PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Open Bow max. $16000 in Michigan/north Ohio/north Indiana

benihana66
03-31-2013, 02:37 AM
Hi,

I am looking for an open bow MC boat, see thread title.

Needs to be maintained and ready for the water.

Thanks for your time,
Heiko

benihana66
03-31-2013, 01:56 PM
What I should add is: We are only interested in years newer than 1984.

Thanks!

madcityskier
04-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Age shouldn't be a problem. MasterCraft didn't offer open bow boats yet in 1984. Where in Michigan are you? Any particular features or capactiy you're looking for?

benihana66
04-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Hi madcityskier,

I am located in Waterford, that is in the Detroit area.

I think no-wood-stringers, open bow, well maintained, mechanically sound, in that price range are already a lot of features that makes the search difficult enough.

We want to use the boat with 4-6 people for wake-boarding and tubing (two tubes/ 4 people), hence the open bow.
So, if I dream a little about additional features, then I can think of a tower and bimini-top. :D

It will be our first boat and I do not want to drop so much $ just to realize by the end of the summer, that we never had enough time to get on the water (however, I highly doubt that).

We looked at a 89 Tristar, but the hull and upholstery needed too much time and $...

Thanks!

ttu
04-02-2013, 06:48 PM
you should be able to find a nice 205 for that price.

check out only inboards.com for a 205, there are a few not that far from you listed there.

JohnE
04-02-2013, 07:31 PM
you should be able to find a nice 205 for that price.

Agreed, especially one without a tower, sacs, and huge stereo which call all drive up the price. Lot of good 205's for $15K ish.

benihana66
04-02-2013, 07:31 PM
TTU,
like this one?
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1994-Mastercraft-Prostar-205-101889342

I think the price is a little steep for the age and hours on it. What's your opinion?
What are the weak point to look for in these boats?

For $15.700 (pre-tax) a dealer offered us a '97 Maristar with V-drive and 500hrs. It needed work on the hull, though.

ttu
04-02-2013, 07:48 PM
the 205's if they are in good shape seem to hold their value well. a great all around hull.

JohnE
04-02-2013, 08:11 PM
If you want to stay under $10K think Tristar. Made from '86 (I think) till '90 in a 19' and 22' Both of these include swim platform which is molded so that translates to effectively a 17' and 20' boat. Then the 205 comes out in '91 and that is the boat you want (IMO) to look for. You will find them from $10K to $20K in varying condition and with varying options. IMO, spend a few grand on a better kept boat and it will save you in the long run.

88 PS190
04-02-2013, 08:26 PM
You have to make a decision pretty early here what sort of things you want the boat to do.

The early 205 open bow direct drive boats are what you'd want if you plan on skiing and doing other stuff (who doesn't).

Once you start looking V-Drive it just won't be as nice of a ski boat.

878 hours doesn't scare me - but you could view that as a negotiation point on the pricing, it isn't "low hours" but it isn't terribly high either, Michigan has a fairly long ski season, atleast memorial day through labor day - and you can stretch that front and back on some lakes quite a bit.

50+ hours a season is not unreasonable particularly if you trailer to the lake and use it all day, so that 500 hours '97 could become 800 hours in just a few years use.

My read from the lake I've spent the most time on.

Maristars seldom have towers installed, they are usually seen pulling tubes, or kids wobbling around on combo skis while dad drives in a big circle and does no one any favors.

Prostars usually have a skier who gets up and cuts side to side on one ski, or occasionally some people doing other stuff, but also rarely with a tower.

Resale wise I feel like the prostar 205 will always have a buyer looking for a DD ski boat with an open bow for family, they may have to drive from out of state, it may take some haggling to get it sold, but the buyer is there somewhere.

The Maristar I've never felt any draw to the boats, cosmetically or functionally, so I'm sure someone is out there shopping for em, I just always assume it is someone who wants a tube included in the sale.

Jerseydave
04-02-2013, 09:50 PM
I agree with some of the others, a 205 will fit your needs and your budget.
Tristars don't hold their value as well, ride rough from what I hear also.

ttu
04-03-2013, 12:05 PM
hours are good and new interior.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/3677914541.html

Thrall
04-03-2013, 12:11 PM
hours are good and new interior.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/3677914541.html

Here's your boat. Jump on it!
The tower looks nice for being an aftermarket unit.
Looks like it has a decent stero system and depth finder. Plus the appearance of the engine makes me think it was well maintained. 625hrs is low.
It's a good deal if it checks out.

benihana66
04-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Great find! Thanks so much!

It is a bit of a drive, but I will check it out this weekend!

blakekrone
04-03-2013, 03:12 PM
That is a good price on that Indy boat especially with the LT1 and a tower.

