PDA

View Full Version : X-9 needing a little TLC

FlyHighorDie
04-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Found this boat in Northern California. I was expecting a much cleaner boat but after driving 19 hours to get it. This is what I encountered. After stepping on the dock after sleeping only 2hrs that night my eyes started glowing with anticipation to jump in this machine and throw the hammer down and start doing some power turns. I was hoping to scare the crap out of the seller!!LOL That wasn't my case. I did throw the hammer down and boat sputtered and puked, and Was was like oh crap and the seller had the same look. So we went back to the shore station and I started looking it over and determined that maybe this is either a compression issue or needs a tuneup. So after close inspection, I saw that 2 of the plugs were fowling and extremely rusty. We ran up to the parts store and grabbed cap rotor, plugs and MC D's. I was starving. So i scarfed the burger and ran on the dock and pulled the plug back out and low and behold wrong plugs. Forgot to mention that it was 9:00P.M and the store closes at ? Yah 9:00pm. So I ended staying the Night In the seller B&B. I woke up at 5:00 am and headed to the dock and started replacing cable and testing the compression as I swapped each one. So the store opened at 7:30 and we got new plugs and I was in Business again. Put new gas in the boat and additive. It then started raining so hard you couldn't see anything on the lake but who cares. Lets go. The boat started right up and Idled it out to a safe place and yes you guessed it. I warmed it up pretty good before starting the abuse I intended for the test drive. Great out of the hole and seemed quite fast but now steering on a dime. Cable is shot and no speedos. Ok not a deal breaker. I rode the boat around the lake for an hour and not a hiccup from the motor. I was grinning ear to ear in relief. BTW I was able to throw the caretaker around in the boat even with the crap cable. "I love these boats" even an IO can't compare with Power steering! Went back to the dock and deal was sealed lets get the trailer. I grabbed my truck got the trailer hooked-up ran it down to the loading ramp and we spent 20 min trying to get the boat on the trailer. My neck was hurting form watching the seller trying to trailer it. The caretaker got soaked form falling in the lake trying to help.LMAO So I got out of the truck and asked if they would like me to put it on and said its pretty easy. So he let me drive and I had it locked in .2 seconds. Pulled the boat out of the water. Took her back to sellers house and packed up. Then off to the bank and DMV. After purchasing then down the road I go. First stop gas station. Then I realized Brother said check the wheels to see if they are getting hot these trailers are known to have issues. Sure nuff 2 were pretty warm. I did a little inspection and ran it down the road a few miles. ohno!! They were boiling the grease in the hub. So I did a few more things not knowing what to change, so I ended up taking it back to town and parked in front of the parts store and pulled my blocks out and pulled the trailer up on one wheel and a time and proceeded to pull the brake pads, after an hour of prying each caliper and pulling pads and putting wheels back on I was set. No more hot wheels. After a while pulled over to see if the pistons were moving inside the calipers, which they were not. Ok off to home.

Rossterman
04-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Was this the boat up at clear lake i saw on craigslist?

f925
Welcome to the boards, and Congrats on your new purchase! Sounds like only chapter 1 of an adventure. How is everything else on the boat at first glance?

gotta_ski
That is a crime that this boat was so neglected. The PO deserves to be beaten with foam bats until he repents and promises to quit abusing hand-built ski boats.

LYNRDSKYNRD
04-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Congrats! IMO the X9/209 is one of the sexiest looking boats MC has ever made. Great story too thanks for sharing.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

ricford
04-04-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm assuming you got a great deal on it. Looks like a good find. Hope you don't find too many more problems.

Ski-me
04-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Looks like you've got some good bones there so in the end, it will be great. I assume a good deal, too?!? Especially after all the work you did to get it running......

Nice color, nice ND tower, dual axle trailer..... :)

FlyHighorDie
04-05-2013, 11:51 AM
After I got the boat back The hull got a thorough cleaning and a round of buffing. Used a 8' wool pad. I started with Maguires Heavy Cut but it didn't cut so fast and I went to 3m heavy duty which ripped through it in half the time. It took about 5 hours for round one. Here are some photo of what happens if a boat just sits in water. My brother has a heavy duty steam cleaner and it would touch this stuff and then I bought another something Slime not sure the name it worked barely. Then I saw somewhere toilet bowl cleaner. Amazing and I did two round with that.

Boat came from Clear Water. Not so Clear

mzimme
04-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Nice work... the X9 will be my next boat. Hopefully exactly like that one :) What year is it?

CC2MC
04-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Nice work, and a ton of it too. Random, but is the thru hull on the bottom bent?

snork
04-05-2013, 12:51 PM
'03 judging by the board racks

chunter
04-05-2013, 01:36 PM
looks good, so what did you use the toilet cleaner for?

mzimme
04-05-2013, 01:47 PM
looks good, so what did you use the toilet cleaner for?

