PDA

View Full Version : Steering Question

JDJ_205
04-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Good Morning TeamTalk,

Thank you in advance for any responses.

I have a quick question.

This weekend I was cleaning the MC (1995 ProStar 205)this weekend getting it ready for the year.

I turned the wheel at one point and noticed that it was very tough to move, more so than I have remembered. I could turn it both ways completely, but it was more resistant to turn than I ever remembered.

Is there something I can do to make the wheel a bit easier to turn? I dont want to make anything loose or cause issues. Or the flip side, could this be a case where there's a problem somewhere.

I admit to not being mechanically inclined so I apologize if this sounds like a silly thread.

Thank you!

Jim

hondaprlud
04-23-2013, 10:40 AM
likely you need to replace the steering cable. It's not difficult to do but is time consuming. I did mine last fall, I think my dealer quoted 4 hrs to replace, probably took me 6ish. My boat is a Vdrive so it may be easier for you.

FlyHighorDie
04-23-2013, 10:55 AM
I just did my replacement and it took a couple hours. I paid 120 for a new cable regreased everything installed and now one finger driving. I posted some pics of mine and comments too if you want to read.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53412

Wouter
04-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Check if everything (mainly at the rudder) is greased properly and check cable from stearing till rudder for hard bends (not likely if you haven't done anything to it.)
If it still feals though to move (i.e. like the cable gets stuck at some point) I would also consider changing the cable. It's not a difficult job at all and the cable (should be Uflex or teleflex rotary I think) is not expensive (around 150$ or so if I remember right)
Note the length of existing cable before ordering (it shoul be written on the rubber sleeve somwhere) You'll also need a grease gun. (my cable felt hard for a long time and snapped suddenly while turning : not a pleasant experience...)

76S&S
04-23-2013, 11:42 AM
I just replaced mine (v-drive). I got my replacement cable from marinepartssource.com. I recommend tying a rope to your old cable as you pull it out and using the rope to pull (along with someone pushing) the new cable through the hull.

JDJ_205
04-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Thank you for the insightful replies!

I'm on the fence in deciding to do it myself versus go to a local marina that deals with many inborads. I'm not mechanically inclined but I hate having to pay someone else to do the work.

Thanks again!

Jim

Cloaked
04-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Thank you for the insightful replies!

I'm on the fence in deciding to do it myself versus go to a local marina that deals with many inborads. I'm not mechanically inclined but I hate having to pay someone else to do the work.

Thanks again!

JimNot difficult. If you can lace up a pair of shoestrings and tie them, you're in....

An easy task for cable replacement. :)

thatsmrmastercraft
04-23-2013, 03:36 PM
On a direct drive boat, it is one of the most cost-effective and easiest jobs you can do. Huge difference if you cable is in need of replacement.

JDJ_205
04-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Thank you Cloaked and Mr.MasterCraft for additional insight.

Mr. MasterCraft - I read your reply to the PineLake submission in the general discussion too. The pictures help give better perspective.

I think I'm gonna give it a shot on my own.

Jim

thatsmrmastercraft
04-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Thank you Cloaked and Mr.MasterCraft for additional insight.

Mr. MasterCraft - I read your reply to the PineLake submission in the general discussion too. The pictures help give better perspective.

I think I'm gonna give it a shot on my own.

Jim

If you have any problems, just give a shout.