PDA

View Full Version : VDIG depth/h2o temp inop after service??

gts-20
03-20-2013, 04:46 PM
This past Sunday we splashed our '08 214 for the first time after getting it back from having service work done 3 hrs. away @ TSR. After cranking the motor, I noticed the depth and water temp on the VDIG were inoperable. No info at all. Just blank. The boat had been in for its annual service, and to try and find an engine oil leak. The tech was never able to find the source of the oil leak after having the boat for a week, so they went ahead and changed the oil and impellor, and tightened some loose mounting points for the windshield.

Is it possible that the tech could have unplugged something in the bilge, while looking for the oil leak, that could cause the depth/h2o temp to stop working? The air temp, and speedometer work fine, just no depth or water temp.

Everything was working fine when we dropped the boat off @ TSR 2 weeks ago. My fiancÚ and I have called and left several messages trying to get some answers, but haven't received any call backs. I really don't want to have to make the 3hr tow back to TSR to get this fixed.

Any ideas??

CantRepeat
03-20-2013, 04:51 PM
There is round black pick up in the bilge that could have become disconnected. It has both water temp and depth on it.

gts-20
03-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Is that the tranducer marked with "Airmar" on it? I looked at it and it seemed to be connected. Im going back up to the the lake Sat. morning. I'll check it again.

Thank you.

SP Maristar
03-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Same thing for us. Winterized myself. First outing and not working. It has power and the wire going to the puck appears to be potted so no loose connection. PO just had it duct taped to the floor. I removed the old tape, cleaned the area (did not wax!) and retaped in the same location. Thoughts?

TN X-45
03-20-2013, 05:47 PM
That transducer goes bad. Already had to replace mine in my 08. Wasnt cheap.

gts-20
03-20-2013, 05:56 PM
That transducer goes bad. Already had to replace mine in my 08. Wasnt cheap.

I just got off the phone with TSR. They said if the transducer has failed, they will send me one, covered by our 3+3 extended warranty, to install myself. So thankfully I won't have to find out how pricey they really are.

Can anyone tell me how to remove/install one? Is it epoxyed to the hull?

CantRepeat
03-20-2013, 06:10 PM
IIRC, it just screws in and out, hand tight only.

onewheat
03-20-2013, 11:15 PM
I thought the puck was depth and the water temp was in the paddle-wheel assembly? My puck came loose and I still had water temp. I just ground the spot a bit to rough it back up and re-epoxied it back in. I assume you could just knock it loose with a hammer or whatever you can fit in there if it is bad, but I don't think that is where water temp is. It doesn't touch water.