PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use the Trailer Valet?

kevkan
04-10-2013, 11:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMQEIoKIuWM

This could be a pretty useful tool, but does it work?

nickespi
04-11-2013, 12:13 AM
Interesting...

russlars
04-11-2013, 12:48 AM
I saw this at the Seattle Boat Show and was very tempted to purchase one. It would be especially helpful for a tandem axle trailer. It was hooked up to a trailer there and worked like a charm.

Grant777
04-11-2013, 12:57 AM
Rear camera on my Toyota Tundra works like a charm.

PT 1999 ProStar
04-11-2013, 06:57 AM
Rear camera on my Toyota Tundra works like a charm.

Camera is the best! We have one on our Tahoe makes backing up to trailer easy!

medicmoose
04-11-2013, 07:09 AM
Innovative idea. We have a gravel driveway so I'd be curious how it works on a surface other than smooth pavement. For now, I'll stick with my camera.

jbkriss
04-11-2013, 11:13 AM
That would be cool (for me) just pull it out of the garage, start it up, and put it back.

pmkkdx
04-11-2013, 11:25 AM
interesting! I wonder how steep of an incline that would work on?

JRW160
04-11-2013, 12:06 PM
interesting! I wonder how steep of an incline that would work on?
Video says 30 degree incline

bsloop
04-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Decent looking. With 9" pneumatic tires it should handle most surfaces.
http://trailervalet.com/
One of my questions would be how smooth/reliable does the chain drive feel?

Demo video and narration is very slow and amateur. Spend $3,000; have someone script and shoot it.
EDIT - just viewed the video on their website http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88Y76SRa13s
Same script and video sequence but better narration was much smoother to view and shaved the presentation down from 3min to 2 min.

If you only had one trailer or had to move/maneuver it in a controlled manner I can see its value.
At $400, its not cheap and if you cant hit the ball in three looks you probably need more practice (or a backup camera).

Considering a good jack like Fulton F2 will set you back $150, an extra $250 may not be too bad vs dented bumpers, jumping in/out of truck and marriage counseling.

TOO-TALL
04-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Intresting idea. I took a old ski mirror mounted it on a round piece of alluminum mounted a magnet on the other end and vola.......stick it on the tounge and back up looking in the mirror.works good

BrooksfamX2
04-11-2013, 01:19 PM
It would be handy for hitching up, especially behind the motorhome, but I would use it more for putting the boat in and out of the garage. I push it by hand now. Especially when I just want to do some driveway boating/maintenance. Hooking to the PU and pulling it out 25' is a pain.

Put a drill motor on the crank handle stub and it would be perfect.........:rolleyes:

I had looked at PowerCasters, but they are $1000....

jdnsx
04-11-2013, 03:24 PM
I picture myself making an adapter for an 18 volt drill to run it up the driveway.

pmkkdx
04-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Video says 30 degree incline

wow!!! 30 degrees is a pretty steep incline! can that really be right???

kevkan
04-11-2013, 03:31 PM
I don't think I'd really consider purchasing one just to hook the trailer to the truck. I'm more interested in using it to move the boat around in the garage. I also like the built-in brake, so I wouldn't have to use wheel chocks to keep it from rolling in the garage.

2012X45
04-11-2013, 03:58 PM
I suggest that guy in the video just learn to back up straight. :D

...or buy a backup camera.

JohnE
04-11-2013, 04:08 PM
I don't think I'd really consider purchasing one just to hook the trailer to the truck. I'm more interested in using it to move the boat around in the garage. I also like the built-in brake, so I wouldn't have to use wheel chocks to keep it from rolling in the garage.

I agree, most of us don't have a problem hooking it up alone. The convenience of moving it around the garage or in and out of the garage may be worth the $400.

pmkkdx
04-11-2013, 04:09 PM
have to agree ... I usually am hooked on with boat, out of the garage and setting up the tower by the time my wife comes strolling out of the house wondering if I need help getting hooked on.

