View Full Version : Deck boats, who makes them?

04-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Besides Hurricane, who makes a decent deck boat?
My sister-in-law and her husband want something used under $20K that they can party on, pull a wakeboarder, tuber, and even fish off it.

They are first time boat owners, so an I/O would be a good start for them. (Easy to dock, quiet, etc.) A used 220 Tristar is in their price range too, but still won't have the same space as a deck boat.

So who makes a decent one?

04-03-2013, 09:29 PM
I had an I/O previously. IMO, I think a v-drive would be better because there can be much maintenance expense in an I/O. Fixing/replacing the bellows and etc is costly. Nothing you said would eliminate the v-drive with the exception of easy to dock - just find someone to take them out an practice a bit. Otherwise, if you/they are really stuck on something that can be dragged around by the back end :D why not consider outboard?

88 PS190
04-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Before they buy - pay attention to the load ratings USCG label, and load the boat up and have folks walk to one side, compare it to the performance of a pontoon at similar load.

You can wakeboard better behind a deck boat - but safety wise I think a pontoon will carry people with more stability.

04-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Hurricane. I had an 05 and back then it was awesome, the 250 E-Tec outboard was not so great. If they go outboard, don't buy the E-Tec pre 2008... Mine was replaced in 2006 and again in 2007... Tons of power, awesome rough water handling but...horrific on fuel and connecting rods (engine, not boat). Mine was a 237 O/B

I think in that price range, he'll be looking in the 2005-9 range depending on the model. A windshield comes in handy in colder climates.

Some others deck boats of interest...

Searay makes a great boat, the used price point is higher, but resale based on brand recognition is also higher. Example boat below.

Starcraft, not on par with above, but price point reflects that...

04-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Ebbtide's Mystique 2400 and Rinker's 243 Siesta are both well built and offer decent space.

04-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Crownline also makes a deck boat.........They are pretty nice boats.

Search for a 238DB or 239DB

04-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Chapparel for sure two of my buddy's have their older 24 ftr's. things are built like tanks. Chapparel makes a quality product

Harris Kayot not sure about their quality but see a bunch around here

04-04-2013, 11:07 AM
my lake neighbor has a chapparel sunesta. seems like a great layout and he routinely packs it full of people. definitely gonna cost some money over an outboard when it comes time to service the outdrive.

04-04-2013, 11:21 AM
My neighbor has an Ebbtide, which looks pretty snazzy. My dad also bought a Kayot (Made by Harris boats) which is a pretty slick boat, and built really well.

04-04-2013, 11:46 AM
My buddy has a no-longer-made Donzi Z23 deck boat. The reason I mention it is that I've spent quite a bit of time on it. It's very nicely made, comfortable and rides/handles very well. They are value-priced on the used market too, as they were not very popular with the Donzi crowd:)

Here's a link to some more info: