PDA

View Full Version : The Tampa Tristars

tfharrison
09-23-2005, 12:10 PM
How about starting a group in the Greater Tampa Bay area that's all about those great Tristar models?

I'm learning quick that MC owners rate their individual models with high regard, and the Tristar owners have much to be proud of.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tristar was:
The first open bow MC
The widest beam, at the time
The best wake, at the time
The platform by which MC created the Maristar

Lets get together online; and bring our boats to the Southern Reunion.

Rally 'round the Tri boys

Danimal
09-23-2005, 12:23 PM
I'd join if I were in Tampa. I really wish I had some vacation time left to get to the Southern Reunion.

Jim@BAWS
09-27-2005, 04:06 PM
Dan,
You come down I will pickup your reunion entry fees. I know it isn't alot but it is a start. Call in sick on Thurs 21 hours from Jainsville WI. You can ski while you are down here. You would definitly win "LONGEST DISTANCE TRAVELED"

Danimal
09-27-2005, 04:15 PM
Dan,
You come down I will pickup your reunion entry fees. I know it isn't alot but it is a start. Call in sick on Thurs 21 hours from Gainsville. You can ski while you are down here. You would definitly win "LONGEST DISTANCE TRAVELED"

Thank you very much for the offer, Jim! It is greatly appreciated. I'm afraid that I will have to decline, though. I have to travel in the complete opposite direction. I am heading up North that weekend to help my buddy take out all the piers at his resort in Sayner, WI on Plum Lake. I will definately look into next years reunion, though. That gives me a little time to plan. We were thinking about vacationing at Lake Cumberland for a week next summer... maybe we will just plan our week around the reunion. The kids would love it!

btw... what is the prize for the long distant attendee??

Thanks again Jim.

H20skeefreek
09-27-2005, 05:32 PM
How about starting a group in the Greater Tampa Bay area that's all about those great Tristar models?

I'm learning quick that MC owners rate their individual models with high regard, and the Tristar owners have much to be proud of.

The first open bow MC

all true except for best wake, that would have to go to the ProStar, sorry.

tfharrison
09-28-2005, 09:47 PM
all true except for best wake, that would have to go to the ProStar, sorry.

That depends on what kind of wake you want.

Did the 1990 Prostar give a good wake or was it designed for slalom?

H20skeefreek
09-28-2005, 10:16 PM
oh, you are a boarder. So the best wake for you, is the worst for me. the Prostar was def. designed for slalom/trick/jump as wakeboarding hadn't even been invented yet.

RickDV
09-28-2005, 10:35 PM
That depends on what kind of wake you want.

Did the 1990 Prostar give a good wake or was it designed for slalom?

IMHO the 1990 PS190 has a better all-around wake than a TS190 of that time.

I have a 1990 PS190 and my brother has a 1989 TS190. We ski together a bunch and I have skied behind both of them. I prefer the PS190 wake for slalom, wakeboard, and barefoot more so than the TriStar.

Oh, my brother may not agree with me, but what are brothers for anyway? ;)

lakes Rick
09-29-2005, 12:27 AM

The first open bow MC

What fairy tale book did you get this out of ???

erkoehler
09-29-2005, 12:49 AM
Sayner, Plum lake WOW it is going to be CHILLY up there. Good luck getting those piers out. They have a chance for freezing rain/snow mix late this week. BBBBRRRRRRR!!!!!

Danimal
09-29-2005, 07:16 AM
Sayner, Plum lake WOW it is going to be CHILLY up there. Good luck getting those piers out. They have a chance for freezing rain/snow mix late this week. BBBBRRRRRRR!!!!!

I know... I'm really not looking forward to it. My buddy said I can have a free 4 day weekend at the resort for helping him plus I might go deer hunting up there with him this year and my helping him will cover my lodging.

Still gonna be cold though :eek:

mitch
09-29-2005, 08:16 AM
What fairy tale book did you get this out of ???

Rick, I've been waiting for you to chime in on this thread :D What the he^^ took you so long

lakes Rick
09-29-2005, 04:26 PM
Rick, I've been waiting for you to chime in on this thread :D What the he^^ took you so long

I have been trying to be a kinder, gentler person... I guess I have failed again....

