PDA

View Full Version : Babe's seat soap VS 303 Vinyl Cleaner VS Vinyl Sauce

Big tic
04-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Our new to us 2009 Mastercraft has arrived after a 2500 miles journey from Texas to Ottawa Ontario then to Fredericton NB. It was shrink wrapped in Texas but the interior is still in need of a good clean.

Up until this point I have only used basic automotive type cleaners on past boats. I took the plunge and bought all the popular products discussed on this website.

I am going to use the back sun pad as my proving ground. I will post pictures tomorrow of before, during and after.

Below is what I plan to do.

Each product will have its own pad (back sun pad left, centre and right). I will attempt to also understand the time needed for each product to work IE if you have 2 minuites to clean the whole interior what is the best product, or what product is best if you want to spend all day just cleaning one area.

1st. 2 min per panel per product.

2nd 5 min per panel per product.

3rd MCOCD 10 min per panel. Focusing on sticking.

I will then attempt to find the best product and clean the other 2 panels with it.

Part 2 Vinyl protectors

303 AEROSPACE VS. Babes seat saver VS Lexol Vinylex

Similar test to the vinyl cleaners.

Please feel free to comment and give suggestions.

sand2snow22
04-01-2013, 10:22 PM
4. Totally awesome cleaner from the Dollar Store

swatguy
04-01-2013, 10:25 PM
I would also throw Totally Awesome Cleaner or Malco in the mix vs all of those. You will see a huge difference in cleaning potential between the Babes, 303, and Vinyl Sauce vs either the Malco or the Totally Awesome Cleaner. Totally Awesome is cheap , readily available at almost any store, and really can't be beat as a vinyl cleaner. I wouldn't use the Totally Awesome as a daily wipedown like I would the 3 you mention, but again if you have dirty vinyl nothing will clean better than the Totally Awesome or Malco with a soft bristle brush. Also get a soft bristle brush for either of the 3 you mentioned. IT will add even more cleaning power.

swatguy
04-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Daum,

Sand beat me to it :)

orbeamlb
04-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Babes Seat Soap fan here

Big tic
04-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Great feedback. I have never seem totally awesome before but I will look around tomorrow.

I got the soft brush and micro fiber towels ready.

Big tic
04-01-2013, 10:32 PM
BTW this will be my first time using these products I have no brand loyalty.

swatguy
04-01-2013, 10:39 PM
No prob looking forward to the feedback from your tests.
I went through the boat wipedown down products last season...Let me know if you're interested on my input from those in this thread

IE
Babes Boat Bright
Boat Bling Hot Sauce
Ducky's Spot Remover Plus
Standard Vin/Water Mixture

I have also went through the protectants as well so will add to it when you post your results.

Big tic
04-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Swatguy

Let me post my findings before you comment. I want to ensure i am 100% impartial.

Looking forward to this trial.

swatguy
04-01-2013, 10:50 PM
For sure...Why i asked first

Big tic
04-02-2013, 10:26 PM
I will upload pictures tomorrow. Below is my brief findings

First off I would say my seats had heavy dirt and grim build up.

3rd Babes seat soap- Best smelling, least aggressive of the three. Might be my everyday cleaner. Left the seats feeling the "smoothest". If your boat is new and are looking for an everyday cleaner buy Babe's. It smells the best and was pretty easy to whip off to a level of no residue. The down side is not enough horsepower to clean deep grim and dirt.

2nd 303 vinyl and fabric cleaner. At first this was my favourite. It worked the best on the white stitching. I found that I used less of the product compared to the other two. It also left the least residue (which may be a benefit to some). I found it worked well on the dash and other hard parts. Overall I was very pleased with this product and would buy this again. This product gave great results but needed more work then then the Vinyl Sauce

1st Vinyl Sauce- I would NOT say that this product blew away the 303 but in my experence it worked the best on spot removal and overall cleaning. I found the 303 did a better job on the white stitching but the vinyl sauce was the best overall.

