PDA

View Full Version : baby & boat?

aprgriggs
09-03-2004, 03:25 PM
Ok, dads

What age is a baby old enough to take an early morning ride in the boat?

I have a 10 week old and we are dying to get some skiing in before the summer ends, but maybe she is still to little.

Help

bcampbe7
09-03-2004, 03:30 PM
What are the concerns with having the baby on the boat? As long as they are in a life jacket. Although finding one to fit would be a problem. Did I answer my own question???

ktn_cmu
09-03-2004, 03:31 PM
I'd take them for a ride anytime...however...if you are asking if they can be your spotter...hmmm, not thinkin so... :noface:

aprgriggs
09-03-2004, 03:34 PM
What are the concerns with having the baby on the boat? As long as they are in a life jacket.

I don't think it is a big deal but my husband thinks she is still to small.

Life Jacket....I wouldn't dream of taking her without one.

h20_skidog
09-03-2004, 03:36 PM
We kept our kids in the infant seat and placed it at the drivers footwell.
Babies sleep that young sleep most of the time anyway.

Also, do your best keep them out of sun.

bcampbe7
09-03-2004, 03:39 PM
New idea:
Baby seat that floats! Run with that...

Any patent lawyers on here???

aprgriggs
09-03-2004, 03:52 PM
New idea:
Baby seat that floats! Run with that...

Any patent lawyers on here???

Hell, I take one and I am sure BriEOD will want one for CJ. There you go your first two sales 8p

bcampbe7
09-03-2004, 04:01 PM
I'm just an ideas man. Someone else will have to bring it to production. :D

MarkP
09-03-2004, 04:08 PM
I think the moment the life vest fits, (or just before) ITS GO TIME!! It appears the big issue is when they are so small (pre 3mos) the life vest is longer than the baby from the hips to the neck. This makes the life vest ride up and seems to be uncomfortable. What I did was use an infant vest (0-30 lb) and removed about an inch of the floatation from the bottom of the front. Also modified the top of the front flotation panels to loosen up the fit a little. I believe this procedure effectively made that vest a (0-25lb) vest. But at the time the baby was well below that

Also, when she is in the boat, she rides in her bouncy seat placed between the driver and observer seat

This is a shot of the bouncy seat set-up at about 5mo.

MarkP
09-03-2004, 04:15 PM
oops this is the shot

MarkP
09-03-2004, 04:19 PM
Oh and NOT strapped in the bouncy seat :noface:

River Rat
09-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Mine started riding about that age. Cover those ears, moist air blowing in her ears could cause ear infections. NOT GOOD! Little one's are designed to ride in boats, as soon as the engine starts they fall asleep. Oh and remember when you start potty training them Always put a diaper on them or prepare to get wet. Engine starts….go to sleep…..pee
It never fails :D

MarkP
09-03-2004, 05:45 PM
RR Did you get some photos of that sammy yet

aprgriggs
09-03-2004, 05:56 PM
oops this is the shot

great shot...what a pretty girl :)

MarkP
09-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Thanks apr

It looks like she just woke up in that shot. OMG you should see her smile (and she does that a lot). She is the youngest of three. What a blast..

River Rat
09-03-2004, 10:35 PM
Not yet but I'm still working on it. just have to borrow the right camera.

NeilM
09-04-2004, 01:06 AM
My daughter was in the boat at 8 weeks. She's 21 now and can't wait to go:cool: .

Leroy
09-04-2004, 01:28 AM
While you would like to have your bundle of joy with you another option is to get a sitter and enjoy this time without the baby. Have a "date" and enjoy the freedom from bottles, diapers, burps, etc. It's nice to have a break also.

aprgriggs
09-04-2004, 06:45 PM
While you would like to have your bundle of joy with you another option is to get a sitter and enjoy this time without the baby. Have a "date" and enjoy the freedom from bottles, diapers, burps, etc. It's nice to have a break also.

We have done this, but it is hard to get a sitter and hate to keep asking the same people. I think they would rather go for a ride in the boat then stay home and baby sit. :o

MarkP
09-04-2004, 09:55 PM
It will be ok. Plenty of time for a date after bed time. It would be nice, but the whole family is GREAT…:)

edwin
09-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Had our first one out on the boat in 4 weeks...keep em out of the sun.

