PDA

View Full Version : It finally happened.....

captain planet
04-18-2013, 01:09 PM
....after over 195,000 miles on my company vehicle, 2008 Toyota Highlander w/ V6, the water pump needs replaced. Looks like they might be slipping a little, I should have been able to get to 200K easily. :rolleyes:

rgardjr1
04-18-2013, 01:36 PM
....after over 195,000 miles on my company vehicle, 2008 Toyota Highlander w/ V6, the water pump needs replaced. Looks like they might be slipping a little, I should have been able to get to 200K easily. :rolleyes:

We had to replace the water pump in our 2006 LX470 at around 80K because it was leaking. I think Toyota's maintenance schedule is around 120K. We did it at the 100K service (timing chain) on our 2000 LX470 since they were already in there and the labor would be negligible. Only issue we had with the 2000 was the starter, but that was an easy fix.

kkkeating
04-18-2013, 01:52 PM
We have a 2001 Toyota Sienna with 290K - absoluty no problems until around 250k and since then we've had to put in about $2k worth of work into it. Very pleased, would not even think about getting another vechicle from another manufacture.

CruisinGA
04-18-2013, 02:01 PM
We had to replace the water pump in our 2006 LX470 at around 80K because it was leaking. I think Toyota's maintenance schedule is around 120K. We did it at the 100K service (timing chain) on our 2000 LX470 since they were already in there and the labor would be negligible. Only issue we had with the 2000 was the starter, but that was an easy fix.

A little FYI for you-
In the Toyota 4.7 V8, the waterpump should be replaced at the timing belt change not just because "you're in there" but because the timing belt usually fails due to waterpump failure.
The timing belt tensioner, and the idler pulley should also be changed. Some dealerships skimp on this.

The timing belt itself will last far beyond the 90k mile interval, but contamination from leaking coolant or oil will kill it quick.

rgardjr1
04-18-2013, 02:28 PM
A little FYI for you-
In the Toyota 4.7 V8, the waterpump should be replaced at the timing belt change not just because "you're in there" but because the timing belt usually fails due to waterpump failure.
The timing belt tensioner, and the idler pulley should also be changed. Some dealerships skimp on this.

The timing belt itself will last far beyond the 90k mile interval, but contamination from leaking coolant or oil will kill it quick.

Good to know. I just checked and the waterpump and timing belt were change at 71K on our 2006. Looks like I should plan on doing it again at 160K.

Ski-me
04-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Good to know. I just checked and the waterpump and timing belt were change at 71K on our 2006. Looks like I should plan on doing it again at 160K.

Well, that sucks! :)

We have a 07' RX400h that just hit 100k. It's been great and really haven't put a dime into it other than tires (it likes those a lot!!) and regular maintenance. With that said though, it's a hybrid. With this new technology, I'm concerned that some of the "future" repairs are not going to be so economical if some of the hybrid equipment goes bad. I've heard rumors of $12k components.

For that reason, I have kept my eyes open for another Toyota/Lexus but in the "gas only" department. Other than that, I'm great with the vehicle!

Lumbergh
04-18-2013, 04:15 PM
GX470 here. Awesome truck.

CruisinGA
04-18-2013, 06:58 PM

A lot of folks have pushed the timing belt interval to 120k miles without issue.

It is easy to pull one of the plastic covers and inspect the timing belt. If there is no oil/coolant evidence and the belt looks good, no need to change.
I would make sure than the idler pulleys and timing belt tensioner are changed at the next one. They are not expensive.

barefoot
04-18-2013, 08:42 PM
My '07 4Runner goes to the shop Monday for its 175,000 check-up. I was planning on getting the H20 pump replaced, but it sounds like I have another 25k before that needs to be done. Overall, my truck's been a rockstar! Aside from regular oil changed, I've needed nothing.

captain planet
04-18-2013, 10:17 PM
A little FYI for you-

That V8 has a timing belt instead of a chain? I asked the service shop about the timing belt on my Highlander and they told me it is a chain.

CruisinGA
04-18-2013, 10:54 PM
The iForce 4.7 V8 that Toyota has been putting in everything for years (Tundra, Sequoia, 4runner, GX470, Land Cruiser, LX470) has a timing belt and it is an interference engine (self destructs if the belt breaks).

The interval is 90k miles. This seems to be pretty conservative and the waterpump is really the limiting factor in most cases.

I have changed 2 of these belts, on my vehicles, in both cases the waterpump had been seeping out of the weep hole (which is designed to direct seepage away from the timing belt.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-18-2013, 11:05 PM
The iForce 4.7 V8 that Toyota has been putting in everything for years (Tundra, Sequoia, 4runner, GX470, Land Cruiser, LX470) has a timing belt and it is an interference engine (self destructs if the belt breaks).

The interval is 90k miles. This seems to be pretty conservative and the waterpump is really the limiting factor in most cases.

I have changed 2 of these belts, on my vehicles, in both cases the waterpump had been seeping out of the weep hole (which is designed to direct seepage away from the timing belt.

I thought all these engines have been weeded out by now.

CruisinGA
04-18-2013, 11:32 PM
Even with all my time in Toyota circles, I have never heard of a timing belt failure on this engine.

It appears that the 90k change interval is very, very conservative.

CC2MC
04-19-2013, 12:04 AM
I have not done anything past my normal oil change on my 4runner. I tried to get the transmission fluid replaced a few thousand miles ago, but the oil change place would not do it, due to it being a sealed transmission. Any idea on how much it is to get the water pump, timing belt and pulleys replaced on a 2006 4Runer v8?

CruisinGA
04-19-2013, 02:27 AM
I believe the ATF change interval on your 4runner is 100k.

Parts to do your belt, wp, tensioners and idlers is around $500 from Toyota with 25% discount (not hard to get).
Takes me about 6-8 hrs to do the job including coolant flush and I am not a pro.

barefoot
04-19-2013, 09:42 AM
That V8 has a timing belt instead of a chain? I asked the service shop about the timing belt on my Highlander and they told me it is a chain.

V8 has a belt, V6 has a chain. Couple factors as to why I went with the V6 and timing chain was one of them.