So here is what I did to clean the boat

step 1- 303 cleaner with brush focusing on the stitching.
step 2- 303 cleaner with microfiber
step 3- Vinyl Sauce with brush.
step 4- Vinyl sauce with microfiber

Dressing

I found it hard to tell the difference between the 3. They all have benefits. All great products.

3rd- Lexol Vinlyex- This product gave the best natural feel. Almost no residue. I feel that this product would be the best at not attracting dust. I want to give this product another try. It might be a great product for steering wheels and dash boards.

2nd- Babes Seat Saver- Like the smell. Makes the seats feel the softest. A little bit to much residue but I was also running low on microfiber towels so I couldn't give it a good buff after. Overall if you want your boat to smell like a strip club buy Babe's products. If my boat was brand new and I was only doing light cleaning. Babes would be the one for me. Once I get the boat to the level I want I may very well switch to babes for everyday cleaning. I just love the smell reminds me of my other favourite place.......

1st 303 Areospace Protectant- To me it seamed to have a slight cleaning action. It really made the colours pop. At first I found it to greasy but after about 30 mins of drying time it looked great and left the seats soft to the touch. I buffed the seats again after about 45 mins of drying time and the seats looked awesome and felt even better.

I am going to order some Malco product and give it a try. There is no local Totally awesome distributor in my area.

Cant wait to keep cleaning.

CottagerGreg
04-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback... i was always impressed with the 303 products

swatguy
04-03-2013, 01:41 AM
Thanks a ton

I found the same results as your stated above with the cleaners. I chose the Vinyl sauce after years of the of the Babes and Exquisite (which I didn't mention because its no longer available, but it was by far my fav) once i tried it. It worked great for me and make wipedowns a cinch. I will agree for sure tho that the the 303 gets to the stitching a bit better, but I just prefered the cleaning power of the Vinyl sauce on the vinyl. I use the Totally Awesome when the threads really need a good scrub anyways.

The only thing I will add to the protectants that you have not experienced yet is that once the 303 gets wet for the first time, even after being buffed good, it does get slimy. That greasy feel will come back when water hits it. It eventually wears off, but the first couple times it can be slick. It also takes the longest to fully dry and set in of the ones you used. It does however give the best shine and showroom gloss look as you mentioned. It also gives the highest UV protection rate IIRC and keeps the shine the longest from my experience , but the slimy feel on the front end is the turn off for me and why I go with Boat Bling's Conditioning Sauce over the 303. I wouldn't say the Boat Bling Conditioning Sauce is any better or worse than the Babes Seat Saver. I think they perform and feel almost identical to the touch. I just do the Boat Bling Conditioning Sauce because I prefer the Vinyl Sauce over Babes Seat Soap as a daily cleaner/wipedown for vinyl and Boat Bling's Hot Sauce over the Babes Boat Bright for after outing wipedowns so one stop shopping is great..

Thanks again for the write up. Never thought of listing all my trials and tribulations. Good to know they match up pretty well with yours for sure

pap
04-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Ummm, as somebody who doesn't frequent strip clubs, could you clarify what "if you want your boat to smell like a strip club buy Babe's products" means???

jrbishop4
04-03-2013, 04:05 PM
I have used 303 for the last 6 years and have had great luck with it. I have always debated on trying other products but found myself always just buying 303 every time. Thanks for the info.

Big tic
04-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Strip clubs (at least the talent in them) smell like vanilla and mixtures of random body sprays (raspberry, strawberries etc). So I have heard......

I was also thinking that different areas may have different cleaning demands. So different products may work 100% different by geographic area. IE City boats may need something that cleans soot or acid rain were a cottage boat in Northern Ontario may need something that is better at removing bugs or sap.

2012X45
04-03-2013, 10:27 PM
This is from the MasterCraft owner's manual.

