PDA

View Full Version : 2001 X-Star barn find

FlyZone Costa Rica
03-27-2013, 12:59 AM
Hi all, this is my first post here.
As you can tell from the title, we (2 friends and I) have found an X-Star. It hasn't been used for 5 or 6 years. Just went to check it out. Hull, upholstery and trailer are all in good shape. Electrics and electronics: can't say a thing about it. Engine: shot, I'm afraid.
Here's a couple pics
http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s661/FlyZoneCostaRica/X-Star/SAM_4107_zps226a7375.jpg
http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s661/FlyZoneCostaRica/X-Star/SAM_4092_zps646624c1.jpg
http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s661/FlyZoneCostaRica/X-Star/SAM_4081_zps54ea7c26.jpg

More pictures here. (http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/FlyZoneCostaRica/library/X-Star)

Got a couple questions for now:
- how much is a new engine, and where can I find one?
- it has 310hp. Was 330 an option in 2001? What's the difference between these engines?
- which steering cable should it have (it's missing)?
- it's missing some smaller items (battery, some cup holders, mirror, nav light on bow, ignition switch, hydraulic springs (if that's what they're called, to keep the engine covers open). Do your trained eyes see anything else, anything major that's missing or needs attention?

Just seeing if it's feasible to fix it up/how much to offer. I hope it all works out, and you'll hear much more from me :)

milkmania
03-27-2013, 01:24 AM
are those risers really as cracked as they look?????
:eek::eek3::eek:

galvanized trailer, Costa Rica & sea water? check
does it freeze like that down there?

with the block in that kind of condition, I'd be willing to bet the barn.... you'd probably be going through the tranny too

GoinBoatin
03-27-2013, 01:33 AM
are those risers really as cracked as they look?????
:eek::eek3::eek:

galvanized trailer, Costa Rica & sea water? check
does it freeze like that down there?

with the block in that kind of condition, I'd be willing to bet the barn.... you'd probably be going through the tranny too

Nothing a little JB Weld won't fix.

FlyZone Costa Rica
03-27-2013, 01:37 AM
Yeah it freezes like crazy here, just like in hell. ;)
Any idea what can have caused the risers to crack like that? Either way I guess it's too far gone to fix anyway (notice the bent rod), hence the question about a new engine.

Yes tranny is another thing that bothers me. They say it worked fine when they put it away. People say a lot.

46Chief
03-27-2013, 01:47 AM
At this point it's just a fiberglass hull. I wouldn't give 2k for it

See my 2003 209 restore thread (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52220). Saltwater boats are the devil.

I'm looking at having to buy a repower which means all new engine, fuel injection, accessories and motor mounts For around 8500 on top of that I need to replace all he analog gauges and computer with digital and create a wiring harness and install it. I have not been able to find a salvage motor that will plug and play.

You might look into buying a motor with a carburetor to save some headaches.

The good thing is the hull if it hasn't hit anything, is bomber and probably just needs a buff job.

snork
03-27-2013, 08:30 AM
All I can say is that thing is hosed

02ProstarSammyD
03-27-2013, 08:41 AM
You are looking at a substantial amount of money to fix that thing up. It would be a labor of love for sure but if it was free I doubt you would be upside down in it.

Double D
03-27-2013, 08:52 AM
I have never seen risers cracked like that!! I'm sure salt helped from the inside...

Good luck!

jhall0711
03-27-2013, 08:58 AM
I have never seen risers cracked like that!! I'm sure salt helped from the inside...

Good luck!

And he knows his CRACK.....

aquaman
03-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Basically a hull is all you get.

I would look for something w/fewer major issues.

After you have gone through that boat you will have spent enough to have bought something nicer.

Does that engine look crooked ? motor mounts busted ?

jhall0711
03-27-2013, 09:10 AM
Basically a hull is all you get.

I would look for something w/fewer major issues.

After you have gone through that boat you will have spent enough to have bought something nicer.

Does that engine look crooked ? motor mounts busted ?

I am willing to gamble that options are some what limited in Costa Rica... But yes that is A LOT of work you are getting into and a lot of doll hares aka $$$$$$

JimN
03-27-2013, 09:14 AM
I think it was rode hard, put away wet and screaming, then beaten to death, for good measure. The block looks like it has sand/rust in the passages at the rear of the boat, the risers are toast and some of the push rods are bent, which probably means someone was doing flat spins or something else that was either a lot of fun or really stupid. You can decide which, because it can be hard to distinguish one from the other. Might have picked up a bunch of sand, too- first thing I would do is look into the exhaust flaps and remove the exhaust hoses so you can look into the muffler. It it's packed with sand, you'll have a better idea of why it died.

