PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet

PendO
09-22-2005, 11:22 PM
Do you have wireless internet?

Is it secured?

Can you access your neighbors wifi?

F'd up my first poll, option 2 should read that you "Have Tried but it is secure"

ski_king
09-22-2005, 11:34 PM
My neighbors don't have it.

I do and mine is secure. Daughter had a friend over doing homework and her friends laptop could see my network, but I couldn't get it logged on as I had a brain fart and forgot my password.

My network is probobly secure anyway as the closest house is 100 yards away.

milkmania
09-23-2005, 01:03 AM
option 5, too many hillbillies around here

Ryan
09-23-2005, 02:13 AM
Mine is secure. But, I can hop onto up to five (usually just 3) other WAN setups - all unlocked...:noface:

BriEOD
09-23-2005, 06:33 AM
I have it and have the MAC ID and encryption set up. A friend of mine did a paper on this for one of his MBA classes. He got in his truck and drove around neighborhoods to see how many unsercure networks their are. If they don't have the MAC ID set (you tell the router the IP addresses that can change settings) you can take over someone's network.

Leroy
09-23-2005, 08:17 AM
I don't have security and can see 2-3 neighbors that are also open. I've driven through the neighborhood with my laptop on and seems almost every house has WiFi and open still.

3event
09-23-2005, 08:28 AM
neighbor is actually secure - he has some goofy name for his network. since i havent taken the time to learn/step thru securing mine, i just disabled wireless and use hardwired - faster anyway. but soon i will add a new pc for the kids and will have to get it running. is it much work to set up?

my router is 802.11g and b at 54mbps. anyone using the newer faster standard? when i last looked the routers were 3x the price.....

3event
09-23-2005, 08:30 AM
one more story.... another reason i went wired for now, was that as soon as i enabled wireless, 2 PCs started acting up. slowing down, odd behavior, problems with page loads. i actually suspected i was already getting a visitor into my network. since i was no security expert i just went back to wired.

anyone have that experience???

SteveO
09-23-2005, 08:48 AM
54G with WEP. Have 4 networks that pop up when scan for wireless connections at home. 2 are secured and 2 are not. It is always fun when I am in a larger city hotel to see how many networks are out their. It always seems about half are unprotected.

Leroy
09-23-2005, 08:51 AM
I haven't been able to connect, but often on the plane you can find an Ad Hoc connection (someone's computer).

PendO
09-23-2005, 08:58 AM
for those who do not use the security settings, just be careful what others download from your IP, or email from your IP ... if you are worried about security you should check your log ... and if you are using someone elses unsecured you might want to clear the log every once in a while;)

I'm not so worried about the neighbors, but I would be concerned about the guy parking on the street and dowloading material that gets you sent to prision for, or sending malicious email threats.

I use the wireless print server, but have yet to set up the wireless equipment so that I can wirelessly do a slide show on the TV (wireless media adapter) ...

Its funny though, you are never really as anonymous as you think.

bcampbe7
09-23-2005, 10:22 AM
Have mine secure as best as my Belkin will allow me to...

I drove home the other day with my laptop on and using NetStumbler. I found about 20 access points. About 13 of them were unsecure. :eek:

6ballsisall
09-23-2005, 10:27 AM
We have it at our office. It's setup pretty slick. It doesn't broadcast a signal except to computers that have been setup to look for it with the right codes etc.... I tried one day with a laptop that wasn't setup. It doesn't even register that there is a signal.

tall_ andy
09-23-2005, 10:37 AM
My Parents neighbors in FL is unsecure so I use that when I visit cause they only have dial up. How about eavesdropping on bluetooth?? I've heard there are programs that allow you to listen in to bluetooth headsets. Not sure if its true, but would be interesting.

bcampbe7
09-23-2005, 10:42 AM
We have it at our office. It's setup pretty slick. It doesn't broadcast a signal except to computers that have been setup to look for it with the right codes etc.... I tried one day with a laptop that wasn't setup. It doesn't even register that there is a signal.

