PDA

View Full Version : This weekend in the (NorCal) Delta

GoneBoatN
04-22-2013, 05:41 PM
We went out Sunday. Started out from Orwood, went south on Werner Dredger Cut and left on Indian Slough past Discovery Bay. Then turned south (right) on Old River, under SR-4 at which we started boarding, continued past North Victoria Canal and Clifton Court Forebay. Then we hung a left on Grant Line Canal. At S. Tracy Bvld overpass we turned around and went back. During this time we change a couple of riders and reversed back and forth in a couple of the sections that had less traffic. All in all I'd say it was about a 40 mile trip. :D

For a Sunday in early season, Orwood was a bit busy. But I guess that was to be expected on a day where temps were mid to upper 80's with relatively calm winds. Since we got to the ramp around 1PM there were quite a few trailers in the lot - I got to admin I was worried about boat traffic when I seen that. Once we were under SR-4 overpass, there were not too many boats in this area so that is why I chose to drop our first boarder in there.

Anyone else go out on the Delta? Where do you go?

walterlaughlin
04-25-2013, 02:28 AM
My family's place is near Bethel Island. It is a floating shack in a cove across from quimby island. Only accessible by boat. You can dock-start and ski right off the front dock. it's been in the family for 45 yrs. i love the delta's narrow channels with smooth water for slalom skiing. 4th of July at Mandeville Island is off the hook! Used to do booze-fueled houseboat trips out there back in the days before kids.

walterlaughlin
04-25-2013, 02:51 AM
PS that's me, last summer, in formal attire. Stay classy

dsword
05-10-2013, 11:25 AM
We have a place on King's Island which is on Old River just north of Clifton Court Forebay. Boat in and out. It is nice to have a home base to come back to and not spend the whole day on the boat.

David Sword

rodltg2
05-10-2013, 12:10 PM
I used to have a river houseboat at Paradise Point. Lots of fun times. Got married , had kids , no more houseboat.

JMann
05-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Walter, I usually launch out of SugarBarge or Holland Tract I think I know I've seen your place, it's in a nice spot. I like the smooth water of the delta also but with kids now it's tough because they are stuck in the boat the whole time, they are only 4 and 2, we usually only spend 1/2 days out there and are back at the marina by 1 or so.

dsword
05-10-2013, 03:14 PM
One of these?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Quimby+Island&hl=en&ll=38.028105,-121.58089&spn=0.002098,0.004128&sll=37.37089,-121.967553&sspn=0.270936,0.528374&oq=quimby+island&t=h&hnear=Quimby+Island&z=19

David Sword

dsword
05-10-2013, 03:20 PM
This is our island.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Quimby+Island&hl=en&ll=37.858303,-121.56746&spn=0.004206,0.008256&sll=37.37089,-121.967553&sspn=0.270936,0.528374&oq=quimby+island&t=h&hnear=Quimby+Island&z=18

David Sword

walterlaughlin
05-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Walter, I usually launch out of SugarBarge or Holland Tract I think I know I've seen your place, it's in a nice spot. I like the smooth water of the delta also but with kids now it's tough because they are stuck in the boat the whole time, they are only 4 and 2, we usually only spend 1/2 days out there and are back at the marina by 1 or so.

I hear ya, my kids are 8, 5 and 2, if they are stuck on the boat for more than an hour or two they get cranky. If you are out in that area this weekend, feel free to stop by and tie up for a while. My wife said she wanted to go boating on the delta for Mother's Day - guess that means I picked a good wife!

walterlaughlin
05-10-2013, 06:39 PM
One of these?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Quimby+Island&hl=en&ll=38.028105,-121.58089&spn=0.002098,0.004128&sll=37.37089,-121.967553&sspn=0.270936,0.528374&oq=quimby+island&t=h&hnear=Quimby+Island&z=19

David Sword

That's the place, the box on the left. it has been in that same cove since 1967. Just had its 45th anniversary party last year. These kinds of floating "homes" were made illegal in '69 so we are grandfathered in.

walterlaughlin
05-10-2013, 06:41 PM
This is our island.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Quimby+Island&hl=en&ll=37.858303,-121.56746&spn=0.004206,0.008256&sll=37.37089,-121.967553&sspn=0.270936,0.528374&oq=quimby+island&t=h&hnear=Quimby+Island&z=18

David Sword

All I can say is WOW. That's awesome

dsword
05-10-2013, 06:42 PM
You are lucky they grandfathered you in and did not just kick you out. The powers that be are much more picky now then they were in the old days. There are a bunch of islands where everyone got kicked out and the structures torn down. It is nice to be able to keep a spot like this only 45 minutes from a major metropolitan area.