02ProstarSammyD
03-27-2013, 09:23 AM
Is it bad I want this boat?

drschemel
03-27-2013, 09:40 AM
With the odd assortment of missing parts, I'll bet someone has started to piece this boat out. That is probably the *smartest* thing. You could still get a couple grand selling the trailer and tower. Maybe someone out there needs the windshiled or other odd parts. Problem with trying to bring it back to life is there there just isn't much you could do yourself to save money. Maybe you could find an old inboard to scavange the motor and tranny out of just to get the boat working even if it doesn't have the horsepower that it came with - and then unload it!

Double D
03-27-2013, 09:53 AM

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

bobx1
03-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Salad Bar Project Boat......

Would look good cut up and placed in a Costa Rican resort.

mwg
03-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Is it bad I want this boat?

No.. not at all. I'm with you....

For the right price I would jump at the chance to put that back together. The interior and what I can see of the hull looks decent; better than some I see for sale around here.

FlyZone Costa Rica
03-27-2013, 02:36 PM

Que? :confused:

At this point it's just a fiberglass hull. I wouldn't give 2k for it

See my 2003 209 restore thread (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52220). Saltwater boats are the devil.

I'm looking at having to buy a repower which means all new engine, fuel injection, accessories and motor mounts For around 8500 on top of that I need to replace all he analog gauges and computer with digital and create a wiring harness and install it. I have not been able to find a salvage motor that will plug and play.

You might look into buying a motor with a carburetor to save some headaches.

The good thing is the hull if it hasn't hit anything, is bomber and probably just needs a buff job.

Thanks, that's some good info. Looking at your thread, that looks awfully familiar.

For now I'm just trying to gather some info to see if it's feasible to bring back to life. Like someone posted, options are VERY limited here. Plus keep in mind that boats are about 30% more expensive here than in the US, plus labour is much cheaper, so it might be worth it.

If anyone can give an answer to my initial questions that would help a lot:
- it has 310hp. Was 330 an option in 2001? What's the difference between these engines?
- it's missing some smaller items (battery, some cup holders, mirror, nav light on bow, ignition switch, hydraulic springs (if that's what they're called, to keep the engine covers open). Do your trained eyes see anything else, anything major that's missing or needs attention?

Another one: what are some of your favorite online sources for parts etc?

LYNRDSKYNRD
03-27-2013, 02:39 PM
http://www.skidim.com/

Parts ^^^

Including engines

mwg
03-27-2013, 03:19 PM

Thanks, that's some good info. Looking at your thread, that looks awfully familiar.

For now I'm just trying to gather some info to see if it's feasible to bring back to life. Like someone posted, options are VERY limited here. Plus keep in mind that boats are about 30% more expensive here than in the US, plus labour is much cheaper, so it might be worth it.

http://www.skidim.com/ about $8K
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/mercruiser-scorpion-complete-engine-package-fuel-injection-330hp-inboard-replacement-p-3188.html

about 20HP & Multiport injection

19' Teleflex - about $160

http://www.skidim.com/
http://greatlakesskipper.com/
http://www.waterskis.com/MasterCraft-ProStar-Decal-Complete-Kit-p/mastercraft_boats_ps_decal_all.htm
and of course your local dealer

This may not be applicable for you since you are in Costa Rica

good luck

JimN
03-27-2013, 03:58 PM

The 330HP engine in 2001 was called LTR, but the calibration is very different from the TBI. However, you could have it recalibrated by sending the ECM to Indmar or MasterCraft. You would need the new engine to be extremely similar to the LTR, with the same throttle body, intake manifold, plenum, MAP/Throttle Position sensors, etc. If you really don't need the extra 20 HP and hassle, the TBI is still a very good engine. Not as sexy, but a good engine. You could also check Jasper for a replacement- they would need some information from the existing engine, but they do sell internationally. Here's a link-

