PDA

View Full Version : Fatboy for a fat boy...

lakes Rick
09-23-2005, 06:33 PM
I ordered my new Harley yesterday....

Tired of saying I was too poor.... Heard of three guys in their 40's who died yesterday... Only so many weekends left for us geezers..

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-23-2005, 07:30 PM
:toast: Congrats!!! same motivation for me buying the MC. Watched my uncle die of cancer last year....makes you think man, it makes you think. LIfe is fragile, more than we realize. I have had SO much fun with my boat this year, its so worth it. Enjoy your bike man!!!!! :D :dance:

André
09-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Congrats Rick.I know you've been waiting to get another one.
Keeping the MC or not? You'll use the bike much more i think...

André
09-23-2005, 07:34 PM
Can you post a picture of what you ordered ?

Mag_Red
09-23-2005, 08:18 PM
Yeah...let's see a pic Rick! :banana: Mag Red should get one too.......I hear the chicks love em :D

André
09-23-2005, 08:22 PM
Yeah...let's see a pic Rick! :banana: Mag Red should get one too.......I hear the chicks love em :D
Yep,i really see you on one of those Mag! :cool:
Is there still an Harley model with a small fairing(sp) like a speed bike ?

BriEOD
09-23-2005, 08:22 PM
Black? Why the Fatboy? My neighbor just traded his fat boy in on a Road King.

bcampbe7
09-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Congrats Rick! Post some pics when you get it...

tones03
09-23-2005, 11:36 PM
Congrats, my dad just got a 100th anniversary Road King, riding a Harley Davidson is the next best thing to being on a MC. I always ride the HD to our cottage to go on the MC, but that is when life gets real tough.

east tx skier
09-24-2005, 01:43 AM
Very good, Rick. Let's see pictures!

erkoehler
09-24-2005, 01:50 AM
I be like the tenth to request the pics, and congrats.

bigmac
09-24-2005, 03:16 AM
Black? Why the Fatboy? My neighbor just traded his fat boy in on a Road King.
Road King is a nice ride for cruising it you're going long distance. I'm partial to shorter-haul cruising and have opted for the Heritage Special all these years. The common wisdom is that you sit ON a Road King and sit IN a softail.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/32870808.jpg

erkoehler
09-24-2005, 03:29 AM
Sharp bike :eek:

PendO
09-24-2005, 03:31 AM
Road King is a nice ride for cruising it you're going long distance. I'm partial to shorter-haul cruising and have opted for the Heritage Special all these years. The common wisdom is that you sit ON a Road King and sit IN a softail.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/32870808.jpg

Is the fat boy based on the softail platform?

bigmac
09-24-2005, 09:07 AM
Is the fat boy based on the softail platform?

Yes the Fat Boy is a softail. The only difference is in styling cues - wheels, no saddlebags, no windshield, no passing lamps...stuff like that.

PendO
09-24-2005, 12:14 PM
Yes the Fat Boy is a softail. The only difference is in styling cues - wheels, no saddlebags, no windshield, no passing lamps...stuff like that.

so is the engine rubber mounted ...

Congrats Rick!

stevo137
09-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Congrats Rick.
Enjoy my friend...

lakes Rick
09-24-2005, 12:32 PM
To respond to all the questions..

While I have put money down on one, it will not be in until march or april of 06... A matching bike is in transit to the dealer ( I have first rights on it) but I do not want to winter another Harley ( bought my 97 softail custom in september) and I want to work on my convertible ( remember it?) this winter and not let anything else get in my way.... I do want to make sure a bike to my specs will be available next early spring, the reasoning here.. So no pics yet...

Go to the Harley website, click on softails, click on fatboy, and then you can play with the colors.. Great website... And please don't ask about the Screamin Eagle fatboy special edition... $30,000 is just too much and the bike is a little toooooo pretty for me.. I did think about it though.... Mag??????? Yes Harleys are babe magnets like you would not believe.. Although the newer ones do not vibrate as much and are not as popular with the ladies ( if you get my drift)... True story here..

I have wanted another Harley since selling my 97 in 2000.... Not sure which model I wanted and have not liked some colors, years ( 2003's are butt ugly in my opinion), and I would like to buy new...

I was looking at the Road King custom, the loaded bikes are a better deal, but the Fat boy is what I have wanted and I am not ready for a "geezer glide" quite yet.. I will add a detachable Windshield, sissy bar ( patty's request), bags, and some chrome..

Fatboy? Black?... A shiney black Harley Fatboy with the chrome all polished up is about as cool as it gets......

