PDA

View Full Version : Overheated the engine today :(

NatesGr8
09-24-2005, 05:58 PM
well today my engine overheated. it happened just as i was pulling into the dock while idling. actually i noticed the light was on (and i believe this is when it came on) as i was tying the boat to the dock. i immediately shut her off and opened the engine cover, i believe it got up to 280, maybe even 300 :( not good. so i inspected the problem, nothing caught in the intake grate, nothing blocking the transmission cooler, my raw water pump impeller is flawless. I didn't take off the t stat covers to see if they were stuck shut or malfunctioning in some way but i'm pretty sure they are okay as i had them out about a month ago and it has been running fine for about 14 trips since then. So now i'm thinking its time for a new water pump, tomorrow i will go down and pull everything apart for further inspection.

Just figured i'd let you guys know about my problem and see if you had any advice or similar things happen to you. my boat is a 94 ps190 with the lt1 engine. new water pump is on order already (since i knew i was going to have to change my water pump sooner or later, it developed a small drip this season).

thanks, nathan

NatesGr8
09-24-2005, 05:59 PM
I also inspected all the hoses for clogs or blockages, they were fine too.

east tx skier
09-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Shine a flashlight up the tailpipes? Are they blistered?

André
09-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Happened to me last meek on my 94 TBI.
I was more lucky then you as it was only my impeller going bad on me after 100 hrs AND one winter of storage.
Hope you solve your problem soon so you can enjoy the few days left in the season!

erkoehler
09-24-2005, 09:16 PM
I had my impellar go out earlier in the season, caught it before the engine over heated though.

NatesGr8
09-25-2005, 03:40 PM
okay so i just found this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-CORVETTE-LT1-water-pump-5-7_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33604QQitemZ800149308 1QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW) on ebay, i ordered one from a local boat yard for about 3 times the price, even though it is a 92 will it still work on my 94. I'm thinking of cancelling the order on the other and getting this one. thanks, nate

Farmer Ted
09-25-2005, 03:50 PM
okay so i just found this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-CORVETTE-LT1-water-pump-5-7_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33604QQitemZ800149308 1QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW) on ebay, i ordered one from a local boat yard for about 3 times the price, even though it is a 92 will it still work on my 94. I'm thinking of cancelling the order on the other and getting this one. thanks, nate

I may be wrong here and it might be worth a PM to JimN or Enginenut but I believe that the water pump for a Marine engine is different from a automobile engine.

Did you check Skidim?

NatesGr8
09-25-2005, 04:03 PM
yeah i checked skidim they want $355 for it, and there is no way i'm paying that much for a water pump. and i've researched the reverse flow cooling situation and all lt1's are reverse flow so the car and marine are the same. i'm just curious if they've changed the bolt pattern or sizes or port sizes, or things like that from 92 to 94, just curious if anyone knew about that sort of thing.

thanks again, nate

Storm861triple
09-26-2005, 11:29 AM
i'm just curious if they've changed the bolt pattern or sizes or port sizes, or things like that from 92 to 94, just curious if anyone knew about that sort of thing.

thanks again, nate
No change auto to marine. The auto pump will work fine. It may corrode sooner, but it will last a long time either way and work fine.

$355 for a Ford Windsor water pump?? What a joke.

-Tom

John B
09-26-2005, 11:50 AM
Nathan,
If everything looked fine and you overheated. :confused:
You might of had something blocking the intake like a plastic bag.(Trash in the water)
When you shut down it would have come off.
I had that happen to me last year.
If it got up to 280 or 300 and is a LT1 you might have a problem.( Aluminum heads )

NatesGr8
09-26-2005, 03:03 PM
i checked the intake beneath the boat while my engine was cooling down and there was nothing. I also restarted after the engine was cool and the temp immediately began to climb again. Everything else seems to be functioning fine. When i removed the water pump i checked to see if the raw water pump was pulling water by pulling the kill switch and cranking the engine, when i did this water pumped out of the raw water pump.

Just in case the water pump doesn't fix my problem, does anyone else have ideas as to why my engine would have overheated?

Thanks, Nathan

NatesGr8
09-26-2005, 03:04 PM
also, i will be checking both thermostats today and make sure they open up at the proper temps.

erkoehler
09-26-2005, 03:43 PM
Where is JimN??? He hasn't been around much lately.... :confused:

Cloaked
09-26-2005, 04:19 PM
also, i will be checking both thermostats today and make sure they open up at the proper temps.This would have been my next suggestion to check (a fail closed thremostat).

In my opinion, if you feel fairly confident that the engine wasn't over heated very long, it's not hurt. One thing is for sure, it's still running thus not seized from heat. Check the pathway of the water for obstructions (as you have done) and run it again to see if it heats. If so, pull a thermo and run it again. If so, pull the other thermo and run it. If the pump has failed, you won't be pushing water out the exhaust.

You can run it in your driveway with a water supply from a hose.

NatesGr8
09-26-2005, 05:43 PM
yeah i would run it in the driveway but i dont feel like towing her to the launch right now, i might be doing that this weekend if the new pump doesn't solve my problems. thanks for all the advice thus far :wavey:

Engine Nut
09-27-2005, 08:12 AM
The automotive pump will work fine. I know that the pumps that we sell come with thermostats installed. Make sure that you don't use the thermostat that may come with the pump. The thermostat the you need to use in that pump is a 160 degree thermostat with drilled bypass holes.

The LT1 is sensitive to overheats. The aluminum heads do not hold their integrity when they get hot. When they warp it allows hot exhaust gasses to blow into the cooling passages adding to the overheat. If you still have a problem after the new circulating pump is installed, do a cylinder leak down test.

Engine Nut

NatesGr8
09-28-2005, 04:50 PM
okay with the new water pump almost here and the old gaskets scraped off, does anyone know what the torque spec is for the bolts to that hold the water pump to the block?

NickC
09-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Are there any hose clamps/connections between the raw water pick up and the raw water pump? If so check for loose fittings/air leaks. It is possible that there is a leak and your pump wont pull water because it is pulling air.

NatesGr8
09-29-2005, 10:10 AM
:mad: Damn ups and their rescheduling, the set delivery date of thursday was switched to friday, and now, its been rescheduled to monday :mad: So no boating for me this weekend, and it's supposed to be the last good weekend of the season for us up here in the northeast :mad: boy that really grinds my gears.

NatesGr8
10-03-2005, 06:48 PM
New water pump is in and everything is back to normal. If any of you need a water pump i highly suggest H2OPumpMan's (http://stores.ebay.com/WATER-PUMP-MAN) ebay store
Now i just need another nice weekend, this last one would have been great.