http://www.jasperengines.com/contact.php

All of the engines I used that came from Jasper were excellent- ran great and I never saw any problems. Their warranty is better than most, too. It's too bad the GM Performance Parts engines aren't warrantied for marine use- the 350 Ramjet would be a killer.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-27-2013, 04:21 PM
The 330HP engine in 2001 was called LTR, but the calibration is very different from the TBI. However, you could have it recalibrated by sending the ECM to Indmar or MasterCraft. You would need the new engine to be extremely similar to the LTR, with the same throttle body, intake manifold, plenum, MAP/Throttle Position sensors, etc. If you really don't need the extra 20 HP and hassle, the TBI is still a very good engine. Not as sexy, but a good engine. You could also check Jasper for a replacement- they would need some information from the existing engine, but they do sell internationally. Here's a link-

http://www.jasperengines.com/contact.php

All of the engines I used that came from Jasper were excellent- ran great and I never saw any problems. Their warranty is better than most, too. It's too bad the GM Performance Parts engines aren't warrantied for marine use- the 350 Ramjet would be a killer.

Having sold Jasper engines and powertrain products, I can confirm what Jim says about their quality. Definitely on top of the quality level of remanufactured engines. Their facilities are amazingly clean and their employees are treated and paid very well so as to keep them for the long haul. It isn't unusual to find people there for 20-30 years. They really stand behind their warranty, though I'm not certain how that would pertain to products in Costa Rica. Never the cheapest, but always the quality you expect.

FlyZone Costa Rica
03-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Thanks for all the info and links. Skidim is where I usually shop, but it might come handy to have some MC-specific sites.
I'll send Jasper an email right away.
20HP extra might be nice, but it's not worth a lot of hassle. I'll just make sure I have the right prop.

JimN
03-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Having sold Jasper engines and powertrain products, I can confirm what Jim says about their quality. Definitely on top of the quality level of remanufactured engines. Their facilities are amazingly clean and their employees are treated and paid very well so as to keep them for the long haul. It isn't unusual to find people there for 20-30 years. They really stand behind their warranty, though I'm not certain how that would pertain to products in Costa Rica. Never the cheapest, but always the quality you expect.

I took the tour in '99 and was impressed by the plant. They were just getting into re-manufacture of out-drives and marine transmissions at that time and I ordered a few lower units- well done, like the engines. I wasn't too geeked up about the "engine fire" warning buzzer that started going off about the same time we reached 10,000' on the flight down there, but the pilot was in the Air National Guard at the time, flying Apache helicopters, so I wasn't too worried if he wasn't worried.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-27-2013, 05:48 PM
I took the tour in '99 and was impressed by the plant. They were just getting into re-manufacture of out-drives and marine transmissions at that time and I ordered a few lower units- well done, like the engines. I wasn't too geeked up about the "engine fire" warning buzzer that started going off about the same time we reached 10,000' on the flight down there, but the pilot was in the Air National Guard at the time, flying Apache helicopters, so I wasn't too worried if he wasn't worried.

That is an extreme level of going with the flow.

46Chief
03-27-2013, 06:17 PM
As I am finding, with my project, it is close to impossible to find a bolt in replacement that has everything you'll need. The fuel injection is no longer made and there is no replacement parts. That boat will need everything under the hood that's gonna cost you $10,000.00

Indmar sent me to EDM they told me 8500 for a motor but ill have to build a harness or bring it to them in Virginia

CruisinGA
03-27-2013, 06:21 PM
As I am finding, with my project, it is close to impossible to find a bolt in replacement that has everything you'll need. The fuel injection is no longer made and there is no replacement parts. That boat will need everything under the hood that's gonna cost you $10,000.00

Indmar sent me to EDM they told me 8500 for a motor but ill have to build a harness or bring it to them in Virginia

Need to find a wrecked boat!

Might be hard to do though

thatsmrmastercraft
03-27-2013, 06:56 PM
If this were my project, I would be considering throwing in a basic carb and distributor engine. That is the only way I could see this being operational with a reasonable price-tag. Not going to do much for resale, but it would get this boat on the water.

Jerseydave
03-27-2013, 07:04 PM
If this were my project, I would be considering throwing in a basic carb and distributor engine. That is the only way I could see this being operational with a reasonable price-tag. Not going to do much for resale, but it would get this boat on the water.

X2. Even then....engine, trans, steering cable, manifolds, etc. would add up to $10K pretty fast. Then again, if you can buy it for under $3K you could have a working wakeboard boat for under $15K.

