PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake

mikeg205
03-24-2013, 07:08 PM
My son brought this up to me... Cold air intake... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-99182

would this do anything to the 350 TBI as an improvement? help me look good in front of this kid.. ;) ... did some searches could not find anything here on the forum...

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
03-24-2013, 07:40 PM
My son brought this up to me... Cold air intake... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-99182

would this do anything to the 350 TBI as an improvement? help me look good in front of this kid.. ;) ... did some searches could not find anything here on the forum...

That specific kit will not help out a 350 tbi, it's made for 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 and 6.2...

Are you looking to modify a chevy truck? You could just to flip the lid on the air cleaner and voila cheap cold air kit.;)

Theclarks1111
03-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Aren't our engines intakes already set up like this?

46Chief
03-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Your boat probably has just a flame arrestor on it, so it already flows more air than any air filter you bolt on to it.

It probably won't, they don't even do much for the cars they are spec'ing them for. It will help you gain some on a motor that you have ported the heads and intake, increased the injector size, increased the compression, and changed the cam profile. For a normally aspirated stock engine it's a waste of money.

In the case of my car they are worse than stock.

Table Rocker
03-24-2013, 09:34 PM
I always understood a cold air intake to be a means of getting cool air to the intake instead of air that has been through the radiator (and possibly a/c condenser coil & aux transmission cooler). Cool air is denser and has the effect of more oxygen per cubic foot of air. A hood scoop that is sealed to the air cleaner housing would be an example of a cold air intake. Most cars have the air intake plumbed to a fender well or behind a headlight to get cool air.

Our boats don't have radiators obviously, so the air being sucked in via the vent hoses shouldn't be too hot. I have seen a motor box scoop on eBay or somewhere, but I doubt it would change performance much. Propping the motor box open a couple of inches would have the same effect.

88 PS190
03-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Your boat also has bow vents of some variety, and stern vents, bet it gets cross flow.

If anything I think the slick thing would be an intercooler, you already pump nice cool lake water through the engine, bet thats cooler than the air most of the year no matter where you live.

A liquid cooled intercooler to your intake would be wicked.

Kyle
03-24-2013, 10:39 PM

I had a '91 Chevy short bed reg cab. I put a throttle body spacer in it. That helped out a LOT. I also added a K&N filter and a superchips chip. You remove the cover to the ECM and plug the chip in and put the cover back on. Extremely easy. I could do a real nice burn out afterwards.

That added lots of cheap costing but very good power.

I upgraded a few years later to a '94 Chevy ext cab with 6" lift and over sized tires. I did the same exact mods to engine and added a set of gears to it. That truck was almost as fast and could boil the tires.

The upside down air cleaner won't do a darn thing for you. James is pulling your leg lol but I will admit I ran my air cleaner upside down but with a K&N filter. (Water will collect on the upside down dish when washing the engine or going mudding and the filter gets dirty fast)

The chip obviously works but the throttle body spacer itemizes the air fuel better. It is very well worth it. I can't say enough about the combo upgrade. It is very good bang for your buck without adding heads, cam, big boy expensive mods.

The spacer kind of compares to this analogy. Take a nitrous kit and install it on a TBI system through the air intake tube. If you put it close to the tbody it will work. Move it back 6"-8" away and that spray will romp the heck out of the system. It has more time to itemize. I had to repair many of DIY systems that came back into the shop bc the system did not work. All I did was move the nozzle away from the tbody.

The spiral cut in the tbody spacer spins the air and fuel so you get not only a better mix but more air. The engine is an air pump. More air is more power.

All I can say is if you spent the cash for a cold air kit vs a chip and spacer then don't expect a big gain. If you dyno by the seat of the pants then spacer and chip will be night and day. The cold air is the last item I would add. Not real noticeable.

Chip and spacer also helped gas mileage too. Although I gave it all back bc my foot got real heavy. :D

Chip prolly $100-$150

Spacer prolly $50 or so.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-24-2013, 11:18 PM
Don't forget the Air Tornado.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjNE2xiD0ZdHRkFolkRMjR0K4FC7CyW mBM4CczedykFMAGVebX

mikeg205
03-25-2013, 12:27 AM
Don't forget the Air Tornado.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjNE2xiD0ZdHRkFolkRMjR0K4FC7CyW mBM4CczedykFMAGVebX

great stuff.... ;)

thanks...

CantRepeat
03-26-2013, 08:19 AM
The Air Tornados are complete garbage. In fact, in most cases they did more harm then good. IE you were better off not having it and by installing it it just made worse power and MPGs.

I have heard good things about TBI spacers. Keep in mind you might have to bend or extend your fuel lines.

One other thing that really helps is bumping up the fuel pressure to around 11 or 12 lbs.

As far as chips go, I'm always suspect of plugin chips. I've heard too many times that when compared to the factory chip they really don't change much of anything. Other then very slight timing changes they seem to not do much. I'm not saying a timing change wont make a difference. Comparing the bin files will tell you a ton and for about the same price of a chip you can get a MOTAS burner and do your own.

