PDA

View Full Version : Downside to low profile tires?

kgrove
04-17-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm looking at a used boat that has a trailer with low profile tires. I would never spend the money up front on low profile tires if I were designing the boat and trailer from scratch, but that's not an option here.

Is there a downside to the low profile tires and wheels? Are they materially more expensive to replace tires? Any more likely to have flats? Does the reduced amount of cushion between the boat and road have any adverse impact to the boat? Any less safe?

I'm trying to figure out if I should be viewing these as net neutral to my purchase or if I should factor in some negative value to me of those wheels. I'm already factoring in a little negative for these as I think this particular choice is ugly, but I'm trying to see if there are non-appearance reasons I should consider as well.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-17-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm looking at a used boat that has a trailer with low profile tires. I would never spend the money up front on low profile tires if I were designing the boat and trailer from scratch, but that's not an option here.

Is there a downside to the low profile tires and wheels? Are they materially more expensive to replace tires? Any more likely to have flats? Does the reduced amount of cushion between the boat and road have any adverse impact to the boat? Any less safe?

I'm trying to figure out if I should be viewing these as net neutral to my purchase or if I should factor in some negative value to me of those wheels. I'm already factoring in a little negative for these as I think this particular choice is ugly, but I'm trying to see if there are non-appearance reasons I should consider as well.

Tires and wheels are more expensive. Tires are more prone to impact damage from debris in road or pothole. Some ride is sacrificed due to less sidewall, though there is very little difference. Wider tire width will provide slightly more rolling resistance, though also very little difference. The trade-off is the good looks. Not for everyone.

nickespi
04-17-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm not a big fan of them. I know guys run them so they can have larger wheels but the load rating would worry me. At least on my X30 it would.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-17-2013, 03:33 PM
I'm not a big fan of them. I know guys run them so they can have larger wheels but the load rating would worry me. At least on my X30 it would.

There should be no problems using XL tires.

nickespi
04-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Agreed, but I've seen some guys cutting corners and throwing cheap stuff on 20 inch rims just so they can say "they runnin' dubs."

nickespi
04-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Btw, what would some XLs run me lol

pap
04-17-2013, 04:26 PM
don't forget less sidewall = more chance of curb rash for rims as well.

Definitely need to make sure tires and rims are load rated.

GoneBoatN
04-17-2013, 04:31 PM

When I got my boat it had a low profile trailer. I had the dealer swap with another trailer to get regular tires. One of my cars has LP tires and I hate the extra cost every time I have to replace them (since they are also high speed rated, turns out to be more often than I would like).

Thinking out loud: I would not think that the small amount of money related to the tires/wheels would impact the decision on the boat. If anything, factor in the cost to change over the rims at the next tire replacement time to a standard size and use that to set your go/no-go decision on the price of the boat.

GoneBoatN
04-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Looking at this web site, factor in about $85-120 per wheel - http://trailertirewarehouse.com/Aluminum-Wheels_c2.htm

Then again, all depends upon your taste for rims.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Low profile wheel/tire combinations on boat trailers typically are based on a 9 inch wide wheel. If you replace with a conventional 14x6 wheel, you come up with a three inch difference. Hard to make up for that and have the wheels fit properly. Just some food for thought.

kgrove
04-17-2013, 06:08 PM
I asked about swapping the tires/wheels with another boat with standard wheels, but was cautioned that while technically possible the trailer also has wider wheel fenders to accomodate the current setup.

Aric'sX15
04-17-2013, 06:54 PM
the low profile trailers look sweet!! dont change it. I havent heard of any problems with them the whole time ive been on the forum.

gotjag941
04-17-2013, 07:09 PM
IMO low profile tires are better I mean trailer low profile tires usually has a 45 side wall which in my experiences is plenty of tire so don't sweat it

Voodoo
04-17-2013, 07:13 PM
You mean practical, road handling problems? Not the fact that they look stupid, right?

Aric'sX15
04-17-2013, 07:16 PM
hes talking about usability, not your opinion^

onewheat
04-17-2013, 07:55 PM
What size tires are on them from the factory with the Low-Profile option?

gotjag941
04-17-2013, 07:59 PM
I believe 255/45/18 or 255/55/18

onewheat
04-17-2013, 08:06 PM
I believe 255/45/18 or 255/55/18

That could get a bit spendy when replacing them, not that buying 4 (or 5) tires to replace tires that look brand new and are 5 years old doesn't already suck.

onewheat
04-17-2013, 08:10 PM
I just saw this on Discount Tire's website too - seems fitting.

Time
Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
In approximately three years, roughly one-third of the tire's strength is gone.
Three to five years is the projected life of a normal trailer tire.
It is suggested that trailer tires be replaced after three to four years of service regardless of tread depth or tire appearance.

Mileage
Trailer tires are not designed to wear out.
The life of a trailer tire is limited by time and duty cycles.
The mileage expectation of a trailer tire is 5,000 to 12,000 miles.