Ski-me
04-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Yea, I'd agree on the 96' as a decent boat. Definitely worth checking out. I have the 94' with the LT1 and it's a great engine....you will like it. If you do end up testing it, just watch the temp gauge on it and be sure the engine operates in a working temp window. It has 2 T-Stats but the final temp should be around 160 degrees.

Also, the 96' will have slightly better Wakeboarding Characteristics than the 94' so that should be a bonus for you. The 96' is ever so slightly bigger than the 94' as well. The 91'-95' is the same hull and then in 96' they changed it.....

mzimme
04-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Seeing posts like this really make me realize what a score I made on the '06 supra I picked up for 17.5.

If you look long and hard enough, a deal will pop up. There's an 03 (I think) PS209 for sale on this forum right now for like 17,000 I believe. Has high hours, but if it maintained that will be a great boat for a long time.

ttu
04-03-2013, 08:29 PM
mzimme, how is the 20 ssv coming along? that poor thing was pretty abused!

benehana, one thing I have learned over the years of buying boats is that if there is a clean nice one at a good price you better jump on it or someone else will

with the exception of my x2 all the others that I have purchased have all been 5 hrs or more to make the deal.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-03-2013, 09:18 PM

Tristars don't ride any rougher than a ps190 of the same vintage, actually a little better since it's a little wider and a little deeper v. I've been in some good 2 ft. white caps while uncomfortable it was doable. People love to hate on the red headed step child of mastercraft known as the tristar...As for me I love mine.

JohnE
04-03-2013, 09:51 PM

Tristars hold their resale. They buy and sell for 7-9K and I think they will for a while.

88 PS190
04-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Tristars hold their resale. They buy and sell for 7-9K and I think they will for a while.

The biggest problem I see about tristars is that folks try to use them like wake boats with ballasts and towers. They have a molded in swim step and sloped rear - so folks load them up with ballast, and its a small low riding boat. Gotta be careful how you stop if you don't want to take a wave over the back.

I think that if you are trying to ballast down an old boat the prostars might be safer, just due to the vertical transom.

wheelerd
04-04-2013, 02:51 AM

++ on that

benihana66
04-04-2013, 06:09 PM
The add for the prostar 205 is gone.
:eek:

Looks like the boat is sold and my email remainded the owner to delete it.

The search continues...

jakethebt
04-04-2013, 06:26 PM
You are making me glad I got this 205 out of Detroit last spring. I second that the 205 will be a good all around boat that will hold its value for you. I'm in south west ohio. If you see anything down this way, let me know if I can help in any way.

mlawler34
04-04-2013, 06:34 PM
benihana66 : Try calling Action Water Sports in Fenton. Sometimes what you will find is that boats won't even hit the website when people trade in for new models because they already have someone lined up to buy it. If they know what you are looking for they will call you everytime they have something you may like.

ttu
04-04-2013, 06:41 PM
The add for the prostar 205 is gone.
:eek:

Looks like the boat is sold and my email remainded the owner to delete it.

The search continues...

like I said they go quick!

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/3624247936.html

benihana66
04-04-2013, 07:30 PM
benihana66 : Try calling Action Water Sports in Fenton. Sometimes what you will find is that boats won't even hit the website when people trade in for new models because they already have someone lined up to buy it. If they know what you are looking for they will call you everytime they have something you may like.

Been there last weekend. They only had a v-drive maristar which was a bit above our limit and needed work on the hull + cracks in gel coat (and maybe hull?).
I have the feeling that dealers tend to overprice if you compare prices online...

I will ask them to put us on the waiting list.

jakethebt
04-04-2013, 08:10 PM
like I said they go quick!

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/3624247936.html

ThAt is a nice clean boat! Nice color and signs that they took care of it. Note the foam under the engine cover is new. New stainless throttle knob from skidim. New cup holder on engine vent. Gel has a nice shine. The price is great too. I bet that won't last long this time of year either.

ttu
04-04-2013, 10:05 PM
ThAt is a nice clean boat! Nice color and signs that they took care of it. Note the foam under the engine cover is new. New stainless throttle knob from skidim. New cup holder on engine vent. Gel has a nice shine. The price is great too. I bet that won't last long this time of year either.

this seller took a lot of really good detailed photos.

benihana66
04-04-2013, 10:11 PM
I contacted the seller. Waiting for a reply.

It would be 9h one way...

Thanks so much guys for helping me out here!

ttu
04-05-2013, 09:12 AM
I contacted the seller. Waiting for a reply.

It would be 9h one way...

Thanks so much guys for helping me out here!

you might let us know what you find out. maybe someone on teamtalk lives close to the seller and can take a look at it for you before you make the drive.

mzimme
04-05-2013, 09:33 AM
mzimme, how is the 20 ssv coming along? that poor thing was pretty abused!

Haven't really had a chance to do much to it yet since it's been so cold. Planning to get it out Saturday and clean it up though since we finally have some nice weather.