PDA

View Full Version : New Maxxis tires for baby...

ZachDaddy
04-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Well myself and a buddy have bought 9 Maxxis tires between the two of us and I wanted to thank the TT family for the thorough tire research. The information here is directly responsible for our purchase.

My GY tires were built in New Zealand in 2006 and where in great shape but the tires were not towed with much...I think I have 500 miles if that since I bought the boat.

My buddy pulls his about a 1000 miles a year and had two GY with the bulge so I know it was time for him to replace his. His tires were also built in New Zealand in 06.

I decided to purchase an OEM spare wheel since the factory inventory was down to 5 total for my wheel. I see it as an insurance policy but a pricey one.

ttu
04-25-2013, 06:33 PM
look good! I need to replace my 07 goodyear this season. if you don't mind what kind of price are those?

ZachDaddy
04-25-2013, 07:50 PM
I paid $95 a tire after all the funny money. Freight was what killed a good deal.

timvan
05-01-2013, 01:49 PM
I just had 4 put on for just at $108/each. That was the best price I could find

bturner2
05-01-2013, 02:10 PM
What was the driver for buying Maxxis over Kumo or Goodyear? I kind of get why not Goodyear but what was it that sold you on Maxxis?

Rossterman
05-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Were you able to find those in a 14" D rated tire? I planned to use Khumo due to their D rating but would be nice to see if these might be cheaper or offer an alternative?

east tx skier
05-01-2013, 05:44 PM
My Maxxises have been doing well for their first two seasons now. Good luck with yours.

ZachDaddy
05-01-2013, 09:58 PM
C rated tire but we're both running a tandem axle trailer.

The kumho's were unavailable in my area through a retailer, however I forgot to look at TireRack, That said I saw a tandem trailer with a 205 size tire at the dealership and thought the wheel well looked under sized and wanted to stick with the OEM sized wheel.

I

timvan
05-02-2013, 06:25 AM
What was the driver for buying Maxxis over Kumo or Goodyear? I kind of get why not Goodyear but what was it that sold you on Maxxis?

The Maxxis are very well known in the camper community for being very reliable on 10k lb + trailers. Thats enough for me

epnault
05-02-2013, 06:38 AM
That is a very good price. I got an industry discount factory direct pricing at $110 plus shipping. Is your price for be 10 ply radial 225 75R15?

Maxxis is a great tire company. I am glad they are branching out to other markets.

Hammer
05-02-2013, 07:58 AM
The Maxxis are very well known in the camper community for being very reliable on 10k lb + trailers. Thats enough for me

I run e rated maxxis on my fifth wheel. I run them on the MC trailer after the GY exploded on the interstate.

McDye
05-02-2013, 08:16 AM
+1 for Maxxis, I have had them on 2 boats after switching from GY.

ZachDaddy
05-02-2013, 02:48 PM
My tire size is a 215 75R14.

Assume 10 ply but is a trailer specific tire.

jakethebt
05-02-2013, 10:20 PM
I replaced the 10 year old marathons before I towed this home last summer. I went with maxxis because of the reviews, price and the were available where the boat was located in MI. I also liked that I could get the outlined white letters. I thought it was appropriate for the year of boat.

bturner2
05-03-2013, 06:54 AM
OK so that tire is Max speed rated at 65 MPH at 50 PSI. As discussed on here multiple times most of us are towing at 70 - 75. The chart doesn't show higher pressure ratings to run faster nor can I find a statement to do so on the site. So my next questions would be is what pressure are you running these tires and how fast are you towing?

jakethebt
05-03-2013, 07:24 AM
50 psi @ 70 mph

Dave
05-03-2013, 10:17 PM
I blew a Goodyear @ 75 mph @ 50 PSI last fall. That is my 2nd GY to blow. I am going with Maxxis 225/75 R15 LR E and never going over 70 mph with this set.

bturner2
05-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Well not that I'm trying to defend the Goodyear tires but that one was probably your fault. There's been a service bulletin out there for years that tells you to inflate by 10lbs for speeds over 65 MPH.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/goodyear/Marathon_Special_Trailer_Applications.pdf

Special Trailer (“ST”) Tires
Goodyear Marathon trailer tires are widely used in a variety of towable trailer applications and are designed and branded as “ST” (Special Trailer) tires.
•
Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST designation are speed rated at 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.
•
Based on these industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 km/h and 121 km/h), it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.
o
Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.
o
Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.
o
If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).
o
The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.

I've had Goodyear Marathons on at least the last 4 trailers without a single blow out but have always run at or near maximum pressure rating. I currently run them at 60 PSI but the longest trip I take is about 200 miles once a year and everything other than that is less than 100 miles a couple times a year. I also plan my trips so that I'm pulling in the mornings or evenings so that I'm not on the road during peak temperatures.

All that being said I'm still trying to figure out what to buy next. Everything I can find on MAXXIS looks good.