PDA

View Full Version : Career change at 39 ??

rodltg2
04-29-2013, 10:53 PM
Some of you older members may know a bit of my history. What I have been doing for the last 13 years is sales and installation of natural stone countertops. I kinda fell into this career path a$$ backwards and although I have somewhat enjoyed it , it's definately not my passion. Over the last decade I have dabbled in other ventures , boat sales and I even bought a restaurant. Neither of which has panned out real well and left much money on the table. I really enjoyed owning the restaurant ,but the margins were so small and it left hardly anytime for waterskiing !

The countertop business has kept food on the table and I made good money when the economy was strong. I am however ready for something new. 3 years ago I actually decided to attend the police academy. I did for two reasons, just to see if I could do it and for a possible career change. Unfortunalty law enforcement jobs are few and far between. I did make it out of 50 applicants to the last two for a local department. My certificate is now expired and cop jobs are still slim.

So now I am still hoping to find my calling! I am mentally done with granite countertops and I need something else !

I am thinking something in aviation. I am a private pilot although I haven't flown in a while. I don't see myself as an airline pilot. So I was thinking air traffic control. But I am too old. Cut off is 35. Other option is flight dispatcher. Career path looks promising. Am I crazy to pursue a new career at may age? Anyone on here have any insight on this career?

mikeg205
04-29-2013, 11:18 PM
I changed 3x times since college computer programming, product development, marketing and now sales... now being older... 53 years young my passion lies in spending time with family and friends - family and friends on the water is tops, then road bicycling and a few other things... it's quality of life is what I look for.

One thing I have learned from my advanced age - everything has a trade off.... it's about choice.. as long as I can make most of the choices I'm good...

What are you very good at? I am pretty good at a lot of things...but not extremely good in any one thing...except being MCOCD.

pmkkdx
04-30-2013, 08:39 AM
As an engineering manager, I have quite a few people working for me that had drastic career changes in their mid 30s into mid 40s due to downturn in economy or not passionate with what they were doing. Most went back to tech school/community college and obtained a 2 year degree (or classes towards) in Computer Aided Design ... they came from aviation technicians, a/c repair, automotive repair, housewife, sales, custom home builder/laborer, real estate, etc. The stronger mechanically inclined really accelerate in the mechanical design areas and likewise those with some electrical background make good progress in the printed wiring board/chip design/cabling areas. Decent pay, normal office hours, work inside in normal office environment with respectable employer provided benefits ... just a thought on possible avenues.

gid
04-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Col Sanders didnt create KFC till he retired. I think he was in his late 60's or 70's.

I am debating getting a food franchise - Nashville Hot Chicken, its huge here. But, the cube life I have now is really cush, 7-4 each day, 4 day weekends thru the summer. Its an easy way right now but, can I be here for another 20 yrs?

Traxx822
04-30-2013, 09:17 AM
I'm not as old as you guys :0 but My father always told me life is all about what you can and can't deal with.

As a private pilot myself (Currently earning my IFR endorsement) I don know there is a lot of openings for flight instructors. In fact you could buy an airplane and do your own instruction and not work for someone else. You get to fly for free, teach what you like to do, and get paid for it. However there is not a ton of money in it if you don't have a decent client base.

I think in my retirement I will be doing just that. But I am a biased.

Covi
04-30-2013, 09:28 AM
www.poletoplate.com

My new venture at 42 y/o. I hoping it will have a following and take off. I have had a ton of positive feed back thus far.

So make the choices you want. It's never to late!

Traxx822
04-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Not a bad idea Covi, I too urn for fresh fish. We baked up some catfish for dinner last night. It was good. But not that fresh. I'm guessing the price goes way up for your clients. And you are looking at finer restaurants. Correct?

coz
04-30-2013, 09:34 AM
Am I crazy to pursue a new career at may age?

You'll never know until you try, you obviously have options to fall back of if it doesn't work. You'd be kicking yourself in the transom if in 5 years you look back and say "why didn't I do that?". Go for it Rod, good luck man.

aquaman
04-30-2013, 10:12 AM
I thought I might be too old to go back to Grad school when i was 30 yrs, so i did a little reading before making my decision. Just a couple of examples from the numerous stories i read.

Ray Kroc was near 60 yrs when he started McDonalds.

Same for Henry Ford.......

They did ok ? :)

Its never too late to start a new adventure.

GoneBoatN
04-30-2013, 11:30 AM
I thought I might be too old to go back to Grad school when i was 30 yrs, so i did a little reading before making my decision. Just a couple of examples from the numerous stories i read.

Ray Kroc was near 60 yrs when he started McDonalds.

Same for Henry Ford.......

They did ok ? :)

Its never too late to start a new adventure.

Honestly, I think it may be much easier at that time. Generally, you are free of the financial obligation for your children at that time. Hopefully, your financial situation is at least somewhat secure by that point. That leaves you with the ability to go do something different and no one is going to go without food on the table or a roof over their head. I have just a few more years until I get there but it is well within sight. I keep telling myself that it is not that much longer.