FlyZone Costa Rica
03-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Thanks again for all the info.
Finding a wrecked boat with a good engine would be the perfect solution. But indeed what are the odds of finding one..?
This Mercruiser option that was posted http://www.michiganmotorz.com/mercruiser-scorpion-complete-engine-package-fuel-injection-330hp-inboard-replacement-p-3188.html might actually be one of the best options, since Mercruiser does have a dealer in CR. Indmar, PCM, Mastercraft, or anything else inboard-related do not. But still, $8K +shipping+import duties... That's a lot!

Ironhorse
03-27-2013, 07:07 PM
I would walk away and keep looking unless they are really that hard to find.

d2jp
03-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Is that your Defender in the background?

FlyZone Costa Rica
03-27-2013, 07:19 PM
They're easy to find. But you'd have to import it from the USA then. Around here the options are 0. There's 2 boats in this whole country with a good wake; my Nautique 2001 and this X-Star. A 2001 X-Star in good shape goes for around 25K in the US, right? Before you have it on Costa Rican soil you'll have spent another 7-ish K. So, for someone it will be worth it fixing this one up. I just don't have all the money in the world, nor am I looking for an endless project.
If I happen to find an affordable engine somewhere I think I'll go ahead. Otherwise it'll probably sit there for another 5 years. Or 10. Or...

FlyZone Costa Rica
03-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Is that your Defender in the background?

I'd wish. One of many vehicles of the owner of the boat that doesn't get used.

46Chief
03-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Losing the fuel injection and putting a carbed motor on it seems like a reasonable solution. I considered it many times, but want retain as much resale value as possible.

What's the owner think its worth?

CC2MC
03-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Wow. Craziness! Good luck with the rebuild. You will learn a lot about your boat in this long process. Can't say that I envy you though.

skijwr
03-27-2013, 10:55 PM
I just did some quick searching online. fyi Indmar was stock engine back then.
the used engines might be a risk, but priced nicely...
I have no idea if these will fit.

(used) Running Marine Indmar 5.7 liter engine and Alpha drive - $1000
http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/3607236987.html

(used) 300 HP 5.7 L engine Indmar Power Pack Replacement Engine. $1200
http://newhaven.craigslist.org/boa/3677504819.html

351 ford pleasure craft marine motor - $1500
http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/3667295455.html

2001 INDMAR 320 Hp. JASPER Marine Engine 377 cid. Remanufactured $5,463
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321035683813?

new marine engines $6000 $8000 $9000
http://www.marineexhaustmanifolds.com/full-marine-engines.htm

mikeg205
03-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Based on where the boat is parked - some frugal purchases and time will get you on the water...wont be cheap - but +1 on the carbed option.

neil.anderson63
03-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Sé que esto fue un bonito barco a la vez. Será un proyecto fantástico. Amigo ˇBuena suerte!

FlyZone Costa Rica
03-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Losing the fuel injection and putting a carbed motor on it seems like a reasonable solution. I considered it many times, but want retain as much resale value as possible.

What's the owner think its worth?
Yeah kind of my idea too. It's definitely an option, for now I'm still seeing what the other options are. Possibly trying to get the boat for next to nothing, and just wait for the right used engine to pop up. I have a good boat so I am in no hurry.
What the owner thinks it's worth? Supposedly he thinks 10K or a bit less, but he thinks the engine needs just a little bit of work. I don't think the owner has even seen the boat in the last couple years. When I went to see it an employee showed me the boat.

I just did some quick searching online. fyi Indmar was stock engine back then.
the used engines might be a risk, but priced nicely...
I have no idea if these will fit.

(used) Running Marine Indmar 5.7 liter engine and Alpha drive - $1000
http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/3607236987.html

(used) 300 HP 5.7 L engine Indmar Power Pack Replacement Engine. $1200
http://newhaven.craigslist.org/boa/3677504819.html

351 ford pleasure craft marine motor - $1500
http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/3667295455.html

2001 INDMAR 320 Hp. JASPER Marine Engine 377 cid. Remanufactured $5,463
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321035683813?

new marine engines $6000 $8000 $9000
http://www.marineexhaustmanifolds.com/full-marine-engines.htm

Thanks for looking that all up! I don't think THE engine is in there, but it gives a good idea of what's out there.

Sé que esto fue un bonito barco a la vez. Será un proyecto fantástico. Amigo ˇBuena suerte!
Gracias amigo! A ver que pasa.

jakethebt
03-29-2013, 07:05 PM
So with limited options ( almost none) I'm not so sure this is a bad project. The interior looks like it is in good useable shape. When looking at the photos in the link, it looks like all the parts are there. I realize parts here in the us are much easier to find.

