PDA

View Full Version : X55

Astepatatime
03-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Hello all, newb to MC and TT here!

I'm looking very closely at purchasing a new X55. We currently have a fairly new deckboat (24'6") and last year really started getting into watersports. We started wakeboarding (myself, wife, and 12 yo son), and they both want to be able to surf. When out on the lake, we probably spend 50-60% of the time just cruising, the rest with watersports. Half the time it's just the 3 of us, so the 55 will be huge, but half the time we have 1 or 2 other families with us. Plus my wife likes the room.

I've scoured the forum for as many X55 posts as I can find. So just a few questions:

- Everyone says more engine is better....but in your opinion, is the upgrade from 6.0L to 7.4L worth it? (roughly $10k). And will help it on resale/trade in, in the future?

- I'm sold on the quality of MC and like the boat. I haven't been able to test drive it and won't before I make a commitment (long story there). I recognize that while both boats are large and heavy, they'll handle quite differently. But with as much cruising as we do, will we enjoy the X55 for that? Our lake is mild to moderate chop (on weekends).

Any other considerations in making the change? I'm probably just working to get peace of mind on making this big a purchase commitment.

Thanks in advance!

Aric'sX15
03-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Here is a good bit of information on the x55!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52960

jafo9
03-14-2013, 02:07 PM
welcome, and congrats on your upcoming purchase. what lake are you on?

jdl xstar
03-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Going from your current deck boat to an x55 will be like going from a ford explorer to a range rover and you will feel the huge difference the very moment you accelerate for the first time. That type of boat will make you feel like the king of your lake for sure! It wont have the top end speed of a conventional I/O but you will make up for it in hole shot and general handling. Handling chop should be mostly similar with the edge going to the x55 due to its heavier weight. Surfing and wakeboarding will be exponentially better behind the x55 than your current boat. Bottom line, you are going to love that thing and you will appreciate it even more since you are coming from an I/O and its a big difference.

For how you describe your boating, I say the 7.4 option isn't worth the 10k extra for your needs. It doesn't sound like you'll be overweighting the boat to create some monster surf wave so you won't necessarily need the higher hp. And a simple prop change can give you some low end to take on any amount of weight.

Good luck with the purchase. Share pics when you get to that point.

Astepatatime
03-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Going from your current deck boat to an x55 will be like going from a ford explorer to a range rover and you will feel the huge difference the very moment you accelerate for the first time. That type of boat will make you feel like the king of your lake for sure! It wont have the top end speed of a conventional I/O but you will make up for it in hole shot and general handling. Handling chop should be mostly similar with the edge going to the x55 due to its heavier weight. Surfing and wakeboarding will be exponentially better behind the x55 than your current boat. Bottom line, you are going to love that thing and you will appreciate it even more since you are coming from an I/O and its a big difference.

For how you describe your boating, I say the 7.4 option isn't worth the 10k extra for your needs. It doesn't sound like you'll be overweighting the boat to create some monster surf wave so you won't necessarily need the higher hp. And a simple prop change can give you some low end to take on any amount of weight.

Good luck with the purchase. Share pics when you get to that point.

Thanks JDL. On the top end speed, yeah, I know that's the tradeoff for the hole shot torque. But I rarely went above 40mph anyways, so no big deal for me there. They are both about the same weight (over 5k pounds), so it'd be interesting to see how the handling changes in rougher water. I do like the idea of getting on plane so easy vs the IO.

On the 7.4L, do you think it helps resale? i.e, would be more attractive to a trade-in or buyer to have those 500+ horses?

jdl xstar
03-14-2013, 06:56 PM
On the 7.4L, do you think it helps resale? i.e, would be more attractive to a trade-in or buyer to have those 500+ horses?

It would help resale for sure if its sitting next to a similar condition and hours boat with a smaller engine... but I for one might go with a smaller engine with fewer hours over a bigger with more hours. Trade in... same thing. So its really hard to quantify the effect on resale for boats with bigger engines. You don;t want to have regrets after you spend that much so just go with what you are most comfortable with. The 7.4 would be fun to have but from a necesssity stand point, you probably don't need it.

MattsCraft
03-14-2013, 08:39 PM
If you can afford an X55, don't look back, get the 7.4 and never look back:D Drove one with it, priceless IMHO;)

JohnE
03-14-2013, 08:43 PM
The only reason not to get the bigger engine is initial cost, IMO. Get it you won't regret it. X55 SS is a dream of mine. (along with a dd for skiing)

Huskie05
03-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Hello all, newb to MC and TT here!

I'm looking very closely at purchasing a new X55. We currently have a fairly new deckboat (24'6") and last year really started getting into watersports. We started wakeboarding (myself, wife, and 12 yo son), and they both want to be able to surf. When out on the lake, we probably spend 50-60% of the time just cruising, the rest with watersports. Half the time it's just the 3 of us, so the 55 will be huge, but half the time we have 1 or 2 other families with us. Plus my wife likes the room.