David Sword

JMann
05-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Walter, I won't be out this weekend but we should be next weekend. I will send you a PM, if you are going to be out there we will stop by for sure.

roush611
05-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Man I cant wait to have my project up and running so I can hit the delta.

JMann
05-23-2013, 02:49 AM
Anyone getting out to the delta this weekend? I probably won't make it out this weekend if i do it will be early and I will be back to the marina by 1 or so so take pictures for the boat ramp bloopers thread. If not this weekend hopefully get out again next weekend.
What's everyone plan for the holiday weekend?

GoneBoatN
05-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Anyone getting out to the delta this weekend? I probably won't make it out this weekend if i do it will be early and I will be back to the marina by 1 or so so take pictures for the boat ramp bloopers thread. If not this weekend hopefully get out again next weekend.
What's everyone plan for the holiday weekend?

I'm taking our Girl Scout troop to camporee this weekend. My wife has to work so I'll be leading our troop to camporee this year. Not a problem for me as I give up the holiday weekends for boating to others in exchange for the rest of the weekends. :D

I might get out the following Sunday as my son's Eagle Scout project is going to be scheduled for that Friday and Saturday at the end of the month.

JMann
06-07-2013, 01:11 AM
I'll be out on Sunday launching from sugar barge or holland track. Anyone going to be out this weekend?

roush611
06-07-2013, 01:18 AM
I'll be out on Sunday launching from sugar barge or holland track. Anyone going to be out this weekend?

Just replied to your pm then noticed this haha. If I make it out we will be launching from either disco or Orwood

GoneBoatN
06-07-2013, 11:43 AM
I just got a storage unit at Orwood the beginning of this month. I'll be out tonight and also hoping to get out Sunday as well.

roush611
06-07-2013, 12:04 PM
I just got a storage unit at Orwood the beginning of this month. I'll be out tonight and also hoping to get out Sunday as well.

How much does one of those run a month if you don't mind me asking? I was thinking about dry stacking at Disco. Pretty cheap right now considering I would not have to drive the Tahoe out every time I wanna use the boat.

GoneBoatN
06-07-2013, 12:27 PM
How much does one of those run a month if you don't mind me asking? I was thinking about dry stacking at Disco. Pretty cheap right now considering I would not have to drive the Tahoe out every time I wanna use the boat.

See http://www.orwoodresort.com/boat_storage.htm. I seen the dry stacking at Discovery Bay - I could never do that to my boat! In all seriousness, I wanted a individual, totally enclosed storage unit.

Between saving on gas not towing the boat, not having to remove (yes remove) the tower and platform (just dropping it was not enough), jack the boat into the garage on a diagonal, stand on my head and spin around a few times... it is totally worth it. Since it includes free launching and I plan to use the boat much more during the mid week this year that added to the "why in the hxll am I doing this" factor for storing it at home. It's been really nice to pull the boat out of the water, go to storage unit area (away from the drunk and obnoxious crowd), wipe down, back in and drive away. I still have to work out some details on the gas can thing (the new carb compliant ones are a pita) for getting gas to the boat but that should be cake.

Sodar
06-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Sweet! I just booked a few days during the midweek for an RV spot at Orwood in July.

As for "utility cans"... get these. They pour like a mofo. Don't be scared about the "Not To Be Sold or Used As A Portable Fuel Container" that is just the new CARB requirements talking.

GoneBoatN
06-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Sweet! I just booked a few days during the midweek for an RV spot at Orwood in July.

As for "utility cans"... get these. They pour like a mofo. Don't be scared about the "Not To Be Sold or Used As A Portable Fuel Container" that is just the new CARB requirements talking.

I seen one of your posts about those cans while doing some searches on teamtalk. I ended up getting some cheap cans at WalMart; I have some long hose and adapter I just created to attach. I'm going to attempt the "set can high", "give the can a squeeze" and let siphon approach. Just seems like the easiest approach.

