PDA

View Full Version : Stupid injuries

02ProstarSammyD
03-18-2013, 04:52 PM
Anyone wanna share some retarded injuries. I've had some stellar ones and 2 this weekend sparked my memory

Last season: Opened engine cover only to be slammed by a roller to have my hand go thru the belt. That one stung.

3 years ago: Jumped a baby gate to land on a sippy cup and broke my foot down the middle and got a nice sprain out of it. Was bench for 6 weeks of a summer in a boot.

Saturday-Rebuilding my rear bench. Neighbor startled me saying hi and I turned around stepping onto a 4 inch nail through my boot. Thank god for an inch and a half of wood and a half inch of boot sole or that puppy would have reallllllllllllly hurt.

Not so painful sunday. Trigger popped out of staple gun. Had it on my lap and evidently the safety pin on the end doesn't work if the trigger pops off. Shot a staple right into my had. Priceless look on my girls face when I walked into the kitchen asking if she'd pull it out. Didn't hurt a bit but was hysterical for me.

BARE5
03-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Bent over to pick up a tshirt in February 2009. Popped a disc out all the way. After 4 surgeries and enough metal I my back to set off alarms in most stores and airports, ill never bend over again.

TxsRiverRat
03-18-2013, 05:44 PM
1996: While skiing behind my dad’s old Sea Ray (the greatest, fastest ocean capable ski boat ever built), I hit two boats makes at same time went OTF and the ski hit me in the head... Nine stitches and a trip to the Whitesboro emergency room

2003: 1st full season @ MSC, I went OTF skiing at our primary site and the ski whacked me right between the eyes. I had no idea I was that flexible. :D 3 Stiches and a black eye...

2004: Sprained my ankle while I was skiing my 22 off pass at 34 mph because the fin on my ski broke off. I made it to 4 ball – head 1st.

2005 – I had a trailer jack give way amd the trailer landed on my foot, breaking all my toes. I wont the ski club’s Broken Ski Award for it.

2011 and 2012 amd 2013: I am still suffering tennis elbow and undergoing PT for it.

Other injuries 2013: I plead the 5th as I would like to not receive the BSA again. :D

pap
03-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Was in Home depot, decided to pull a couple 2x12x16 footer pressure treated boards off a rack. One dropped a few inches and smashed the tip of my index finger against the metal rack. Real bad (those wet pt boards are heavy!). Blood pouring out everywhere. I was so embarrassed I squeezed it as hard as I could, ran into the restroom and made a paper towel tourinquet. took weeks for that to heal.

Hammering a dead cicada shell on a tree. Put the claw into my forehead on the backswing. Stitches on that one. In my defense I think I was 6 or 7 at the time.

Opened a tennis ball can, somehow managed to slice my pinky finger with the metal edge of the can lid pretty bad, enough to see things I didn't want to see. Poured alcohol on it, wrapped it up tight and hoped for the best.

My grandfather cut the tip of his finger off with a table saw, put turpentine on it, wrapped it up and went back to work, so I guess I come by it naturally. I do own a sawstop, however :)

Broke a rib last year on a slalom ski, I'm an intermediate level skier at best, was showing my kids how to do it. I had signaled my son to increase speed a few times as he started off too slow. I was thinking to myself, hmm, this does seem a bit fast, but it had been years since i was on a ski. After I wiped out, he tells me we were going about 36 or so, which is way faster than -I- need to be going. Lesson learned, be very specific with inexperienced drivers and remember I'm not as young as I used to be.

And of course who hasn't singed off their facial hair at least one time in their lives....

pap
03-18-2013, 06:06 PM
...Shot a staple right into my had...

Ummm, is that NAD or HEAD.

I'm really hoping it's the latter.

GoneBoatN
03-18-2013, 06:10 PM
I shattered 4 molars while snow skiing when I was a 20-something. One was cracked straight through the root. That was an expensive day of skiing.

pmkkdx
03-18-2013, 06:24 PM
I don't have near the time or patience to put a complete list together ... LOL nor do I want to put some of those in written form.

nickespi
03-18-2013, 06:26 PM
This thread is priceless! I have too many to list. In my line of work, if you aren't hurt, you're recovering from something stupid so you can do it again haha.

jenglin
03-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Ruptured my ear drum 3 times barefooting, broke two ribs long distance jumping, and broke my wrist snowmobiling (have a plate and seven screws in there).

Dylan
03-18-2013, 06:45 PM
I'm saving most of these for my novel, which is destined to be an all-time best seller. However probably the most consistent slick move I make is falling at the boat ramp. I never miss an opportunity :-)

madcityskier
03-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Last year in early July my daughter's rear foot came out of the toe plate in some rough water. She's been bothered by it ever since. I kept telling her to ice and stretch it. At the doctors office a couple of weeks ago we were advised that she has an avulsion fracture, and should start physical therapy soon. This week at PT we advised to stop all activities other than stretching until further notcie. Give it about 6 weeks and we'll see if it's getting better, or if they want to discuss surgical options more thourghouly.
FML, though moreso, hers.

mikeg205
03-18-2013, 07:19 PM
about 20 years ago - I sneezed while walking down the stairs... I was between steps, sneezed, and immediately preceding the sneeze I felt a pain in my lower back like I never felt before... dropped to my butt laid on the stairs... when the pain became bearable I was covered in my own sweat...