Upholstery
While the vinyl is made to withstand the elements, it is important to care for vinyl by keeping it clean at all times. Many substances may stain the vinyl if left untreated over a period of time. Remember to remove any contaminant and clean vinyl immediately.
Regular washing with mild detergent (see attached information) and warm water or vinyl cleaners is sufficient to keep the cushion and vinyl coverings in good condition. Do not soak the cushion, and dry thoroughly after washing to prevent mildew accumulations when the boat is covered. Spray the cushions with a mildew repellent and prop them up in the boat when it is covered to take advantage of air circulation.

MasterCraft vinyl is made to withstand the effects of sun, heat, acid rain and soiling, under normal conditions, but this does not preclude the cleaning requirements. Please consult the following cleaning recommendations before cleaning your upholstery.

Certain household cleaners, powdered abrasives, steel wool, and industrial cleaners may cause damage and discoloration, and are not recommended for use. Dry cleaning fluids and lacquer solvents should not be used as they will remove the printed pattern and gloss. Waxes are not recommended, as many contain dyes and solvents that can permanently damage the vinylís protective coating.

In some instances, consumers have reported the appearance of a pink stain on vinyl that is resistant to various cleaning methods. Although there can be other causes for pink staining in vinyls, most pink stains are caused by dyes produced by micro-organisms. These dyes are metabolic products of the micro-organisms, otherwise known as a form of fungi.
It is virtually impossible for consumers to avoid these micro-organisms as they exist in the atmosphere, which are more prevalent in high-humidity areas. Rain cleanses the air, with the result being that the micro-organisms are deposited on items such as marine vinyl.
While the vinyl is treated to resist the growth of micro-organisms (meaning the vinyl is not a food source), the stain results from failure to properly clean and maintain the vinyl. This means that after use, the upholstery must be cleaned with a soft brush and warm soapy water, followed by a thorough rinse with clean water.

This situation is worsened if the boat is stored without proper ventilation or if the boat cover is put on while the vinyl is still wet, creating a situation in which all forms of fungi (mold and mildew) thrive.

Failure to follow these instructions in the proper care of upholstery may cause your warranty to be voided!

The cleaning table presented in this section is offered only as a suggestion and as an aid in attempting to deal with stains. We do not guarantee that the cleaning methods will work. Stains from any external source are unlikely to be covered by warranty.

All of the products listed as recommended are especially good for routine care. Subsequent to publication we have been advised that 303 Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner(TM) is, followed up by 303 High Tech Fabric Guard(TM), highly recommended as a result of testing by the upholstery manufacturer.

pmikler
04-03-2013, 10:55 PM
I am curious if that's for the new vinyl or any vinyl that mastercraft has used.

What year owners manual is that from?

This is from the MasterCraft owner's manual.

Upholstery
While the vinyl is made to withstand the elements, it is important to care for vinyl by keeping it clean at all times. Many substances may stain the vinyl if left untreated over a period of time. Remember to remove any contaminant and clean vinyl immediately.
Regular washing with mild detergent (see attached information) and warm water or vinyl cleaners is sufficient to keep the cushion and vinyl coverings in good condition. Do not soak the cushion, and dry thoroughly after washing to prevent mildew accumulations when the boat is covered. Spray the cushions with a mildew repellent and prop them up in the boat when it is covered to take advantage of air circulation.

MasterCraft vinyl is made to withstand the effects of sun, heat, acid rain and soiling, under normal conditions, but this does not preclude the cleaning requirements. Please consult the following cleaning recommendations before cleaning your upholstery.

Certain household cleaners, powdered abrasives, steel wool, and industrial cleaners may cause damage and discoloration, and are not recommended for use. Dry cleaning fluids and lacquer solvents should not be used as they will remove the printed pattern and gloss. Waxes are not recommended, as many contain dyes and solvents that can permanently damage the vinylís protective coating.

