PDA

View Full Version : How do I drain water in Tranny?

93 Prostar 205
09-24-2005, 08:28 PM
I purchased a '93 PS205 this year and started to winterize today. Everything went smooth except I can't figure out how to drain the water in the transmission that keeps it cool.

My owners manual states to drain, but does not advise how to drain. I have two hoses going from the water intake to the tranny, but it doesn't look like either of these hoses are directly on the bottom of the tranny. Will pulling the return hose off be adequate?

Help?

I have the 351 HO with Velvet Drive 1:1.

Thanks,
LB

André
09-24-2005, 08:33 PM
If you removed the hoses,then i think that's it!
The water flow right through the oil cooler and only oil can stay in the oil cooler but it may drain back to the tranny.

east tx skier
09-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Whoops, I answered the other post about this one. Just make sure to remove the big hoses, not the little ones. Shake out the hoses and check the screen in the cooler for debris.

JDK
09-24-2005, 09:10 PM
I can't figure out how to drain the water in the transmission that keeps it cool.
LB

I think you're a little confused.
There is no water that goes into the trans. to keep it cool. The lines I think you are referring to are oil lines and you don't need to touch them. All you need to do is remove the BIG intake water hose (the one that leads to the water pic up on the bottom of the boat hull) on the REAR side of the transmission COOLER..... and that's it.

Hoosier Bob
09-24-2005, 09:11 PM
Thanks Eastie! This one had me scared as the two little ones carry trans fluid! Removing those would be a mistake. I do not believe actual water lines go to the transmission? The trans cooler is the short stobby thing on the port side of the engine is it not? Basically the hose to remove comes from the pickup on the bottom of the boat to the item that cools the transmission. ICBW? :twocents:
PS. Sorry JDK you already had it, I did not see your post.
QUOTE=east tx skier]Whoops, I answered the other post about this one. Just make sure to remove the big hoses, not the little ones. Shake out the hoses and check the screen in the cooler for debris.[/QUOTE]

JDK
09-24-2005, 09:15 PM
PS. Sorry JDK you already had it, I did not see your post.

Ha!, you gotta be quicker on the keyboard next time 8p

erkoehler
09-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Thanks, that will help me in just over a month also....

Hoosier Bob
09-24-2005, 09:19 PM
JDK 1
Hoosier 0
Strike another one up for Canada!
Ha!, you gotta be quicker on the keyboard next time 8p

93 Prostar 205
09-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Okay, so to clarify. I have one big hose that brings water into the boat. This hose is connected to what I believe is the tranny cooloer. From the tranny cooler two hoses go back to the tranny, I do not touch these. I just disconnect the large hose.

I though that water was going through the two smaller hoses to the tranny. I guess the tranny fluid is in these hoses and passes buy the water, keeping it cool?

LB

Hoosier Bob
09-24-2005, 09:27 PM
You are correct sir!
Fast enough JD? :toast: Okay, so to clarify. I have one big hose that brings water into the boat. This hose is connected to what I believe is the tranny cooloer. From the tranny cooler two hoses go back to the tranny, I do not touch these. I just disconnect the large hose.

I though that water was going through the two smaller hoses to the tranny. I guess the tranny fluid is in these hoses and passes buy the water, keeping it cool?

LB

93 Prostar 205
09-24-2005, 09:30 PM
Storing my 16' foot Baja with a 150 merc. took me 2 hours. Total time spent on my MC today - 7 hours.

I can't wait for the learing curve to kick in next year!

Hoosier Bob
09-24-2005, 09:35 PM
93 205 is definately worth the extra effort. Nice boat to have that problem with. Why storing so early? I keep mine in the garage so incase I am tempted I can role. I have alot of peer pressure around here with the likes of Leroy, Stevo137 and Mag! Not to mention my buddies that own MC's but do not hit the site very often. Anyway nice ride and you can bring the bride back to life next spring! :D Storing my 16' foot Baja with a 150 merc. took me 2 hours. Total time spent on my MC today - 7 hours.

erkoehler
09-24-2005, 09:50 PM
Storing my 16' foot Baja with a 150 merc. took me 2 hours. Total time spent on my MC today - 7 hours.

You'll still spend twice as long on the MC.

93 Prostar 205
09-24-2005, 10:05 PM
I normally ski until late October, but did wimp out this year. I sold my Baja in July and purchased the MC in June.

I miss barefooting on the baja, but I can't complain about the wake on the MC. Flattens out well at 34 mph. TW, the wife, talked me into the open bow for additional seating. The MC is also nice for slow pulling my 6 year old.

JDK
09-24-2005, 10:42 PM
Storing my 16' foot Baja with a 150 merc. took me 2 hours.

Which baja did you have?
I had a 164 with Merc. XR2, L&S transom lift, nose cone, solid mounts, and a bunch of other stuff (scared the crap out of myself more than once on that boat :eek: ....can you say chine walking).
Had tons of fun with it though....great, tough boats.

93 Prostar 205
09-24-2005, 10:52 PM
Oh it chined! Mine was a 169 '83 with a 150 merc., jack plate, chopper prop., ski pylon, rigged boom bar. 65 mph+. I never found out what the model it was. I think it was an SS Sport. It was mint inside and out - gold flake/beige. Hated to get rid of it, but sold it to a friend, so I get to keep an eye on it. I thought about giving it to my sister, but the boat is too dangerous for a begineer. I miss the smell of burning a gallon of gas every hole shot.

JDK
09-24-2005, 11:04 PM
This is too funny. I sold mine to a buddy two doors down at the lake, and bought a PS205 also.
I was kind of concerned about him too, but he drove it all summer without incident.
It's a blue flake / silver and is still a 9+ out of 10. I paid $10k for it in 1988 and sold it for $7k this spring 17 years later......and some guys say MC's hold their value!
I'd loved to have done a little racing with you......I could swing a 24" chopper at 6400 rpm.....YEEEHAAAWW