PDA

View Full Version : Almost afraid to ask but....

richardsoncd
09-22-2005, 05:52 PM
Last weekend, I throttled the boat (79 S&S) down too hard and it felt like the transmission spun....later I was making a U-turn (very sharp...power turnish) and it felt like I did it again when I turned very sharp. After running it a little more and not "goosing it" and making your average long turns and starts it never did it again. Is this normal or a prelude to an expensive problem? :eek:

rodltg2
09-22-2005, 06:05 PM
not normal.you could be low on fluid. other than that i dont know how much or what it will take to fix.

AirJunky
09-22-2005, 06:06 PM
You sure it wasn't the prop cavitating? I've seen some inboards do that in a hard turn.
Hopefully thats all it was.

richardsoncd
09-22-2005, 06:13 PM
What is prop cavitating. When pulling a skier out of the water, even a 250 pounder and running her normal she has no problems at all, it is when I put extreme stress on it in a turn or nailing the throttle down, such as racing out of a no wake zone.

Cloaked
09-22-2005, 06:17 PM
What is prop cavitating. When pulling a skier out of the water, even a 250 pounder and running her normal she has no problems at all, it is when I put extreme stress on it in a turn or nailing the throttle down, such as racing out of a no wake zone.You shouldn't be racing out of no wake zones. That's yEr problem. These boats know those thAngs.... :D

Sounds like your tranny has developed a slip. I'd be leery of using it much before I had it looked at or repaired. There's a post here of recent where someone shipped their tranny out, had it rebuilt (not uncommon for a well used 79 model) and is happy with the job and the price.

Cavitation is where water is extraced from the prop by means of the hull or another entity. Not likely for an inboard in my opinion. I drive a boat hard and have rarely cavitated.

richardsoncd
09-22-2005, 06:29 PM
You shouldn't be racing out of no wake zones. That's yEr problem. These boats know those thAngs.... :D

Sounds like your tranny has developed a slip. I'd be leery of using it much before I had it looked at or repaired. There's a post here of recent where someone shipped their tranny out, had it rebuilt (not uncommon for a well used 79 model) and is happy with the job and the price.

Cavitation is where water is extraced from the prop by means of the hull or another entity. Not likely for an inboard in my opinion. I drive a boat hard and have rarely cavitated.
Every now and then I regress from a 20 something year old to a 15 year old with a V8...it happens.

I think from what I gather on other links I searched that it was a cavitation...but I am going to give it a once over just in case, such as the fluid, etc. It still pulls a skier nice...easy up out of the water, so I think I will finish the season regardless :toast: ...waste not want not :dance: when it comes to ski seasons

AirJunky
09-22-2005, 06:33 PM
What is prop cavitating. When pulling a skier out of the water, even a 250 pounder and running her normal she has no problems at all, it is when I put extreme stress on it in a turn or nailing the throttle down, such as racing out of a no wake zone.
Prop cavitation is when air gets in the prop so it spins up. You can literally hear the engine RPMs climb. I've never driven a boat this old so I'm not sure how they do, but any of the 80s or 90s Prostars will cavitate in a hard turn. We've had it happen driving an Around the Boat behind an 88 PS190, a 96 PS190, a 94 PS205 & a 96 MS210. It was pretty easy to force it to happen with my old 3 blade nibral prop & doesn't happen nearly as easily with my 4 blade stainless.

It shouldn't be a problem accelerating out of the hole so maybe it's not the issue. But if the boat has been repropped or has some nicks or dings in the prop, maybe it could be happening. A skier will usually tend to pull the stern down & the prop deeper in the water, lessening the likelihood of it happening.

richardsoncd
09-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Yeah, it doesn't do it with a skier behind her. The boat is very very light, no back seat etc. a pure slalom set up. I probably could use a new prop as I think mine is original. One day I'll anne-up and buy a newer MC but this is my first boat and I love her. Thanks for the info Air-Junky

Cloaked
09-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Every now and then I regress from a 20 something year old to a 15 year old with a V8...it happens.

I think from what I gather on other links I searched that it was a cavitation...but I am going to give it a once over just in case, such as the fluid, etc. It still pulls a skier nice...easy up out of the water, so I think I will finish the season regardless :toast: ...waste not want not :dance: when it comes to ski seasonsI'd say that is a fair thAng.. If it slips in a hard pull, it should also slip otherwise. After my anal analysis and thinking, you may very well be cavitating.

Is your boat a 240 HP motor with the powerslot config in the hull?

stumbledog
09-23-2005, 04:40 AM
I have gotten quotes in the neighborhood of $600 to rebuild my 1.52:1.0(powerslot) Velvet Drive Transmission. Just some info to work with. A 1.0:1.0 ratio tranny is much easier to rebuild.

richardsoncd
09-23-2005, 08:34 AM
I have gotten quotes in the neighborhood of $600 to rebuild my 1.52:1.0(powerslot) Velvet Drive Transmission. Just some info to work with. A 1.0:1.0 ratio tranny is much easier to rebuild.
right on...that's less than I thought. I haven't had the problem when I drive her like a normal person would, I am gonna keep on truckin' unless she won't let me. As for the powerslot, etc. I have no idea what I'm working with...I have only had it for 2 months, the previous owner didn't have a lot of info except I drove the *&%$ out of it and it ran great (it still runs great). How would I find out what kind of setup I have? :confused:

tommcat
09-23-2005, 09:37 AM
my buddies brendella just had the same concern. started out with an occasional slip and ended up with us swimming it back to dock. tranny blew up, repaired for 1200 bucks.

richardsoncd
09-23-2005, 04:22 PM
how much was it slipping, was it under normal use? I have to really work hard to get mine to slip and it was just twice. What year Brendella?

erkoehler
09-24-2005, 03:34 PM
i'd check the fluid and then run it hard again. If it continues, have it looked at.

Ric
11-30-2005, 06:22 PM
Last weekend, I throttled the boat (79 S&S) down too hard and it felt like the transmission spun....later I was making a U-turn (very sharp...power turnish) and it felt like I did it again when I turned very sharp. After running it a little more and not "goosing it" and making your average long turns and starts it never did it again. Is this normal or a prelude to an expensive problem? :eek:
were you doing this????????

jayderwin1
11-30-2005, 07:46 PM
Killer Pic Ric, is that from a power slide?

flyinryn
11-30-2005, 08:38 PM

Rich
This was happening on my 92 190 three years ago right after I bought it. I was pretty freaked out and of course everyone that I talk to said that it sounds like the tranny needs to be rebuilt.

I thought that I might take a chance and change the oil in the tranny since I had no idea the last time that it had been changed. As soon as I change the oil and filled it to its proper level all my problems went away.

I believe the problem is that when you accelerate or make sharp turns all the oil is thrown to one side or another which is causing the slipping noise that you hear.

I would start with that then go to the tranny rebuild. :twocents:

RYAN

Ric
12-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Killer Pic Ric, is that from a power slide?
heh I dont know, I ripped it off from the nicholls site.
Looks like a Japanese boat sinking contest like those contests on spiketv.

Kevin 89MC
12-01-2005, 04:07 PM
I did have a "slipping" in my '89 PS a long time ago, it would happen on sharp turns. Felt like it was popping into neutral for a second. I didn't think it was cavitation. Turns out the trans was leaking fluid where the shift linkage entered the trans housing. It had leaked just enough to starve the clutch packs of oil on tight turns. Had the dealer put in new clutch packs, no probs sense. :steering:
Good luck,
Kevin