PDA

View Full Version : Ski dog for Sassydog

sassydog
09-25-2005, 08:39 PM
i want to know what kind of dogs you guys all have(if you have one at all). i've decided to get one and i'm pretty settled on either a boxer or a lab retriever. does anyone have any experience with either dog? does anyone know any breeders in the midwest, closest to Chicago as possible. I'm not looking for a champion show dog or a hunting dog, just a companion. you know like the kind that rides in my front seat next to my guitar on the way to the lake, just like all those country songs!! any and all advice is greatly appreciated

redmike
09-25-2005, 08:45 PM
me, I have an aussi shepard, but my friend has had several boxers, and he loves them, good companions, just not nearly as smart/loyal as my aussie (IMHO). but, I have noticed that many people on here have labs, and they are great too, and I'm sure they will give ya thier opinions!

milkmania
09-25-2005, 09:09 PM
go with the Boxer!!!

don't let the kids decide on the first dog they see:(

http://www.writeonrice.com/dogs.jpg

X-45
09-25-2005, 09:21 PM
If your going to take it to the lake get a lab, When we finish skiing she gets out of the boat and into the water. When the boat starts she gets in, with a little helping hand in the back of the head to get on the platform. She loves the water and great around kids. :twocents:

Hoosier Bob
09-25-2005, 09:32 PM
Nice points for both. I love Boxers and would love to still have one. Boxers are great pets. Labs are as well and are more suited for the water. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. For me the Chocolate Lab and the Boxer would be a draw. The other (yellow and black) are cool but I personally am drawn to the chocolate. Boxers have a very cool personality. Chocolate labs are awesome looking dogs. :twocents:

RickDV
09-25-2005, 09:33 PM
A lab will enjoy the water. A boxer not so much. If you haven't seen my thread with my brother's yellow lab on water skis, check it out here (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5307).

roddydog
09-25-2005, 10:41 PM
Lab,Lab,Lab. Only for the water. Boxers are amazingly loyal and loving but (IMHO) they can be a bit hyper. Labs love the water, kids , the boat etc,. You have to spend a bit of time with each to get a sense.

BrianM
09-25-2005, 11:01 PM
I've got German Shorthairs. Great dogs. They stick to you like velcro, love the water, love to run and are great with kids and other people.

André
09-26-2005, 08:08 AM
LAB.LAB,LAB!!!
That's a no brainer for me!Check the "Pets" thread to see everyone's dog!
Boxers are on the nervous side and not sure they'll enjoy the boat and water as much as a Lab.
Labs are simply the best breed of dog in the World bar none!
How many boxers are guiding dogs?
When I see a Lab guiding a blind person on a busy street,it just amaze me every time!
Safest dog for kids too!

ski_king
09-26-2005, 08:48 AM
Any type of retriever is great, but I prefer Golden Retrievers.
Yes sheading is a problem. A lab of any color is my second choice.

jsonova99
09-26-2005, 08:49 AM
I've got a border collie, and she loves the boat and the water. She's a bundle of energy and wants nothing more than to please you. She's also as smart as it gets. They can be a little high strung though, which is evident at the dog park when we play frisbee. She thinks of it as her job, and doesn't like when other dogs try to interfere. Other than that, she loves other dogs and everybody she meets.

Zach S
09-26-2005, 09:45 AM
IMO Yellow labs are the best companions...

BuoyChaser
09-26-2005, 09:55 AM
check into the poodle crosses, which eliminates the shedding problem...there are the GoldenDoodles (Golden Retreiver x Poodle Cross) or the LabraDoodles (Labrador Retreiver x Poodle Cross)...

great around the water, excellent temperment, don't shed and COOL NAMES!!!

richardsoncd
09-26-2005, 09:56 AM
Labs are awesome, easily trained and loyal...calm when you want them to be and always ready play. Boxers are great too, just extremely hyper for the first few years, regardless of how much you run them. The other dog in the pic is a german shorthair mix....also an awesome dog. Good luck.

Leroy
09-26-2005, 10:00 AM
Will always have a lab now that we have our first lab, Cocoa a black lab. So smart, friendly, great with kids, love the water, and just overall great personality.
There are a lot of great dogs, but labs are the number 1 pet in this country.

