PDA

View Full Version : '90 MasterCraft Trailer Prop Guard

Tristarboarder
04-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Afternoon,

As part of my ongoing trailer rehab project, I decided to remove the steel supports that form the prop guard. They have been bent to h%ll ever since I purchased the boat/trailer. I assume that they SHOULD be straight. Just curious if they are supposed to be perfectly straight with the obvious 90 degree bends at the attach points. My plan is to take them to a local metal fab shop and have them heat them up and pound them back straight to the correct form. Any ideas on the original guard setup? Anyone have rear pics of the prop guard for either an early 90's Tristar or Prostar trailer? Thanks. Here are some pics of my mangled and bent steel...

d2jp
04-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Mine had a similar bend, but finding a shop to heat/bend them became a big challenge. Driving around town, I spotted a construction crew leaning on shovels (imagine that) and a back hoe parked next to them. For $15, they used the bucket to bend my prop guard back straight.

clrussell
04-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Mine is completely different than yours and is a 1990 prostar 190 on factory trailer. I would guess they should be straight with a 90 on the end up bolt up. Any metal shop should be able to do that 90, put in vise, heat with torch, bend to 90 let cool.

Here's a couple pics of mine 92585

Tapatalk

mikeg205
04-07-2013, 10:08 PM
ouch - what happened to the prop - what did you hit.. :(

clrussell
04-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Don't know :( it's going to the prop shop before I get it in the water this year.. Bad thing is its a brand new oj 4 blade with about 10 hours on it

Tapatalk

mikeg205
04-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Don't know :( it's going to the prop shop before I get it in the water this year.. Bad thing is its a brand new oj 4 blade with about 10 hours on it

Tapatalk

Ouch... :(

clrussell
04-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Yep... Gonna try to get it off next week and sent back to oj

Tapatalk

Tristarboarder
04-08-2013, 01:02 AM
Thank you for the pics and the info. I will follow up with progress..

Tristarboarder
04-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Does anyone else have the flat steel type guard setup like mine, as opposed to the square tube style? Looking for some pics of one that isn't all beat like mine...

MikeyOrange88
04-08-2013, 08:54 PM
I have the same on my '88 Tristar trailer (built by SMP). The rear flat bar (with the tabs on each end) is supposed to be flat and level. The two longer bars are bolted to it and start out level and then angle up and bolt to the curved cross channel. A couple of pics attached that I shot from the port side as it is wedged into the garage. That side was bent when I bought it 15 years ago. On mine, the rear two bolts rub just a bit on the driveway and get ground down. I've replaced a couple times. After seeing how bent yours was, I was thinking mine was made from thicker material, but it is not. It is quarter-inch flat bars. ;) Hope that is what your after.

Tristarboarder
04-09-2013, 12:23 AM
Thanks Mikey O! Appreciate it, that gives me even more guidance, especially with similar style steel.
Next stop, metal fab shop...