In some instances, consumers have reported the appearance of a pink stain on vinyl that is resistant to various cleaning methods. Although there can be other causes for pink staining in vinyls, most pink stains are caused by dyes produced by micro-organisms. These dyes are metabolic products of the micro-organisms, otherwise known as a form of fungi.
It is virtually impossible for consumers to avoid these micro-organisms as they exist in the atmosphere, which are more prevalent in high-humidity areas. Rain cleanses the air, with the result being that the micro-organisms are deposited on items such as marine vinyl.
While the vinyl is treated to resist the growth of micro-organisms (meaning the vinyl is not a food source), the stain results from failure to properly clean and maintain the vinyl. This means that after use, the upholstery must be cleaned with a soft brush and warm soapy water, followed by a thorough rinse with clean water.

This situation is worsened if the boat is stored without proper ventilation or if the boat cover is put on while the vinyl is still wet, creating a situation in which all forms of fungi (mold and mildew) thrive.

Failure to follow these instructions in the proper care of upholstery may cause your warranty to be voided!

The cleaning table presented in this section is offered only as a suggestion and as an aid in attempting to deal with stains. We do not guarantee that the cleaning methods will work. Stains from any external source are unlikely to be covered by warranty.

All of the products listed as recommended are especially good for routine care. Subsequent to publication we have been advised that 303 Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner(TM) is, followed up by 303 High Tech Fabric Guard(TM), highly recommended as a result of testing by the upholstery manufacturer.

swatguy
04-04-2013, 05:47 AM
That disclaimer has been around for a bit as has the chart in some form or another have one in my 2000 manual. It's more of a tutorial on what to use for certain stains in the 2000 manual.

BrooksfamX2
04-04-2013, 10:34 AM
I would also throw Totally Awesome Cleaner or Malco in the mix vs all of those................

I use Malco and it works great...........

Big tic
04-04-2013, 02:56 PM
which one of the Malco products do you suggest?

BrooksfamX2
04-04-2013, 02:59 PM
which one of the Malco products do you suggest?

This is the only one I've used. Local upholstery shop recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Malco-Leather-Plastic-Cleaner-Professional/dp/B00397YNL8/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1365098318&sr=1-1&keywords=malco+plastic+cleaner

Sodar
04-04-2013, 03:11 PM
I use Malco and it works great...........

x2.

There was a guy on WakeWorld that did a bunch of chemistry testing on the product and it is essentially the exact same product as LA's Totally Awesome in chemical make-up.

I bought the Malco at the recommendation of Harold and will use the Malco until it runs out, but after seeing the data, I will use the money saved to buy Totally Awesome in lieu of Malco on other upgrades. :cool:

2012X45
04-04-2013, 07:42 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/files/manuals/58734df532b58f0764f51d4fd59f1aaf.pdf

2012X45
04-04-2013, 07:42 PM
I am curious if that's for the new vinyl or any vinyl that mastercraft has used.

What year owners manual is that from?

2012. Check out the link to the PDF on page 3 that I posted.

davidstan
04-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Is that Totally Awesome "all purpose cleaner" that you all are recommending?

sand2snow22
04-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Yessir..

swatguy
04-05-2013, 12:36 AM
x2.

There was a guy on WakeWorld that did a bunch of chemistry testing on the product and it is essentially the exact same product as LA's Totally Awesome in chemical make-up.

I bought the Malco at the recommendation of Harold and will use the Malco until it runs out, but after seeing the data, I will use the money saved to buy Totally Awesome in lieu of Malco on other upgrades. :cool:

Yea it was essentially the same, some minor chemicals were swapped in the mixture, but the active stuff was essentially the same. However the Malco costs 3 times as much.

