PDA

View Full Version : Slow to turn over when hot

87MC owner
09-24-2005, 11:18 PM
This is really starting to puzzle me. The boat cranks great cold. Runs great too, but after she has been running for a while on the river and I turn the engine off, the next time I try to turn it over, she sounds like the battery is almost dead. I have charged it before I go out, I have made sure it is taking a charge while on the water and I caution the use of the radio when the engine is not running. Is it a starter issue or an alternator issue?

redmike
09-24-2005, 11:38 PM
check your timing, too far advanced timing will make the engine turn over slow when hot....yours shouldn't be more than 10 if it is the indmar like mine....

jimmer2880
09-25-2005, 07:12 PM
check your timing, too far advanced timing will make the engine turn over slow when hot....yours shouldn't be more than 10 if it is the indmar like mine....

What he said. But - I have to say I was able to successfully run 18deg for a good while in my old (non-MC). But - it always was tough on the batteries with that much advance.

redmike
09-25-2005, 07:38 PM
yeah, and you are more likely to ping=need premium=too much $$$$, that's why I only run 10, and save money for more gas=more time on the lake!!!!

87MC owner
09-25-2005, 08:54 PM
I will give it a try. I hope to get her back on the river before winter! Gotta have a slalom fix soon.

Leroy
09-25-2005, 09:49 PM
If it really cranks slow when hot and fast when cold, it would have to be weak battery, connection, alt, or there are some threads on here talking about starter getting slow when hot, but I could not find them. I searched starter.

This is really starting to puzzle me. The boat cranks great cold. Runs great too, but after she has been running for a while on the river and I turn the engine off, the next time I try to turn it over, she sounds like the battery is almost dead. I have charged it before I go out, I have made sure it is taking a charge while on the water and I caution the use of the radio when the engine is not running. Is it a starter issue or an alternator issue?

rektek
09-25-2005, 11:06 PM
sure sounds like starter problem, do you own or have access to a amp meter - clamp type and a volt meter ? someone with automotive training could diagnose this fault in 15 mins or less. have any of those friends laying around ?

high starter draw with a hot engine is common when your starter is begining to fail.

check the threads, there's a few recent ones that really covered it well.

cheers

87MC owner
09-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Slainte. I will look into the starter from a pro. The battery was new in June of this year, marine 1000 cca, and it takes a charge every time I am out on the water. Seems to me the starter is the culprit. Thanks for the input.

tfharrison
09-26-2005, 09:32 PM
Man, I been all over this for the last week. (See the thread http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=3132)

The cheapest easiest fix is to replace the red and black battery cables with larger gauge wire, or at least inspect and clean bolted connections.

I couldn't keep solenoids because the resistance was micro welding the copper disc inside to the on position. Caused by low voltage. Cost me a starter.

I've decided to go through the repair threads and set-up possible scenarios so my son and I can troubleshoot them on our Tristar.

Seems these MC have a few quirks that need to be learned.

gregg
09-27-2005, 10:33 AM

Most likely a starter issue. Timing advanced too much will generally cause a problem all the time, not just when hot. Sounds like the armature bushings are worn and the armature is dragging on the inside of the housing when hot.

lakes Rick
09-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Here is what I would do.. Especially with winter here..

Remember, the simple things first..

1. Just because its a new battery does not mean its OK.. Take it out and have it tested.. Have each cell tested while you are at it.. Take it to a battery store, not some dumb punk at Autozone.. I have had two new batteries with bad cells in them.. My 4 years old Napa battery ( optima copy) did that to me last year...

2. Take off the starter ( you need to lube the bendix anyway), and again take it to a quality starter rebuild shop and have them test it and maybe even take it apart to appraise the condition of it..

3. While the starter is out, take off all of your battery and solenoid wires and look them over real well.. At the very LEAST clean them and clean the areas they attach too, be it negative grounds or positive leads, and possibly look really strong at replacing the battery cables.. They do get corrosion inside them.. IF you do replace them, get quality ones and the bigger the better pertaining to size..

Good luck

87MC owner
10-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the full set of directions. I am definately going to get down and dirty and take it all the way down. The only way to be sure is to do it all. Thanks!