Career change at 39 doable? Most certainly. Some/most people use their current job/background/education to springboard into something different. Some go back to school/training for a period to enable a different route. Determine what you want to do. Formulate a plan that gets you there. Decide if that plan is something you can live with. Go for it. Remember the old saying , plans rarely fail...

TxsRiverRat
04-30-2013, 11:55 AM
I have several close friends that are pilots and when they are between jobs, itís upwards of a 2 year layoff. My advise is to stick to what you know, and moonlight in what you wanna do until you know you can branch out.

mikeg205
04-30-2013, 11:57 AM
I'm not as old as you guys :0 but My father always told me life is all about what you can and can't deal with.

As a private pilot myself (Currently earning my IFR endorsement) I don know there is a lot of openings for flight instructors. In fact you could buy an airplane and do your own instruction and not work for someone else. You get to fly for free, teach what you like to do, and get paid for it. However there is not a ton of money in it if you don't have a decent client base.

I think in my retirement I will be doing just that. But I am a biased.

watch how you refer to old ;)

JohnE
04-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Rod from what I've gauged over the years, you need to be self employed or have similar freedom so to speak such as a manufacturer rep, sales rep, or something similar. If granite was selling like it was in 05 I doubt you'd have lost your passion for it. I'm not being cynical, same holds for me in my contracting business.

Double D
04-30-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm 46 and I think of a career change every day. So I can be the guy that says "I Love What I Do"...

Covi
04-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Traxx,

keeping it simple to start. You buy into a weekly or bi weekly membership ( 6 weeks or 3 months) Portioned in either 2 or 4. You can add more portions as you go but then pay per portion. At the moment I serve 2 white table cloth restaurants and not looking to pick up any more. These accounts really cut into my margin. My most expensive is 504 for a 4 portion 3 month membership. Least expensive is 126$ for a bi weekly, 6 week membership.

Not a bad idea Covi, I too urn for fresh fish. We baked up some catfish for dinner last night. It was good. But not that fresh. I'm guessing the price goes way up for your clients. And you are looking at finer restaurants. Correct?

east tx skier
04-30-2013, 03:15 PM
My closest friend from law school opened a brewery last year. He is working his tail off, but has found great success. Your being in CA, I wouldn't suggest that path since that industry is full there.

mikeg205
04-30-2013, 03:31 PM
Traxx,

keeping it simple to start. You buy into a weekly or bi weekly membership ( 6 weeks or 3 months) Portioned in either 2 or 4. You can add more portions as you go but then pay per portion. At the moment I serve 2 white table cloth restaurants and not looking to pick up any more. These accounts really cut into my margin. My most expensive is 504 for a 4 portion 3 month membership. Least expensive is 126$ for a bi weekly, 6 week membership.

nu-uh... that would cut into water time... no way - no how... ;)

Traxx822
04-30-2013, 10:23 PM
nu-uh... that would cut into water time... no way - no how... ;)

How would that cut into any boat time? Sounds like easy ROI. What's your percentage on that. I'm thinking my fiance could sell fish. Lol no seriously this seems neat. What percentage of return do you get? I got some wedding money coming. Covi, I might buy your next portion for some consultation and direction.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Lumbergh
05-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Kind of old to really hit it as an airline pilot, as seniority is everything, and that is hand in hand with age.

However, there will be tremendous opportunity for pilot jobs in the coming decade. Huge retirement numbers and maybe even some growth.

Time off, there is ample opportunity for more than average time off in the flying career. Not hard to have 15 days off per month.

YMMV.

gocougs
05-01-2013, 12:38 PM
My cousin just retired at 55 from being a park ranger/manager, took a course and became a long distance trucker for a year, then decided to get in the airline industry and is now a flight attendant. Seems to be a need for older males for that line of work. That maybe something to look into for travel and schedule that would fit. I've been a high school history teacher for 24 years now and will be looiking soon enough for a job that I don't have to plan for every day and entertain 150 teenagers for 5 one hour shows!

Ski-me
05-01-2013, 01:03 PM
My cousin just retired at 55 from being a park ranger/manager, took a course and became a long distance trucker for a year, then decided to get in the airline industry and is now a flight attendant. Seems to be a need for older males for that line of work. That maybe something to look into for travel and schedule that would fit. I've been a high school history teacher for 24 years now and will be looiking soon enough for a job that I don't have to plan for every day and entertain 150 teenagers for 5 one hour shows!