Putting the boat back in the garage is a whole different story due to our very sharp curved drive lined with trees and uphill!!!

GoneBoatN
04-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Given the hassle I have to get the boat in/out of the garage (I have to park at an angle in very close quarters), if it were to work for me it would be worth the $400.00 hands down. Converting it to power would be the cats meow!

tex
04-11-2013, 10:18 PM
I'll save $400 and use experience! California product?

BrooksfamX2
04-11-2013, 10:18 PM
I am considering it. I don't like the way it mounts to the trailer though. Big and clunky. I would make it fit where the tongue wheel is now..............hmmmmm.......

He should have mounting options.

sand2snow22
04-11-2013, 10:35 PM
How about a hot blonde who can suck the chrome off a 2" ball? :)

tex
04-11-2013, 11:47 PM
How about a hot blonde who can suck the chrome off a 2" ball? :)

Inga?

Trailer_Tyler
09-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Hi all!

I'm Tyler, a Trailer Valet Rep. I got the go ahead from Phil to post here. If you have any questions about our product or its use, do not hesitate to ask. We're trying to become part of the community and the only way we know how is to provide 100% satisfaction with our products. Our ears are open!

Thanks

Tyler

JMLVMI
04-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Thinking about taking the plunge on one of these. I had to move storage places, and now I'm in a 12x25 in between two buildings, and I can back it in fine but getting it out is a totally different matter. I would use this to walk it out of the garage and then turn it 90* so I can hitch it up. Also would be nice to have for when we get our new house to get it into the garage precisely.

Looks like the reviews are generally positive and the negative reviews don't really pertain to me (tandem trailers, people at the height of the weight limit, etc.). They have also changed their design and manufacturing processes to answer some of those early issues. They are down to $300 now, and a Fulton F2 is ~$150, so I figure it has to be worth the extra money in saved frustration :)

Dylan
04-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Looks really efficient for what it is, but if you have any distance to cover I would get a power-caster or power-mover. I picked mine up used for less than the valet. Turns my tandem no problem.

JMLVMI
04-08-2014, 10:43 AM
Looks really efficient for what it is, but if you have any distance to cover I would get a power-caster or power-mover.

Not really any distance at all, simply being able to walk it out of the garage and turn it. Was able to do it with the cheap Overton's trailer dolly but it was way overloaded and not safe. Just purchased, and I plan to do a little video on it for TT.

Sodar
04-08-2014, 10:44 AM
I agree with Dylan, plus the valet is a LARGE hunk hanging off the side of the trailer. A little too much function over form for my tastes.

shepherd
04-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Watching that guy bent over while cranking that thing across the road made my back sore just watching. Some way of extending the handle so you can do it standing up would help.

All new cars are going to come with backup cameras in a few years, so its usefulness for hooking up may be limited. But, it would be good for maneuvering around our tight garages.

JMLVMI
04-08-2014, 12:04 PM
All new cars are going to come with backup cameras in a few years, so its usefulness for hooking up may be limited. But, it would be good for maneuvering around our tight garages.

Yea I have no trouble backing up, it's simply maneuvering it around that looks appealing to me. My current jack is on it's last leg anyways so I'm hoping to kill two birds with one stone here.

I'll be sure to post my review here...will probably be biased since I spent my money on it and will have to validate my purchase...but for $300 to not have to live in fear of getting run over when pulling my boat with a cheap Overton's dolly may be worth it :cool:

JMLVMI
04-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Well they are sold out until late April... >:|

willg
04-15-2014, 08:02 PM
I got one of these cameras, works great. Plus I can use it with any trailer. Magnetic, wireless, battery operated, color with night vision (which actually works pretty well)

http://www.amazon.com/Swift-Hitch-SH01-Portable-Wireless/dp/B000ZEON90/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397606366&sr=8-1&keywords=swift+hitch

giantjoe
04-16-2014, 01:10 PM
So does it work well with a tandem axle trailer? My boat and trailer are only about #3500 lbs, but the tandem axles make it nearly impossible to maneuver in the garage.