MarkP
09-04-2004, 10:39 PM
edwin

Yup, keep them out of the sun. My little one stays under the bimini

MarkP
09-04-2004, 10:42 PM
Oh nice shot cool looking boat..:headbang: So your in MO..

captkidd
09-07-2004, 09:52 AM
April, hope you have a bimini or are considering one. We bought ours specifically because we wanted to take our son out on the boat with us. I agree with Mark about the life jackets being too big for most babies. My son absolutely hated his because it rode up around his head whenever he sat down. The only thing that would appease him was sitting on my lap while I drove, but he was 1 1/2 at the time. We finally bought another jacket without the rear head pad and he seems to like it much better. Remember, the federal law says that all children 13 and under must wear a jacket anytime the boat is not docked or anchored (or is it when the boat is moving?) (I think I got this right).

MarkP
09-07-2004, 10:04 AM
“Remember, the federal law says that all children 13 and under must wear a jacket anytime the boat is not docked or anchored (or is it when the boat is moving?) (I think I got this right).”

And good sense says the same thing.:toast:

east tx skier
09-07-2004, 03:12 PM
Another thing is to get them used to wearing the life jacket before they can complain about it. My one-and-a-half year-old niece absolutely hates the life jacket or anything else that constrains her. As a result, she stays on the dock most of the time.

bradamerry
09-07-2004, 03:15 PM
My little one has never had a problem wearing her life jacket, but she started wearing one when she was about 6 months.

NeilM
09-07-2004, 04:42 PM
“Remember, the federal law says that all children 13 and under must wear a jacket anytime the boat is not docked or anchored (or is it when the boat is moving?) (I think I got this right).”

And good sense says the same thing.:toast:

Mark, I believe the term is 'underway', which is, in fact, "not docked or anchored".

In Canada, the law exempts infants under 9Kg (20 lbs) -- I suspect because they're so hard to fit into one, and similar reasoning as to why they don't wear seatbelts on airplanes...

.. interestingly enough, the same provision exempts the boat owner from having to have on board a life jacket that fits someone with a chest of 55 inches or larger....;) ok... never mind...

bradamerry
09-07-2004, 04:46 PM
I think in Louisiana it is in the boat, on the water. Somebody else may hit you and throw everybody out of the boat, For safety reasons, I make them wear them all the time in my boat. I couldn't take losing a child in my boat :( .

east tx skier
09-07-2004, 05:55 PM
I'm with you, Brad. If they're in the boat, they gotta float.

This is my house! You don'likeit, ....

MarkP
09-07-2004, 05:59 PM
YEP, "This is my house! You don'likeit"

NeilM
09-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Another thing is to get them used to wearing the life jacket before they can complain about it. My one-and-a-half year-old niece absolutely hates the life jacket or anything else that constrains her. As a result, she stays on the dock most of the time.
So true. Kids are all so different. Mine would don their lifejackets onshore just to give us the hint it was time for another boat ride. I've had arguments over getting them to take them OFF.

jimmer2880
09-08-2004, 07:24 AM
When my daughter was 3 months we started taking her out for the early morning ski rides. No life jacket would fit her, so we put her in her carry-seat & kept that between the pilon & observer's seet (Prostar 190). We were very careful when we were out. On my stretch of water, the only way the boat is going down is to hit something hard (put a hole in the boat), or to get hit. When we ski, getting hit is rarely a problem since most of the drunks are still sleeping.

The bimini is a must have. If you don't have one, forget about taking them along until you do. Also - I have a heater with a shut-off valve so it blows non-heated air also. Given the location of where we kept her (so she would be save in case of a handle-pop), sometimes she needed more air-flow.

As soon as she could wear a life jacket, she got one at the top of the steps leading down to the dock. We keep her jacket in the cabin (trailer). When we tell her to get her jacket (she's now 17 months) her face lights up as she RUNS to get her life jacket.

Just be absolutely sure EVERY experience on the boat is a positive one.

Also - count me in on the floating car-seat!

