PDA

View Full Version : Explosion at Boston Marathon

02ProstarSammyD
04-15-2013, 03:54 PM
*** is wrong with people?

thatsmrmastercraft
04-15-2013, 04:19 PM
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/15/17764747-explosions-rock-finish-of-boston-marathon-2-killed-and-at-least-22-hurt-police-say?fb_action_ids=10200179513984168&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_ref=AddThis_Blogs&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210200179513984168%22%3A330 687997033945%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210200179513984168%22%3A%22og .recommends%22%7D&action_ref_map=%7B%2210200179513984168%22%3A%22Add This_Blogs%22%7D

Two explosions went off near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday as runners completed the race and thousands of people cheered them on. The blasts were described by race organizers as two bombs, and witnesses told NBC News that there were widespread injuries, some severe.
Video from the finish line showed screams and an enormous cloud of white smoke, and about 20 seconds between the blasts. The Associated Press reported that bloody spectators were being carried to a medical tent that had been set up to care for tired runners.
Jackie Bruno, a reporter for New England Cable News, said on Twitter that she saw people’s legs blown off.
“Runners were coming in and saw unspeakable horror,” she said.

Massachusetts General Hospital said that it had 19 patients. Tufts Medical Center said it had one patient and two on the way.
A House Homeland Security Committee official told NBC News that Boston firefighters reported discovering an undetonated device at an intersection near the finish.
Serghino Rene, 30, who works in alumni relations, was volunteering near the finish line not long before the bombing but was a few blocks away when he heard the explosion.
“We saw two big puffs. I thought maybe it was fireworks. Then it went off again. And then all of a sudden we heard people crying and running away. It was a huge horde of people just running away,” he said. “We just got away from the scene and away from tall buildings. I’m scared and emotional. I’m wondering if there are people who I was volunteering with who were still there and got hurt.”
Race organizers, in a post on Twitter, said: “There were two bombs that exploded near the finish line in today’s Boston Marathon We are working with law enforcement to determine exactly what happened.”
President Barack Obama was notified, and his administration was in touch with state and local authorities, a White House official told NBC News. Obama directed the administration to provide whatever help was necessary, the official said.
Within the first hour after the blasts, New York police deployed counterterrorism vehicles to landmarks, and Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House was closed to foot traffic.
The race is a signature event in Boston and has been run since 1897 on Patriots Day, the third Monday in April. Tens of thousands of spectators turn out each year to watch.
Race organizers said that almost 27,000 runners competed, representing 96 countries. The winners were Lelisa Desisa of Ethiopia for the men and Rita Jeptoo of Kenya for the women. A special marker at the 26th mile of the course, yards from the finish, had been set up to honor the 26 dead in the Newtown, Conn., elementary school shooting last December.
The race began at 10 a.m., and the explosions were reported just before 3 p.m. The winners had long ago completed the race, but the explosions came as masses of other runners were approaching the finish. NBC affiliate WHDH said that storefront windows nearby were blown out.
Will Ritter, the spokesman for Massachusetts Senate candidate Gabriel Gomez, told NBC News that he heard what sounded like two explosions and saw smoke rising near the Boston Public Library. He said that he saw three fire engines and police running to the site.
“We heard two really large explosions in rapid succession, about a second apart from each other,” Ritter said. “Everybody kind of ducked and hit the ground.”
Janet Wu, a reporter for WHDH, told NBC News that she heard two loud explosions. A witness told WHDH that it sounded like cannon fire.
The AP reported that runners and race organizers were crying as they fled the scene. Runners who were still on the 26.2-mile course were being stopped and directed elsewhere, the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency said. The agency suggested that people trying to reach loved ones use text messaging because of crowded phone lines.
The Boston police bomb squad was en route. Police, fire and medical technicians were responding. New England Cable News reported that the emergency response came within seconds.
The Boston transit system suspended some service.

DemolitionMan
04-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Thoughts and prayers are with everyone.

JimN
04-15-2013, 04:37 PM
I got a call from a customer earlier this morning and she said she didn't have a lot of time to talk because their daughter, who lives around the corner from me, was running in Boston. I hope she was out of the area when this happened.

This shyte needs to stop- when will we be able to chase after the specific suspects, rather than giving everyone a hug? My top suspects are: Islamic militants/sympathizers and gun control nuts.