If you are interested in meeting up let me know when you are going to be there. If you are not familiar with that section of the Delta I can provide some Topo maps and suggested routes or maybe act as tour guide. The Delta is an interesting place: Narrow channels (there are wide sections too), water level fluctuates with the tide, big wakes from the occasional yaught/crusier going through. Just be careful where you go as later when you go by at low tide you will think "holy cxap, that was not there on our way out". For example, when you leave Orwood and head south. See https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Discovery+Bay,+CA&hl=en&ll=37.928983,-121.608396&spn=0.016502,0.033023&sll=37.269174,-119.306607&sspn=17.020769,33.815918&oq=discover&t=h&hnear=Discovery+Bay,+Contra+Costa,+California&z=16. See that spot to the right if you are heading south? The plus side is flat water, miles and miles of flat water. Did I mention the flat water? :D Mid week, you are going to have a great time. I'm heading there in about 1/2 hour from now. :D:D:D

Sodar
06-07-2013, 06:56 PM
I seen one of your posts about those cans while doing some searches on teamtalk. I ended up getting some cheap cans at WalMart; I have some long hose and adapter I just created to attach. I'm going to attempt the "set can high", "give the can a squeeze" and let siphon approach. Just seems like the easiest approach.

If you are interested in meeting up let me know when you are going to be there. If you are not familiar with that section of the Delta I can provide some Topo maps and suggested routes or maybe act as tour guide. The Delta is an interesting place: Narrow channels (there are wide sections too), water level fluctuates with the tide, big wakes from the occasional yaught/crusier going through. Just be careful where you go as later when you go by at low tide you will think "holy cxap, that was not there on our way out". For example, when you leave Orwood and head south. See https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Discovery+Bay,+CA&hl=en&ll=37.928983,-121.608396&spn=0.016502,0.033023&sll=37.269174,-119.306607&sspn=17.020769,33.815918&oq=discover&t=h&hnear=Discovery+Bay,+Contra+Costa,+California&z=16. See that spot to the right if you are heading south? The plus side is flat water, miles and miles of flat water. Did I mention the flat water? :D Mid week, you are going to have a great time. I'm heading there in about 1/2 hour from now. :D:D:D

Would love to meet up and have a tour guide. We will be there Sunday early afternoon on July 28th and we leave for Tahoe on Tuesday late morning on July 30th.

I've been emailing back and forth wit Jmann and he provided some maps for me of where to go and what to expect. Any added info would be awesome!

JMann
06-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Hey, you are giving up my spots to the world ;) The good thing about the delta is there is so many good spots you can share them all and still find perfect water, it's endless.

Sodar
06-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Sorry :eek:

Problem solved!

JMann
06-07-2013, 08:03 PM
I was kidding you can show them, there are plenty of spots. I didn't mean for you to take it down.

Sodar
06-07-2013, 08:04 PM
It's fine. I am crazy anal about my spots... don't know what I was thinking.

JMann
06-07-2013, 08:19 PM
I want GoneBoatN to show me his spots. I think he usually hangs a little south of where I do.

GoneBoatN
06-08-2013, 10:56 PM
I want GoneBoatN to show me his spots. I think he usually hangs a little south of where I do.

The place/route I been using lately was in the first post of this thread. Yes, Tracy is a little south. :D Basically, right out of Orwood, left and past Discovery Bay and then right on Old River. Instead of going left on North Victoria Canal(AKA Woodward Canal) just continue on Old River. You will go under the Route 4 bridge (there is no speed control while passing under this bridge so you don't have to dump your rider to go under) and then down past the water pumping station. From what I can tell Old River changes names to West Canal as it passes by Clifton Court Forebay. This is all without turns offs after the right turn you made after Discovery Bay. You go all the way to Grant line and make a left on Grant Line Canal. You will know the left to make as you just pass a rail (as in for wakeboarders who know what they are doing) and then you make the next left. Grant line canal goes straight as an arrow down to S. Tracy Blvd where I don't think you can go any farther than just beyond the bridge. We always turn around just before the S. Tracy Blvd bridge. There is also a marina there called Tracy Oasis in case you need petrol. The nice thing about this route is that many people turn off at North Victoria so you just wave goodbye to them. Then many will not proceed beyond the Rt 4 bridge. Then more get freaked out when they see the water pumping station and turn around there. You get the picture - just in case you don't one is attached from Friday evening. :D

JMann knows far more about the Delta than I do. He's given you some locations people like to do some slalom skiing. Where I go you will find some surfers and wakeboarders. They don't bother me much because I swing out and do an olie off their wakes and then return to my wake after we cross paths. Other than that you will see few fishermen typically around Clifton Court Forebay.

