PDA

View Full Version : Wife said I could buy a boat :)

98 Saleen Cobra
03-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Well after much debate and talking it over with the wife she said that I can buy a boat before I PCS (Military) next year. I can't even think of another company besides a Mastercraft to buy.. My dad had Prostar 190 back when I was 2-3yrs old (sold it due to divorce) so with that, is the only boat that comes to mind. I know they are boat that'll last forever when you take care of that.. Luckily I'm OCD about everything.. Especially things I build (like my car haha).

The thing that is crazy is prices for the newer (bigger) boats.. 80-100k is not doable to me at all lol.. At first I was looking for a used X45, 245V but nothing really comes up in a good price range.. Then I started thinking, I don't really need a boat that big.. It's just my wife, my son, and I, and if I get to move back home maybe my sister and bro in law.. So I started looking and the Prostar 214 looks like the winner to me.. They are beautiful, not all decal'd up, and just really clean looking boats. I don't need all the electronic stuff, towers, huge sound system etc.. That's just over the top for me. Just a nice low key boat to get out on the lake and have some fun..

So with the Prostar 214 in mind is this going to be a good all around family boat?? I know ski-ing it'll be awesome, I know that tubing will be sweet too. That's pretty much all we'll use it for.. My son is still young so when he gets older down the road maybe we'll get a bigger boat etc.. Anyways I built the boat with my wife, but there is no price tag ahahaha. I'm curious if anyone has a rough guesstimate on what they typically run. I was assuming in the 50k range? Really the only upgrade was the 6.2 engine.. I'm 260lbs so it's gotta pull me up lol

Any help would be great.. People who have a Prostar 214 please post pics.. Love the lines of them..

texasjet
03-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Think you might be a bit low with the $50k if you are considering a new boat being built. Her is a nice x-14v for consideration and a price point.

Great news on the GO to get a boat.

http://www.texasmastercraft.com/vehicle/used-2011-mastercraft-x-14v-1226946.cfml?refby=dealersite#ar_top

Double D
03-12-2013, 09:43 PM
That's when I got my boat, when the wife said I could... Sad but true...

50K is too low for a new X14V, IMO Good luck!

east tx skier
03-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Do you ski, wakeboard, surf, all of the above? There are less expensive boats that can let you do everything on the water that the new boats can do (sometimes better) for a lot less money.

Welcome to the forum.

98 Saleen Cobra
03-12-2013, 09:45 PM
I'm sorry I should have specified.. I meant Prostar 214 ahahaha

I edited my post.. It's something that I'm seriously looking into now.. Stopped modding my Cobra for now, and have a good bit in savings for a down payment.. I haven't seen many Used Prostar 214's for sale.. But hoping to maybe pick up a low hr's one at somepoint.

I ski, and tube and that's about it..

east tx skier
03-12-2013, 09:57 PM
Since you have a crew of three, consider an older 197 or 205. The 197 will have a better ski wake and the 205 will be close. Both are open bow, but without that awkward, can't get to your engine seat behind the driver's seat. You still get the open bow.

From the car talk, it seems like you like things on the faster, nimbler side. The 214s serve a purpose for people who like to ski and need a ton of seating. But that doesn't seem to be the case for you.

98 Saleen Cobra
03-12-2013, 10:02 PM
I haven't really thought much on the 197's and the 205's.. That's a good call.. I'll have to look into those too. Yea I wouldn't need a ton of seating so to speak.. At least most of the time.. Now if I move back to home there will be family coming out with me. At any given time I could have as many as 6-7 people, maybe 8.. So I wouldn't totally count the seating thing out of there..

I have some time to think more about it obviously, I probably won't buy until after the summer where they are trying to push them out.. Luckily here in AL it doesn't get to cold lol..

mzimme
03-12-2013, 10:09 PM
I haven't really thought much on the 197's and the 205's.. That's a good call.. I'll have to look into those too. Yea I wouldn't need a ton of seating so to speak.. At least most of the time.. Now if I move back to home there will be family coming out with me. At any given time I could have as many as 6-7 people, maybe 8.. So I wouldn't totally count the seating thing out of there..