Access points can be set-up to not throw out there signal, however, when forced they are required to send it out. Not sure if this makes sense...

I am not sure if NetStumbler will do it, but Auditor running Kismet will. Download NetStumbler (it's free) and see what you can find.
NetStumbler (http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/)

You want the top one for laptops. Also, it may or may not recognize your Wi-Fi card.

bcampbe7
09-23-2005, 10:44 AM
My Parents neighbors in FL is unsecure so I use that when I visit cause they only have dial up. How about eavesdropping on bluetooth?? I've heard there are programs that allow you to listen in to bluetooth headsets. Not sure if its true, but would be interesting.

I could see this happenning. The only thing about Bluetooth, from what I understand, is that the signal is not that strong and you need to be fairly close (not sure of the distance) to pick-up the signal.

PendO
09-23-2005, 10:46 AM
Access points can be set-up to not throw out there signal, however, when forced they are required to send it out. Not sure if this makes sense...

I am not sure if NetStumbler will do it, but Auditor running Kismet will. Download NetStumbler (it's free) and see what you can find.
NetStumbler (http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/)

You want the top one for laptops. Also, it may or may not recognize your Wi-Fi card.

Like if you "ask" with the right software you will find the ID/Name of the network?

bcampbe7
09-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Like if you "ask" with the right software you will find the ID/Name of the network?

I am by no means an expert on Wi-Fi, but per standard, the AP must reply to probe requests. Some vendors do allow the administrator to disable this "feature" but for home use this rarely occurs.

Also, if you do disable this "feature" and your AP is not sending out the SSID and such, you as the user of the wireless network must still send out your request to join the network. The hacker, can get the SSID and any other information they so desire if they know what and how to look for.

For a free program, NetStumbler is a good one to try.

I would be curious to know if Jeff's company does this.

Disclaimer: As fas as I know getting onto someone's unsecure Wi-Fi is not illegal is most States. However, breaking the security is...

AirJunky
09-23-2005, 11:33 AM
Yea, thats the SS ID Broadcast. Most any wifi setup will allow you to enable/disable it. For the most part you want to keep it enabled till you have your own network setup, then disable it so your network ID is not broadcast. Then anyone who is trying to connect will have to know the name of your network to even begin to hack it.
Then enabling WEP will take it a step further. They will need to know your passphrase to get the key to actually connect to your network.

bcampbe7
09-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Yea, thats the SS ID Broadcast. Most any wifi setup will allow you to enable/disable it. For the most part you want to keep it enabled till you have your own network setup, then disable it so your network ID is not broadcast. Then anyone who is trying to connect will have to know the name of your network to even begin to hack it.
Then enabling WEP will take it a step further. They will need to know your passphrase to get the key to actually connect to your network.

We must have replied close to the same time... :)

"Most" AP's must reply to probe requests with a null SSID. I believe beacon requests are different. AP do not have to reply to beacon requests. But, as I mentioned in the previous post, some AP can be configured to not reply to probe request, but this is vendor specific.

RickDV
09-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Mine is secure. But, I can hop onto up to five (usually just 3) other WAN setups - all unlocked...:noface:

Same here. Several neighbors with unsecure networks. Mine is locked tight. Besides, I get better reception and speed out of my own anyway.

If you are running an unsecure wireless network, odds are you're hacked and don't even know it.

Lance
09-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Mine is secure and no I can't see (nor connect of course) to any neighbors. The only use for ours is my wife's work computer. All the rest of our computers are wired and behind a separate firewall.

When we moved to our new house (about 2 years ago) DSL wasn't available due to distance and the cable company was temporarily not accepting new customers while they were upgrading to digital so we had to go about 6 months without broadband. I tried to find a neighbor that had had it before the black-out window but was unable. That was a painful 6 months. In my view the internet is more important than either cable or phone service!

X-45
09-24-2005, 05:10 PM
Mine is secure. I don't know why but my internet will double in speed with it secure. I don't think I have any neighbors close enough to steel my signal.

