PDA

View Full Version : '83 S&S Steering issue

83SuperSlot
04-18-2013, 01:21 AM
So I don't know exactly how it happened but now I can turn sharper to the right than I can to the left. Also, the "alignment" on the steering wheel is off. What happened? How do I fix it?

thatsmrmastercraft
04-18-2013, 09:41 AM
You didn't have the rudder and wheel centered when you connected the cable. You need to disconnect the rudder, get things centered and reattach rudder. As far as the steering wheel goes, sometimes you need to adjust the wheel itself, but having the wheel centered with the rudder straight isn't the same as having the wheel centered while operating the boat in a straight line.

TRBenj
04-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Disagree with the above, unless MC's are put together differently than the CC's Im used to. Centering the steering travel in both directions is a function of where the cable clamp tube is positioned. If the clamp loosened up and the tube slipped, it would result in unequal travel. The clamp tube is located at the aft end of the steering cable.

On a rotary system, having the steering wheel straight when going straight is a function of the steering wheel position when the cable is inserted into the helm. To adjust, remove the cable, turn the wheel by the number of degrees it was off previously, and reinsert. It may take a few tries to get it right.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Disagree with the above, unless MC's are put together differently than the CC's Im used to. Centering the steering travel in both directions is a function of where the cable clamp tube is positioned. If the clamp loosened up and the tube slipped, it would result in unequal travel. The clamp tube is located at the aft end of the steering cable.

On a rotary system, having the steering wheel straight when going straight is a function of the steering wheel position when the cable is inserted into the helm. To adjust, remove the cable, turn the wheel by the number of degrees it was off previously, and reinsert. It may take a few tries to get it right.

This is what I was trying to get across, but apparently I wasn't nearly as clear as I thought I was.:rolleyes:

83SuperSlot
04-18-2013, 12:10 PM
I actually have never removed or messed with the cable. It was just different one day. Are you saying that it may have slipped and need to be adjusted? If so, I will try the suggestions that you have made above. Is there anything else it could be?

Thanks!

Sotipnomon
04-18-2013, 12:21 PM
I was happy to see a question about this, my rudder turns much more one direction than the other. I loosened the arm on top of the rudder and tried to put it all in the center that way which helped a little but didn't fix it. I wondered if maybe they were supposed to for some reason but it sounds like not. I will try adjusting the cable as described.

Ski-me
04-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Hey SS.....nice to see you back! It's been awhile and I thought maybe you sold your boat. :( Glad you didn't....it's a sweet boat!!

I am no help for your steering, sorry. :)

TRBenj
04-18-2013, 06:12 PM
If MC used the same basic Teleflex rotary steering system that CC used from the mid 60's through ~1990, then you need to look for parts like this (ignore the second shorter clamp tube being held for reference).

The clamp tube threads onto the steering cable. The (white) clamp attaches to something solid on the hull (not shown in the picture is the bolt that attaches to the pivoting hex). Usually a stringer or a bracket on the back side of the strut. If the 4 bolts loosened up and the tube slipped within the clamp, it would result in unequal steering travel left/right. To center it, put the steering wheel in the center of its travel, then adjust the tube location within the clamp until the rudder is pointed straight, then tighten the 4 bolts on the clamp.

Cloaked
04-18-2013, 08:44 PM

+1 ....................

83SuperSlot
04-19-2013, 12:26 AM
Thanks for your help guys! I will work on this before I get it back on the water this season!! Ski-me, thanks man. It has been a while. I am glad to be back on and I don't think I'm going to be letting go of my baby for a while.. :). I have been watching your updates also, looking good! :headbang:

SKI*MC
04-21-2013, 07:53 PM
Hey guys, I didn't want to start a new thread pertaining to an 83 steering issue... but I also have an issue. Almost positive my steering cable is shot. I checked ski-dim, and I have a few questions. What type of steering cable do I need? I assume its rotary, I just don't know the brand I need. Also what length? I was told (by my dad) that that it's a 14 foot cable. Can anyone help me out here? Much appreciated!

Cloaked
04-21-2013, 08:01 PM
Hey guys, I didn't want to start a new thread pertaining to an 83 steering issue... but I also have an issue. Almost positive my steering cable is shot. I checked ski-dim, and I have a few questions. What type of steering cable do I need? I assume its rotary, I just don't know the brand I need. Also what length? I was told (by my dad) that that it's a 14 foot cable. Can anyone help me out here? Much appreciated!Teleflex single rotary. Best I recall, it's a 17 foot cable. Look up under the dash and on the steering cable sheathing, you'll see the length stamped on there.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TELSSC6117

SKI*MC
04-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Teleflex single rotary. Best I recall, it's a 17 foot cable. Look up under the dash and on the steering cable sheathing, you'll see the length stamped on there.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TELSSC6117

I always thought I remembered reading in here that it was a 17' cable too. I sent an email to ski-dim too so hopefully they have some input as well. This cable will work with my stock steering unit?