I've scoured the forum for as many X55 posts as I can find. So just a few questions:

- Everyone says more engine is better....but in your opinion, is the upgrade from 6.0L to 7.4L worth it? (roughly $10k). And will help it on resale/trade in, in the future?

- I'm sold on the quality of MC and like the boat. I haven't been able to test drive it and won't before I make a commitment (long story there). I recognize that while both boats are large and heavy, they'll handle quite differently. But with as much cruising as we do, will we enjoy the X55 for that? Our lake is mild to moderate chop (on weekends).

Any other considerations in making the change? I'm probably just working to get peace of mind on making this big a purchase commitment.

Thanks in advance!

You are looking at the right boat. Youíre saying the same things we did 2 years ago, we ended up buying the X55, and we LOVE IT! We have the CTSV engine, supercharged V8. We love to wakeboard and surfing has been awesome. We got ours loaded, almost every option and it runs and performs as advertised. The 55 gives you room to take two other families, gear, and the kitchen sink. The build quality of MC is unreal, solid as they come. You wonít go wrong with a MC, the X45 might be a great option as well, others seem to think they donít do as well in the chop or bad weather. We have had our 55 in weather that boats were headed out of the water, I mean some bad weather, it did great.

Good luck go get it!

Huskie05
03-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Thanks JDL. On the top end speed, yeah, I know that's the tradeoff for the hole shot torque. But I rarely went above 40mph anyways, so no big deal for me there. They are both about the same weight (over 5k pounds), so it'd be interesting to see how the handling changes in rougher water. I do like the idea of getting on plane so easy vs the IO.

No replacement for displacement! Our 55 has 556 horsepower, has better fuel efficiency than our last boat which was a 24 Maxum with the 6.2 liter engine. When you have your MC weighted down with people and gear, plus have the ballast filled and extra sacks for big surf, you will be very happy to have the Horses!

BMcD
03-14-2013, 11:25 PM
No replacement for displacement! Our 55 has 556 horsepower, has better fuel efficiency than our last boat which was a 24 Maxum with the 6.2 liter engine. When you have your MC weighted down with people and gear, plus have the ballast filled and extra sacks for big surf, you will be very happy to have the Horses!

I'm going to go ahead and pile on here. We have an X-45 with the 8.1L engine. You know what question I have never asked myself: "What if I would have bought one with a smaller engine?" Seriously though, with a fuel capacity of 90 gallons and stock ballast of approximately 2000#, even without two extra families or additional ballast you have a lot of mass to move. No matter what the situation, number of friends, amount of gear, load for watersports, altitude of lake, condition of weather, I know that it's not a lack of power that will disappoint my day.

MCs are great boats. We run ours year 'round in all kinds of conditions in the NW and have never been let down or driven off the lake.

Welcome to the family :)

KahunaCraft
03-15-2013, 05:58 AM
I've read a lot of posts on the 6.0, my profile pic, and have yet to read a bad review or someone that is looking for more power. That said, I think resale with the 7.4L will be much better.

This forum is the cheapest occasion you will have to question your desire for more power. The fact you're questioning it here is great, it isn't an easy decision to part with 10 grand, but you don't want that question to surface post purchase.

If it were my choice, 10 times out of 10, I'd go with that 454 7.4 litre monster. My next boat might be an X45 or X55 and I'll demand that engine as part of the upgrade.

Astepatatime
03-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the helpful and re-assuring input. So I just finished pulling the trigger...ordered a 2013 X55 with the 7.4L Ilmor. This thing is loaded up and has most of the few options available. Don't have a good image yet, but the color scheme is:
- Exterior- front and bottom hull black, red flake for the slide, and white for back hull & transom, black x55 logo on it. going to look a lot like this X35 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150709870831379&set=a.377100471378.160752.66960306378&type=1&theater

- Interior - combinations of light grey, darker grey, and black, with red for the welt.

Now to wait..delivery in early to mid May.

Woohoo!

corey
03-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Congrats!!! The X55 is an awesome boat, you guys are going to have a lot of great summers!

thatsmrmastercraft
03-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Very cool. Can't go wrong with red flake.

KahunaCraft
03-15-2013, 07:19 PM
Nice work, great choice. No disappointments or 2nd guessing. Ask your dealer to get build pics.

BMcD
03-15-2013, 11:49 PM
Great choice, I'm excited for you. Once again, welcome to the family.

If you would like a matching, custom built wakesurfer for a very reasonable price, drop us a line :)

https://vimeo.com/45581964

Bryce
Day1 Wake (http://www.liveday1.com)
bmcdonald@day1wake.com