PDA

View Full Version : Hot rim on one side

crdickey
09-22-2005, 01:15 AM
just got home from trailering my boat home, about 100 miles. Went to unload the gear from the boat and smelled something hot. My drivers side rim was too hot to touch, passenger side was cool to the touch. Jacked up the trailer and the drivers side is turnable but doesn't spin freely like the other side does. Sounds like the pads are clamping and have not released all the way.

Single axle 2003 PS-197 MC trailer

Ideas?

rodltg2
09-22-2005, 01:16 AM
could it be you wheel bearings?

erkoehler
09-22-2005, 01:39 AM
I would have the brakes checked and have the bearings repacked just to be sure.

PendO
09-22-2005, 01:57 AM
just got home from trailering my boat home, about 100 miles. Went to unload the gear from the boat and smelled something hot. My drivers side rim was too hot to touch, passenger side was cool to the touch. Jacked up the trailer and the drivers side is turnable but doesn't spin freely like the other side does. Sounds like the pads are clamping and have not released all the way.

Ideas?

So it has calipers (disc brakes) or drum brakes? Check out these links.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/drum-brake.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/disc-brake.htm

Either way, something is out of adjustment or broken causing the brake to remain engaged

PendO
09-22-2005, 01:59 AM
or is it like this?

crdickey
09-22-2005, 01:59 AM
Bearings feel good, no crunching sound, lots of brake dust on the hot rim. I'm sure it's the caliper not releasing all the way on that wheel.

PendO
09-22-2005, 02:00 AM
Drum Brake

crdickey
09-22-2005, 02:01 AM
Disc brakes and oil bath hubs.

I can see the oil level is fine.

PendO
09-22-2005, 02:02 AM
Bearings feel good, no crunching sound, lots of brake dust on the hot rim. I'm sure it's the caliper not releasing all the way on that wheel.

The calipers (disc brakes) should be self adjusting, but it sounds like that is not happening ... you could take the tire off if you want to be sure and it will be visible whether or not the caliper is releasing.

PendO
09-22-2005, 09:54 AM
now that all you east coast / midwest guys are up out of bed and having coffee ... bump.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-22-2005, 10:20 AM

Ideas?
Replace BOTH calipers. No need to think any more about it. Call Mike at MYMC. They can give the straight and ugly about these brakes on 2003 trailers.
This exact same thing happened to me. Took me about a month to figure it out back and forth with everyone here, and dealers. The result was bad calipers that as I understand it have a piston that either doesn't fit correctly, or something else with the design. And in turn the piston pushes out at an angle, and hence hangs up the rebound stroke. This is the best we could figure, so as I said replace the calipers, if only one side is doing it, the other side will. I have checked with the powers that be on a recall, and none to my knowledge have been issued yet.
The NEW calipers have a difference design, ( I have to wonder why) and they even look different visualy. MIght want to consider replacing pads too since the ones you have will probably be worn down at an angle. Take a look at them.
I will take some pictures if I get a chance when I get home of the two so you can see.
Oh, by the way, 2003 X7.

crdickey
09-22-2005, 10:55 PM
I love these forums!

Called Mike at MC of Charlotte, great guy, he pointed me to his site page with all the details about this problem. Reliable Tool and Machine is replacing them at no charge and I should have them in a week.

They said they will look different but bolt right on. Changes were to help avoid corrosion hanging up the piston or slide bushings.

The "Bernie" mention on the site is actually Reliable's competition and I assume was trying to cause Reliable some money for all the replacements they have sent out. I think Reliable's stepping up to the plate makes them a better supplier fro standing behind a 3 year old product built on an even older GM design.

My thanks to Mike at "mymastercraft.com" and MC of Charlotte.

http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/view_thread.cfm?postid=266&forum=10&category=2

Workin' 4 Toys
09-22-2005, 11:10 PM
I love these forums!

Called Mike at MC of Charlotte, great guy, he pointed me to his site page with all the details about this problem. Reliable Tool and Machine is replacing them at no charge and I should have them in a week.

They said they will look different but bolt right on. Changes were to help avoid corrosion hanging up the piston or slide bushings.

The "Bernie" mention on the site is actually Reliable's competition and I assume was trying to cause Reliable some money for all the replacements they have sent out. I think Reliable's stepping up to the plate makes them a better supplier fro standing behind a 3 year old product built on an even older GM design.

My thanks to Mike at "mymastercraft.com" and MC of Charlotte.

http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/view_thread.cfm?postid=266&forum=10&category=2
Mike and Joe get my vote for Number 1 in customer service.

ematthew
09-23-2005, 09:58 AM
I had a similar problem with my 04 X-Star trailer and my mechanic said 3 of the 4 calipers on my tandem axle trailer were stuck and not functioning properly. Mastercraft is paying to have all 4 calipers replaced.

dyarbrough68
11-17-2005, 12:04 AM
Same thing happened on my 03 X7 trailer. It seems that the caliper piston was not completely sealed from water entry and rusted. I would think that this is a design flaw, since I had to remove the brake just to get my boat back home.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-17-2005, 12:22 AM
Same thing happened on my 03 X7 trailer. It seems that the caliper piston was not completely sealed from water entry and rusted. I would think that this is a design flaw, since I had to remove the brake just to get my boat back home.
Do a search and read up on ALL:eek3: the threads in relation to this. You will find your answer. If not post back here again after the search and I will help you find the answer you are looking for.;)