BuoyChaser
09-26-2005, 10:01 AM
we've got 2 Border Collies, and they're certainly HIGH STRUNG, but not after my wife works them on our farm (5 sheep, 2 llamas, horse, donkey, 5 chickens)...

that is certainly one idea to keep in mind when getting a dog, what JOB was the animal trained to do...the Border Collie for example was bread for herding animals, particularly sheep...mentally, that's what they want to do...

hence that's why you'll see Border Collies herding kids, ducks, geese, etc...they need an outlet for their energy, and if not given one they'll drive you crazy or be mentally destructive...

maristarman
09-26-2005, 06:12 PM
Gotta be a yellow lab.

Great with the kids.

Loves the water.

Friendly as can be.

maristarman
09-26-2005, 06:21 PM
Actually, after looking at your avatar, and seeing your "Interests" in your profile (" kickin' @$$ and takin' names"), maybe you want something a little more agressive.

If you had a lab it'd be all affectionate and playful, and that might ruin your :mad: mood.

Then you'd have to change your avatar and your interests. :D

erkoehler
09-26-2005, 06:44 PM
Danno, labs are great, all my snowmobile buddies have them and they love to hang out on the boat and hit the water when ever possible.

AirJunky
09-26-2005, 07:36 PM
Jesse is a Border Collie/lab mix. Great temperment. Not hyper at all, loves to fetch, swim, be on the boat & chase the geese.

Last dog I had was Kodi, a Malamute/lab mix who lived to be 16 yrs old. Big score again. A bit large for the boat but he was a great swimmer/fetcher.

Mixed breeds give you the best of both breeds...... or the worst of each. ;) Both of mine were pound pups & were adopted at like 6 or 7 weeks old.

lakes Rick
09-26-2005, 08:28 PM
"Rodman" is where its at.. A true "manly" dog... And a babe magnet also...

bcampbe7
09-26-2005, 10:09 PM
My vote is for a lab...

WakePowell
09-26-2005, 10:15 PM
I will have to cast my vote for Golden retrievers. They are absolutely a great water dog.

X2M
09-26-2005, 11:05 PM
My vote is for the dog that has it all...Lab, Boxer, Sharpei, Mastiff...otherwise known as "the mutt". Extremely loyal, calm, protective and not expensive.
:)

shepherd
09-26-2005, 11:20 PM
Here's one for ya! Belongs to some friends of mine who live on a house boat. A REAL boat dog.

Actually, I'll have to go with the Lab crowd. Our last dog was a Golden. Those dogs have the sweetest most loyal disposition and love the water. Labs are just like that. The only reason I'd choose a lab over the golden retriever is the shorter hair should make for easier maintenance. Also, if you have kids they are by far the gentlest nicest dogs (labs and goldens). I remember my 2 yr old nephew crawling all over Buddy and he just laid there and took it, though I could see in his eyes he wasn't too happy. I don't think I'd trust a Boxer with that...

east tx skier
10-21-2005, 12:32 AM
My last dog was a golden. Just keep in mind that 1 in 4 are genetically predisposed to cancer. Sorry for the downer. Had to learn that one the hard way. Still, amazing dogs.

erkoehler
10-21-2005, 12:35 AM
I've heard rumors that Sassydog has decided against the whole dog thing! Something about not being able to take care of himself :eek: J/K :D

east tx skier
10-21-2005, 12:47 AM
Dogs are a LOT of work. These days, I enjoy other peoples' dogs. Plus, I like not having to vacuum a layer of hair out of my carpet on a weekly basis.

erkoehler
10-21-2005, 12:56 AM
shedding dogs are a TON of work :mad:

Luckily, both the dogs in my house are NON-shedding.

east tx skier
10-21-2005, 12:59 AM
In my experience, long haired dogs tend to shed less than the short haired ones. Of course, it's not an exact science.

erkoehler
10-22-2005, 03:05 AM
It is one of my worst pet peeves to see pet hair ANYWHERE around the house. Simply drives me crazy, I can't sleep at night if it isn't clean :mad:

Leroy
10-22-2005, 08:47 AM
You can get a laber doodle (spelling??). New breed of lab that doesn't shed.

