PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Water Sports Season - Improvement Goals

mikeg205
05-01-2013, 01:56 AM
We have the guru's and what we need is goals and advice.

payment will be pats on the back and of course beer. ;)

each person wanting help will post goals and current video - I will start.

Goal #1 Consistent Slalom deep water starts - done
Goal #2 Pull agressively thru wake on edge - not even close
Goal #3 Improve wake board skills.

here's my 2013 openers

Wake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60iOLzrH6Wk

Slalom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1aB3I6IApA

Kyle kind enough to start helping so I have homework to do... :)

Next video's coming soon...

mike

epnault
05-01-2013, 02:18 AM
It's cool you got out already. My inlaws live in IL and they said the flooding is bad down there.

I set 2 goals on Jan 20 of this year. The second is contingent on the 1st.

1. Drop a minimum of 30lbs by June 1st by counting calories an doing Cross Fitness 5 days a week. I have 5 lbs left to go and a month to get it done.

2. Learn how to ski a slalom course

Looking forward to summer

Kyle
05-01-2013, 02:32 AM
Mike add a goal #4 and keep it at that since it will tie with goal #2

You're left foot forward and can pull reasonably aggressive from 1,3,5 (left turn, on side turn) then cross the wake and get on the left flat getting ready for your 2,4,6 (right turn, off side turn) and you get real flat.

Goal 4

Turn the ski symmetrically even on both sides. Doing this will go hand in hand with being aggressive.

Don't set too many goals. But doing goal 4 then 2 will start to autatically happen.

mikeg205
05-01-2013, 08:55 AM
Update with Kyle's rec. We have the guru's and what we need is goals and advice.

Goal #3 Improve wake board skills
Goal #4 Turn the ski symmetrically even on both sides (per kyle)

here's my 2013 openers

Wake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60iOLzrH6Wk

Slalom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1aB3I6IApA

Kyle kind enough to start helping so I have homework to do... :)

Next video's coming soon...

mike

mzimme
05-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Good thread. I hope to progress a lot this year.

1) Lose 10 pounds by Memorial Weekend
2) Consistently get up on a slalom ski and learn the basics
3) Go W2W on the wakeboard
4) Surf with no rope

We'll see how it goes!

mikeg205
05-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Good thread. I hope to progress a lot this year.

1) Lose 10 pounds by Memorial Weekend
2) Consistently get up on a slalom ski and learn the basics
3) Go W2W on the wakeboard
4) Surf with no rope

We'll see how it goes!

Post video so we can see progress. :)

mzimme
05-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Post video so we can see progress. :)

I'll try. My gopro is now at the bottom of a lake, so hopefully my buddy brings his on board. He was smart enough to buy the floaty. It was out of stock when I looked. :(

Astepatatime
05-01-2013, 01:46 PM
So this will be our second season doing watersports. The video attached below is early in the season, maybe 4-5 trips to the lake, after stepping into bindings for the first time. But it's the only video I have so it'll have to do. By the end of last year's season, I had quite a bit more control, could rotate the board (180?) to ride goofy, and got enough air to put a shoebox under.

Goals for this year:
1. Master the wake our new X55 will put out. Might be a bit scary at first (the video is from an I/O)
2. Get Air - go W2W
3. work on some handle passing skills
4. Learn to wakesurf

We (wife, son, and I) plan to get some private lessons to help along the way.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZaxbamvLbM

TxsRiverRat
05-01-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm going to run 28 off this year.... I got 3 @ 28 last season.

GoneBoatN
05-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Two goals this year:

1) Do one invert on a wakeboard.
2) Survive #1 relatively uninjured.

:headbang:

mikeg205
05-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Two goals this year:

1) Do one invert on a wakeboard.
2) Survive #1 relatively uninjured.

:headbang:

Outstanding goal... especially #2 - Park Bonifay says it's water not concrete so throw the trick... if that's true ;) why are faceplants soooo unpleasant...? ;)

76S&S
05-01-2013, 05:51 PM
1. Get inverted on the wakeboard.
Wait I've already done that.

1.a. Get inverted on the wakeboard on purpose.
2. Ride away from 1.a.
3. Survive the above while turning 50 this summer.

