PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate cost for gelcoat wetsand job

jdl xstar
04-01-2013, 12:09 PM
The transom on my xstar is faded so I want to get it wetsanded. Anyone have ideas on how much this job should cost? I got a quote of $200 and thought it was a little high considering the job is only for the transom. thanks-

Cloaked
04-01-2013, 05:51 PM
The transom on my xstar is faded so I want to get it wetsanded. Anyone have ideas on how much this job should cost? I got a quote of $200 and thought it was a little high considering the job is only for the transom. thanks-
That's about right for transom only....

It's an easy job for that small of an area.... Do it yourself if so inclined.

sand2snow22
04-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Sounds cheap to me, especially if they remove the hardware on the transom to do the job right. Wetsand, buff, wax...

Keep wax on it and modify your cover to protect the transom and the swim platform.

BrooksfamX2
04-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Sounds about right to me, especially if they wax and polish it also (with no hardware removal)

east tx skier
04-01-2013, 06:54 PM
When I bought my current boat, it had a little fade. I had the whole boat done (buffed/compounded out) for $350. Went from a bit faded to showroom new for that price. I thought it was fair and was happy to pay it.

gotjag941
04-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Figure 16-18 a foot

psychobilly
04-01-2013, 08:49 PM
If you have an X Star, more than likely you don't need to wet sand. Prolly just a compound job and then wax... That's all I did to my OLD faded boat. She looks like new and no wet sanding.

jmw
04-01-2013, 08:50 PM
I think that's pretty fair. You can probably get the entire boat done for not much more with wet sanding only the areas that need it and buffing the rest. It's a small job but he has to drag it in the shop, set up etc... You might consider doing it yourself and save the money and purchase a buffer for yourself for future buffing and waxing.

ttu
04-01-2013, 09:14 PM
I think that's pretty fair. You can probably get the entire boat done for not much more with wet sanding only the areas that need it and buffing the rest. It's a small job but he has to drag it in the shop, set up etc... You might consider doing it yourself and save the money and purchase a buffer for yourself for future buffing and waxing.

sounds like a good idea. what is your thoughts of a good buffer?

FrankSchwab
04-01-2013, 11:47 PM

What are you thinking, man?

Asking a question like that on here is like asking:
1. What's the best oil?
2. What's the best oil filter?
3. MasterCraft or Nautique?
4. Ginger or Mary Ann?

This whole place is going down in flames, and it's your fault.

jmw
04-01-2013, 11:47 PM

I'm a fan of the Porter Cable 7424 XP. It's a dual action orbital polisher so you don't have to worry about swirls near as much. On gelcoat swirls aren't as big deal because it's much tougher than paint but you can use it on your cars without the worry and it does a great job on both in my opinion. They make several different pads for it depending on what your trying to accomplish, remove oxidation, light buffing and waxing... I believe there is thread on it because I researched several before I purchased mine and a lot of folks liked it.

FrankSchwab
04-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Maybe this thread (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=45534) will be more helpful.

Porter-Cable 7424 seems to be a popular choice for the "buy quality and keep it forever" crowd, and the Harbor Freight 92623 for the "good enough for one job" crowd.

GoneBoatN
04-02-2013, 01:19 AM

1. What's the best oil?
4. Ginger or Mary Ann?

Definately Ginger!:D

bturner2
04-02-2013, 09:08 AM
I have the Porter Cable and it's worked very well for me. I haven't ran into anything that an aggressive pad and compound wasn't able to take care of however some on this forum will tell you that you have to have a rotary buffer to do the job properly. While the rotary will cut much quicker (thus providing results quicker) it may also get you into trouble burning through edges. I've always been of the thought that you use the least damaging process possible to complete a job. Picking the correct tool will depend on the size or the area in question and the degree of refurb required. Based on your post and your current skill level I would feel very comfortable recommending the Porter Cable for this job.

Auto Geek has the entire kit with pads on special for $199 here....

http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html

Add some fiberglass rubbing compound, polishing compound and wax and you should be set to go. This way you'll learn something and still have all the gear to wax and touch up your finish in the future for what you would pay someone once to do for you.

Ironhorse
04-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Definately Ginger!:D

Mary Ann!! There's a dirty girl in there somewhere.:D

jgraham37128
04-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Once they wetsand the transom you'll want the rest of the boat wet sanded too. I would recommend doing it all at the same time. It shouldn't cost a whole lot more either.

ttu
04-02-2013, 09:29 AM

1. What's the best oil?
4. Ginger or Mary Ann?

thank you for the smart a#$ answer!

jmw and bturner2 thank you for giving me good input.

ZachDaddy
04-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Penzoil

Wix

MasterCraft

Ginger....so so sweet Ginger!!