André
10-22-2005, 08:55 AM
Morning Leroy!
Anybody who wants a dog should expect the house to be a bit messier(sp) .
Hairs,toys,wet dog smell sometimes,all part of the fun that your dog will bring into your life!
If you don't like that then...DON'T GET A DOG PLEASE!
And if you don't want to become a breeder i suggest you get your dog neuter(?).

Leroy
10-22-2005, 09:05 AM
Good morning AndréI agree! We have hair in the cars, boat, house, black hair shows up!

We are up and headed to Ft Wayne for semi-state soccer today. Play #2 team in the state first up, single elimination.

erkoehler
10-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Morning Leroy!
Anybody who wants a dog should expect the house to be a bit messier(sp) .
Hairs,toys,wet dog smell sometimes,all part of the fun that your dog will bring into your life!
If you don't like that then...DON'T GET A DOG PLEASE!
And if you don't want to become a breeder i suggest you get your dog neuter(?).

No dogs for me, I can barely take care of myself..... :D

bigmac
10-22-2005, 11:35 AM
We used to raise boxers when I was a kid. They're really funny dogs - great sense of humor. Very loyal to the family but can get aggressive with other dogs or people if they think they're protecting them. They're prone to skin infections and intestinal problems.

For the last 20 years, we've had golden retrievers, always 3 at a time. They are my all-time favorite. Very smart, very loyal, love the water, not a mean bone in their bodies. They do shed, less than boxers but not as much as labs. Of the 8 goldens we've owned over the years, all have lived to age 13 or more, except for Sassy (http://mccollister.info/sassy/sassy.htm) who died a year ago of hemangiosarcoma at age 10 1/2. The others have all just kind of petered out due to old age.

A labrador would be my next choice, but they tend to be more hard-headed than golden retrievers.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/27558649.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/27946939.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/32060032.jpg

whitedog
10-23-2005, 02:30 AM
After haveing shelties for many years I took a liking to English Setters. Love labs, and retrivers also. Here are the ones we currently have.

Holly our breeding female and all around good pet, she also hunts.

whitedog
10-23-2005, 02:31 AM
John my hunting partner for the last 6 seasons.

whitedog
10-23-2005, 02:32 AM
Spitit at 10 months, pup currently in training and a general trouble maker.

east tx skier
10-24-2005, 01:54 PM
We used to raise boxers when I was a kid. They're really funny dogs - great sense of humor. Very loyal to the family but can get aggressive with other dogs or people if they think they're protecting them. They're prone to skin infections and intestinal problems.

For the last 20 years, we've had golden retrievers, always 3 at a time. They are my all-time favorite. Very smart, very loyal, love the water, not a mean bone in their bodies. They do shed, less than boxers but not as much as labs. Of the 8 goldens we've owned over the years, all have lived to age 13 or more, except for Sassy (http://mccollister.info/sassy/sassy.htm) who died a year ago of hemangiosarcoma at age 10 1/2. The others have all just kind of petered out due to old age.

A labrador would be my next choice, but they tend to be more hard-headed than golden retrievers.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/27558649.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/27946939.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/32060032.jpg

That big word in your post sounds like what happened to my Golden, "Maggie," after 7.5 years. They are wonderful dogs. Like you said, not a mean bone in 'em.

André
10-24-2005, 08:46 PM
That big word in your post sounds like what happened to my Golden, "Maggie," after 7.5 years. They are wonderful dogs. Like you said, not a mean bone in 'em.
Let the kid grow up a bit and you'll have another one i'm sure... :rolleyes:

costal190
10-24-2005, 10:50 PM
We love our Aussie

costal190
10-24-2005, 10:51 PM
He loves the water

costal190
10-24-2005, 10:52 PM
This pair is good for added weight :D

sassydog
10-24-2005, 11:03 PM
thanks for all your advice guys, but i've come to the conclusion that getting a dog wouldn't be the best idea. i love having the freedom to just, get up and go, and that won't be possible with a new pup. i contacted a few breeders and had great conncetions fo some excellent dogs. but i eventually realized i there are some weeks where i would hardly be home to take care of it. it was a heartbreaking decision, i could really use the companionship at times, but in know its better off for me and for the dog, that i don't get one. thanks again for all your help.

east tx skier
10-25-2005, 11:18 AM
Let the kid grow up a bit and you'll have another one i'm sure... :rolleyes:

Probably, but he/she will be an outdoor pooch with a doghouse that I will share from time to time.