Would love to get back on a course, but there currently isn't one on our lake. Just discovered that there is an old college ski team member a few houses down from me at the lake. We went to the same school a couple of years apart. Hopefully we can get together and do some slalom this year.

GoneBoatN
05-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Park Bonifay says it's water not concrete so throw the trick...

Something tells me he wears a knee brace for a reason.

if that's true ;) why are faceplants soooo unpleasant...? ;)
It's amazing how much harder water gets as you get above 20. Wakeboard digs in = 21.5->0 while body continues at 21.5.

Last time I was out I ended up a little too much on the back foot on a wake jump and did about 140 degrees without even trying. Why would that remaining 220 degrees be so difficult?

mikeg205
05-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Something tells me he wears a knee brace for a reason.

It's amazing how much harder water gets as you get above 20. Wakeboard digs in = 21.5->0 while body continues at 21.5.

Last time I was out I ended up a little too much on the back foot on a wake jump and did about 140 degrees without even trying. Why would that remaining 220 degrees be so difficult?

You got video of the 140? ;)

mxhideout
05-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Goal #1: Actually get out on the lake (For us in MN)
Goal #2: Learn basics of slalom
Goal #3: Learn basics of wakeboarding
Goal #4: Don't die

mikeg205
05-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Goal #1: Actually get out on the lake (For us in MN)
Goal #2: Learn basics of slalom
Goal #3: Learn basics of wakeboarding
Goal #4: Don't die

I don't like #4 - :( -

I know #1 has been rough... the illinois river for most is still 7-8 feet above flood stage...

mxhideout
05-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Lol, if you knew me in person you'd know that I occasionally add a hint to sarcasm to things I say. ;)

What exactly does it mean when it's that far above flood stage? Most decent sized lakes here are still covered in ice...

wakeX2wake
05-02-2013, 07:52 AM
see my signature...

i want to get comfy on rails... hit a cable park on a trip last weekend and sliders kickers etc are mega addictive... never played with em much as i didn't care to gnar up my boards but now i've got a couple extras to play with and plan on scarrring up a couple this yr

learn to spin better
add couple of upside downy things
learn a switch invert

JohnE
05-02-2013, 10:29 AM
My goal is to ski one more time than last year. Last year was zero times.

nickespi
05-02-2013, 10:44 AM
360s and inverts on wakeboard
Spins on surfer

jschildm
05-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Slalom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G48fst4VcrA - Slalom video before lesson

After a late season visit with Doug @ The Liquid Edge for my first ever slalom lesson (been slaloming since I was about 8 and am now 27) ...

1. BEND KNEES
2. Lead with hips (not shoulders)

End Goal: Make it through a slalom course.

Its been a hard process to do "drills" and change things I have been doing for a long time. Right now I am about half and half, but I have a long ways to go. Hopefully can make it back for a lesson earlier this year.

Wakeboard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz7xoB5dMh0

1. Get better riding on my opposite foot
2. Tricks on the flat
3. Do a trick (was working on wake 2 wake 180 but would settle for anything)

Both:

1. Not be afraid because of my knee
2. Not hurt my knee

Sorry for the videos being really far away and a long post.

mikeg205
05-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Slalom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G48fst4VcrA - Slalom video before lesson

After a late season visit with Doug @ The Liquid Edge for my first ever slalom lesson (been slaloming since I was about 8 and am now 27) ...

1. BEND KNEES
2. Lead with hips (not shoulders)

End Goal: Make it through a slalom course.

Its been a hard process to do "drills" and change things I have been doing for a long time. Right now I am about half and half, but I have a long ways to go. Hopefully can make it back for a lesson earlier this year.

Wakeboard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz7xoB5dMh0

1. Get better riding on my opposite foot
2. Tricks on the flat
3. Do a trick (was working on wake 2 wake 180 but would settle for anything)

Both:

1. Not be afraid because of my knee
2. Not hurt my knee

Sorry for the videos being really far away and a long post.

I'm with J... we can encourage each other... I am getting a bit better and will be using my video camera after every run to make sure I lead with hips and be agressive.