GoneBoatN
06-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Here's another route I liked last year. Basically after you leave Orwood you make a left. There is a Bridge and a couple of big water supply pipes you need to pass under. Then a short distance away there is a railroad bridge. Because these are low, many do not pass under this way. I only have inches to spare at low tide and otherwise have to lower my tower so be careful. Also, after you pass the railroad bridge there is a sand bar on the right so you want to keep leftish. This area is so narrow, you will not see any tubers until you get much farther up. Be careful if it is windy and you need to turn around as this section is not very wide for a ways. You can make a big loop and come back via passing Discover Bay.

But it is a good way of avoiding Discovery Bay. I hate the Smokers (remember the movie Waterworld with Kevin Costner; aka jet skis) that hang out down around Discovery Bay and use your wake to do trick off of. Problem is, unless the sheriff is around they will get rather close. I typically either cut the throttle or get on plane quickly to give them nothing to play on. You can't tow (except weekdays and you don't want to anytime) until you are past Discovery Bay anyways.

I've split into two pictures so you can see detail. Note that there is no water crossing straight west from Orwood but rather is just an water irrigation ditch shown on the topo map.

GoneBoatN
06-08-2013, 11:27 PM
It's fine. I am crazy anal about my spots... don't know what I was thinking.

As JMann says it's just endless. A couple of Sundays ago, I got to the prep area at the lot and thought Holy Crxp, all these empty trailers means a lot of people out there. I got out there and wondered where all the boats were at.

GoneBoatN
06-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Would love to meet up and have a tour guide. We will be there Sunday early afternoon on July 28th and we leave for Tahoe on Tuesday late morning on July 30th.

I've been emailing back and forth wit Jmann and he provided some maps for me of where to go and what to expect. Any added info would be awesome!

Hum, the week before is our week on Shasta. We return Saturday so maybe I could shoot up there for a couple of hours on Sunday and tell the wife I'm putting the boat away. :D

GoneBoatN
06-08-2013, 11:32 PM

Siphon method worked good using the cans I have. So I think I will not fix something that is not broken...

GoneBoatN
06-19-2013, 04:55 PM
Sodar,

You may want to get a map of the Delta. A good one (the one I use) can be had at http://www.fishnmap.com/catalogframe.php. Search using State/Region: Nor Cal. Then Search by Keyword: Delta. The map you are looking for is The Delta. I got mine at a local boat shop. It has depth markings, marina locations, where the main channels are vs the marsh fields that are not evident during high tide...

Sodar
06-20-2013, 12:39 PM
I'll be sure to grab one before I go.

roush611
06-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Anyone heading out next weekend? I guess there is a big event going on in disco. The Paddle for Fame 7.

dsword
06-26-2013, 12:39 AM
We will be out Saturday through Friday. If anyone is heading down Old River come by the island and pull into the lagoon and say HI. We have a blue metal flake Xstar.

David Sword

GoneBoatN
06-26-2013, 12:33 PM
We will be out Saturday through Friday. If anyone is heading down Old River come by the island and pull into the lagoon and say HI. We have a blue metal flake Xstar.

David Sword

Is this where you are talking about?
If so, nice! I'm trying to get out this mid-week but I have to work on the family members so that I have a spotter and driver. Then I also hope to get out sunday evening. If I do, I try to look for you if we are down that way.

dsword
06-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Yep, that's it. Our place is on the right side of the lagoon about five or six lots in. We will be out starting Saturday through the fourth.

David Sword

roush611
06-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Spotted a red/gray 1984-1985 S&S at Orwood on Saturday around 1130. Is that anybody from TT? I also saw an 80s prostar also gray. Is that anyone? I would have stopped an said hi but I was no tin my boat.

GoneBoatN
06-30-2013, 11:48 PM
Yep, that's it. Our place is on the right side of the lagoon about five or six lots in. We will be out starting Saturday through the fourth.

David Sword

We were out early this morning. Launched from Orwood at 7:30 AM. We were in Woodward Canal (aka North Victoria Canal) most of the morning but then went down old river around 11:30 past your place. I was riding at the time so we did not pull into the lagoon. I hope to be out mid week again maybe then. Certainly was a hot day out there today. Lots of people headed out when we were on our way back in.

GoneBoatN
08-06-2013, 01:51 AM
Went out early on the Delta this past Sunday. Started around 8:30 AM. We pretty much had the North Woodward Canal to ourselves for the whole morning. When we left the water 3.5 hours later it still was pretty much nothing but glass. I only took two runs: The first was 50 minutes and the second was only 45 minutes. :D I'll confess as to why I lasted that long. I decided to make it "Casual Sunday" day. I let the rope out 10' extra and was only doing one wake jumps so that I would practice toe side and switch riding more than I normally would.