I grew up on Mini bikes, gocarts, MANY motorcycles ( dirt and street) quads and 3 wheelers ( I have a Suzuki Z400 now) and after riding my buddies Harley in 96 it just gets in the blood. I went home and sold my Yamaha 600 and started to save for my Harley I purchased in 97.. The comraderie is like the MC board here and I hate to say this but, "if you have to ask you just don't understand"..... So my reasoning to get another Harley vs. a Jap bike... I have looked and some of the Jap bikes are pretty cool, but they "aint a Harley"..... Rick

lakes Rick
09-24-2005, 12:35 PM

Congrats Rick!

No the softails are NOT rubber mounted.. The softail engine have a balance shaft in it which smooths it out.. VERY unpopular with the ladies.........

bigmac
09-24-2005, 01:19 PM

Congrats Rick!

No. The touring bikes (FLH) like the Road King have rubber mounted engines, but not the softails.

BriEOD
09-24-2005, 07:25 PM
Sounds pretty sweet Rick. My neighbors was black w/Screaming Eagle pipes. He likes to ride to bike weeks in Daytona, Myrtle Beach and even Sturgis. So, he decided to go with the touring style.

Big Mac, another neighbor of mine has a Duce that is the same color as yours and is the anniversary model. Pretty cool.

shepherd
09-25-2005, 01:08 AM
Lakes Rick, I don't know how you do it man. With me it's instant gratification... I went to a couple dealers and picked the one I like (with the wife's input of course ;) ) right off the dealer floor. Drove it off the lot the same day I bought it -- last December.

Thunder Beach is on in Panama City this weekend! I'm shopping for some new pipes. Looking at the Samson Big Guns3 "Rip Saws." They got a special on them at Thunder Beach.

That's a beautiful bike BigMac! What type of pipes do you have???
I'm thinking my next bike will be a Road King custom... those look wicked! :worthy:

Here's a pic of my bike...

bigmac
09-25-2005, 03:48 AM
Lakes Rick, I don't know how you do it man. With me it's instant gratification... I went to a couple dealers and picked the one I like (with the wife's input of course ;) ) right off the dealer floor. Drove it off the lot the same day I bought it -- last December.

Thunder Beach is on in Panama City this weekend! I'm shopping for some new pipes. Looking at the Samson Big Guns3 "Rip Saws." They got a special on them at Thunder Beach.

That's a beautiful bike BigMac! What type of pipes do you have???
I'm thinking my next bike will be a Road King custom... those look wicked! :worthy:

Here's a pic of my bike...I always liked the FatBoy, but up here in Minnesota it's clear that a windshield is going to be necessary.

The pipes are BigShot Staggered (Vance Hines). The bike also has the high flow K&N air filter and Stage 1 ECM flash, with a custom dyno-mapped program in a PowerCommander (IOW, the fuel injection is completely re-mapped, with resultant increase in HP and torque). The air/fuel mixture on current HD's is ridiculously lean so that they can meet emissions standards without a catalytic converter. That HAS to be one of the first things one needs to fix when one buys a new Harley.

André
09-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Nice bike shepperd!

SkiDog
09-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Hey Sheppard,
If you are about to buy some new pipes for your Heritage, be sure and take a good look at the Basani's. In my opinion, (for what its worth) They build one of the finest pipes around! I have had them on every bike that I have owned with the exception of one. (5 bikes in all) I promise you, you will LOVE the sound and the increased HP.
Good luck. Will you be in Daytona for Biketoberfest?

lakes Rick
09-25-2005, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=shepherd]Lakes Rick, I don't know how you do it man. With me it's instant gratification... I went to a couple dealers and picked the one I like (with the wife's input of course ;) ) right off the dealer floor. Drove it off the lot the same day I bought it -- last December.

Its called "no money" !!!!!! I have been looking for about 3 years trying to decide on which one I wanted and kept on coming back to the Fatboy.. I had a softail custom before and wanted a fat tire bike this time.....

shepherd
09-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Skidog, thanks for the recommendation. But I just got back from the Beach where I bought me some new Rip Saws. Can't wait to get them on :headbang: They were closing up the truck when I came up and asked them to sell me a set. They had to half unpack the truck to get to them :D . I would have been there earlier but we took the MC out to the course for a quick slalom session. It would have been longer but the wind was really kicking up the chop :mad:

Lakes Rick, I guess I misunderstood. I thought you already bought the bike but are waiting until next year for delivery (?). Are you on a layaway plan or something?