:popcorn:

east tx skier
09-24-2005, 06:30 PM
Ours is secure and so is our neighbor's. I wouldn't do it because you can potentially go to jail for that stuff and it's like robbing a bank and filming it.

jimmer2880
09-25-2005, 07:04 PM
I voted no, have not tried - but my neighbors are at a minimum 1 acre away. Sorry - wifi doesn't work that far.

PendO
09-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Ours is secure and so is our neighbor's. I wouldn't do it because you can potentially go to jail for that stuff and it's like robbing a bank and filming it.

Ah yes, unless you use the default password and clear the log;) But food for thought, didn't they trace music/vidoe downloads to IP addresses (not MAC addresses) so it would be a good legal defense ... it wasn't me, must have been someone pirating my WiFi;)

bcampbe7
09-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Ah yes, unless you use the default password and clear the log;) But food for thought, didn't they trace music/vidoe downloads to IP addresses (not MAC addresses) so it would be a good legal defense ... it wasn't me, must have been someone pirating my WiFi;)

I believe you are still responsible for the security of your home network though. I think you would still be held liable. ICBW

AirJunky
09-26-2005, 02:40 PM
I voted no, have not tried - but my neighbors are at a minimum 1 acre away. Sorry - wifi doesn't work that far.
Hmmmmm, not sure why it wouldn't. I installed a camera on our beach with an antennea on top of a power pole. It's being picked up by an FTP server about 3 blocks away.

PendO
09-26-2005, 02:46 PM
I believe you are still responsible for the security of your home network though. I think you would still be held liable. ICBW

Yeah, I'm not sure either, but our city has a hot zone downtown where anybody can get online and use their WiFi ... I have never used it, anybody else live in a city that has free WiFi, is it just plug and play easy?

jimmer2880
09-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Hmmmmm, not sure why it wouldn't. I installed a camera on our beach with an antennea on top of a power pole. It's being picked up by an FTP server about 3 blocks away.

hmm... I thought distance was only 100 meters. I just looked. Rated distance is 100m indors & 400 outdoors. So - I guess you can be using it 3 blocks away. It would be interesting if I could go through external walls from 400' away. It probably would. I stand corrected. :worthy:

AirJunky
09-27-2005, 11:06 AM
hmm... I thought distance was only 100 meters. I just looked. Rated distance is 100m indors & 400 outdoors. So - I guess you can be using it 3 blocks away. It would be interesting if I could go through external walls from 400' away. It probably would. I stand corrected. :worthy:
I think part of that limitation is in the cheazy little antennea they put on the back of most WAP & wireless cards. I installed an external antennea & the range improved dramatically.
On my WAP at home, I made two little parabolic collectors from a Coke can. Installed them over the antennea & I swear I was able to improve my range in one direction by 1000%.

PendO
09-27-2005, 11:12 AM
I think part of that limitation is in the cheazy little antennea they put on the back of most WAP & wireless cards. I installed an external antennea & the range improved dramatically.
On my WAP at home, I made two little parabolic collectors from a Coke can. Installed them over the antennea & I swear I was able to improve my range in one direction by 1000%.

Bill, can you post a picture of that. TIA

bcampbe7
09-27-2005, 12:39 PM
I believe they are referred to as "cantenae's"
http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/has.html
At the bottom of the page is a how to link.

AirJunky
09-27-2005, 01:06 PM
You got the idea, bcampe, although mine are shaped a bit different. I'll have to take another picture of it & post it later.
It's funny, they are the cheeziest looking things you ever saw, but I swear it works. I had my router on the 2nd floor of my condo towards one end. I was unable to get any reception on the laptop 100' away on the first floor. After the cantennaes my signal strength was over 70%!
I'll get some pics for ya later, Casey.

AirJunky
09-29-2005, 02:06 AM
Bill, can you post a picture of that. TIA
Here ya go, Casey...... a homemade cantennae. I haven't been using it recently but it works like a charm. It doesn't increase the signal at all, but focuses it into a narrower range so that it goes further in that one direction.