88 PS190
05-02-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm planning on a trip to farmer city hopefully near the end of the month. Went once and was good stuff.

Mike - What I see when I watch your video is a tendency to have slack before you start your first cut.

If you do any one single thing - pull out - but ride the pull out with the handle so you don't have the slack, you never want to start a cut while holding slack line, it just doesn't work, also keep your hands on the handle on that first cut, no reason to let go with the outside hand, atleast not until you have started linking a bunch of turns with out slack.

Kyle
05-02-2013, 10:14 PM
My goals for 2013.

1) Run -38 off. Last year was 3@-38. This year so far I'm at 3@-35 after 2) 4 pass sets.

2) Attack the wake harder on sky ski. I learned the left flat gainer and right flat back roll last year. Also I want w2w wake roll instead of my 3/4 wake roll or back roll, Right side gainer, then the front roll and wake roll that is the opposite rotation as the current rolls. This will add 3 more inverts to the 3 that I already know.

3) Lift up my skirt, grab my bag, and learn to throw a mobe on the left flat. (Gainer on port side flat where you come in wrapped and unwrap the 360* while inverted, ball & chain) or learn a fung schway (gainer that is not wrapped so when you there the gainer you release one hand and start to rotate while doing the gainer and do a handle pass behind the back all while doing a gainer).

mikeg205
05-02-2013, 10:27 PM
After stepping threw frames.. I can see some problems.. regarding the slack yeah I will be scrutinizing ever run...this side by side shows a number of issues...

#1 not leading with hips
#2 rope held to high
#3 ski riding low
#4 ski not in an aggressive enough turn
#5 shoulders need to be pulled back to maintain stacked position.

luv the new camera... : )

Going to make my a camera mount out of pvc that looks like the one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200905164816?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Kyle
05-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Mike I can't ski west coast slalom. Are you trying to learn it because Marcus is your favorite skier or because his style of skiing is closest to yours.

I'm more of a Parrish or Cox skier. Both non west coast skiers.

epnault
05-02-2013, 11:50 PM
I like this thread. I am on track to meet my weight reduction target by the time I ski for the first time this year. I have free slalom skied for years and love it but ever since my neighbor at the lake asked me to try his course last year I got a bug. I know it would be advised to get professional help and I am going to try to get down to Liquid Edge but my international travel schedule is a biatch this year. If you were starting fresh, in great physical shape and wanted to learn how to ski a slalom course for the first time, what would be your course of action? I know for some of you, you are going to have to go back in time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am very driven person that takes advice so if it means I do some sort of training drills most of the season well so be it. I want to do this bad!!
Thanks,
Eric

Kyle
05-03-2013, 12:06 AM
Eric

I teach lots of newbie skiers.

Do NOT ski the course 1,2,3,4,5,6

The key is trying to get a pattern of timing. So start by cheating the gates going to 1 ball. Cheating meaning simulate them being 10' or more closer to the pregates. Then ski 5' inside of ball 1,2,3,4,5 and then ski around 6. Once that is accomplished ski or shadow 1,2,3,4 then ski around 5 and 6. Then shadow 1,2,3 and ski around 4,5,6. Do this until you can run the course.

After running the course add the gates.

If you try by running gates followed by running it 1,2,3...... And you mess up then you stop skiing and the entire rhythm and timing does not get recognized. We have a mini course inside of our standard course. So my students run the mini and start adding standard buoys from the finish to the start.

Just skiing around random buoys will get you nothing. After you learn to run the course and you mess up shadow the buoy you messed up at and get back into it. Until then learn the course backwards. It works

epnault
05-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Kyle
Cool idea and noted. I am a total newbie and I am sure I have horrible habits. Do you have any training tips when I can't use a course? Good video, etc

Kyle
05-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Eric

Unfortunately I've never used a training video or much less taken a lesson. I learned the course backwards out of a book. Then I watched the pros on YouTube. I learned to ski by hard knocks and skiing every day. Seriously I skied 70+ days in a row and sometimes 2x a day. Longest ski streak ever was pushing 85 consecutive days. Skied on whitecaps, wind, rain, it didnt matter. I planned my day around skiing and what time would would be the best time to go. Oh and the lake is not in my back yard.....it is 30 min or more away.

