PDA

View Full Version : Looking for impeller vanes ?

André
09-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Happened Friday night and i replaced it today.Took every hoses off and the thermostat to check for rubber pieces.Also drained the manifolds and all i was able to find was a tiny bit half the size of a dime. :confused:
I skied after it happenned on friday and just came back from sking again (Made my 28 :dance: ) and everything is fine with the temp .
Is it possible that everything went through the engine or should i also drain the block by the plug and knock sensor ?
This is a 100 hrs impeller ...but install at winterizing.Installing the new one,i realise that those rubber blades are really bend and maybe i should install the new impeller at the beginning of the season instead... :twocents:

dog paw
09-18-2005, 09:33 PM
The one time my raw water pump bit the dust I found the bulk of the impeller blades in the thermostat housing. I never found them all and it has never gave me any trouble.

ramjet
09-19-2005, 01:03 AM
did you look in the raw water hose. when my impeller went i found most of it in the raw water hose.....good luck

stumbledog
09-19-2005, 06:33 AM
The one I just replaced looked worse that. I took all the hoses off, including the thermostat, but found nothing. No problem when I went out yesterday. I am hoping everything ran straight through.

Hoff1
09-19-2005, 07:57 AM
One thing you could do is to temporarily remove the thermostat and then run the engine for a while. I would think the pieces of rubber would have a hard time getting through the thermostat. This would help to flush the engine.

I ran my boat without a thermostat for a couple of seasons unknowingly due to the previous owner had removed it. Didn’t have any leaks on the housing, even without a gasket.

erkoehler
09-19-2005, 08:15 AM
After all these years, you were still replacing them in the winter???? :mad:

east tx skier
09-19-2005, 10:57 AM
Yeah, Andre. Gotta do it at the beginning of the season. Leaving it in there all winter isn't the ticket.

When my father-in-law lost his (having not replaced ... ever), lots of it was in or before the thermostat. Some back flushing got it all out. Past that, we can only surmise that it got shot out the back. After the new impeller, it has been on 160 solid.