Tristar= discontinued model......

Danimal
09-29-2005, 04:35 PM
Tristar= discontinued model......

It's still a nice boat for all around water skiiing. I love the wider beam of this boat for my family. No one in my family or circle of friends is going to notice a bump in the wake at 28off. The used TriStars are reasonably priced and a great boat... Remember, It's still a MasterCraft.

lakes Rick
09-29-2005, 04:49 PM
It's still a nice boat for all around water skiiing. I love the wider beam of this boat for my family. No one in my family or circle of friends is going to notice a bump in the wake at 28off. The used TriStars are reasonably priced and a great boat... Remember, It's still a MasterCraft.

Danimal, your points are true and well taken.....

But to label the TriStar as as the Prerunner to the Maristar, with the best wake etc, is going a little too far......

Danimal
09-29-2005, 05:08 PM
Danimal, your points are true and well taken.....

But to label the TriStar as as the Prerunner to the Maristar, with the best wake etc, is going a little too far......

You're right, I don't believe that it has the best wake of all MC's. But, there are some styling cues that you can see on the MariStar that could have possibly come from the TriStar. Isn't the MariStar a very upscale run about (for lack of a better term)? I don't believe that MasterCraft has ever sold the MariStar as a competition ski boat or have they?(I don't know) And I do believe that the TriStar model came out before a MariStar, so I can see where tfharrison was going with his comments.

tfharrison
09-29-2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks Danimal for defending my honor, I was at the Tampa boat show today with alot of people that seem to know alot about the history of Mastercraft, they agreed that the Tristar was a first attempt at building a family oriented all purpose boat. the Maristar took that role and has successfully built larger, saltwater, VectorDrive and alot of innovations that the purists may not have accepted.

The X-80 has gone back to the Tristar styling que with the intregal swim platform.

Hey, I'm a new owner of an old "discontinued model" of what we all agree is the best inboard watersport boat in the USA.

I can't afford the new big $ boats, so excuse me for taking pride in what has been an important investment for a father of 5. Our 6 year old thinks the wake is great for his kneeboard. The 9 year old was stoked to get Zane Schwenk's autograph. The 12 year old gets alot bigger air than the old 80hp outboard. The 14 year old is learning the importance of investing in quality. The 20 year old gets to stay in college.

And most important, the Queen looks great slaloming behind it.

I don't know what Rick will be doing this winter, but we'll be pulling into our driveway and running back to the dock to play with our discontinued model.

H20skeefreek
09-30-2005, 05:20 AM
Tfharrison, just to clarify, i'm not saying that the tristar is a bad boat at all. As a matter of fact, before I bought the boat I have now, I had taken out a loan on a tristar, the guy I was going to buy it from backed out at the last minute. I was just saying that it was a little off to say that the tristar had the best wake of the time, as that would clearly go to the prostar, wich had a sole purpose of having a good slalom wake.

The tristar did have a few other design flaws, such as the front gas tank which caused it to be nose heavy, but all of our boats have improvements that could be made. My boat has ZERO storage, but throws a great wake, but has too much shortline spray.

You've got a great boat, it's a MasterCraft.

tfharrison
09-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Tfharrison, just to clarify, i'm not saying that the tristar is a bad boat at all.
You've got a great boat, it's a MasterCraft.

I understood that and I appreciate your comments. It was incorrect for me to use the statement "best wake of the time". That was not meant to refer to a slalom wake at all.

The Tristar 220 is the larger version with an overall length of 22' and width amidships was increased from 7'6" to a full 8'. Add a couple of big friends and a full tank of fuel (45 gal.) and you get a monster wake.

If no one thinks that in 1990 all the inboard boat manufacturers were aware of the fad that actually started in 1985 called skurfing, you're mistaken. There was also a marked decrease in the popularity of skiing.