I went from not being able to ski the course at all to going to the nationals in 3 yrs. the key is time on the water. Not really the videos for sale.

epnault
05-03-2013, 02:03 AM
Thanks, that is sound advice. Accessability to my lake is very good but the course I need to rely on my neighbor on the weekends. If you could only free ski, what would you do then between course experience?

This is where I am starting from. The video is a couple years old but to put it frankly I don't think I have progressed much farther in the past couple of years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXdE7jtwoe0&feature=youtu.be

76S&S
05-03-2013, 09:12 AM
It looks to me like you are locking your front leg, especially on your off side turn.

I'm more old school like Kyle. You should be able to draw a straight line from your shoulders through your hips to your feet, thus keeping you centered on the ski. Get those shoulders back and edge all the way through the wake.

mikeg205
05-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Thanks, that is sound advice. Accessability to my lake is very good but the course I need to rely on my neighbor on the weekends. If you could only free ski, what would you do then between course experience?

This is where I am starting from. The video is a couple years old but to put it frankly I don't think I have progressed much farther in the past couple of years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXdE7jtwoe0&feature=youtu.be

Same problem as me epnault has the right coaching...that's what i am working on this year...

Must keep shoulders back and body stacked... that's what I going to be thinking on my next time out....

This is going to be a great coaching thread!!! :)

barefoot
05-03-2013, 10:00 AM
2013 Barefooting Goals:

Get up long line backwards. Work on driving chin and chest into water and holding 3-point position. Hold handle on butt and accentuate bent knee position.

Strengthen right one foots. Stop plowing…start gliding. Work into right one-foot toe-holds. Get comfortable holding and riding position.

Be able to do all tricks long line that I can do on the boom.

TxsRiverRat
05-03-2013, 10:35 AM
1) Run -38 off. Last year was 3@-38. This year so far I'm at 3@-35 after 2) 4 pass sets.

This is because you were skiing behind a bada-- pimp boat with a bada-- pimp driver!

:D :D :D

mlawler34
05-03-2013, 11:00 AM
This thread is fantastic. I bought my X Star last year and a bunch of us started wakeboarding all basically newbies. What made us go wake to wake for the first time was a $100 bet between three of us. Two losers paid winner $50. So this thread is great to help learn, grow and PUSH people. Without the bet not sure I would have hit the wake that hard for a long time (and yes I did win the bet with video evidence since they were not present (perks of being boat owner)).

So for my goals. First wakeboarding:

1. Toe side wake to wake. (watched a thousand pro videos paying attention to posture approach and take off)
2. Air Raley
3. Learn to ride switch better

The Air Raley is going to be fun. I have boosted into the flats a few times last season with full ballast. Looking forward to this challenge and hopefully not face planting too hard. I can ride switch all day on a snowboard, the wakeboard is a different story.

Also, I asked my future father in law to teach me to slalom. I have never water ski before, but I want to be able to do one of these water sports with him. Wishing we had a mastercraft to tow but his SeaRay will have to do.

Slalom goals:

1. Get out of the water and up on one ski
2. Get comfortable.
3. Link a few turns!

Here is a longer video of myself (Mike) and my lady friend wake boarding and her dad and buddy slalom skiing. Only footage I have of wakeboarding on you tube currently. Longer movie. And save the boat ramp comment lol. It was the first time I ever had the lady back me into the water. But we made it through it! haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfxE1rnZELc

mikeg205
05-03-2013, 11:55 AM
This thread is fantastic. I bought my X Star last year and a bunch of us started wakeboarding all basically newbies. What made us go wake to wake for the first time was a $100 bet between three of us. Two losers paid winner $50. So this thread is great to help learn, grow and PUSH people. Without the bet not sure I would have hit the wake that hard for a long time (and yes I did win the bet with video evidence since they were not present (perks of being boat owner)).

