PDA

View Full Version : Prop...to repair or not repair.

PineLakeRumble
04-03-2013, 09:24 PM
After dragging my boat back from Florida I noticed a ding on one of the blades of the prop. How much will this affect the wake/power/performance of the boat. The camera flash revealed discoloration or what looks like repairs done in the past. Does this damage compromise the prop in any way? Any guesses regarding a price to do a proper repair?

Thanks for your input.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Totally fixable unless your wanting a new propeller, around here a reputable shop will charge $100-$150 to get it like new, you could also send it to OJ propeller for him to repair. A damaged prop can cause vibrations, loss of performance and excessive fuel consumption definatly need to either be repaired or replaced.

-V-
04-03-2013, 09:30 PM
prop looks like it has been re-worked before......I reworked mine and over some time it took a turn for the worse where the dulling on it started to come apart. I called Eric at OJ and picked up a better prop. He had it to me in San Antonio in about three days from TN.

Grant777
04-03-2013, 09:38 PM
I dinged my OJ Prop much worse. Took a whole blade tip off. Bought a replacement from Eric and he fixed the dinged prop for free. I've kept it as a spare. Before I decided to replace the prop the repair quote was $80 plus shipping if I remember correctly.

FrankSchwab
04-03-2013, 10:19 PM
My prop currently looks worse than that - and has since the middle of last summer. It hasn't increased vibrations or reduced performance, so I have no intention of fixing it. IMHO, if it isn't causing a noticeable issue, it's safe to ignore it. If the MCOCD is strong with you, however, you will find no peace until you do get it fixed - so you know what to do.

/frank

Ironhorse
04-04-2013, 08:38 AM
You can have that repaired easily. From your screen name I am guessing you are near Red Deer. There is a guy in Airdrie that repairs them. Let me know if you need his contact info.

pmkkdx
04-04-2013, 08:42 AM
I've seen much worse still running on a boat. Although it might not be noticeable, that small amount of damage can cause the prop to be off balance and transition the vibration to the shaft bearings. Personally, I would get it fixed or replace and keep this as a spare for emergencies. Our boat got pushed sideways from the wind while loading and proceeded to chew up the trailer runner (and prop) ... ~$125 rebuild locally but we opted for a new prop ... Eric will get your fixed up

PineLakeRumble
04-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the info. folks. I think it's time to buy a prop puller and get it sorted.

Cheers.

wheelerd
04-05-2013, 02:23 AM
You can have that repaired easily. From your screen name I am guessing you are near Red Deer. There is a guy in Airdrie that repairs them. Let me know if you need his contact info.

Yes, Prop Masters -- I've taken a couple of props there.:)

PineLakeRumble
04-12-2013, 12:55 PM
If I was to go with a new prop. what model would people suggest? 13x13 Federal Nibral is what I have at the moment. We'll be doing it all with the boat (slalom, footing, wakeskate/board). 1986 MC, Stock 351 / 1:1 Trans

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

76S&S
04-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Call Eric at OJ props and he can recommend the correct prop for your needs.

milkmania
04-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the info. folks. I think it's time to buy a prop puller and get it sorted.

Cheers.

what year and model?
I don't need a prop puller for my 91 PS190 Powerslot

onejdgreen
04-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Call Eric at OJ props and he can recommend the correct prop for your needs.

X 2 for Eric @ OJ. Always great service! You probably don't need a puller, a 2x4 and 2 lb blacksmith hammer has always worked for me...

PineLakeRumble
04-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Hammer and 2x4,...are all the MCOCD people rolling around on the floor in the fetal position?

I was trying to avoid sending the prop across the border to avoid my frustration with duties and taxes. Sounds like a discussion with Eric is on order. Anyone else with 86-90 skier/prostar use props other than 13x13?

wheelerd
04-12-2013, 08:50 PM
I'm in Red Deer. You're welcome to borrow my puller.
Then take it to Propmasters in Airdrie.

supreme112279
04-12-2013, 09:05 PM
My local shop charges $135. Get it fixed before it causes other problems

Bouyhead
04-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Another plug for Eric@ OJ. I sent him a prop for repair, they called and said " maybe but not recommended" I said send it back. They sent it no charge. Pretty cool, they got me locked in.

PineLakeRumble
04-12-2013, 11:00 PM
I'm in Red Deer. You're welcome to borrow my puller.
Then take it to Propmasters in Airdrie.

Wheelerd,

Thanks for the kind offer. Tough commute from Ontario though. I'll give Eric from OJ a call and pick his brain regarding repair and/or replacement.

wheelerd
04-12-2013, 11:04 PM
Ah! There's a Pine Lake just 20 minutes from me that I sometimes go to. Thought maybe you were there.:o

Snipe
04-12-2013, 11:22 PM
What ever company brand you go with, IMO go with a CNC machined prop. The blade is thinner but larger. I've used them for some time now and feel there is a night and day difference between CNC machined and hand finished props. They also balance better. :twocents:

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-12-2013, 11:56 PM
If I was to go with a new prop. what model would people suggest? 13x13 Federal Nibral is what I have at the moment. We'll be doing it all with the boat (slalom, footing, wakeskate/board). 1986 MC, Stock 351 / 1:1 Trans

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

OJ is good and has great customer service, acme not so much on the customer service but their props are great, but my opinion is to get acme 541 13x12 cnc, it will be night and day, btw a ran oj 13x13 3 & 4 blades for many years but when I tried the 541 I won't put another non cnc back on, I'm sure oj has a comparable prop...

Snipe
04-13-2013, 07:43 AM
^^+1+1:banana:
Although Jim at ACME spent about 45 min on the phone with me patiently explaining what a CNC machined prop will offer V.S. a hand finished. As I stated CNC, IMO, hands down. He nailed it the first time. Also told me that I it is now what I wanted, send it back. I kept it...couldn't believe the difference. I will definitely go there again for this MC.(1998 Prostar 190) Just would like to see what the 13X13 that's on there now has to offer.