PDA

View Full Version : 94 350 TBI, ticking noise

bret
09-20-2005, 05:27 PM
About every 2nd or third time that I take the boat out, and this happens after skiing about 6-7 different rounds, on the way back to the marina; I hit the no wake buoys and I bring the boat back to neutral and I get a small ticking noise and the boat idles like crap. I can shut off and on once or twice and then it's gone. I have put the screwdriver listening trick to it and sounds like its coming from the valve train on #5 or 7. A number of things come to mind:

1. Lifter sticking
2. valve possibly binding in the guide and rocker making contact noise
3. valve heavily deposited with carbon, could cause the above or be
seperate issue all together.

I put the Sea Foam to it, ran out about 2/3 a tank of gas. The boat had a stumble on a full throttle run and then it seemed like it was absolutely flawless. I made quite a few full throttle runs, bringing the boat to neutral after topping out for a few seconds, and no ticking noise no matter what I did. I even let it cool off while a changed a couple of buoys on the course and tried everything to make it do it tick again - no go.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had replaced a lifter, valve guide or had had any similar ticking noise at any time in the life of their boat and what it was. TIA.

east tx skier
09-20-2005, 06:48 PM
From seafoam's claim, sounds like the carbon deposit could've been it.

pdoppenheim
09-20-2005, 07:06 PM
What is Sea Foam? It sounds like it works, whatever it is.

chico
09-20-2005, 07:32 PM
Bret
I replaced all my lifters last year.It did the same thing yours did.Especialy after a slalom run.been running fine since.

east tx skier
09-21-2005, 11:49 AM

Fuel, oil, and everything else cleaner. Available at NAPA for about 6 bucks. Warm it up. Half a can into the carb or throttle body, half a can into the gas tank. Shut it down for about twenty minutes. Fire it up, drive it like you stole it, blow a James Bond-style smoke screen out the back for a few minutes.

bret
09-23-2005, 12:43 AM
Chico, did you do it or have the dealer do it? If you did it, did you get the parts from SkiDIM, dealer, Jegs, Summitt Racing - I was surfing their catalog and it seems that the lifters were the same from like 92-95 for Chevy engines.

The item that's driving the rocker arm, through the pushrod is the lifter. I guess I can't complain, after 510 hrs of trouble free operation, and I do mean trouble free; of course I stay on top of maintenance.

lakes Rick
09-23-2005, 02:07 AM
My mechanic told me the butterflys, in the throttle body, can open and shut quickly and make this noise with this engine...

bret
09-23-2005, 08:08 AM
True, but when this does it, it idles like $hit, if one valve was not opening enough becasue of a lifter not staying pumped up that's what you'd get.

chico
09-23-2005, 05:58 PM
Bret
I did it myself.got the lifters at a local jobber.I talked to indmar and the tech told me to pull the rocker covers(engine warm)and start it up.the rockers that shoot the oil out the side of the boat are probably the bad ones.anyway there were three that did this so i just replaced them all.some say you shouldn't replace the lifters without changing the cam but in my case I let it idle high for a while to seat them.Runs like a champ now.

bret
09-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Thanks. I agree, a high idle for about 10 minutes should do the trick, just like breaking in a new cam. I mean their just flat hydraulic lifters. I'll put a dab of assembly lube on each before going in the bore.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-24-2005, 12:18 AM
Multi purpose. Almost as many uses as Marvel Mystery Oil. Otherwise known as MMO here in the Midwest.

chico
09-24-2005, 09:28 PM
Bret
don,t forget to set the base timing when your done.you need a code reader to do it.
Make sure the new lifters have two oil holes in them .

bret
09-25-2005, 09:24 AM
Chico, I have a code reader to put the computer into service mode, thanks.

BIGBADBLUE
10-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Bret - Did you end up replacing your lifters or did the sea foam do the trick? My '94 PS205 is doing the same exact thing. I am not "handy" enough to do mine myself ... what would this cost to have done?