So for my goals. First wakeboarding:

1. Toe side wake to wake. (watched a thousand pro videos paying attention to posture approach and take off)
2. Air Raley
3. Learn to ride switch better

The Air Raley is going to be fun. I have boosted into the flats a few times last season with full ballast. Looking forward to this challenge and hopefully not face planting too hard. I can ride switch all day on a snowboard, the wakeboard is a different story.

Also, I asked my future father in law to teach me to slalom. I have never water ski before, but I want to be able to do one of these water sports with him. Wishing we had a mastercraft to tow but his SeaRay will have to do.

Slalom goals:

1. Get out of the water and up on one ski
2. Get comfortable.
3. Link a few turns!

Here is a longer video of myself (Mike) and my lady friend wake boarding and her dad and buddy slalom skiing. Only footage I have of wakeboarding on you tube currently. Longer movie. And save the boat ramp comment lol. It was the first time I ever had the lady back me into the water. But we made it through it! haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfxE1rnZELc

Nice... I can always do some encouragin' when I am out your way.. ;)

What are you towing the slalom skiers with?

mlawler34
05-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Nice... I can always do some encouragin' when I am out your way.. ;)

What are you towing the slalom skiers with?

The lady friends dad has a 1997 18' SeaRay. Works well for his purposes. Still trying to talk him into getting a '95 or newer 205.

mikeg205
05-03-2013, 12:14 PM
The lady friends dad has a 1997 18' SeaRay. Works well for his purposes. Still trying to talk him into getting a '95 or newer 205.

Oh great - tx...rat will have a good time with this... ;)

TxsRiverRat
05-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Oh great - tx...rat will have a good time with this... ;)

Wasn't there a hull change that ruined the wake between 81 and 97?

http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif

mikeg205
05-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Wasn't there a hull change that ruined the wake between 81 and 97?

http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif

Too funny - I saw that and immediately went there...

mlawler34
05-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Haha oh geez. Not in the loop here but glad to provide the entertainment.

mikeg205
05-03-2013, 02:19 PM

TX..rat - give mlawler the 411 on the searay.

TxsRiverRat
05-03-2013, 02:54 PM
TX..rat - give mlawler the 411 on the searay.

It's become this forum joke after i told the forum about my dad and his boat (the 81 sea ray)... He claimed it was the best ski boat ever made and it was ocean worthy (the sales guy told him so because it had a closed cooling system)... and it could pull 4 skiers, top speed of 41 and on and on and on and on... So, obviously, the 81 sea ray HAS to have a better wake that the 97 LOL

God forbid you tell my dad you've been on a prettier beach than Varadero in Cuba! OMG - imagine ricky ricardo smoking crack!!

Pic i took last week, but this can't compare to Cuba - no way! LMAO

http://s21.postimg.org/c8fqqjzef/Cayman2013_00091.jpg

Sotipnomon
05-03-2013, 11:02 PM
I want to get back to being able to slalom regularly for more than a few minutes at a time without feeling like I was hit by a truck the next day and teach my sons to ski.

mikeg205
05-04-2013, 08:57 AM
I want to get back to being able to slalom regularly for more than a few minutes at a time without feeling like I was hit by a truck the next day and teach my sons to ski.

very nice! :) - where do you ski ?

-V-
05-04-2013, 09:34 AM
two goals for wakeboarding;

1-be able to jump the full wake without bailing.
2-for my girls (6&10) to be able to do more besides just ride right behing the boat.

Sotipnomon
05-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Lake Holiday outside of Crawfordsville will be home base, it is a nice little 150 acre private lake that I have a couple of lots on about 45 minutes away. I grew up spending a lot of time on Racoon and have a buddy with a permanent campsite there now so I'm sure we'll be there some too.

cbryan70
05-05-2013, 12:12 AM

amen to this. A few years ago i was out skiing 3 times a week. Last summer I think i skied twice.....10 good cuts and I was exhausted.

My goal this year is to finally learn to ski the course. I have the course and the guys that ski it all the time willing to teach so hopfully this year I will run 15 off.