D3skier
04-15-2013, 04:50 PM
at this rate within 25 years our cars will all be bullet proof and to just be able to go to the mall we'll have to wear bullet proof vests

pmkkdx
04-15-2013, 05:23 PM
heard there was a third explosion ... prayers for those effected by the blasts

GoinBoatin
04-15-2013, 05:43 PM
The 3rd wasn't an explosion, it was an unrelated fire at the JFK library. There was however a 3rd bomb that was found and defused. Such a tragedy. Some people are so effd up in the head that they would do things like these.

mikeg205
04-15-2013, 05:53 PM
what is wrong with people... tragic - my thoughts will all those involved. :(

f925
04-15-2013, 06:21 PM
The part that gets me is the targets in this bombing. I understand what the World Trade Center symbolized, and what bombing an abortion clinic symbolizes. Both still effed up as can be what *** is the point in going after the average citizen/ athlete. I am in full support of targeted man hunts. At some point we have to fix whats broken within our own damn boarders before we try to fix the world. I hope for quick and decisive justice against anyone involved in this act. Public hanging sounds appropriate to me. I will not be happy to see these asshats coddled and cuddled by people who find the death penalty distasteful. My thoughts are with every person and family member associated with this act of terror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Double D
04-15-2013, 06:46 PM
NoBama: “I want to reiterate that we will find out who did this and hold them responsible”.

No kidding bonehead. Tell us something we don't know. Worthless words from a worthless guy during this very upsetting and tragic time. Let the important people do their jobs, hunt down the guilty, and destroy them!!

My thoughts and prayer go out to all affected by this moronic event...

Ron Grover
04-15-2013, 06:56 PM
NoBama: “I want to reiterate that we will find out who did this and hold them responsible”.

No kidding bonehead. Tell us something we don't know. Worthless words from a worthless guy during this very upsetting and tragic time. Let the important people do their jobs, hunt down the guilty, and destroy them!!

My thoughts and prayer go out to all affected by this moronic event...
Now is not the time for politics. Or did you say that when Oklahoma City and 9/11 happened too?

Now is the time to come together as a nation along with our President just as most all of us did during the other terrorist events.

Traxx822
04-15-2013, 07:14 PM
Now is not the time for politics. Or did you say that when Oklahoma City and 9/11 happened too?

Now is the time to come together as a nation along with our President just as most all of us did during the other terrorist events.

Agreed its not a good time to point fingers. Or make this political.

But he did say the buck stops with him.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Double D
04-15-2013, 07:44 PM

Agreed its not a good time to point fingers. Or make this political.

But he did say the buck stops with him.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Sorry guys, not trying to be political. I just want justice and when I heard he was going to have a press conference on it, I thought to myself, "I dont care, he personally cant do anything about it besides resources, and then avoid calling it terror." Again, sorry guys, my bad!!

homer12
04-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Makes me sick to my stomach to see senseless bloodshed in that manner. Silver lining was to see how swiftly and courageously those around responded within seconds to those needing help.

It's too bad Massachusetts doesn't have a death penalty in place.

mustangtexas
04-16-2013, 06:03 AM
It's too bad Massachusetts doesn't have a death penalty in place.

Acts of Terror are federal crimes like the Oklahoma City bombing with the death penalty available.

JohnnyB
04-16-2013, 06:52 AM
Death is too kind for people that commit these acts

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

1redTA
04-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Thoughts and prayers for all who were affected. Now lets go bomb some @$$ holes.

76S&S
04-16-2013, 08:33 AM
Prayers sent up; may justice be swift and true!

If this is where this kind of senseless act is headed, it makes me think twice about attending any large sporting event.

nickespi
04-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Time to go to work for this guy!

CantRepeat
04-16-2013, 08:44 AM
It's truly tragic reminder that America has been and still is at war.

JimN
04-16-2013, 09:07 AM
Thoughts and prayers for all who were affected. Now lets go bomb some @$$ holes.

How about if we find out who did it, first? Assuming doesn't help and an Islamic group hasn't claimed this to be theirs, unlike most other bombings. In fact, I heard a report that one group said something to the effect of "We will kill Americans when we get any chance, but this was not our attack". Obviously, this could be their way of trying to gain some space, but I really think this was home-grown.

mzimme
04-16-2013, 09:32 AM
I heard a good quote from a veteran about this - "Pray all you want, but this will be settled by men with guns".

Really, really, really sad. I've seen some pretty gross pictures that have been documenting this. Whoever is responsible is a sick person. The WSJ is also reporting an additional 5 explosive devices had been found.

milkmania
04-16-2013, 09:39 AM
I hate the way the media takes this tragedy and run with it..... There's nothing like portraying and documenting every aspect and flooding the television with it. Don't get me wrong, our safety and security IS compromised.....
But, when a bomb expert comes on the television and says you can google everything you need to know on how to build a bomb, and where to order the detonation devices.... something is wrong!

And in case the perpetrators are wondering what happened with their bomb, they just have to turn on the TV and the media will serve them every bit of info they seek, right at their fingertips.
the media will show them EVERY ASPECT of their bombing.... from the feelings of people directly involved, the surgeons, the first responders, right now this newslady is referring to her 10 year old daughter and how she couldn't sleep last night and wanting to know why this keeps happening.
This guest is saying "you're hearing really really difficult words for a 10 year old to deal with, and there's images floating all over the internet, very graphic images, I've seen a few of them, they're incredibly graphic"

I'm thinking the media and the internet has perpetuated our demise.... years ago when there were bombings in other countries... it came out in the newspaper, and the 5 o'clock and 10 o'clock news....... there wasn't instant notification and 24 hour media saturation, or cell phones providing instant information.

I can just vision the bad guys just sitting in a room rubbing their hands together, DVR'ing everything they can.... The media is showing how the world stopped at that moment and how everyone was directly or indirectly impacted.... how ball games were cancelled, how the power plants went into high alert, heightened security, and how it reminds everyone about 9/11 or the OKC bombing.
and now London Marathon is reviewing their security measures for their upcoming event.

Now they refer to it as "The Boston Bombing"

http://deephousepage.com/smilies/rant.gif

milkmania
04-16-2013, 09:50 AM
And if someone is angry, sitting in their basement building a bomb.... The media is encouraging that they will get noticed and make a name in history for themselves....
There are some really messed up people lurking in the shadows, just waiting for an ounce of encouragement!

JimN
04-16-2013, 09:52 AM
I hate the way the media takes this tragedy and run with it..... There's nothing like portraying and documenting every aspect and flooding the television with it. Don't get me wrong, our safety and security IS compromised.....
But, when a bomb expert comes on the television and says you can google everything you need to know on how to build a bomb, and where to order the detonation devices.... something is wrong!

And in case the perpetrators are wondering what happened with their bomb, they just have to turn on the TV and the media will serve them every bit of info they seek, right at their fingertips.
the media will show them EVERY ASPECT of their bombing.... from the feelings of people directly involved, the surgeons, the first responders, right now this newslady is referring to her 10 year old daughter and how she couldn't sleep last night and wanting to know why this keeps happening.
This guest is saying "you're hearing really really difficult words for a 10 year old to deal with, and there's images floating all over the internet, very graphic images, I've seen a few of them, they're incredibly graphic"

I'm thinking the media and the internet has perpetuated our demise.... years ago when there were bombings in other countries... it came out in the newspaper, and the 5 o'clock and 10 o'clock news....... there wasn't instant notification and 24 hour media saturation, or cell phones providing instant information.

I can just vision the bad guys just sitting in a room rubbing their hands together, DVR'ing everything they can.... The media is showing how the world stopped at that moment and how everyone was directly or indirectly impacted.... how ball games were cancelled, how the power plants went into high alert, heightened security, and how it reminds everyone about 9/11 or the OKC bombing.
and now London Marathon is reviewing their security measures for their upcoming event.

Now they refer to it as "The Boston Bombing"

http://deephousepage.com/smilies/rant.gif

TV and other forms of entertainment just give people what they want, whether they decided they want it on their own, or they're impressionable enough that "The man with the kind face on TV told me that I want/need this". Also, when more people watch a channel, that channel can make more M-O-N-E-Y.

Also, people can't stop watching for a car crash, out of morbid curiosity.

milkmania
04-16-2013, 09:57 AM
TV and other forms of entertainment just give people what they want, whether they decided they want it on their own, or they're impressionable enough that "The man with the kind face on TV told me that I want/need this". Also, when more people watch a channel, that channel can make more M-O-N-E-Y.

Also, people can't stop watching for a car crash, out of morbid curiosity.

ex-wife saturated herself with media coverage over the 9/11 tragedy and made herself sick over it.

JimN
04-16-2013, 10:05 AM
And if someone is angry, sitting in their basement building a bomb.... The media is encouraging that they will get noticed and make a name in history for themselves....
There are some really messed up people lurking in the shadows, just waiting for an ounce of encouragement!