This question is for JimN and other smart marine engine people. This boat is basically a small block Chevy. Is there some reason that you could just not get a donor motor and use the existing marine parts? Heck, I would think you could get a junk yard motor out of an old wrecked gm car of the era and build it up. That would help maintain the FI and resale value. How many late 90s caprice, road masters and caddy's are in junk yards there? Maybe even ship one in from the us. Couple that with some skidim risers and other parts...

JimN
03-29-2013, 07:46 PM
So with limited options ( almost none) I'm not so sure this is a bad project. The interior looks like it is in good useable shape. When looking at the photos in the link, it looks like all the parts are there. I realize parts here in the us are much easier to find.

This question is for JimN and other smart marine engine people. This boat is basically a small block Chevy. Is there some reason that you could just not get a donor motor and use the existing marine parts? Heck, I would think you could get a junk yard motor out of an old wrecked gm car of the era and build it up. That would help maintain the FI and resale value. How many late 90s caprice, road masters and caddy's are in junk yards there? Maybe even ship one in from the us. Couple that with some skidim risers and other parts...

The heads and/or block will have a casting number, somewhere. This is usually in hte area of the valves, between two of them and on the block, it's usually on the rear, in the area covered by the housing for the flywheel. If you call Jasper, they'll tell you where to look. I would call them just to get a price AND information on what would work best. If you can find an engine with the same build, it will work in this boat. The exhaust manifolds are definitely toast, but all of the sensors, the throttle body, ECM (as long as it wasn't damaged in the time since it was OK) and all other accessories should be fine.

FlyZone Costa Rica
03-29-2013, 08:14 PM

Hi, thanks. I'm thinking the same thing. Interior, trailer, hull, actually everything apart from the engine is in really good shape. Risers and block are shot, but most external parts seemed to be in good shape too.

The heads and/or block will have a casting number, somewhere. This is usually in hte area of the valves, between two of them and on the block, it's usually on the rear, in the area covered by the housing for the flywheel. If you call Jasper, they'll tell you where to look. I would call them just to get a price AND information on what would work best. If you can find an engine with the same build, it will work in this boat. The exhaust manifolds are definitely toast, but all of the sensors, the throttle body, ECM (as long as it wasn't damaged in the time since it was OK) and all other accessories should be fine.

I sent Jasper an email 2 days ago. I will need to get back to the boat again to check more thoroughly how all the other parts look. And if there's a way to check the transmission (without pulling the engine), to find out in what shape that is.

Thanks for your input everybody!

46Chief
03-29-2013, 09:02 PM
One of the problems I have run into is sourcing an intake manifold. If the boat was ran in saltwater at all, the intake manifold will be corroded and unusable. Indmar has not provided me with a definitive yes or no wether or not I can buy a new intake. w/o the manifold the fuel injection system is useless.

Another problem I have ran into is the transmission. Mine is frozen to my engine and no amount of coaxing has been able to free it. including daily application of rust penetrant, and several wooden wedges driven between the bellhousing and engine block. My motor mounts are also in extremely poor condition, I am not sure if can reuse them either.

In your negotiations on price You would be wise to include a transmission. driveshaft and coupler in your estimate to return it to service.

I would also test the throttle and steering feel most like they will need to have the cables replaced.

How much is your 2001 worth in Costs Rica? I would be tempted to pull the drivetrain from that and put it in the xstar, just to try it out, until you find a suitable repower for it.

I'm thinking a closed cooling system is a must

FlyZone Costa Rica
03-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Thanks again for the input.
It crossed my mind to use the engine from my boat, but I need that boat for my wakeboard school. My boat is also smaller and lighter, I don't think 240hp (or whatever is left of it after 27 years) is enough for the X-Star. It could be a temporary fix, but to go through all that hassle twice... Intake manifold is indeed junk, I find it incredibly strange that Indmar can or will not supply you with a new one.
I won't use the boat on the ocean, I'm very pleased to live close to a fantastic and nearly boat-less lake.
Think we'll contact the owner early next week to see how little he's willing to take for the boat.

JohnE
03-30-2013, 03:36 PM
You need to get that boat for zilch and then restore it. Long term investment. Or buy one and import it for your school and still restore this Star and sell it for profit. Clearly little to no market in costa rica for wakeboard boats if there are only two there.