Sotipnomon
05-05-2013, 10:20 AM
20 years and 40 pounds make a big difference. The idea of a course is intriguing, I did pick up a "real" ski off craigslist and if it works out I might make a trip to the Buckeye Bash so the boys can see what kind of cool stuff is possible with practice and get a taste of the mastercraft community. Overall though I want to have fun with my kids on the water.

mikeg205
05-05-2013, 10:25 AM
going out today...boarding only.... going to work on staying on edge thru wake....

epnault
05-05-2013, 11:58 AM
You are a lucky and brave man.

Got a question about full wet suits. What water temp is tolerable/safe in one? My wife said the ice will be him by the time I get home next week.

cbryan70
05-05-2013, 11:50 PM
going out today...boarding only.... going to work on staying on edge thru wake....

where are you getting out at? River up here is still flooded

Aric'sX15
05-05-2013, 11:56 PM
land a dang backroll and tantrum & tantrum to blind!!

jschildm
05-16-2013, 08:32 AM
Made it out last night for the first time. Was originally just testing the boat, but the entire lake was glass, so I decided to ski. Had a decent run for the first one of the year. My knee didn't cross my mind (was too worried about the cold water), and I felt like I did a better job of bending my knees. I can't confirm this though, since my coach (wife) wasn't with us. Similar to Mike, its more comfortable turning/crossing the wake right-to-left than left-to-right. I forgot to pay attention to my shoulders .... oops. All in all it felt great to be out on the water on a beautiful evening. I guess I need to invest in a Go-Pro so I can see the many many things I am doing wrong.

ProStar Slalom
05-16-2013, 09:05 AM
[QUOTE=Kyle;931727]Eric

If you try by running gates followed by running it 1,2,3...... And you mess up then you stop skiing and the entire rhythm and timing does not get recognized. We have a mini course inside of our standard course. So my students run the mini and start adding standard buoys from the finish to the start.

Thanks for posting this. My wife used to run full passes, but after a broken ankle several years ago she hasn't run a full pass since....gate, 1, 2, miss 3, or gate, 1, 2, 3, and miss 4...either way the rest of the pass is wasted. I'm going to try this with her this year.

mikeg205
08-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Okay - epic fail...

http://www.youtube.com/edit?ns=1&video_id=-jhxS4Si1As

can't fix stupid

GoneBoatN
08-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Okay - epic fail...

http://www.youtube.com/edit?ns=1&video_id=-jhxS4Si1As

can't fix stupid

For some reason that link does not work for me. I end up going to my uploads section.

mikeg205
08-08-2013, 11:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jhxS4Si1As

this is better.... stupid begets stupid...lol

JMLVMI
08-09-2013, 12:09 AM
BOOM! Had a good chuckle at that!

mikeg205
08-09-2013, 12:10 AM
no more tail riding for me...

jschildm
08-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Lesson coming from Doug at the Liquid Edge next Saturday. Definately pumped for some more humbling :)

Hopefully my wife's shingles dont keep us from camping at Clinton Lake and me missing my lesson. This will be my second in two years. Man I wish he was closer.

GoneBoatN
08-09-2013, 10:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jhxS4Si1As

this is better.... stupid begets stupid...lol

Glad you survived that one. The explicative that came from someone inside the boat was apropos.

JMLVMI
08-10-2013, 01:44 AM
Goal is to run a full pass at 30mph @ 15 off before I winterize the boat. One day lesson at Coble in 3 weeks!

mikeg205
08-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Goal is to run a full pass at 30mph @ 15 off before I winterize the boat. One day lesson at Coble in 3 weeks!

Awesome on the lesson...

mikeg205
08-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Lesson coming from Doug at the Liquid Edge next Saturday. Definately pumped for some more humbling :)

Hopefully my wife's shingles dont keep us from camping at Clinton Lake and me missing my lesson. This will be my second in two years. Man I wish he was closer.

Dang - shingles - hope she feels better soon... hope you make it.

mikeg205
08-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Glad you survived that one. The explicative that came from someone inside the boat was apropos.

Helmet I believe took care of my ear... slapped water well - cheek was tingling... thanks!

svxwilson
08-20-2013, 04:04 PM
I have another thread with some videos of me but I didn't get many replies on how to improve. I have been watching videos on you tube for some reference points on body positioning, grip, and a variety of other drills. They have helped. But I am looking for some pointers specifically from all you knowledgeable slalom skiers.
In these videos I was ridding with both palms down. I am going to experiment with different grips as I think this may have been one of the things I have been missing.

