PDA

View Full Version : Bow hook issue

SKI*MC
03-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Hey guys, last night when I was working on the boat (83 Stars and Stripes) I noticed that the bow hook was a little loose. When I crawled up into the bow I was a little worrie by what I saw. The backing plate for the bow hook was bent and had actually started cutting into the fiberglass. So I straighted the bent backing plate, and I added a longer piece steel to help disperse the pressure. Anyone else think this will work? I didn't want to have to start fiberglassing at the moment, it was enough of a hassle just to crawl into the bow.

SKI*MC
03-24-2013, 12:12 PM
This is with the plate out.

SKI*MC
03-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Sorry, I can only post one pic a time off my phone. This pic is with the original plate straightened back out. The other piece of steel was made into an additional backing plate.

SKI*MC
03-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Last pic. I drilled 2 holes through the bigger piece of steel. I might need a different bow hook with more threads on it, but this is my idea of how to fix this issue right now. Comments? Suggestions?

kyfooter
03-24-2013, 01:27 PM
What about adding a plate right under the bow hook also?

You could also move the new steel plate up a little, and weld a long threaded nut to it, so it accepts the bow hook bolt.

Your plan should work fine as long as you aren't lifting the boat for extended periods of time from the bow.

SKI*MC
03-24-2013, 01:54 PM
I did keep the original plate under the larger plate, it sort of acts like a shim for the larger plate. I really wonder what could have caused this. I have been using a high pole for the past 7 years or so. Or maybe the from 30 years of trailering?

drschemel
03-24-2013, 02:09 PM
I did keep the original plate under the larger plate, it sort of acts like a shim for the larger plate. I really wonder what could have caused this. I have been using a high pole for the past 7 years or so. Or maybe the from 30 years of trailering?

Are your bunks appropriately aligned? The tension on the bow loop should be pretty minimal once the boat is on the trailer. Just enough to keep the boat in place. My trailer has a metal strap that hinges up and has a slot for the bow loop. Then the bow strap really doesn't need any tension, just snug to activate ratchet on the winch. If your boat is not sitting flat on the bunks or the bunks are not straight, your boat might be rocking and putting abnormal pressure on the bow loop.

SKI*MC
03-24-2013, 02:26 PM
The bunks are good. I think might have been caused from over tightening the bow strap. (sometimes i notice how tight my friends will crank the bow down when helping me pull the boat out of water) But then again, could it be from the high pole? I absolutely understand this boat is not really made for wakeboarding, i just never really thought a high pole could do this...

drschemel
03-24-2013, 02:33 PM
The bunks are good. I think might have been caused from over tightening the bow strap. (sometimes i notice how tight my friends will crank the bow down when helping me pull the boat out of water) But then again, could it be from the high pole? I absolutely understand this boat is not really made for wakeboarding, i just never really thought a high pole could do this...

You're using the webbing strap through the bow loop and not hooked to the lifting ring? It doesn't seem like there would be much pressure on the bow loop from that. Probably just over aggressive winching. Try backing trailer deeper into water so the boat floats onto the trailer more easily.

SKI*MC
03-24-2013, 02:43 PM
You're using the webbing strap through the bow loop and not hooked to the lifting ring? It doesn't seem like there would be much pressure on the bow loop from that. Probably just over aggressive winching. Try backing trailer deeper into water so the boat floats onto the trailer more easily.

Yes the high pole strap is looped though the bow hook. The lift ring does nothing but look pretty.

drschemel
03-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Yes the high pole strap is looped though the bow hook. The lift ring does nothing but look pretty.

I have a pretty lifting ring as well! Used it to lift the bow up a little so I could replace the front stops on my trailer recently. I think that is the only time I have found a use for it.
I will try to get a look at the bracket on my boat this week and see if it suffers from a similar stress.

SKI*MC
03-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Does anyone know where i might find a bow hook with longer threads? With the added plate in there i don't have enough threads to get the nut started...

88 PS190
03-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Does the bow eyelet have two nuts that can be loosened from the outside to give you more thread.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Does anyone know where i might find a bow hook with longer threads? With the added plate in there i don't have enough threads to get the nut started...

Extended bow eye on right side of page.

http://catalog.hannaysmarine.com/

SKI*MC
03-24-2013, 09:52 PM
Does the bow eyelet have two nuts that can be loosened from the outside to give you more thread.

yes it does, but i would only be able to get about a quarter inch of thread out of it. Not really enough for me..

SKI*MC
03-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Extended bow eye on right side of page.

http://catalog.hannaysmarine.com/

Thanks for the tip. It looks like one of those might work. I just have to check the measurements on my bow hook.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-24-2013, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the tip. It looks like one of those might work. I just have to check the measurements on my bow hook.

It should do the trick. I have seen that bow eye and it is long. That is the one I plan to use when I replace mine since I have to work through the access hole I made in the interior of the air intake.

tph
03-25-2013, 02:23 AM
My '83 looks a little different. It is a late '83 with the fiberglass stringers...Is yours? Also, I added a brace to use the lifting ring for the extended pylon strap.