I'm new to this forum and for that reason, I will apologize to anyone I might have offended, but I was a little miffed by the discontinued model comment. Some of my best toys have been discontinued models, like the 1985-6 Impala SS, the Chevy Suburban, and beta.

lakes Rick
09-30-2005, 10:57 AM
I would like to make it clear that you are very welcome on this site and that NO ONE is trying to make you uncomfortable here.. But there are alot of people on here with ALOT of knowledge about MC boats, so be careful of what you say if you cannot support it with facts....

My boat is a 94 and I cannot afford a new boat either...

I purchased a 91, 190 TriStar NEW from the local dealer, so I am VERY aware of the TriStar and its Unique characteristics..

I was never so glad to see it leave behind someone else's Tow vehicle than anything else I have ever gotten rid of.. (Well except the EX!!!!!) Again this is MY OPINION......

Being new on here you need to understand that I am the resident TriStar basher...... Welcome aboard.......

AirJunky
09-30-2005, 11:15 AM
I think there are a few others who are not peeing in your wheaties in this thread too. I for one passed on the Tristar after knowing 2 other people who owned the boat. They are MC so the quality is certainly there. But they had some shortcomings, which may have led to their being discontinued. But hey, if it works for you, more power to ya. Just keep it real.

tfharrison
09-30-2005, 09:52 PM
Ok, enough of that negative vibe stuff. This thread was about local Tristar owners in the Tampa, Fl area. If your not one, then what happens here is no concern to you.

I've had bad experiences with stuff too, but I'm more interested in the good experiences of meeting and talking with my fellow Tristar owners.

I met a guy this week that just got a TS190 and I invited him to join this thread.

How would it look to have disgruntled past owners feeling it necessary to pee in anyone's Wheaties?

mitch
09-30-2005, 10:35 PM
Rick's is the resident Tristar basher, but it's all in good fun. Actually he was pretty gentle ;) You'll be happy in that boat. I had a 89 TS190 and we loved it. It was an excellent 1st boat, and we put about 500 trouble free hours on her. I still miss that boat sometimes. Cheers!

stevo137
10-01-2005, 10:28 AM
No worries! We had a lot of fun in ours!
Not good in rough water over 20 mph. I pulled a few boarders and they really liked the wake at 15-20 mph.
Was a good solid boat that ran great and you shouldn't lose any money on it when you buy another boat as long as you maintain it well.
Oh, I almost forgot, here's another "good memory" on the Tristar... ;)
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=100

whitedog
10-01-2005, 03:45 PM
tfharrison: just enjoy your boat and disreguard what Rick says. I could do the same thing on the Sea Ray forum (bad boat = bad feelings). I own a tristrar 190 and for the money I spent on it I could not be happier. We do not run a course so the salom wake is of less importance than overall performance. Btw some of the footers on out team prefer the wake to the Responce LXI and the Responce LX without the barefoot plate. Those boats run a 400 HP engine and only do about 8mph faster than my 88. (cost 30000.00 more also) I should know, I drive them weekly. Have fun and don't get discouraged. Lots of good people on the foram.

tfharrison
10-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Its all good. My neigbor on the lake came by to ask if his 12 year old daughter can go wakeboarding with us because the wake is so much better than his ski nautique. So its off we go.

It looks like two more Tristars are going to the reunion. We should have good representation.

RickDV
10-01-2005, 09:33 PM
For the record and to avoid confusion with Lakes Rick: RickDV has nothing against TriStars. My earlier post on this was a comment comparing the TS wake and the PS wake. I enjoy both boats a great deal.

H20skeefreek
10-01-2005, 11:59 PM
Its all good. My neigbor on the lake came by to ask if his 12 year old daughter can go wakeboarding with us because the wake is so much better than his ski nautique. So its off we go.

It looks like two more Tristars are going to the reunion. We should have good representation.
that may have been a dig. Is the SN set up for wakeboarding or skiing? One of the guys I ski with, I always tell him how awesome the wake on his 'bu is....for wakeboarding. After I ski, I always say, "that sucked, but it wasn't bad considering you had the Wedge down."

Get's a chuckle evertime.

tfharrison
10-03-2005, 10:35 PM
I talked to Jim@BAWS and he said he took a 1990 Tristar 220 walk-around in on trade.
Sounds like a good deal for someone looking for a great family boat. I'm sure that pics will follow.