PDA

View Full Version : Proper install of impeller

davidstan
03-13-2013, 07:18 AM
Will install my first water pump impeller this wknd and wondered if you are supposed to lube the threads of the impeller before slipping on. Deinstalling the last impeller was very hard being a v drive and seemed to be stuck but finally got it off.

starman205
03-13-2013, 07:27 AM
I don't lube the metal spline but i do lube the fins of the propeller with liquid dish soap. :)

mikeg205
03-13-2013, 10:01 AM
I put a little synthetic grease on spline and soap on impeller blades - impeller come off very easy... regular inspection also keeps it from locking onto the spline.

GoneBoatN
03-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Will install my first water pump impeller this wknd and wondered if you are supposed to lube the threads of the impeller before slipping on. Deinstalling the last impeller was very hard being a v drive and seemed to be stuck but finally got it off.

This comes up several times during the winterization time. It's most likely the vanes stuck to the sides of the housing after sitting for a while that is making the impeller difficult to remove. Easiest way is to remove the cover and then apply some watered down dish soap. I keep some is a little spray bottle. Spray some onto the exposed impeller and then bump the starter a couple of times. Most likely at that point the impeller will be ever so slightly on its way out. Then just grab it with something and pull. Since I have a v-drive with little clearance behind the pump housing I use this - http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=717788&postcount=2.

As far as lubricating when putting in the new one, from another source:

lubricate the pump housing and the inside of the cover with a little glycerin.
IMPORTANT! The impeller will be damaged if other types of lubricant than glycerin is used

Typically you get a little package of glycerin with the new impeller.

Snipe
03-13-2013, 12:07 PM
That's a great idea. I'll make one for myself too.:banana::toast::banana::toast:

mikeg205
03-13-2013, 12:29 PM
you can also get glycerin from walmart for a few bucks...

east tx skier
03-13-2013, 09:19 PM
you can also get glycerin from walmart for a few bucks...

Just hit it with some KY or Astroglide.

/seriously

88 PS190
03-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Make sure its water based...

/gross.

coz
03-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Just hit her with some KY or Astroglide.

/seriously

Fixed it for you eastie, boats are feminine.....right? :D

davidstan
03-14-2013, 06:57 AM
Fixed it for you eastie, boats are feminine.....right? :D

:D :D :cool:

CantRepeat
03-14-2013, 07:21 AM
For an easier install, take a large zip tie and compress the fins in the same direction. Spray the impeller with some mixed up dish soap. Once you have the impeller started click the zip tie and slide it in.

For uninstall spray the impeller with the dish soap and turn the motor over a couple of turns. I use needle nose vise grips and grab the impeller at the brass part and wiggle it out. Yes, I have a Vdrive and it can be a pain.