46Chief
03-30-2013, 11:12 PM
One thing that has kept me from listing my project for sale is I have friends with blasting equipment, so I can clean my parts relatively easy. I think I wouldn't tackle refurbing that boat w/o access to a good hot tank for soaking parts and a glass bead machine.

I'd consider that project if it were only a few thousand and there was no glass damage.

Keep us up to date and maybe spam us with some pics and info from your ski school... I've always wanted to visit CR for a surf camp vacation

skijwr
03-31-2013, 11:32 PM
here is another good condition engine. borrowed the links from 46Chief Prostar 209 thread

2005 5.7 L Indmar Engine with ZF Hurth Transmission for $3000
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130878521909?

and more used engines
http://affordablemarinesd.com/stor/engines-for-sale/

FlyZone Costa Rica
03-31-2013, 11:54 PM
One thing that has kept me from listing my project for sale is I have friends with blasting equipment, so I can clean my parts relatively easy. I think I wouldn't tackle refurbing that boat w/o access to a good hot tank for soaking parts and a glass bead machine.

I'd consider that project if it were only a few thousand and there was no glass damage.

Keep us up to date and maybe spam us with some pics and info from your ski school... I've always wanted to visit CR for a surf camp vacation

I'm now indeed thinking we'll grab it if we can get it for about what the trailer and tower are worth. If the seller wants more, we'll need to thoroughly check it out and calculate all costs, and see if it's worth it.

Whenever you have a chance to come down here do it! You won't regret it, CR is a great place to spend some time. And surf of course. Here's my website www.flyzone-cr.com. I'll throw some pics up later on.

here is another good condition engine. borrowed the links from 46Chief Prostar 209 thread

2005 5.7 L Indmar Engine with ZF Hurth Transmission for $3000
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130878521909?

and more used engines
http://affordablemarinesd.com/stor/engines-for-sale/

Thanks! I already contacted both. Still waiting for a reply from the 2nd link, and have been in touch with the seller of the 2005 engine. Looks like an excellent option, now need to try to work out details with the other guys with whom I'd buy the boat, and try to get the boat before this engine is gone.

XtwentyNot
04-01-2013, 12:37 AM
Oh we can find parts :)
I just want more pics of the running gear and drivetrain. Especially any tags on the v drive etc. as I've been seeing some cheap lately, so cheap I almost bought a spare I didn't need. Hope it works out, just to echo it better be cheap.

46Chief
04-01-2013, 03:19 AM
I was seriously considering that 05 motor, be aware it is not a drop in solution. For a boat as old as the xstar or mine. It has a digital throttle control and you will need to buy a $1000.00 control harness from Mastercraft to make it work. You will also have to buy a set of digital gauges and a new computer to xmit the proper signals, I determined that 3k engine is looking like it will be approaching 5k by the time I buy just the parts and get it shipped to my garage, then comes the challenge of getting the wiring schematics from Indmar, to try and adapt the harness and get everything to play nicely. I'd hate to see what a dealer would charge for all that r&d

Here is the number for EDM give them a call and they can explain what you are up against. They are an indmar sister company. 866-255-9265.

FlyZone Costa Rica
04-01-2013, 02:14 PM
I was going to contact a MC dealer to try to find out exactly what you just told me. Because yes I was hoping I could just drop it in and be over with it. But already feared it would probably not be that easy. Didn't expect it to be so complicated as you describe though.
Thank you very much for the info.

JimN
04-01-2013, 02:39 PM
I was seriously considering that 05 motor, be aware it is not a drop in solution. For a boat as old as the xstar or mine. It has a digital throttle control and you will need to buy a $1000.00 control harness from Mastercraft to make it work. You will also have to buy a set of digital gauges and a new computer to xmit the proper signals, I determined that 3k engine is looking like it will be approaching 5k by the time I buy just the parts and get it shipped to my garage, then comes the challenge of getting the wiring schematics from Indmar, to try and adapt the harness and get everything to play nicely. I'd hate to see what a dealer would charge for all that r&d

Here is the number for EDM give them a call and they can explain what you are up against. They are an indmar sister company. 866-255-9265.

Why replace the ECM when it can be reprogrammed (or, were you referring to the controllers for the gauges?)? As far as gauges, analog work fine- if you don't want digital, don't use them.

