PDA

View Full Version : Back From the Dark Ages... Sort Of

BrianM
09-26-2005, 11:05 AM
Well I am finally getting back from the dark ages after good old Katrina. I have had power for about a week and a half but have had no land phone or cable and internet until yesterday. Got a land line phone yesterday so now I have internet dial-up but am glad to have that. Word on the street is that cable could be another month or more.

It looks like a bomb went off around here but over on my side of the lake things are getting pretty much back to normal except for the 10ft piles of debris everywhere. Who know when they are going to get all of that picked up. Add in another hurricane threat (thanks Rita) and it has pretty much been caos and work for the past month.

As for skiing. I have been once sine the August 29th. That is a serious let down as I had been religiously skiing 4 days a week BK (before Katrina). Now AK (after Katrina) the launch dock and the ski dock at our lake are both out of commission. The ski dock is a total loss the launch dock is just going to take some work to get it fixed and back in place. One of my regular ski partners is on a minimum three month relocation to Dallas (anyone up there willing to give a guy a pull). To top it off the weather (except for the past few days) has been perfect for skiing. I hope to get out once or twice this week and I sure am glad that it is possible to ski year round around here. I haven't eben been able to get used to the new ski yet.

Well at least I'm living and have a place to live and can complain about not being able to ski as much.

Glad to be back around here. Nothing has changed. Try cutting this board out of your life cold turkey for a month. Not fun......................

Dan K
09-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Welcome back Brian,
We were wondering how you were doing. Glad to hear everything is beginning to et back to normal for you. There are a lot of people like your ski partner that are going to be displaced for some time to come.
Keep us posted when you can, I know dial up is a pain.

east tx skier
09-26-2005, 11:48 AM
Welcome back, Brian. I had a lot of relatives in from Houston this weekend fleeing Rita. They were spared the worst of it and finally made it back about midnight last night. Glad you're doing alright.

Ric
09-26-2005, 12:14 PM
I had visions of what you must have been going thru when I was grabbing whatever I could think of and locked the door behind me wednesday!
We dodged a bullet here, I know that for a fact. Hang in there Brian! Hopefully you still have work? You guys come to Houston, we'll pull ya around some bouys!

Well I am finally getting back from the dark ages after good old Katrina. I have had power for about a week and a half but have had no land phone or cable and internet until yesterday. Got a land line phone yesterday so now I have internet dial-up but am glad to have that. Word on the street is that cable could be another month or more.

It looks like a bomb went off around here but over on my side of the lake things are getting pretty much back to normal except for the 10ft piles of debris everywhere. Who know when they are going to get all of that picked up. Add in another hurricane threat (thanks Rita) and it has pretty much been caos and work for the past month.

As for skiing. I have been once sine the August 29th. That is a serious let down as I had been religiously skiing 4 days a week BK (before Katrina). Now AK (after Katrina) the launch dock and the ski dock at our lake are both out of commission. The ski dock is a total loss the launch dock is just going to take some work to get it fixed and back in place. One of my regular ski partners is on a minimum three month relocation to Dallas (anyone up there willing to give a guy a pull). To top it off the weather (except for the past few days) has been perfect for skiing. I hope to get out once or twice this week and I sure am glad that it is possible to ski year round around here. I haven't eben been able to get used to the new ski yet.

Well at least I'm living and have a place to live and can complain about not being able to ski as much.

Glad to be back around here. Nothing has changed. Try cutting this board out of your life cold turkey for a month. Not fun......................

stevo137
09-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Glad to see that you guys are OK!

BriEOD
09-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Glad things are getting better B.

erkoehler
09-26-2005, 02:55 PM
Glad to hear that you are doing ok. If here is anything that we can do for you, just let us know.....

bradamerry
09-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Glad to hear you folks are doing better, Brandy has asked me many times about you. She has even been worried about Ric. Funny how we worry about folks we have never even meet. Good people go along way. :woohoo:

erkoehler
09-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Just shows how close knit the MC community truly is :D

Ric
09-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Glad to hear you folks are doing better, Brandy has asked me many times about you. She has even been worried about Ric. Funny how we worry about folks we have never even meet. Good people go along way. :woohoo:
Thanks Brad I actually was going to call you and Brandy when I heard it may end up in your backyard :eek:
anybody ever thought that we might not be able to stand each other if we'd met in person :confused: naahhh . we share a common bond!

I dont think I know anybody on the Trinity river but whose to say that livingston dam isn't our next huge catastrophy?!!
One thing's for sure all waterfront prop owners on that lake will be able to get some repairs and so forth done in the next few months with the lake down about 10ft ! (it's a constant level lake for those not familiar with the area)

shepherd
09-26-2005, 10:40 PM
Glad you made it through relatively unscathed. We've been pretty lucky here, dodged a few bullets (though we got "winged" a few times by Ivan and Dennis). Hope you can get on the water more often now. You can ski without a launch dock and ski dock can't you? :popcorn:

Mag_Red
09-26-2005, 11:03 PM
:toast: Glad to hear you're back!!!

RickDV
09-26-2005, 11:17 PM
Welcome back Brian. Can't imagine what you have been going through. Our thoughts and prayers have been with everyone in the Gulf area.