PDA

View Full Version : another transmission removal question - where to start

djbartu
09-24-2005, 02:10 PM
I've read quite a few posts on transmission removal, but haven't found the exact answer to my question:

How do you disconnect the prop shaft from the tranny? In other words, how do you move the shaft away enough? It seems as if it should be a pretty straight forward job - but I need to know where to start.

Dan K
09-24-2005, 04:37 PM
The prop shaft coupling, has 4 bolts and 2 set screws.
I filed a 'witness mark' across the two halves of the coupling before unbolting so that I could put back together the same way. Unbolt the 4 bolts and try to move the whole prop shaft back. If it doesn't move it may have slight rust binding it together, use penetrating oil and slight tapping to free the two halves of the coupling. Once they are freed it should move out of the way enough to pull the tranny. If you need more room you have to remove the set screws and remove the coupling itself from the prop shaft.
I did mine a while ago and had to whack at the coupling pretty good along with some heat to free it up. My is a direct drive powerslot.

Good luck

djbartu
09-26-2005, 10:09 AM
Yep, all it took was some penetrating oil, a flat screwdriver at the seam and quite a few really good whacks with a hammer. At first, it looked like one solid unit it was fused together so well.

Now the tranny is out and ready to be shipped for a rebuild. Oh well, there goes my lunch money for quite some time - but at least I'll have reverse next year!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/djbartu/2335.jpg

darule336
09-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Make sure that the couple seats perfectly back on that shaft other wise you might have a problem. Mine became really loose on my shaft. but mine was also really easy to take off. But just something to check.

Or at least make sure ur key and key opened haven't enlarged. Good Luck. And FFI did a good job on mine. Where are you sending it?

djbartu
09-28-2005, 09:21 AM
FFI seems to be the place of choice on this board, so that's probably where it will go. I'm not exactly sure about trucking companies to use - I'll call them and see if they have any recommendations. Although, my wife thinks we could save a few bucks getting it rebuilt locally (using parts from Skidim).

OhioProstar
09-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Although, my wife thinks we could save a few bucks getting it rebuilt locally (using parts from Skidim).
:eek:

Spend a couple extra dollars and have a marine tranny company work on it. Every time I have tried to cut corners it cost me more money and time.
:twocents:

djbartu
09-28-2005, 12:43 PM
:eek:

Spend a couple extra dollars and have a marine tranny company work on it. Every time I have tried to cut corners it cost me more money and time.
:twocents:
My thoughts exactly. If I have some local try to fix it and, after hours of reinstallation, it doesn't perform properly ... I would really be pissed!