The major things I know I need to work on are:

1. Improve body possitioning
2. Keep a edge through the wake
3. Loosing my bad habits that I have developed

svxwilson
08-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Fun crash in this one.

mikeg205
08-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Get to go out today... today's goals.. keep handle close to body and inside should back thru wake...

mikeg205
08-20-2013, 04:36 PM
I have another thread with some videos of me but I didn't get many replies on how to improve. I have been watching videos on you tube for some reference points on body positioning, grip, and a variety of other drills. They have helped. But I am looking for some pointers specifically from all you knowledgeable slalom skiers.
In these videos I was ridding with both palms down. I am going to experiment with different grips as I think this may have been one of the things I have been missing.

Love that scenery... would be hard to get me off the water... there..

svxwilson
08-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Love that scenery... would be hard to get me off the water... there..

When this storm hit we were 15 miles downstream from our truck n trailer.

mxhideout
08-20-2013, 06:09 PM
Went out last night, going again shortly, and hopefully going a few more times in the next week with this warm weather.

macattack
08-20-2013, 08:44 PM

Check out this thread and video link which explains the "norm" for the proper hand grip; of course, there are always exceptions. Your short list above is a great start; stacked body position and handle low is key to your success; don't try a slalom course unless you want to be addicted for life:)

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=56342&page=5

mikeg205
08-21-2013, 09:17 AM
We have the guru's and what we need is goals and advice.

Goal #3 Improve wake board skills.

mike

Goal #2 Pull agressively thru wake on edge - not even close - went out last night stacked body position much better and keeping handle low thru wake and pull out. Also riding ski better - i.e. not tail riding.

Took me a lot longer to fatigue. Prolly road for over 45 minutes in 4 sets.

Goal #3 Improve wake board skills - not much done, son at college and he likes to wake board.

Will have to get a ski dock to get more video.

mikeg205
08-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Made some new helper decals - I think it looks better than orange duct tape...lol ;) - since I don't have a course near by... :) - may make them red like the bouys...

mikeg205
08-26-2013, 10:20 PM
Finally - some decent edging on my weak side...

mxhideout
08-27-2013, 09:20 PM
Hooo boy, what another great day on the lake... I think I've skied more in the past week and a half than the rest of my life, lol. One side of the lake was glass, and since we had the boom up for my littlest sister (on one ski for the first time) my dad told me to try barefooting. I said what the butt and got out there... Let me tell you, those two short runs have already got me hooked! Only had to go about 35mph too. I really wish I had brought my gopro. As far as slalom, I need to work on pulling the slack back and turning faster.

sp00ky
08-27-2013, 09:50 PM
Oh man I just want a Raley before I die. I have a back roll and tantrum very consistently. I would love to add a toe side back roll and a freakin Raley.

svxwilson
08-31-2013, 01:10 AM
Had my best run of the summer. Which being my first summer with my own ski boat, it was the best ride ever. I love my new addiction. My poor guns and reloading room are collecting dust and webs. Love it!

mikeg205
08-31-2013, 08:26 AM
Had my best run of the summer. Which being my first summer with my own ski boat, it was the best ride ever. I love my new addiction. My poor guns and reloading room are collecting dust and webs. Love it!

awesome!!!

mikeg205
10-10-2013, 05:41 PM
okay - life event - and a PB

2.25 balls 15 off at 30 mph... at Liquid Edge Farmer City Illinois - today...

Have a new found respect for this sport - now have more goals for 2014 ski season...

TOO-TALL
10-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Awesome!!

TxsRiverRat
10-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Got out last night:

Set 1 - sun was right on the buoy line and gates, but I skied well with the sun to my back.

6@ 15/30
3@ 15/32 (%$#@ sun in eyes)
6@ 15/32
3@ 15/34 (%$#@ sun in eyes)
4@ 15/34
4@ 15/34 (%$#@ sun in eyes)

Set 2... Winds shifted, giving me a nice head/tail wind (hate tailwinds) I kept it @ 32 mph to work on a few things...