46Chief
04-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Why replace the ECM when it can be reprogrammed (or, were you referring to the controllers for the gauges?)? As far as gauges, analog work fine- if you don't want digital, don't use them.

I wasn't referring to the ECM, I was referring to the MMDC. It's my understanding that if your boat has analog gauges then you they will not process the digital signal from the MMDC.

After talking with someone at Barr Marine/EDM and FL Inboards about using a PCM repower. the engines they sell will send analog and digital signals but it will be a trial and error process where you just have to plug it in and pray it works, then troubleshoot and start hanging expensive parts to see if that solves your problem.

I should make a disclaimer in my signature, even though I am a licensed technician and have the skills to keep your turbine engine from killing you, I am just getting my feet wet on modern EFI marine systems and am just relaying you what I think I've learned over the last few months.

02ProstarSammyD
04-03-2013, 01:16 PM
I wasn't referring to the ECM, I was referring to the MMDC. It's my understanding that if your boat has analog gauges then you they will not process the digital signal from the MMDC.

Thats completely right but you wouldn't need it to process through the mmdc. Basically your temp, rpm, etc would all be direct while your other functions would still be through the mmdc. My oil pressure etc is all direct and not using the plugs from the mmdc.

88 PS190
04-03-2013, 02:43 PM
So you jist have regular sending units installed.

JimN
04-03-2013, 06:52 PM

After talking with someone at Barr Marine/EDM and FL Inboards about using a PCM repower. the engines they sell will send analog and digital signals but it will be a trial and error process where you just have to plug it in and pray it works, then troubleshoot and start hanging expensive parts to see if that solves your problem.

I should make a disclaimer in my signature, even though I am a licensed technician and have the skills to keep your turbine engine from killing you, I am just getting my feet wet on modern EFI marine systems and am just relaying you what I think I've learned over the last few months.

That's what I meant when I wrote about not using digital gauges- if it's less expensive/hassle to re-do the digital ones, it may be easier to go with analog. The problem with the digital gauge system is that they're very sensitive to bad grounding. Hoping and praying they'll work is the hassle I'm referring to.

skijwr
04-06-2013, 11:07 PM
hey guys I was looking back at the photos on the 2005 ebay engine, looks like salt corrosion, top view between motor and air filter on top where the MCX logo is. also view salt corrosion on the engine mount feet. yuck.

FlyZone Costa Rica
04-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Hmmm I asked the seller if it ever was used in salt and she said no. But it sure looks like it.

FlyZone Costa Rica
04-07-2013, 08:43 PM
How about a Mercruiser (http://www.copart.com/c2/boat_auction_search_results.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e7s3&lotId=14930683&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS)?

Would have been nice if this was in Florida. Huge hassle to have stuff shipped from the west coast. Or have the engine separated locally and then shipped to CR.
Anyone in Vegas?

romerorrr@yahoo.com
04-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Run don't walk from that thing!!!!

It's an undertaking to redo a moderately decent boat and turn her into a jewel. That thing is a POS that deserves to stay in the barn. It's possibly of greater value as scrap....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thrall
04-14-2013, 11:21 AM
If the prop, shaft and strut are straight and the v drive doesn't have water in it then all you really need is a 350 Chevy engine. Gotta be some 350 s down there?
Of course you're aware of other "small" issues like steering cable and possible elect gremlins but that boat is old enough that it will be serviceable with nothing more than a running drivetrain and some basic wiring.
Given your market there if you can pick it up cheap and can re power it locally you got a diamond in the rough.

46Chief
04-14-2013, 11:40 PM
You have any updates FZCR? I'm curious to see if the owner was selling it for a reasonable price. Not that I'm interested... I'm just thinking misery loves company.

I found a suitable motor for my project and pulled the trigger hoping to have it in the boat in a couple weeks, then the real fun will begin...Wiring it all up to make it work.

FlyZone Costa Rica
04-15-2013, 03:57 PM
46Chief, that's awesome, great to hear. What did you go with?
A couple days ago I found a '98 low hour Mercruiser that might be a good option. Then I had to let the project rest a bit 'cause I just became father of a son!
Today starting to look into it again. We haven't made aan offer yet but I want to do that today or tomorrow. If he doesn't want to let it go for next to nothing all this searching is for nothing.
And then find out which of the 2 posters above you is right; "POS that deserves to stay in the barn" or "diamond in the rough". Probably somewhere in between but I hope (and kind of think) it's leaning towards the positive side.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-15-2013, 04:00 PM
46Chief, that's awesome, great to hear. What did you go with?
A couple days ago I found a '98 low hour Mercruiser that might be a good option. Then I had to let the project rest a bit 'cause I just became father of a son!
Today starting to look into it again. We haven't made aan offer yet but I want to do that today or tomorrow. If he doesn't want to let it go for next to nothing all this searching is for nothing.
And then find out which of the 2 posters above you is right; "POS that deserves to stay in the barn" or "diamond in the rough". Probably somewhere in between but I hope (and kind of think) it's leaning towards the positive side.