In some case they do allow converter lock up and shift point changes. They can also, on some vehicles, correct tire size changes to fix speedo readings.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-26-2013, 08:25 AM
There are all sorts of alleged performance boosters that don't perform up to their advertised claims. The Tornado is at the top of the list. I guess I should have been more clear that it is junk.........coming from people I know, that is just a given.

My apologies to anyone who subsequently ordered one.:rolleyes::D:D

east tx skier
03-26-2013, 09:08 AM
I have a little short stub K&N in an insulated tube on my little VW. Helps with throttle response on my butt dyno and makes a nice growly noise over the low flowing stock air box. I also have a first stage 93 octane tune. While tunes will do a bit on N/A cars, on the turbo cars, they make an enormous difference. I went from 200 hp/209 ft/lbs of torque to 270 hp/300 ft/lbs of torque with just the tune and the intake. This is on a 2.0 4 cylinder. Excellent bang for the buck and my fuel economy bumped up about 2 mpg on the highway (as long as I keep my foot out of it for the most part).

CantRepeat
03-26-2013, 09:16 AM
I have a little short stub K&N in an insulated tube on my little VW. Helps with throttle response on my butt dyno and makes a nice growly noise over the low flowing stock air box. I also have a first stage 93 octane tune. While tunes will do a bit on N/A cars, on the turbo cars, they make an enormous difference. I went from 200 hp/209 ft/lbs of torque to 270 hp/300 ft/lbs of torque with just the tune and the intake. This is on a 2.0 4 cylinder. Excellent bang for the buck and my fuel economy bumped up about 2 mpg on the highway (as long as I keep my foot out of it for the most part).

hehehe, so overall your MPGs went way down? It's hard to keep your foot off of the right side when it sounds and feels goo.

I own stock in air tornados, people buy two per car and stack them for extra performance.

mlawler34
03-26-2013, 09:34 AM
In my experience with intakes i have generally gained a few MPG's on my cars with them, as they are generally less restrictive and pull more cold air.

In my G8, I have a CAI, headers, xpipe, and a custom 91 octane tune, that gives me better MPG if i were to drive like a normal person. But I tend to end up like east tx and cannot keep my foot out of it. Sounds way to nice with all the major factory restrictions removed!!!

1redTA
03-26-2013, 10:45 AM
TBI motors will also like a little extra bit of timing 1-2*, they are torquey engines. my buddy ran his for years with a K&N and the lid flipped over Holley 670 throttle body, jet 6 pack chip, extra pressure in the fuel lines and a manual torque converter lock up long tube headers and 4.10 gears with Auburn posi. The engine had over 420000 miles and never been cracked open

east tx skier
03-26-2013, 11:46 AM
hehehe, so overall your MPGs went way down? It's hard to keep your foot off of the right side when it sounds and feels goo.

I own stock in air tornados, people buy two per car and stack them for extra performance.

Only in the city. :)

The other good news is that the tune removes the 139 mph speed limiter. What a relief that was. Should be able to get about 165 out of her now. ;)

Thrall
03-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Only in the city. :)

The other good news is that the tune removes the 139 mph speed limiter. What a relief that was. Should be able to get about 165 out of her now. ;)

Holy smokes! Gettin a little crazy in your old age Doug!:D

We use to flip kids' air cleaner lids over as a prank. Make them think something was wrong with their car. 'Course that was back in the day when you could open car hoods without getting in the car!

east tx skier
03-26-2013, 05:23 PM
Holy smokes! Gettin a little crazy in your old age Doug!:D

We use to flip kids' air cleaner lids over as a prank. Make them think something was wrong with their car. 'Course that was back in the day when you could open car hoods without getting in the car!

Hopefully the irony of my previous statement carried through. I'm not even approaching the top end on this car ... not even remotely close.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Hopefully the irony of my previous statement carried through. I'm not even approaching the top end on this car ... not even remotely close.

Making a post about speed above the legal limit without a legal disclaimer is so unlike you.............

east tx skier
03-26-2013, 07:17 PM
I thought the winking emoticon was sufficient. :)

JimN
03-26-2013, 07:34 PM
I always understood a cold air intake to be a means of getting cool air to the intake instead of air that has been through the radiator (and possibly a/c condenser coil & aux transmission cooler). Cool air is denser and has the effect of more oxygen per cubic foot of air. A hood scoop that is sealed to the air cleaner housing would be an example of a cold air intake. Most cars have the air intake plumbed to a fender well or behind a headlight to get cool air.

Our boats don't have radiators obviously, so the air being sucked in via the vent hoses shouldn't be too hot. I have seen a motor box scoop on eBay or somewhere, but I doubt it would change performance much. Propping the motor box open a couple of inches would have the same effect.

At any speed above barely moving, the difference in temperature between hot air under the hood and ambient is minimal- at higher speeds, it's negligible.