3@ 15/32 (tailwind)
6@ 15/32
3@ 15/32 (tailwind)
6@ 15/32
3@ 15/32 (tailwind)
6@ 15/32
6@ 15/32 (figured out the tailwind finally)
6@ 15/32

==========

While I only for to 4 @ 22/34 this year, missing my goal of running 28 off, I didn;t do too bad considering a poor 1st half of the season plagued with a bad elbow...

MC

JMLVMI
10-11-2013, 10:48 AM
okay - life event - and a PB

2.25 balls 15 off at 30 mph... at Liquid Edge Farmer City Illinois - today...

Have a new found respect for this sport - now have more goals for 2014 ski season...

Awesome! I have a feeling we can push each other. I did 4@30/-15 a couple of weeks ago, and I've got a new ski for 2014 :-)

mikeg205
10-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Awesome! I have a feeling we can push each other. I did 4@30/-15 a couple of weeks ago, and I've got a new ski for 2014 :-)

Let's do it... !!! We can use "oh the sun was in my eyes when we miss a ball" Sorry TX could not resist the setup... :D :D :D - envy is an ugly thing... :D:D:D

scott023
10-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Got out last night:

Set 1 - sun was right on the buoy line and gates, but I skied well with the sun to my back.

6@ 15/30
3@ 15/32 (%$#@ sun in eyes)
6@ 15/32
3@ 15/34 (%$#@ sun in eyes)
4@ 15/34
4@ 15/34 (%$#@ sun in eyes)

Set 2... Winds shifted, giving me a nice head/tail wind (hate tailwinds) I kept it @ 32 mph to work on a few things...

3@ 15/32 (tailwind)
6@ 15/32
3@ 15/32 (tailwind)
6@ 15/32
3@ 15/32 (tailwind)
6@ 15/32
6@ 15/32 (figured out the tailwind finally)
6@ 15/32

==========

While I only for to 4 @ 22/34 this year, missing my goal of running 28 off, I didn;t do too bad considering a poor 1st half of the season plagued with a bad elbow...

MC

The Old tennis elbow excuse. ;):D

TxsRiverRat
10-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Let's do it... !!! We can use "oh the sun was in my eyes when we miss a ball" Sorry TX could not resist the setup... :D :D :D - envy is an ugly thing... :D:D:D

LOL, well look at the scores - I ran passes until i got to 34 - all away from the sun ;)

The Old tennis elbow excuse. ;):D

And my skiing was instantly improved 15 days after the cortisone/steroid shot I took... ;)

TxsRiverRat
10-11-2013, 12:49 PM
FYI

The orthopedic dr told me i had Lateral Epicondylitis... weightlifters elbow... As soon as i got the shot, i went from struggling at all speeds / line lengths @ 30 to 3@22/34 :)

JMLVMI
10-11-2013, 01:31 PM
LOL, well look at the scores - I ran passes until i got to 34 - all away from the sun ;)

http://www.bglasses.com/ Floating sunglasses...used them this season and loved them. :cool:

scott023
10-11-2013, 01:52 PM
FYI

The orthopedic dr told me i had Lateral Epicondylitis... weightlifters elbow... As soon as i got the shot, i went from struggling at all speeds / line lengths @ 30 to 3@22/34 :)

So you'd do it again?

TxsRiverRat
10-11-2013, 02:31 PM
http://www.bglasses.com/ Floating sunglasses...used them this season and loved them. :cool:

I have a pair of goggles, but the glare i think would still blind me. Even on our 180 turn to line up, wearing 100% UV sunglasses, it was hard to see the spot to turn as the driver... Either way, I was ok with knowing I owuld have hit 100% had the sun not been an issue.

So you'd do it again?

If you mean re the shot: In a word: ABSOLUTELY! Shot was amazing, regardless of how much it hurt getting it.

mxhideout
10-11-2013, 04:24 PM
I wish I was still improving, but we haven't gone out in quite some time due to weather not cooperating. Every time the temperature is decent, the wind is blowing/gusting 15-35mph. :(

I think I've made it out maybe ten times this year, which makes about.... 13 total.