Congrats on the son!!!!! Good luck on the offer on the boat.

FlyZone Costa Rica
04-16-2013, 11:07 PM
Thanks! x2 ;)

On the day that the (possibly) perfect solution for the engine pops up on this site, our offer got turned down. The owner says it doesn't need a new engine, the current one can easily be fixed. I wonder if he ever took a look under the sundeck...
He said we should check it out together with a mechanic and then negotiate. I don't think we'll come to a deal as it seems he's thinking he has a perfect boat there, but we'll give it a shot.
Hope that engine is still around if/when we can make a deal.

Either way, thanks for all the support everybody!

46Chief
04-17-2013, 12:05 AM
Bummer he owner is clueless maybe a professional consultation will help your cause

JimN
04-17-2013, 08:31 AM
Thanks! x2 ;)

On the day that the (possibly) perfect solution for the engine pops up on this site, our offer got turned down. The owner says it doesn't need a new engine, the current one can easily be fixed. I wonder if he ever took a look under the sundeck...
He said we should check it out together with a mechanic and then negotiate. I don't think we'll come to a deal as it seems he's thinking he has a perfect boat there, but we'll give it a shot.
Hope that engine is still around if/when we can make a deal.

Either way, thanks for all the support everybody!

Before you commit to that inspection by a mechanic, make sure the owner isn't trying to make you pay half of the cost. if it's a full marine survey, it's not a bad thing to pay half, but that's only if the engine is sound and you're definitely going to buy it.

Have him define 'easily fixed'- is that "easily brought back to new-ish condition" or "easy to get it to run a few times"?

FlyZone Costa Rica
04-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Good advice JimN, thanks.
I'll try to make it there this weekend, so hope to have more news soon.

nickkroupa
04-29-2013, 02:36 PM
Still need parts for the boat? i just bought a 2001 X Star from a salvage site. It was stolen and had parts stripped off. But i think the engine and tranny are fine, just have to hook up the wiring which was all cut. Not sure yet weather i want to fix it or part it out but i should know hopefully in a week if the powertrain is good. Possible silver lining for the both of us.

FlyZone Costa Rica
04-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Hola nickkroupa, thanks for your message.
I see it's been a while since I updated here, so here we go: went there with a friend. Explained to the guy(/employee, not actual owner) why the engine is toast. Offered 3K, and got a phone call 15 minutes later that we'd have it for 3.5k. We'd pay within the next couple days and pick up the boat 6 days later.
3 Days later we find out he "sold" it to someone he owed 10K...
So we're screwed plus that other guy is screwed who believed he got a boat worth 10k. He wasn't pleased when we told him what it's really worth and didn't want to sell for so much below what he 'paid" for it.
So for now the deal is off. Who knows what might happen when the owner gets sick and tired of having that boat on his lot, but for now no X-Star for us.
Thanks everybody for your advice, especially 46Chief, you've been of great help!

thatsmrmastercraft
04-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Hola nickkroupa, thanks for your message.
I see it's been a while since I updated here, so here we go: went there with a friend. Explained to the guy(/employee, not actual owner) why the engine is toast. Offered 3K, and got a phone call 15 minutes later that we'd have it for 3.5k. We'd pay within the next couple days and pick up the boat 6 days later.
3 Days later we find out he "sold" it to someone he owed 10K...
So we're screwed plus that other guy is screwed who believed he got a boat worth 10k. He wasn't pleased when we told him what it's really worth and didn't want to sell for so much below what he 'paid" for it.
So for now the deal is off. Who knows what might happen when the owner gets sick and tired of having that boat on his lot, but for now no X-Star for us.
Thanks everybody for your advice, especially 46Chief, you've been of great help!

What a pain in the arse. You sure did a lot of leg work to turn up with nothing. I guess that's the gamble........I know I have been there before too.