I'm guessing the stains on the hull from sitting in the water all the time.

Double D
04-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Great story and looks like the boat has a great new owner and home.

Nice house. Thats who owned it? Explain the Owner vs Caretaker.

02ProstarSammyD
04-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Great job. Mine was in very similar shape. Labors of love

FlyHighorDie
04-05-2013, 03:25 PM
The owner of the B&B. Nice Guy. The boat is straight and no dings on the side and the hull has a few scratch but nothing serious.
The thru hull on the bottom is not bent, just the angle of the photo.
The bowl cleaner took the muck off the bottom with relative ease and a little getting shiznit on ya. Someone in another thread don't use anything with bleach or something like that. Not sure the reason. If you look at the fins you can see the difference.
So got the steering cable swapped out. I tied a rope to after I pulled the engine cover and back hatch over the drive shaft. Raked my knuckles pretty good but its beats a $125 an hour at the dealer plus their $180 for the cable. I paid $115 to my door step. So the new one looks exactly the same but no goo. I used black tape and taped the whole end very well so that Didn't nick the shaft that moves in and out the the cable, the fiberglass is good at nicking and scratching so be careful!!Once I had in tape I had the cable stretched the length of the boat. I didn't what to kink or force this though. It went though very easily except at the beginning where it needed to drop through the hole next to the ski locker but with a little finesse it went through. Only a couple hour to do the whole process. Then once I got it through everything got greased and new bolts. The old bolts had a lot of wear from not being tight. they were very sloppy. Also added a bushing in the read on the rudder where the cable attaches to the weird connector. Sorry no pics. If you do a DIY inspect that. I am positive their should be much play and should turn smoothly. After install, I can turn my wheel with one finger.
This is an '03 X-9
Next this is fixing the wire ends on the speedo. I see the wires are rotted out. not sure if and cut and splice or try and replace connectors. Don't know if they are used with Perfect Pass which I don't have.

bturner2
04-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Interesting PVC shutoff valve. Not to criticize that installation but I would take a second look at that. Someone correctly me if I'm wrong but I doubt that is MC stock and would be concerned that it could split, crack, or break. It if does let loose you're sunk, literally. I would expect a through hull to be bronze or at a minimum to be nylon. Then again this could be stock and I could be completely wrong.

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-06-2013, 08:36 AM
Interesting PVC shutoff valve... Someone correctly me if I'm wrong but I doubt that is MC stock...

Our former '02 X10 had PVC shutoff stock from MC. When I did my own install, I went metal up to shutoff (also metal) and then PVC from there.

BriEOD
04-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Cool story...good luck with the restoration.

Yellow X9
04-06-2013, 09:51 AM
Great boat- I have an 05 X9- Some TLC and you'll have it looking great in no time

FlyHighorDie
04-22-2013, 12:33 PM
I decided to start the repair on my speedo but wasn't sure what the issue was. I did find one issue right away and it was that one of the wires had corroded off. The reason is the the connector sits at or below the bilge pump. I figured I would try fixing the connector and remove the pins but it was a challenge getting them back in. So my next option was replacing the connector or just solder all the wires together. I did find a connector at auto zone to use. It was for a Silverado 2002. Part Number: 3696-07041012. It doesn't fit perfect I had to flip it over opposite of the locks. After getting it all soldered I decided to take it to the lake for a test drive and fist time out in Montana. It didn't work so I thought wiring was wrong but had two option between the unshielded wire and the white one. I thought the Unshielded was the wire for sure and it was. The white goes to nothing!! So next step was testing the paddle wheel itself. Uploaded the test in the photo if you need the file I can post it. I found it on teamtalk because some people are so cool to post Diagnostic procedures. After testing I determined that the paddlewheel was bad and ordered a new one. It arrived and hooked it up and turned key on and and spun the wheel with my finger and low and behold a had speedos. I confirmed all and continued to button it up but this time sealing my wiring with a first layer of blacktape and then a tar like tape we use for sealing the connectors on coax for microwave radios. Then more black tape. Sorry no pics

46Chief
06-24-2013, 05:38 PM
FHOD, Do you have the PDF or original file for the speedo test? I'm trying to solve this problem now.

tph
06-25-2013, 12:16 AM
Nice work, and a ton of it too. Random, but is the thru hull on the bottom bent?

It may have been hit. It should look like this:

FlyHighorDie
06-25-2013, 12:57 AM
I thought it should but it is such a nice bend it looked facotry. Maybe I will get around to fixing it, after I replace my PVC valve.