The Toatally Awesome has a million uses. IT all depends how much you dilute it. I use it for everything around house. Works great and has yet to fail me. Just make sure you use a good conditioner/protectant after you use it on your vinyl. I will strip/clear the old stuff off

Big tic
04-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Update:

I just finished using Collintie Cleaner wax and Fleetwax on the interior fiberglass. Great products. The boat is really starting to look new. I decided to apply the cleaner wax and fleetwax by hand (I am going to use the PC 7424xp on exterior and may go over larger interior areas). Looks awesome. I followed this up with Babe's Boat bright. It worked great also (smelled awesome, similar to heaven I would assume).

There are no dealers of Malco or Totally Awesome within a 4 hour drive of me (great white northeast). I am however traveling to our nations capital (Ottawa) next week and plan to purchase some Totally awesome to try on the vinyl. I still can see some spots that need some attention.

Tonight I will be attacking the non-slip flooring with some star brite cleaner and a scrub brush. After it is clean I am going to fleetwax the non-slip that is under carpet, followed by babes Boat bright.

Carpet is pretty dirty. I plan to pressure wash it, scrub it with some carpet cleaners, and last soak with fabric softener and then finial wash off.

Tried cleaning a section on the tower with babes boat bright and it did a surprisingly good job. I am going to try some other aluminum cleaners and will report back on them as well.

I promise to post pictures once it is completed.

Beg4wake
04-05-2013, 10:41 AM
I don't know how it reacts on the vinyl in the long run (I've had no probs in the past) but I have used Mr Clean Magic Erasers before to get out deep dirt and stains and it has worked better in just a few seconds than most cleaners did after 20 mins of scrubbing...However I'm always afraid that if it works that well the chemicals can't be too good for the vinyl so I always immediately use a seat soap followed by a vinyl conditioner right after using one...just to be safe. Like I said, I've never had probs in the past with doing this and I've found the Magic Eraser to work better than anything else...plus they're cheap. Although if you use a daily seat cleaner you shouldn't ever really need it! Just my 2 cents worth...

PS...if anybody has had a bad experience or reaction on their vinyl from a Mr Clean Magic Eraser...please let me know so I know for sure not to use it any in the future!

bcd
04-05-2013, 08:09 PM
The magic eraser isn't a chemical, it's micro-sandpaper. I use it only a very little bit as a last ditch effort on stains that nothing else will get out. It is bad for the vinyl because you are actually sanding it away.

swatguy
04-05-2013, 10:03 PM
The magic eraser isn't a chemical, it's micro-sandpaper. I use it only a very little bit as a last ditch effort on stains that nothing else will get out. It is bad for the vinyl because you are actually sanding it away.

X2 You actually are taking a layer of vinyl off with the eraser, not buffing the stain off the vinyl. Use them sparingly

LittleFuss
04-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Previous owner used 303. the vinyl is in amazing shape especially for a 2004 most now the vinyl that year was suspect...

So i have continued the tradition and am using 303...

On the hull I use 3M restorer for problem spots...I am a disciple of 4M marine products...

ZachDaddy
04-16-2013, 11:31 PM
I echo the light use of the magic eraser but my hand down favorite cleaner is Boat Bling. Its the best I've tried. After a cleaning I use BB vinyl sauce.

XStar08
04-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Ordered some Babes Seat Soap and was, beside of the smell, disappointed about the cleaning ability.
Doe's anybody know if one can purchase Totally awsome products in Europe?

XStar08
04-22-2013, 04:40 PM
http://static.ewg.org/reports/2012/cleaners_hallofshame/cleaners_hallofshame.pdf

Mmm, see page 4...

76S&S
04-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Previous owner used 303. the vinyl is in amazing shape especially for a 2004 most now the vinyl that year was suspect...

So i have continued the tradition and am using 303...

On the hull I use 3M restorer for problem spots...I am a disciple of 4M marine products...

Where can I get some of that 4M marine stuff, it has to be better than 3M because 4 is a larger number than 3.......:D:D

Just messing with ya, back on topic now

When I picked up my boat from Viper, he recommended a mild soapy solution to clean and protect with 303.