I wrenched by back - got a spasm - was out for 2 days.. that was the year I discovered muscle relaxers... ahhhhh

it only took a decade of recurring back spasms to finally get someone to tell me about core strength...

On a good note - note spazzed back on over 10 years.... get some shooting pains occasionally so I know there's something up with the disc... so I work the core and it just hurts sometimes... ;)

02ProstarSammyD
03-18-2013, 07:27 PM
that sucked the door closed. I slammed my fingers in the door. I remember every second of the door trying to suck closed over and over again while my senile mother scrambled in her purse for 2 minutes to find her keys. Dumped it all over the parking lot and then finally realized they were in her jacket. Total time with hand slammed in door was prob 4 minutes.

2005 – I had a trailer jack give way amd the trailer landed on my foot, breaking all my toes.

Had a jack give on a jeep putting a lift in. I was under the jeep but ALWAYS place the tires under the body as a backup measure. Think I had one tiny bruise but was more butt hurt that I was stuck under the jeep for 30 minutes before my wife got home from the store. I was even more butt hurt when I realized she didn't know how to use a jack.

TN Barefooter
03-18-2013, 07:31 PM
This winter we had an ice storm, well I just had to see how bad it really was. With coffee cup in hand I walked to our drive way which sits on a slight slope and managed to slip and fall. I poured the whole cup of coffee on me and bruised my knee. What hurt most was the fact that my 19 year old daughter saw the whole thing and couldn't help due to her laughing so hard.

More stupid stories to follow.

2RLAKE
03-19-2013, 12:08 PM
long list for me ...

wood auger bit into the finger ... stitches
snow mobile crash ... partial herniated disk
jumping off my neighbor's dock roof for a flying barefoot start ... severely cut big toe ... stitches
shooting a nail into your finger ... that hurts by the way ...
left a hammer in the roof trusses, heard it fall and looked up ... yep ... used duct tape to pull that gash in my forehead together

mzimme
03-19-2013, 12:16 PM
I dislocated my finger playing kickball.... $1800 dollars later I realized I could have just popped that sucker back in place myself. Live and learn!

Willski
03-19-2013, 12:20 PM
long list for me ...

jumping off my neighbor's dock roof for a flying barefoot start ... severely cut big toe ... stitches
left a hammer in the roof trusses, heard it fall and looked up ... yep ... used duct tape to pull that gash in my forehead together

I'm always setting my hammer on the top of the ladder.....not a good idea, but haven't been seriously injured by it yet!

TxsRiverRat
03-19-2013, 12:21 PM
long list for me ...

You need to move to DFW and join our club - you'd be a shoe in for the club's Broken Ski Award!

LOL

milkmania
03-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Had a jack give on a jeep putting a lift in. I was under the jeep but ALWAYS place the tires under the body as a backup measure. Think I had one tiny bruise but was more butt hurt that I was stuck under the jeep for 30 minutes before my wife got home from the store. I was even more butt hurt when I realized she didn't know how to use a jack.

did that with a Lincoln town car....but I had enough sense to keep my cell phone nearby... BUT, I did not have enough sense to keep it within a foot of my reach:rolleyes:

can't say that I crawled away from that one unscratched:(

dvsone79
03-19-2013, 01:12 PM
When I was stationed in Guam, I was swinging off a rope swing over the only pond on the island,and thought it would be fun to get inverted as I swung out and then dive in. I was successful at that about a dozen times over multiple visits, but it only took one time of hanging on to the rope too long, and diving into a 4' section during the back-swing. It wouldn't have been that bad, except that pond was formed from coral, not mud or sand. I scared off some potential first-timers when I came out of the water with my face covered in blood. It nearly knocked me out, and definitely contorted my neck and spine. I'm lucky it wasn't 3' or less, or it could have been much worse.

pmikler
03-19-2013, 04:42 PM
12 or 13 and decided it would be cool to take my pocket knife and stab into a bulls eye on a dart board- didnt hold the knife tight enough and slide my hands down the blade. My pinky took it the worse cutting all the way to the bone and severing the tendon. Now only the first joint bends. So stupid....

2RLAKE
03-20-2013, 03:05 PM
I'm always setting my hammer on the top of the ladder.....not a good idea, but haven't been seriously injured by it yet!

oh yeah ... i had one of those fall on me

2RLAKE
03-20-2013, 03:12 PM
did that with a Lincoln town car....but I had enough sense to keep my cell phone nearby... BUT, I did not have enough sense to keep it within a foot of my reach:rolleyes:

can't say that I crawled away from that one unscratched:(

well i will share a near miss. I was changing oil on my corvette ... front wheels on ramps but the oil drain plug is on the front of the oil pan so what do you do ... jack up the rear ... i should have used jack stands on the rear ...