5 - one hour shows.....that's an awesome way of looking at it! :cool:

87 TriStar 190
05-02-2013, 02:08 PM
My wife is a kindergarten teacher. I think she puts on about 40, ten minutes shows a day. She stays until after 6:00 and then comes home and plans the next set of 40, ten minutes segments a week out so she always has forward lesson plans. Early in the year she has several students that are non-English speaking. That makes it more difficult to hold their attention. She loves the kids and wouldn't want to do anything else. But, she does get tired of the ever increasing regulations and testing requirements that continually flow down from federal and state. Teaching time is replaced by testing time.

milkmania
05-08-2013, 11:44 AM
If Eric Estrada can do it..... you can too!!!!!
http://www.starstills.com/product_images/l/ss3530098_-_photograph_of_erik_estrada_as_officer_francis_lle wellyn_ponch_poncherello_from_chips_available_in_4 _sizes_framed_or_unframed_buy_now_at_starstills__4 3930.jpg

milkmania
05-08-2013, 11:53 AM
*snip* But, she does get tired of the ever increasing regulations and testing requirements that continually flow down from federal and state.

as I type this, construction workers are putting in a security fence around the ENTIRE Technology Center Campus that I'm substitute teaching at:rolleyes:

https://www.ktc.edu/

campus programs

Automotive Service Technology (https://www.ktc.edu/programs/automotive/automotiveservicetechnology.aspx)

Bio-Medical Sciences (https://www.ktc.edu/programs/stem/biomedicaltechnology.aspx)

Business Administration & Information Technology (https://www.ktc.edu/programs/businesstechnology/businessadministrationinformationtechnology.aspx)

Culinary Arts (https://www.ktc.edu/programs/hospitalityservices/culinaryarts.aspx)

Electrical Technology (https://www.ktc.edu/programs/construction/electricaltechnology.aspx)

Emergency Medical Services (https://www.ktc.edu/programs/healthcare/emergencymedicalservices.aspx)

Health Science (https://www.ktc.edu/programs/healthcare/healthscience.aspx)

HVAC Technology (https://www.ktc.edu/programs/construction/hvactechnology.aspx)

Practical Nursing (https://www.ktc.edu/programs/healthcare/practicalnursing.aspx)

Service Careers Technology (https://www.ktc.edu/programs/hospitalityservices/servicecareerstechnology.aspx)

Welding Technology (https://www.ktc.edu/programs/construction/weldingtechnology.aspx)

Rod, I've watched you over the years... yes, you've tried different things and I applaud you for that. Hopefully, you'll find something you like and stick with it.
But, I really think you get bored too easily and will move onto something else in 2 -3 years.
Good Luck man! with whatever you find

Some of us only wish to have the freedom to move into different vocations

Lumbergh
05-08-2013, 06:22 PM
My cousin just retired at 55 ...then decided to get in the airline industry and is now a flight attendant. Seems to be a need for older males for that line of work. That maybe something to look into for travel and schedule that would fit.

Just an FYI, and no disrespect intended, but be aware that male flight attendant is a homosexual dominated profession. Just so anyone knows what the working environment will be like.

YMMV.

2RLAKE
05-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Kind of old to really hit it as an airline pilot, as seniority is everything, and that is hand in hand with age.

However, there will be tremendous opportunity for pilot jobs in the coming decade. Huge retirement numbers and maybe even some growth.

Time off, there is ample opportunity for more than average time off in the flying career. Not hard to have 15 days off per month.

YMMV.

Problem is working your way up .... Have to start at the bottom for hardly anything and work your way up ... It's purely seniority based. Since I fly a ton, and am on a flight right now, I would really love having the guy in the left seat to be there because of his expertise, not just seniority (yes I understand fully all the work/certification it takes to become a captain) ... Just one mans opinion

Traxx822
05-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Problem is working your way up .... Have to start at the bottom for hardly anything and work your way up ... It's purely seniority based. Since I fly a ton, and am on a flight right now, I would really love having the guy in the left seat to be there because of his expertise, not just seniority (yes I understand fully all the work/certification it takes to become a captain) ... Just one mans opinion

Seniority in pilots means more hours flying. Which means the most experienced. However, right seat does most of the actual flying.

In a emergent situation. I would want the guy on the left in control. 0.02.

Back on topic. There are many openings. Especially in private transport. It doesn't have to be a jet. You could fly a king air or even a CESSNA 210. The pilot of our local airports air taxi stated he makes more flying the king air than he did as a 747 pilot for AirTran.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

rodltg2
05-08-2013, 08:51 PM
I will agree with you milky , I tend to like change. However I've never left the granite countertop business while checking out other options. It's just not my passion and I guess I'm still looking for it. Becoming a professional pilot is not an option. Don't feel that it's the right fit. But I do want to find something in avation or airports.

mikeg205
05-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Just remember your passion can be a hobby and work is something to enable your life. There are weeks and months I hate sales... but then again... I like it when it pays... but it gives me the freedom I need to do my hobbies... Unless what you're doing is sucking the life out of you - Also nothing wrong with reinventing yourself...

The question you need to ask yourself is what is the lowest common denominator that makes you happy.

Everything as a trade-off...everything... Timing helps too. 3 books to read by Malcom Gladwell - Blink and Outliers and Tipping Point... those books help put things in perspective for me... they are NOT self help books - just observations.

JohnE
05-08-2013, 10:13 PM
I will agree with you milky , I tend to like change. However I've never left the granite countertop business while checking out other options. It's just not my passion and I guess I'm still looking for it. Becoming a professional pilot is not an option. Don't feel that it's the right fit. But I do want to find something in avation or airports.

My career and job will never be my passion. Unless I break into the ********* industry. Find something that is rewarding, pays enough to pay the bills, and go with it.