Cloaked
04-21-2013, 08:23 PM
I always thought I remembered reading in here that it was a 17' cable too. I sent an email to ski-dim too so hopefully they have some input as well. This cable will work with my stock steering unit?Yes. The new cables have a quick-connect adapter but it will work. I have one ready to go on my 93 model, same identical application. Skidim will hook you up. Good people to deal with. I endorse them exclusively for all of my professional work.....

SKI*MC
04-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Yes. The new cables have a quick-connect adapter but it will work. I have one ready to go on my 93 model, same identical application. Skidim will hook you up. Good people to deal with. I endorse them exclusively for all of my professional work.....

So I just got an email back from Richard at ski-dim. He said I need a 14' cable... :confused: He also said that MC was switching from the teleflex rotary to the steermaster in 83. I was also told that the UFLEX rotary kit is a replacement for the Steermaster. I was just looking to replace the cable... sooo i'm a little confused as to what I truely need.

Cloaked
04-22-2013, 04:39 PM
So I just got an email back from Richard at ski-dim. He said I need a 14' cable... :confused: He also said that MC was switching from the teleflex rotary to the steermaster in 83. I was also told that the UFLEX rotary kit is a replacement for the Steermaster. I was just looking to replace the cable... sooo i'm a little confused as to what I truely need.I'd trust Richard's information. My recollection was from several years ago and I just bought a 17' for my 93, so good that Richard confirmed for your 83. Those guys know the ropes as part of their business. For my 93 they (Skidim) sent me the 17' Teleflex....

I think the Teleflex cable (only) is the way to go, just as was the case for my 93. Call Skidim tomorrow and get someone on the phone for confirmation. They are great to work with even over the phone.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-22-2013, 04:41 PM
The cable length was stamped into the cable at the rudder end on my boat.

SKI*MC
04-22-2013, 09:46 PM
I'd trust Richard's information. My recollection was from several years ago and I just bought a 17' for my 93, so good that Richard confirmed for your 83. Those guys know the ropes as part of their business. For my 93 they (Skidim) sent me the 17' Teleflex....

I think the Teleflex cable (only) is the way to go, just as was the case for my 93. Call Skidim tomorrow and get someone on the phone for confirmation. They are great to work with even over the phone.

Did you only need the cable because your steering unit was "new" enough? I'm not sure is 83 and 93 used the same steering units....

Cloaked
04-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Did you only need the cable because your steering unit was "new" enough? I'm not sure is 83 and 93 used the same steering units....For mine, yes. Cable only.

I have had 82 - 85 in recent years and I recall them being the same. Crawl up under the dash and look, but honestly, Skidim knows these boats as well as anyone. Richard is on the mark 99% of the time from my dealings with them.

Also pull the rear center section of the floor and look at the cable from that end. The floor has to come out if you're replacing the cable....

SKI*MC
04-22-2013, 09:59 PM
For mine, yes. Cable only.

I have had 82 - 85 in recent years and I recall them being the same. Crawl up under the dash and look, but honestly, Skidim knows these boats as well as anyone. Richard is on the mark 99% of the time from my dealings with them.

Also pull the rear center section of the floor and look at the cable from that end. The floor has to come out if you're replacing the cable....

from what I know, my boat has a 14' MKIII steermaster cable. Do you know if this is the same cable you had? Sorry about all the questions, I just hate ordering the wrong stuff :rolleyes:

tph
04-22-2013, 11:25 PM
from what I know, my boat has a 14' MKIII steermaster cable. Do you know if this is the same cable you had? Sorry about all the questions, I just hate ordering the wrong stuff :rolleyes:

If your '83 steering system is original it is a Steermaster. As far as I know parts for these systems are no longer being made. However, some OEM cables are available from the site listed below. They are pricey but available.

http://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=642

SKI*MC
04-23-2013, 09:37 AM
If your '83 steering system is original it is a Steermaster. As far as I know parts for these systems are no longer being made. However, some OEM cables are available from the site listed below. They are pricey but available.

http://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=642

that is a little too pricey for me... I'd almost rather buy a new steering assembly with new cable, because I'm sure there is some slop in my current steering assembly. Thanks for the link though, always good to have a back up option!

SKI*MC
04-23-2013, 09:29 PM
well I just ordered the UFLEX Rotary kit, along with a new impeller from ski-dim. Richard did a great job at answering all my unanswered questions, and I'll definitely do business with them again. I just hope this new kit works out alright, I know it will require some fiberglass cutting in the dash, other than that it looks like a sterrible install. The steering on my boat has gotten stiffer and stiffer over the years, as well as sloppy. Hopefully this fixes all my problems.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-23-2013, 10:36 PM
Good luck with the install. Mine went very well. Jump back on here with any installation issues, or happy results.

SKI*MC
04-28-2013, 01:44 PM
The install went pretty good. No surprises, and everything was pretty straight forward.

Cloaked
04-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Looks like a straight forward install.... thanks for the pics

Someone here (in a recent thread) put in a rack-and-pinion system in an older model... I'd like to have that setup sometime.............. during another wintertime of work.....

thatsmrmastercraft
04-28-2013, 06:10 PM
The install went pretty good. No surprises, and everything was pretty straight forward.

Nice work. :toast:

occva
04-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Photo for pinelakerumble.