TalleyHo
09-11-2004, 12:56 AM
A little late to the game, but we had our son on the boat at 1 month. He didn't actually get his feet wet until the next season tho when he was almost a year. Now, when we are swimming, he won't let mom and I back in the boat -- he thinks its fun to push us off the platform as we try to get back up (he's 2 now, so he *thinks* he owns the boat). He's not too excited when I hold on to him and take him under with me. He does a 3-stooges Curly slap-in-the-face trying to get the water out of his eyes. Totally priceless.

Take them early, and take them often, I say. Just be smart, and safe.

Stritt
09-11-2004, 01:34 AM
My son started was born in Dec and starting boating in March/April. We
had a jacket on him from day one in the boat. Even though it was to big :o .

Another piece of advice, we bought a youth MC neophrene jacket for him when he was 1 1/2. He never as complained about a jacket, like others have mentioned, he knows a jacket means boating and swimming. He is now 3 1/2 years old and loves swiming and boating. Even has kneeboarded...(idle). Keep the experience positive and fun and that is what they will expect when boating. My son also is my co-pilot.

aprgriggs
09-11-2004, 09:43 AM
UPDATE: The jacket was huge but she loved it. She cried when the boat stopped....thats my girl.

Her infant seat didn't work with the life vest. Any suggestion to keep a 3 month old from rolling around?

Holding her is nice, but hard when your trying to drive. I think it made my husband a little nervous in the water. I promised him I wouldn't look down at the baby and run him over. :eek:

jimmer2880
09-13-2004, 07:38 AM
35th - which neoprene vest & where did you get it? I haven't seen one small enough yet for a 25ish pounder.

sorry April - when ours was that small - we put her in her car-seat w/o a vest & was extra-super careful. These boats are really hard to sink as long as you don't hit something - or get hit. She was only out when it wasn't busy (ie - when we were skiing) so we only had to worry about not hitting something.

Stritt
09-13-2004, 12:20 PM
The Life jacket was the smallest youth they made, I believe to 50 #'s. It has the handle, but not the floating pad. It also straps between the legs. I will look to see if I can see and actual size.

aprgriggs
09-13-2004, 12:23 PM
35th - which neoprene vest & where did you get it? I haven't seen one small enough yet for a 25ish pounder.

Made by HO and is only weighted to 25 or 30 lbs. The jacket weighted to 50 lbs didn't have the head rest for infants, however I think this will be my next purchase. :)

tex
09-13-2004, 12:30 PM
neo is the best way to go! my son loves his! now, if i can just teach him to tumbleturn in it!

jimmer2880
09-13-2004, 01:10 PM
thanks! I'll be ordering one up asap.:friday:

BriEOD
09-13-2004, 01:28 PM
How about something for 8-9lbs.

atlps190
09-13-2004, 04:17 PM
My wife kept our infant son in one of those Baby Bjorn sling / holster / carriers, right in front of her, when she drove (without lifejacket, of course). It worked very well, -- when they're small they face inward (towards mom) and once they have good neck control, they can be turned around - then he could see what Mom was doing, all the guages, and even could see dad rippin' it up in the mirror. :D

As soon as we stopped, and he came out of the carrier, we put on the lifejacket.

With him now getting too big for the carrier, I'm working on rigging up some kind of "booster" seat to put on the observer's seat with some kind of harness.

-T.

captkidd
09-13-2004, 05:25 PM
I'll repeat my earlier warning; the following is copied from the Coast Guard's website:

United States Coast Guard Headquarters, Washington, DC (December 23, 2002) -- The United States Coast Guard's Life Jacket Rule will go into effect December 23, 2002. In support of the ongoing efforts of the states and Coast Guard to improve boating safety, the Coast Guard is requiring that all children under 13 years of age wear Coast Guard approved life jackets, while aboard recreational vessels underway, except when the children are below decks or in an enclosed cabin.

This rule was created to address the problem of childhood drownings while boating. Between 1995 - 2001, 210 of our children, under the age of 13 died while boating. One hundred and twenty one (121) of them by drowning. Most of these deaths could have been prevented if the child had been wearing a properly fitting life jacket.