The oil filter would not come off so i was yanking it hard ... hard enough for the car to roll back down the ramp ... luckily my cat like reflexes allowed me to roll out of the way before i got squashed ... as the oil bucket did. So there goes the car now rolling out of the garage, back end up on the jack (yes i was stupid and did not use the jackstands that i had to move out of the way to get to the jack) and did i mention the smashed oil bucket ... so there is now 5+ quarts of oil all over the garage floor

Besides humiliating myself (wife and kids came running as i was yelling) i did save $20 on that oil change!

swatguy
04-02-2013, 01:32 AM
I got one funny one and one not so funny one .

Tossed out of a car at around 50-70 mph in a drug deal gone bad and run completely over by the car ......still here to tell the story:) so I am all good. Tore up my shoulder pretty, good fractured some teeth, had crazy road rash and tire marks imprinted in my shins from the bad guys Mercedes S500. Talk about a crazy ride. He is currently in prison for 23yrs for attempt murder to a police officer.

Last year at Disney I was in the "surf wave" pool at Typhoon Lagoon. Didn't realize it was a surf wave pool originally. We got there when park opened. First time there. Have my 7 and 5 yr old girls with me in each arm. They wanna go to the front since they have been in a ton of wave pools already. We are just thinking normal wave pool. Well I hear the bell ring, alarm go off and a WOOOOSH! that sounded like a freight train and here comes a huge I would say 6-8ft surf wave right at us while they are in their innertubes. I freak try and grab them wave hits me and I apparently suffer a double sports hernia doung the splits on the bottom holding on to them. Off for surgery. Their smiles were worth every minute of surgery tho. They loved it

02ProstarSammyD
06-17-2013, 10:16 AM
new one.........worked on the garage all weekend. went to close the door manually and got my finger stuck between 2 panels. Door went all the way down (1000lb 87' wood door). took 13 shots on lidocaine and a dozen stitches.

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s521/williamburell/IMG-20130616-00406_zps3b287947.jpg

mbeach
06-17-2013, 09:29 PM
in college, we were punching holes in drywall with our fists, you know a mancho thing. all was going well untill i hit a wall stud by mistake. popped the 5th metacarpal through the skin. have not punched walls since.

Aric'sX15
06-17-2013, 09:33 PM
long list for me ...

HAHAHA im in a college class and that made me bust out laughing!!

JimN
06-17-2013, 09:41 PM
I used to wonder what it feels like to nick a finger with a router bit. As of February 2003, I don't have to wonder. Left index fingertip, meet brand new tongue bit from my tongue & groove set.

It didn't hurt- it flicked it and the fingertip was numb.

hondaprlud
06-17-2013, 11:01 PM
Shook hands with my snowblower.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-S4

Traxx822
06-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Shook hands with my snowblower.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-S4

Ewwwwwwewww

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

CantRepeat
06-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Dropped a 16 inch steel wheel on it. Split it right down the middle.

Traxx822
06-18-2013, 09:53 AM
Ok, since this is stupid injuries and not just a gore contest I'll put up something that happened yesterday.

While Surfing (MikeG driving my boat) I got this nasty rash when I fell onto the rope and it wrapped around my arm.

I'm not going to lie, I thought my arm was going to be torn off with the way Mike power turns his way back to me. Its the ballast. It makes him nervous :)

ctjahn
06-18-2013, 10:12 AM
After remodeling the whole kitchen; 3 month project - gut job to the studs, using oodles of power tools, hammers, heavy lifting, saws, tile saw, etc, etc, etc.... (dishwasher wasnt done - punchline coming); planning on installing the next day.

I was manually washing dishes, plate broke, cut my little finger to the bone at the knuckle nearest to your hand (including 1 full cut tendon, and one 1/2 cut tendon)... While contiplating if I needed to go to the ER, I moved my hand, saw white, and told my wife we gotta go... Surgury, stiches, Rehab, yada, yada, yada....

what a waste of money....

blakehardesty
10-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Just a reminder fellas................ Take off all jewelry when attending to a battery. I grounded my watch to the positive terminal. It got HOT quickly!

thatsmrmastercraft
10-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Ouch!

scott023
10-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Cripes, that's brutal. I've noted this to memory bank.

BARE5
10-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Bending over to pu a tshirt at 5am in 2009. Bent knees, stood up and blew out 2 disks . Rods and screws, plates an a wire attached to a battery now in my back. That's stupid . Never ever had a back ache or a back problem ever

scott023
10-17-2013, 03:30 PM
That's unbelievable. I can't imagine that. Must've been excruciatingly painful.

mikeg205
10-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Bending over to pu a tshirt at 5am in 2009. Bent knees, stood up and blew out 2 disks . Rods and screws, plates an a wire attached to a battery now in my back. That's stupid . Never ever had a back ache or a back problem ever

note to self - don't bend over at 5am... so sorry for all these injuries