I think a lot of people did and I'm positive that most people are far from being the same person they were before that.

I stand by my comments that "People suck". Glorifying this kind of thing is a major reason for why we're headed toward some really bad times.

captain planet
04-16-2013, 11:11 AM
The next question is, how will the rest of us pay for this with respect to which civil liberty is next on the chopping block to make us 'safer'? Don't get me wrong, this sucks and I absolutely hate this happened....but how we will pay was my next thought.

gid
04-16-2013, 11:23 AM
The next question is, how will the rest of us pay for this with respect to which civil liberty is next on the chopping block to make us 'safer'? Don't get me wrong, this sucks and I absolutely hate this happened....but how we will pay was my next thought.

One story said the bomb was 'simple' probably black powder - fuse of some kind and ball bearings (hench most of the damage) anyone can get black powder - for now.
OKC bombing was fertlizer and diesel fuel

captain planet
04-16-2013, 11:31 AM
One story said the bomb was 'simple' probably black powder - fuse of some kind and ball bearings (hench most of the damage) anyone can get black powder - for now.

Just off the cuff....that's how we'll pay. They will regulate black powder sales and those that reload their own ammo will not be able to get it. Then they will restrict/regulate ammo sales and they won't have to worry about gun regulations.

aquaman
04-16-2013, 11:42 AM

People are resourceful......

The clear Illustration here is that Govt cannot prevent bad things from happening with Regulations.

Govt regualtions on guns, fertilizer, etc will only push people to be more creative. Evil has no limits.

milkmania
04-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Then the dumbass media wanna make it sound like a concert :(93263

Dino Don
04-16-2013, 12:49 PM
People are resourceful......

The clear Illustration here is that Govt cannot prevent bad things from happening with Regulations.

Govt regualtions on guns, fertilizer, etc will only push people to be more creative. Evil has no limits.

Above well said--

Chuck Colson said it years ago, we are slowly giving away our freedoms for the hope of security. Sadly they are freedoms many gave it all for and we have taken them for granted. We blame it all on devices and tools used but we reframe from confronting the real cause, the condition of the human heart. We continue to take aspirin for the cancer that is destroying us. We refuse to learn from our history and we repeat the same mistakes over and over--it begs the question, how stupid must we continue to be? Definition of insanity seems to be well applied here!

We want someone else to solve the problem so we can continue on down the road to self-fulfillment and not be bothered. Freedom is not free and it requires much in the way of responsibility. Until we become responsible again, standing for what is true and right, and teach our young people to be the same, this is not going to be very pretty. I thank God for the men and women who continue to lay it all on the line daily for our country's continued security and those that respond in time of disaster but I fear that given the current political climate that exists all may not be bright for us.

I will continue to pray for all those who suffered in this tragedy for I know that prayer does change things and it also changes the one doing the praying. That can be a great miracle in itself.

Rant over--

scott023
04-16-2013, 12:51 PM
What a sad thing to have to deal with. If it's not one thing, it's another.

JimN
04-16-2013, 01:37 PM

It's not hard to make black powder, either. They'd have to ban a lot of things if they want everyone to be completely docile.

Sodar
04-17-2013, 02:17 PM
They are reporting that they've arrested a suspect.

east tx skier
04-17-2013, 03:04 PM
They are reporting that they've arrested a suspect.

News outlets (FOX/CNN) jumped the gun. No arrests yet.

Double D
04-17-2013, 03:11 PM
News outlets (FOX/CNN) jumped the gun. No arrests yet.

I think it was Associated Press that took the biggest leap. Fox kept saying they couldn't verify anything.

east tx skier
04-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Fox may now be saying that. But, earlier, Fox and CNN were all in based on whatever their respective sources were. Both have backpeddled tremendously from 29 minutes ago and have completely edited the stories to save face. Both are pitiful excuses for news outlets.

Suspect nabbed in Boston Marathon bombing
Fox News - ‎29 minutes ago‎
DEVELOPING: Investigators have arrested a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing after reviewing photos and video from Monday's event, a federal source confirmed to FoxNews.com. The suspect, who is expected to appear in federal court in Boston later ...

Now, it may be that there is someone in custody and the Feds don't want the media outlets blabbing about it so that they can grab the other suspect. Either way, the media outlets jumping the gun is a pet peeve of mine.

