PDA

View Full Version : evac bus explodes

milkmania
09-23-2005, 09:05 AM
Bus Carrying Evacuees Explodes; At Least 20 Dead

TV Station Reports 24 Deaths

POSTED: 7:06 am CDT September 23, 2005
UPDATED: 7:57 am CDT September 23, 2005
DALLAS -- As many as 20 nursing home patients were killed early Friday when a busload of elderly Hurricane Rita evacuees from the Houston caught fire then was rocked by a series of explosions on gridlocked Interstate 45, a Dallas County Sheriff's spokesman said.

The bus loaded with 43 passengers was engulfed with flames, causing a 17-mile backup on a freeway that was already heavily congested with evacuees from the Gulf Coast. "Deputies were unable to get everyone off the bus," spokesman Don Peritz said. "We believe it's gonna be closer to 20 fatalities."

A Dallas County Medical Examiner told KXAS-TV that they are expecting as many as 24 fatalities. By early Friday morning, the bus was reduced to a blackened, burned-out shell, surrounded by numerous police cars and ambulances. Peritz said it appears a mechanical problem aboard the bus caused a fire that reached oxygen tanks belonging to the elderly passengers.

SteveO
09-23-2005, 09:10 AM
That is horrible. Just when you think it couldn't get worse. Don't know about you, but I am ready for some good fall weather and the end of hurricane season and I have had it mild compared to many. I feel terrible for those that evacuated from NO to Houston and had to flee again.

erkoehler
09-23-2005, 02:26 PM
:cry:

Is hurricane season over yet.....

Workin' 4 Toys
09-23-2005, 03:07 PM
:cry:

Is hurricane season over yet.....
Another month.

jmyers
09-23-2005, 03:14 PM
I just talked to a buddy in just outside of Houston(finaly) he said it is like a war zone down there!! It took his wife 16 hours to get out, they are now home and are going to ride it out. He said the Houston airport was a mess alot of the TSA workers didn't show up for work which made security impossible! This hurricane S**T SUCKS. Go away hurricane's enough is enough for those poor people!!! :mad:

chathamsolutions
09-23-2005, 03:21 PM
What a tragedy.

Man, what a time NOT to be president of the US right now. Ugh.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-23-2005, 05:29 PM
I have a guitar buddy that lives in the Houston area and he said its just NUTS down there now. He said the traffic is like a log jam and the gas ran out along time ago. He said the cars are 60 to 80 deep at the gas stations waiting for fuel to get out. He is going to ride it out with his family.... I sure hope they are OK. :(

UMP

milkmania
09-23-2005, 05:34 PM
ya know, 20 gallon rationing probably wouldn't get you out of town with 10 plus hour traffic jams:(

erkoehler
09-24-2005, 01:10 AM
Your probably right. East TX said his family had an 11hour journey that should have taken 1hour.

east tx skier
09-24-2005, 01:58 AM
My Mom and Sister both filled up before they left. They filled up again in Palestine TX. They ran with no A/C and shutting down when traffic stopped. Sister was in a Lincoln Aviator (8 cyl), mom was in a Lexus LS 400 (8 cyl). By the time they turned off for Tyler, my sister had 1/4 tank left. My mom had 1/2 a tank or so. Both found gas (see above). As of today, you could only get supreme here. They both filled up again for the trip home (whenever that occurs).

I'm sure those who stayed to ride it out will be fine. It's not predicted that Houston will get much more than Cat 1 strength winds, which are rought to be sure, but not nearly what was anticipated yesterday when winds were 175 mph.

Hope all that stayed behind are okay.