Bigmac -- AWESOME! I'm going for the Stage 1 to go with my new pipes. I'll ask about the mixture thing...

bigmac
09-25-2005, 04:54 PM
?

Bigmac -- AWESOME! I'm going for the Stage 1 to go with my new pipes. I'll ask about the mixture thing...

Carb rejetting or remapping the ECM is mandatory in all the later model HD's IMHO- they are all very lean.

The stage 1 remap won't fix the basic air/fuel ratio - that requires remapping the ECM with a PowerCommander or a Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner.

lakes Rick
09-25-2005, 08:12 PM
Lakes Rick, I guess I misunderstood. I thought you already bought the bike but are waiting until next year for delivery (?). Are you on a layaway plan or something?

I put money down on the one I want coming in March.. Gives me first right of refusal, according to the Dealer.... So technically it is my bike when it comes in... No sense in wintering one here in Oregon.. Kinda rains alot......

shepherd
09-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Carb rejetting or remapping the ECM is mandatory in all the later model HD's IMHO- they are all very lean.

The stage 1 remap won't fix the basic air/fuel ratio - that requires remapping the ECM with a PowerCommander or a Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner.

Is that something I can depend on my local Harley dealer to do, or do I have to go to someone else??? I was told by the Samson salesman that I need to take my bike to the dealer to install a Stage 1 air cleaner and remap the ECM after I install the pipes.

bigmac
09-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Is that something I can depend on my local Harley dealer to do, or do I have to go to someone else??? I was told by the Samson salesman that I need to take my bike to the dealer to install a Stage 1 air cleaner and remap the ECM after I install the pipes.

Anybody, even you, can rejet a carburetted bike. If your bike is EFI, you can re-map the ECM too. The stage 1 ECM reflash can only be done by an HD dealer.

"Stage 1" as HD defines it is increasing the breathing of the machine - more air flow in and out (air filter and pipes). Note that this results in a leaner condition in a bike that is already way lean from the factory. As a result, changes have to made to the fuel system to increase fuel flow and richen it up. Fuel flow requirements will be different at different RPMs and throttle positions. In a carbureted bike, the carb has to be rejetted (idle circuit, midrange, and main jets) and in an EFI bike the engine computer has to be remapped.

HD has a kind of generic map for bikes that have increased breathing (pipes and air filter) - the Stage 1 map. You take your bike in to an HD dealer, pay them $150, they plug it into a laptop and reflash the ECM. It doesn't change the basic A/F ratios, still too lean (in order to meet EPA), but it's not DANGEROUSLY lean.

Rejetting a carb is pretty easy for someone with basic skills and is best accomplished with the correct DynoJet kit (http://www.dynojet.com/jetkits/motorcycle/harley.php). It includes jets, thorough instructions, sometimes different slide spring, sometimes changes to the slide itself. Re-mapping an EFI can also be done, using a DynoJet PowerCommander (http://www.powercommander.com/) - a programmable device that plugs directly in-line with the bike's stock ECM and custom or downloadable maps can be uploaded to the PowerCommander from a laptop. They cost around $300. One doesn't HAVE to do the stage 1 from HD - there are maps for the PowerCommander that fit your specific pipes and AC both with and without the Stage 1 reflash. Additionally, an HD ECM can be reprogrammed directly with the Screamin Eagle Race Tuner (http://www.motorcycledaily.com/harleyefiracetunerkit.html) which is about $450. It's harder to use, but is very sophisticated. It's sold "for racing applications only" because the bike won't meet OEM emissions requirements once you reprogram the ECM to reasonable air/fuel ratios.

I've always rejetted my bikes along with AC and pipes in order to improve performance. My current bike is an FLSTCI and is my first EFI bike. I was amazed at the heat coming off of it, usually running around 230-250 oil temp. Changing the A/F ratio with a PowerCommander cooled it off a lot, 200-210. It also increased the performance considerably. It wasn't bad using the stock map I downloaded from the PowerCommander site, but it improved even more after I had it custom mapped by the dealer on a dyno.

Bottom line, your pipe dealer is right. From a performance standpoint, it's pretty pointless to install pipes but not a high-flow air filter, and if you do do both, you'll need to have your ECM re-flashed by the HD dealer unless you elect to go with a PowerCommander or SERT. I use the PowerCommander, but I elected to have the ECM reflashed anyway in case the PowerCommander ever craps out away from home. In that case, I can just unplug the thing and drive home without running dangerously lean.

shepherd
09-26-2005, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the info bigmac. I'm taking her to the dealer Saturday for the new AC and remap.