PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed: 197 MCX Fuel Pump

erervin
04-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Well, not a great way to start the year. Hooked the fake-a-lake up to my 2005 197 with the MCX and turned it over, but it would not start. I had it started about a week ago very briefly. Here's what I've noticed. Last week when it fired, I could hear the fuel lines prime when the key was turned. Today, that is not happening. Could this be the fuel pump? Thoughts?

I was considering bringing this to my local marina to take a look at and thought I'd first reach out to you guys on here, especially those of you who have changed the fuel pump yourselves. After a brief search on here, I found several threads discussing this topic. The NAPA two pumps that I believe will work on my boat are AFP E2065 and the NFP P74118.

Are there any step by step instructions out there? Would rather spend the $90 for the part rather than the $480 from MC. Thanks!

starman205
04-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Search this thread for Fuel Pump 101, it gives step by step instructions on what to check for and how to change the pump yourself. Try the link below to get there. There is a fitting on the fuel rail that you can check to see if there is pressure in the line. i am looking for a picture of it and will post if I find it.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25783

erervin
04-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Great, thanks!

I thought I'd check the fuel relay before I buy the new pump. Do any of you know where it is located and what the part number is for it?

03 35th Anniversary
04-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Emergency Kill Switch....

Jerseydave
04-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Check the harness plug where it is attached to the top of the fuel pump module. Sometimes poor contacts will cause the pump not to run. You should also test for fuel pressure before installing a new pump.

CantRepeat
04-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Check the harness plug where it is attached to the top of the fuel pump module. Sometimes poor contacts will cause the pump not to run. You should also test for fuel pressure before installing a new pump.

A $20 gauge from auto zone could save you a lot of work.

agua4fun
04-20-2013, 05:51 PM
x2 on checking the contacts on the electrical connector at the pump with a voltmeter.

erervin
04-20-2013, 05:55 PM
Update. My gauges on the dash do not move or appear to be powered making me think I tripped a breaker or possibly the main circuit breaker. The toggle switches light up as to the devices attached to them (blower, acc1, acc2, bilge, etc). I checked the three main relays and everything looks good.

Headed back out to check the circuit breakers. I checked fuel and there was pressure at the rail. I also checked verified that there was no power to the pump. Ideas where to start?

03 35th Anniversary
04-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Emergency Kill Switch.....

erervin
04-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Should have mentioned, emergency kill was the first thing I checked.

Well I went back out there and low and behold, gauges lit up. So I hooked it up to water again and she fired right up. It must have been a loose connection somewhere.

Thanks for your responses!

03 35th Anniversary
04-20-2013, 06:59 PM
I said the Kill Switch cause I cleaned mine after winter storage back when I first got it years ago and had all these same issues and turned out I just didn't put the pull cord back in.

Also,

Look under the observer's seat right next to where the battery is. There should be a little black terminal block mounted to the floor that the positive side of the battery lands on.

Make sure all those wires landing on and coming off are clean and tight.

There is one small red wire coming off of it that will do similar to what what you are describing with the gauges if it doesn't have a good connection.

bturner2
04-21-2013, 08:33 AM
If it ran last year and you pulled your batteries I'd start by making sure all the batteries connections are on correctly, clean and tight. The key is the fact that the gauges are not working. Something would appear not to be connect correct.

If you don't hear the pump running another place to look before replace the pump would be the relay.