JimN
03-26-2013, 07:39 PM
I had a '91 Chevy short bed reg cab. I put a throttle body spacer in it. That helped out a LOT. I also added a K&N filter and a superchips chip. You remove the cover to the ECM and plug the chip in and put the cover back on. Extremely easy. I could do a real nice burn out afterwards.

That added lots of cheap costing but very good power.

I upgraded a few years later to a '94 Chevy ext cab with 6" lift and over sized tires. I did the same exact mods to engine and added a set of gears to it. That truck was almost as fast and could boil the tires.

The upside down air cleaner won't do a darn thing for you. James is pulling your leg lol but I will admit I ran my air cleaner upside down but with a K&N filter. (Water will collect on the upside down dish when washing the engine or going mudding and the filter gets dirty fast)

The chip obviously works but the throttle body spacer itemizes the air fuel better. It is very well worth it. I can't say enough about the combo upgrade. It is very good bang for your buck without adding heads, cam, big boy expensive mods.

The spacer kind of compares to this analogy. Take a nitrous kit and install it on a TBI system through the air intake tube. If you put it close to the tbody it will work. Move it back 6"-8" away and that spray will romp the heck out of the system. It has more time to itemize. I had to repair many of DIY systems that came back into the shop bc the system did not work. All I did was move the nozzle away from the tbody.

The spiral cut in the tbody spacer spins the air and fuel so you get not only a better mix but more air. The engine is an air pump. More air is more power.

All I can say is if you spent the cash for a cold air kit vs a chip and spacer then don't expect a big gain. If you dyno by the seat of the pants then spacer and chip will be night and day. The cold air is the last item I would add. Not real noticeable.

Chip and spacer also helped gas mileage too. Although I gave it all back bc my foot got real heavy. :D

Chip prolly $100-$150

Spacer prolly $50 or so.

I just sold a '90 Silverado with the 5.7L TBI. One of the first things I did was remove the baffle in the cold air intake and it was a noticeable change. Added to the K&N, it wasn't bad but the comnflicting info I got about throttle body spacers made me hold off. If I get something like that again, I'll probably do it.

I'm waiting for the fuel line magnets- my Astro is gonna run wild with those! I just know it! Honest! They said they really work!:D

Table Rocker
03-26-2013, 09:56 PM
At any speed above barely moving, the difference in temperature between hot air under the hood and ambient is minimal- at higher speeds, it's negligible.
I bet that is correct. About 300 cubic feet of air per minute being sucked in the intake and sent out the exhaust could keep the heat from building up too much. :)

east tx skier
03-27-2013, 11:48 AM
Stock air intake systems on many vehicles are designed to be quiet. The heat shielding aspect of these intakes is, as Jim mentioned, of minimal importance. What tends to happen is that these intakes and filters offer a less convoluted air flow path and improved flow at the filter.

On my turbo charged car, the heat shielding aspect makes even less sense since the compression at the turbo is going to heat the air up significantly. If I were worried about the heat, an upgraded intercooler would be a better way to go about it. But what the intake does achieve is a straightline path for intake air, which is a noticeable (butt dyno) feel versus the loop-the-loop intake on the stock motor.

I could probably improve it by removing the heat shield and leaving the filter stub there all by its lonesome. But the shield looks pretty cool.

CantRepeat
03-27-2013, 01:13 PM

You don't think the heat from then engine would raise the under hood temp enough to make a bigger difference even while moving? If for no other reason the increase in temp from the air being heated as it passing through the radiator into the engine compartment combined with the engine temp. More airflow at great speeds seem like it would be offset by the increase in exhaust temp passed into the engine compartment as well.

It seems that a lot of cars/trucks have ducted air to the intake which I thought increased HP from the cooler more dense air source.

I could be wrong. I'm just a rocket surgeon after all.

1redTA
03-27-2013, 02:29 PM
The cold air on my 96 TA , not ram air then, would show a big decrease in air inlet temps when moving over LT1 edit programming software. as soon as you got above 5-10 it would just drop even on south Alabama black top in summer

JimN
03-27-2013, 02:56 PM
You don't think the heat from then engine would raise the under hood temp enough to make a bigger difference even while moving? If for no other reason the increase in temp from the air being heated as it passing through the radiator into the engine compartment combined with the engine temp. More airflow at great speeds seem like it would be offset by the increase in exhaust temp passed into the engine compartment as well.

It seems that a lot of cars/trucks have ducted air to the intake which I thought increased HP from the cooler more dense air source.

I could be wrong. I'm just a rocket surgeon after all.

At high speeds, the space under the hood isn't hot- it's very close to ambient temoerature. The only time it's hot is after the engine has been shut off/left to sit or if it only has the fan blowing air around. The engine and everything else is constantly losing heat and when the air is moving fast, it loses a lot of heat. The cooling surface area, coupled with high speed air flow cools extremely effectively.