I doubt that the local authorities would be very nice to anyone caught without a life jacket on their child. Even if you never get caught, IMHO, it's certainly not worth the risk.

jimmer2880
09-14-2004, 07:32 AM
Capt... I have to say that as experienced boaters as most of us are.... While I agree with the Coast-Guard rulings - if we could have used one, we would have. But - bottom line is that I feel the time we spent on the water with the baby NOT in a life-jacket (because nothing fits an infant under 20 lbs) was not dangerous.

As I said before - we would ONLY go out early mornings when nobody else was out. Since we don't ski in the Ocean or Bay - the only way we were going down was if we hit something since there wasn't any traffic out there to hit us.

Yes - it was a risk. Will we do it again next time we have an infant under 20 lbs... if nobody makes a life vest small enough - yes!

Also - the rule is in MD - they only need to wear vests on vessels under 21'. With my swim platform - my boat is PS 190 measure 21'.

MarkP
09-14-2004, 10:52 AM
I use a “bouncy seat” between the driver and floor. With a life jacket and not strapped in. the baby loves it and it really works great. The seat bounces as the boat goes over rough water and eliminates the need to hold the baby the entire time she is on the boat. I wouldn’t strap a child into anything on a boat.. The photo in post #10 of this thread the baby is sitting in the bouncy seat that’s in this picture.

Modifying the life jacket was easy and well worth it..

aprgriggs
09-14-2004, 10:56 AM
How about something for 8-9lbs.

I knew you would be looking for one pretty soon....try HO infant...don't know the name but it is a red neo. www.hosports.com

BriEOD
09-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Looks to big.

MarkP
09-14-2004, 12:15 PM
Brian I don’t think they make a stock pdf that will accommodate a 10 Lb-er. :( The 0-30 (un modified) infant vests seem to work well for about 25-30 Lb baby.

BriEOD
09-14-2004, 12:18 PM
Well what did you use when you were in the 8-12 lb range?

MarkP
09-14-2004, 12:33 PM
I think my baby was 15-20 when she first went out, (Dec birthday). I had to modify a 0-30 infant vest.

bradamerry
09-14-2004, 01:20 PM
BriEOD, maybe a babysitter :confused: ?

BriEOD
09-14-2004, 03:03 PM
That is a possibility. But, I hate to leave the lil' guy. :love:

bepresto
09-14-2004, 03:27 PM
had my 14 month old now at the time, in the boat at table rock lake for 7:00 a.m. slalom sets and vacation at 8 weeks old, and he loved it

BriEOD
09-14-2004, 03:31 PM
What did you use for a PFD?

bradamerry
09-14-2004, 03:33 PM
He'll by fine. I know it is hard, but the parents need to play a little!

aprgriggs
09-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Looks to big.

yes it is big, but Taryn is 3 month old and maybe 12 lbs. It is big but it works. The head rest is great and the neo conforms to there little body. You should just get one and take it back if it doesn't work

BriEOD
09-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Did you get yours offline or at a shop?

aprgriggs
09-15-2004, 12:52 PM
Did you get yours offline or at a shop?

At a shop....my MC store had a bunch of them.

BriEOD
09-15-2004, 12:55 PM
thanks, and I'll look around for one.

BriEOD
09-15-2004, 01:38 PM
Ok found one and it will be here in a few days. I'm shooting for next week. 3 weeks old and out on the boat, that's not to bad. Mark I'm going to use your idea about the bouncy.

MarkP
09-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Brian, You "found one".. You talking about a neo infant vest? When I was looking for one of those (this spring) the only place I found one was Ski Limited but it was on a 6 wk backorder

BriEOD
09-18-2004, 08:32 PM
Mark,

No, I purchased an HO Orion Vest. It looks similar to the one you are talking about.

captkidd
09-22-2004, 03:47 PM
Jimmer, each family has to make their own decisions and I'm certain that your child is safe, but the local lake patrol isn't going to see it that way. Also, you may want to check the rule again; my understanding is that this is a national regulation that overrides anything except a stricter state/local law.

jimmer2880
09-22-2004, 04:40 PM
I asked the local patrol ocifer personally... that's what he told me.

but - you're right.... we all need to make our own informed decisions.

:D

xrider
10-16-2004, 04:11 PM
Makin' sure they stay brand loyal early on ;)

xrider
10-16-2004, 04:13 PM
ok, here we got it