Ron Grover
04-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Too many news services more worried about being first than being right.

CantRepeat
04-17-2013, 04:24 PM
MOST ALL news services more worried about being first than being right.

Fixed and I totally agree!!

Double D
04-19-2013, 08:33 AM
WOW, if this is the younger guy. I was listening to Fox and this reporter was talking about being on the younger suspects Facebook page. So I search it out and got this:

See the post made 12 minutes before I looked at it....

Now it says it isn't him and he is getting spammed. So I took the image down. If it is the same kid I will post it back up.

jdl xstar
04-19-2013, 08:40 AM
That is a fake fb page.

captain planet
04-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Too many news services more worried about being first than being right.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-april-17-2013/the-most-busted-name-in-news

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-april-17-2013/the-most-busted-name-in-news---exclusive-and-first

Here is John Stewards take.....

93Prostar190
04-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Well since TeamTalk is a boater forum, I like that a boat owner found the suspect ........ A lot of relief on the East Coast, I wish them a better night sleep tonight.

My prayers for anyone involved.....

CantRepeat
04-19-2013, 09:49 PM
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-april-17-2013/the-most-busted-name-in-news

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-april-17-2013/the-most-busted-name-in-news---exclusive-and-first

Here is John Stewards take.....

You know what dude, you are complete and total moron. How in the hell can you post some stupid crap like this when people are being attack in your country? There are hundreds of Americans that have been injured from these attacks and at least 3 KIA.

You post up some lame *** comedy crap when people are dying in these attacks? It just goes to prove that you have lost your mind and have no grasp of what life really means.

east tx skier
04-19-2013, 10:50 PM
I have to say that it would have been great if they had backed an armored SWAT vehicle up to that boat and just towed it to the police station to book him in.

Glad they got him. Hope he rots in prison for the rest of his days.

DemolitionMan
04-19-2013, 11:10 PM
I have to say that it would have been great if they had backed an armored SWAT vehicle up to that boat and just towed it to the police station to book him in.

Glad they got him. Hope he rots in prison for the rest of his days.

I said the same thing to my wife. Bill O'reilly said it best, one is in custody and the other is in hell.

CantRepeat
04-20-2013, 08:20 AM
The got him and he is alive, which is great news.

Now I hope they torture him for good intelligence and we find out who is connected to them and go to that country, their house and kill them even if it means spending another billion dollars on war.

JimN
04-20-2013, 09:14 AM

Now I hope they torture him for good intelligence and we find out who is connected to them and go to that country, their house and kill them even if it means spending another billion dollars on war.

You mean "persuade him to reveal", don't you?

captain planet
04-21-2013, 12:27 PM

I was going to poing out to your last response to me that it was merely poking fun at CNN which is a sham of a news network and they need to be called out on it.......then I got to this post which shows how much out of touch you are with reality. Good intelligence out of torture is equivalent to getting a fine wine out of rotten grapes.

JimN
04-21-2013, 01:07 PM
You guys should take your pissing match somewhere else.

CantRepeat
04-21-2013, 01:34 PM
I was going to poing out to your last response to me that it was merely poking fun at CNN which is a sham of a news network and they need to be called out on it.......then I got to this post which shows how much out of touch you are with reality. Good intelligence out of torture is equivalent to getting a fine wine out of rotten grapes.

I'm sure you have a lot of real world experience in being tortured. :D

CantRepeat
04-21-2013, 01:47 PM

Come on Jim, it's not a pissing match at all. It's more like brothers fighting.

SkiDog
04-21-2013, 07:30 PM

You lead a sheltered life if you believe that. Come out of the closet man. You think being nice and respectful to him will get you the info we need?:twocents::huh::noface:

captain planet
04-22-2013, 01:00 PM

Your right.

TayMC197
04-22-2013, 01:24 PM
In times like this everyone needs a little humor to remind themselves everything can be okay.

The clips didn't knock the situation but only the media source with the bad info. I don't believe anyone on this forum takes the situation lightly.

I was happy to know that if you do a girl in the butt it doesn't count. Lol

captain planet
04-22-2013, 01:35 PM
In times like this everyone needs a little humor to remind themselves everything can be okay.

The clips didn't knock the situation but only the media source with the bad info. I don't believe anyone on this forum takes the situation lightly.

Thank you Tay for seeing the video for its intended purpose.

bbymgr
04-22-2013, 02:11 PM

Excellent points.