PDA

View Full Version : How do I drain H2O from tranny

93 Prostar 205
09-24-2005, 09:55 PM
I have PS205, 351HO, Velvet Drive 1:1 and winterized it today. That is all but the tranny. I can't figure out how to drain the water out of the tranny.

I see the two hoses from the water intake to the tranny, but it doesn't look like pulling the return hose will get all of the water out. Am I missing a drain plug somewhere?

Thanks,
LB

east tx skier
09-24-2005, 09:56 PM
Pull both hoses from the transmission cooler (the big ones on the front and back, not the little ones). Water will drain. Check the screen for debris.

93 Prostar 205
09-24-2005, 10:01 PM
I guess that's what I thought. The return hose is tucked under the floor with little access.

It'll be a red knuckler getting them off.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
09-24-2005, 10:08 PM
The two small diameter hoses run transmission fluid to and from the cooler. The cooler sits inline with the water intake to the engine. As Eastie said, you just pull the large hose off the cooler. There is no water that actually goes to the transmission. Drain the block, exhaust manifolds and muffler as well.

erkoehler
09-24-2005, 10:51 PM
How long does it take you guys start to finish?

Hoosier Bob
09-24-2005, 10:58 PM
Did I not just answer this on another post? Man I am losing it! To do it right a few hours. Use the checklist in the owners manual. :twocents: Get your supplies and have them ready. I do not fog (each cyl) because the boat stays in a garage that maintains a decent temp. I will fog the carb until the engine dies. Stabil w/fulltank and general draining and compressed air to every orafice. I usually do this late and am freezing my arse off at the time.How long does it take you guys start to finish?

erkoehler
09-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Did I not just answer this on another post? Man I am losing it! To do it right a few hours. Use the checklist in the owners manual. :twocents: Get your supplies and have them ready. I do not fog (each cyl) because the boat stays in a garage that maintains a decent temp. I will fog the carb until the engine dies. Stabil w/fulltank and general draining and compressed air to every orafice. I usually do this late and am freezing my arse off at the time.

Your not the only one on the site :D Just trying to get a base line to see what everyones practices are.

Hoosier Bob
09-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Only one who counts! :D I was responding to the other thread and when I saw this one I thought somehow someone had deleted my posts! :confused: Your not the only one on the site :D Just trying to get a base line to see what everyones practices are.

east tx skier
09-25-2005, 12:14 AM
I've posted a winterization check list on here somewhere.

erkoehler
09-25-2005, 01:53 AM
I have it saved on my office computer at home. I can repost it if there is a need. :confused:

captain planet
09-27-2005, 03:01 PM
I have owned my boat for 7 years and have yet to drain the water from the transmission cooler. After you drain the block and exhaust manifolds, just run antifreeze into the pick-up hose and your done. Any water that may or may not be in the transmission will get flushed out by the antifreeze.