SKI*MC
03-25-2013, 12:56 PM
My '83 looks a little different. It is a late '83 with the fiberglass stringers...Is yours? Also, I added a brace to use the lifting ring for the extended pylon strap.

To the best of my knowlegde, the boat is all fiberglass... So you use the lift hook to strap to the high pole?

tph
03-25-2013, 07:17 PM
To the best of my knowlegde, the boat is all fiberglass... So you use the lift hook to strap to the high pole?

Yes, with that brace installed. I don't crank the ratchet too much either?

SKI*MC
03-26-2013, 10:45 PM
just curious... does any one know the actual size of the U bolt? I'm having trouble finding one with long enough threads. I was able to find one... but i'm not sure if its the right size... are U bolts usually measured center to center?

SKI*MC
04-03-2013, 11:22 PM

Is there any chance you have any more pictures of this bracket? I'm gunna end up redoing everything up in the bow. Something like what you have here might not be a bad idea. I also plan on running a backing plate on the u bolt, like in my pictures... just slightly modified. The plate will run the entire length of that fiberglass pad.

tph
04-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Is there any chance you have any more pictures of this bracket? I'm gunna end up redoing everything up in the bow. Something like what you have here might not be a bad idea. I also plan on running a backing plate on the u bolt, like in my pictures... just slightly modified. The plate will run the entire length of that fiberglass pad.

Sure. I'm going to the lake this weekend. I'll get some more pics.

SKI*MC
04-14-2013, 03:14 PM
So I've been doing some work for the past 2 weeks. Here's some pictures of the work that was done. In the first pic, was the bow with all the hardware taken out. I sanded the area and cleaned it up a little. Next one is of a thick new layer of bondo-glass over the old broken pad. The third pic is of a quarter inch thick steel backing plate I made the covers the entire length and width of the new pad. The forth pic is with all the hardware back in all tightened down. I also added a plate to go on top of the lifting ring bracket, I figured it couldn't hurt anything.The last pic is of the outside. A stainless backing plate with a brand new u bolt welded to it. I still have to trim the excess rubber, but I think I can finally cross this project off the list.

mikeg205
04-14-2013, 03:16 PM
So I've been doing some work for the past 2 weeks. Here's some pictures of the work that was done. In the first pic, was the bow with all the hardware taken out. I sanded the area and cleaned it up a little. Next one is of a thick new layer of bondo-glass over the old broken pad. The third pic is of a quarter inch thick steel backing plate I made the covers the entire length and width of the new pad. The forth pic is with all the hardware back in all tightened down. I also added a plate to go on top of the lifting ring bracket, I figured it couldn't hurt anything.The last pic is of the outside. A stainless backing plate with a brand new u bolt welded to it. I still have to trim the excess rubber, but I think I can finally cross this project off the list.

Nice work...

thatsmrmastercraft
04-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Nice work...

Dittos. I wish I had better access to do that nice a job on my '77.

SKI*MC
04-15-2013, 12:00 AM
Dittos. I wish I had better access to do that nice a job on my '77.

I became an expert at slithering in an out of that thing. It gets kinda cozy after a while though :o

thatsmrmastercraft
04-15-2013, 11:09 AM
I became an expert at slithering in an out of that thing. It gets kinda cozy after a while though :o

I bet. I just haven't figured out how to slither through all the foam under my deck.:rolleyes:

tph
04-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Great work. That shouldn't be a problem ever again! If you do decide to brace the lifting ring...here is a picture of the one in my '89 and the one that went into my '83.

SKI*MC
04-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Finished with the bow project today. Trimmed excess rubber and glue from behind the stainless backing plate and hooked up a new bow light. Feels good to have this project crossed off the list :) Just gotta finish the stereo and solve a steering issue (wheel is very hard to turn)... At least this late spring here in WI has given me some extra time with all these projects.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-17-2013, 10:11 PM
Finished with the bow project today. Trimmed excess rubber and glue from behind the stainless backing plate and hooked up a new bow light. Feels good to have this project crossed off the list :) Just gotta finish the stereo and solve a steering issue (wheel is very hard to turn)... At least this late spring here in WI has given me some extra time with all these projects.http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=93363&stc=1&d=1366250222

That turned out great. Is the backing plate stock on your 83?

SKI*MC
04-18-2013, 12:37 PM
That turned out great. Is the backing plate stock on your 83?

No it is not stock. My dad made this after he bought the boat in the 80's. The previous owner had damaged the area around the bow hook. (I have no idea how though...) This is also when my dad added the little plate that pressed into the fiberglass pad on the inside (shown in first pictures) I'm guessing the they had issues with the bow hook loosening up back then.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-18-2013, 12:42 PM
No it is not stock. My dad made this after he bought the boat in the 80's. The previous owner had damaged the area around the bow hook. (I have no idea how though...) This is also when my dad added the little plate that pressed into the fiberglass pad on the inside (shown in first pictures) I'm guessing the they had issues with the bow hook loosening up back then.

He did a heck of a job. That looks fantastic. Mine has a little gel damage and I might be needing to fabricate something similar.