Snipe
04-22-2013, 06:44 PM
I would also throw Totally Awesome Cleaner or Malco in the mix vs all of those. You will see a huge difference in cleaning potential between the Babes, 303, and Vinyl Sauce vs either the Malco or the Totally Awesome Cleaner. Totally Awesome is cheap , readily available at almost any store, and really can't be beat as a vinyl cleaner. I wouldn't use the Totally Awesome as a daily wipedown like I would the 3 you mention, but again if you have dirty vinyl nothing will clean better than the Totally Awesome or Malco with a soft bristle brush. Also get a soft bristle brush for either of the 3 you mentioned. IT will add even more cleaning power.
I got some of that Totally Awesome in a spray bottle and it says on there to dilute it. Is that necessary?

sand2snow22
04-23-2013, 01:20 AM
No need to dilute. Works great for a buck.

jeffbare
05-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Do you guys use the 303 on gel coat as well as the vinyl?

02ProstarSammyD
05-02-2013, 10:58 AM
I got some of that Totally Awesome in a pray bottle and it says on there to dilute it. Is that necessary?

I dilute mine in a bucket of water and use a sponge for regular washing. No dilute for extreme cleanings with a soft brisel brush. Btw this stuff CLEANS! I found its the only thing that gets the crap off my windshield frame to make it look brand new. I really do like babes though and use it if I have it. For a buck its hard to beat the alternative though. Just 303 it after. These stronger cleaners tend to dry upholstery out.

wakeX2wake
05-02-2013, 12:06 PM
after scrubbing with some stuff from walmart yesterday and being displeased with the results i'll keep looking until i find some 303.

advice?

02ProstarSammyD
05-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Totally Awesome

if you try that and you are disappointed you just need new vinyl

Big tic
05-06-2013, 12:57 PM
TOTALLY AWESOME IS THE NEW CHAMP.

Well got some Totally Awesome. At $1 it is a fraction of the cost of the designer cleaners. I picked up a case.

Blows the doors off everything I tried (babes, 303 cleaner and vinyl sauce).

Dont waste your money like I did. Buy Totally awesome and follow up with a light wash with water and then 303 areospace. I see some guys use babes or vinyl sauce after using Totally awesome. I used a damp sponge with warm water then 303.

Anyway interior looks great. Did great work on the sticking.

Eric

kodiak
05-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Is this the cleaner you are using? http://www.dollargeneral.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11786549

LaRue
05-06-2013, 02:26 PM
We have been using Babes Seat Soap followed by 303 protectant. Seats get cleaned and protected 3-4 times a season whether they need it or not and wiped down with a towel after every outing. I see no reason to try anything else. We buy a 5 gallons of Seat Soap to bring the cost down.

Big tic
05-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Is this the cleaner you are using? http://www.dollargeneral.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11786549

Yes thats the stuff.

I agree I may only use Totally awesome once or twice a year. Vinyl sauce for day to day. Followed by 303.

Eric

NoSubstitute
07-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Any recommendations for a "soft bristle brush"? Everything I've found at the local stores seems pretty stiff.

JMLVMI
07-15-2013, 02:18 PM
How long are you guys leaving the 303 Aerospace Protectant on the vinyl before you wipe it off?

Moosecrackers
07-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Any recommendations for a "soft bristle brush"? Everything I've found at the local stores seems pretty stiff.

This (http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-155700-Wheel-Brush/dp/B001GJ3DZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373908969&sr=8-1&keywords=mothers+wheel+brush)works pretty well.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416O%2BxR6H3L._SX385_.jpg

NoSubstitute
07-15-2013, 05:13 PM
This (http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-155700-Wheel-Brush/dp/B001GJ3DZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373908969&sr=8-1&keywords=mothers+wheel+brush)works pretty well.

Looks good! Thanks for the recommendation.

bret
07-19-2013, 07:00 AM
mild soap and water and lexol vinylex since owned

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=722&pictureid=4300