PDA

View Full Version : 94 ps 190 start issue

h2oskifreak
04-28-2013, 12:49 PM
First day out was not what I was hoping for. Dunked her with what I thought was a freshly charged 2 year old Interstate Marine battery and only a soft click. I was getting power but not enough to do much other than hear a fuel injector and the aforementioned soft click, not the starter engaging at all. So, my thought goes to bad battery. Brought it home and put in a battery that came out of a 75 MC (that turned and ran yesterday with this battery). Same issue/sound. This time I did think to check other things like radio and I have power there. Next thought, could it be a fuse. I pulled the dash fuse area and was not expecting to see what I did. Are these special fuses, or just hidden under the metal looking shield/box? Am I on the right track, maybe Motor fuse mentioned on back of engine? What other suggestions plesae, I am ready to ski and my ride isn't. Thanks

Kyle
04-28-2013, 12:59 PM
I would check the starter.

Check where the + and - connect. Is the ground good and tight on the bell housing.

Take a hammer and tap with some authority (not beat on or tear up) the casing of the starter. Then try to start it.

I'm guessing the starter is bad. The click is the starter solenoid trying to enguage the starter. I'm sure the armature is rusty or has bad spots.

h2oskifreak
04-28-2013, 01:15 PM
I am hoping the starter is not bad as it was replaced by PO 2 years ago. I have the fake a lake hooked up so later today I will try what you suggested with the starter. Thank you.

h2oskifreak
04-28-2013, 01:55 PM
Kyle, You Da Man! Sweet Fancy Moses, she is ALIVE! Few taps on the starter and my ski season begins. 61 degree water yesterday. Thanks, my attitude is dramatically better...matter of fact my wife just suggested Hooters for lunch. Today, much better than yesterday.