PDA

View Full Version : tristar resurrection

drschemel
03-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Here's a teaser. Hull has been buffed, new decals applied, new carpet. Now waiting for upholstry to return from Viper before the beast returns to life!
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=802&pictureid=5033

thatsmrmastercraft
03-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Is the tennis ball there to protect the freshly polished surface, or does it reside there all the time?

Tristarboarder
03-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Oh I feel teased....more pics please, I am partial to those Tristars :)
Can't wait to see it done, carpet looks great!

StudLEE
03-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Definitely interested in the finished product! Can't wait to see more pics! I'm curious as to what route you went with the interior, a 'new school' design, or kept it original.. I'm also curious as to if you did anything different to those ugly, cheap cup holders we have!?.

drschemel
03-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Is the tennis ball there to protect the freshly polished surface, or does it reside there all the time?

tennis ball just there to protect cover until motor box returns. Although I kinda like it, might just keep it up there!

thatsmrmastercraft
03-18-2013, 01:20 PM
tennis ball just there to protect cover until motor box returns. Although I kinda like it, might just keep it up there!

I had to ask.....you know how it is.:rolleyes:

MikeyOrange88
03-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Just finishing up a carpet install as well on my Tristar. Having an issue getting the removable center panels back into their openings. Wondering if you had any similar issues? The new carpet is wrapped around the edges and glued to the bottom side and the openings have the carpet turned down one inch into the opening. Same way the original carpet came out. I used Corinthian carpet, 22 oz. (slightly heavier than original?) so I figured it would be snug. But the forward panel I had to force into the opening and it still is not down flush all the way and it is bowed in the middle due to forcing into the opening using a hammer and wood block. Dang that thing is tight.

If you did the carpet yourself, what weight carpet did you use? I thought I read all of the carpet/rehab posts but didn't see that issue come up before. Like the dark gray you used though. I went with a gray patterned carpet in lieu of the original dark navy blue that came out.

drschemel
03-18-2013, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=
If you did the carpet yourself, what weight carpet did you use? I thought I read all of the carpet/rehab posts but didn't see that issue come up before. Like the dark gray you used though. I went with a gray patterned carpet in lieu of the original dark navy blue that came out.[/QUOTE]

Wish I could help you but a local boat shop was needing some business so I let them do it. The carpet was a heavy grade - came from a local bass boat manufacturer (Bass Cat) and he did get it onto the seams somehow. We only actually removed the middle panel behind the motor. With the closed bow, the front panels are nearly impossible to get out! Pretty obvious that MasterCraft put the carpet in before they put the top of the boat on. Dark grey was original on my boat, we matched the carpet that is in the bow storage.

MikeyOrange88
03-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Okay, thanks for the reply. Might have been a good decision to let someone else do it. It has been time consuming, although not too difficult. And I've read where the forward floor panels are difficult to remove on the walk-through models. On the closed bow that I have the panel removal was comparatively easy.

wheelerd
03-19-2013, 03:06 AM
Just finishing up a carpet install as well on my Tristar. Having an issue getting the removable center panels back into their openings. Wondering if you had any similar issues? The new carpet is wrapped around the edges and glued to the bottom side and the openings have the carpet turned down one inch into the opening. Same way the original carpet came out. I used Corinthian carpet, 22 oz. (slightly heavier than original?) so I figured it would be snug. But the forward panel I had to force into the opening and it still is not down flush all the way and it is bowed in the middle due to forcing into the opening using a hammer and wood block. Dang that thing is tight.

If you did the carpet yourself, what weight carpet did you use? I thought I read all of the carpet/rehab posts but didn't see that issue come up before. Like the dark gray you used though. I went with a gray patterned carpet in lieu of the original dark navy blue that came out.

I redid my TriStar carpet although not as heavy weight as yours. As I recall I used soapy water or maybe KY on the edges of the panel. They slid in quite easily. (OK, OK, no jokes needed! :D)

MikeyOrange88
03-19-2013, 08:54 AM
I'm going to try that idea as I still have two more panels to put back in place. I wanted to water test the connection of the last exhaust hose at the transom, which I did this past weekend. Still have a small drip on one of them that I need to get to. Thanks.