I have some time to think more about it obviously, I probably won't buy until after the summer where they are trying to push them out.. Luckily here in AL it doesn't get to cold lol..

Well the 197 and 205 will still hold 10-12 people, so you won't run out of seats. Check out the 209/x9 also... might fine a good boat for a lot less coin.

east tx skier
03-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Yeah, think useable seating. You can get 2--3 in the observer seat of a 197, one in the driver's seat, and 2 in the bow, and still ski from the pylon. You're not getting any more from the 214 or the 205 (assuming they have a jump seat). 205s are lighter. The older ones ski better than the newer ones and the oldest 205s (92--93) were lighter and carbureted, making them very easy to modify and boost hp.

/did I get your attention with that last part?

east tx skier
03-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Yeah, think useable seating. You can get 2--3 in the observer seat of a 197, one in the driver's seat, and 2 in the bow, and still ski from the pylon. You're not getting any more from the 214 or the 205 (assuming they have a jump seat). 205s are lighter. The older ones ski better than the newer ones and the oldest 205s (92--93) were lighter and carbureted, making them very easy to modify and boost hp.

This is my old 93 205. Excellent ski wake. Carbureted 351HO with right around 300 hp (estimated).

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-VQtDG4Ncxyk/T7OonAq4FsI/AAAAAAAAFOo/zWqA2nyzh7w/s650/2007%2520MC%2520Water%2520Shot.jpg

Only reason I sold it was that I wanted a closed bow.

musicmd
03-12-2013, 10:54 PM
You're getting great advice here on a boat which may work for you. It's one of the things I really like about the TT forum - - - there is a wealth of experience here to draw from.

I will defer to the experts about what MC model may work best for you. I will offer the view that you should seriously consider used boats, especially if money is a bit of an issue. While buying something which is brand new is always exciting and often reassuring (you know that no one else has had a chance to abuse it or neglect it), there are many amazing used MC boats out there which have a lot of spirited, dependable hours left in them.

MC quality produces boats which live a long time - - - most often, these boats perform at levels which are unmatched among other cheaper alternatives. An older ProStar 190 or S&S in good shape will still turn heads and will produce a wake which is unequaled by most new boats.

However, patience is the key, in my book. I started looking for a MC about 3 years ago. I looked at a number of boats which were not quite right, then found a 2004 X-10 which was a great boat for us. I'm the only slalom skier in a family of wakeboarders and we like having a boat with enough room for 7-8 people. I paid about 1/3 of what I would pay for a brand new 2013 X-10, and apart from the upholstery issues which are common in this vintage of MC (and which I'm happy to have fixed/replaced), the boat is golden.

I certainly wonder what it would be like to buy a brand new boat and the newest MC boats are unbelievably beautiful. However, there are amazing used boats out there which may give you the size and performance you're looking for at a fraction of the price.

madcityskier
03-12-2013, 11:06 PM
If you're thinking 214 check this http://www.redlinewatersports.com/2012-mastercraft-x14v/
I know the guy who had it for one season and he babied it. Save a little off new and have all the bells and whistles. Plenty of seating too. Love my brother's 197, but with a stated capacity of 7 it's hard to take friends for a ride without leaving people behind. 205 was a little better, and you can get one a lot cheaper than this. 209's are a good middle ground as well.
Good luck.

Double D
03-13-2013, 05:56 AM

I edited my post.. It's something that I'm seriously looking into now.. Stopped modding my Cobra for now, and have a good bit in savings for a down payment.. I haven't seen many Used Prostar 214's for sale.. But hoping to maybe pick up a low hr's one at somepoint.

Your pretty brave telling people you tube. :) It's a joke around here so don't get mad if you get ribbed for that.

Oops, I guess I just opened that subject up. I kid.. Good luck on your search for your tubing boat!! LOL.

98 Saleen Cobra
03-13-2013, 07:47 AM
Well the 197 and 205 will still hold 10-12 people, so you won't run out of seats. Check out the 209/x9 also... might fine a good boat for a lot less coin.

I'll look into those too. Thanks buddy :)

This is my old 93 205. Excellent ski wake. Carbureted 351HO with right around 300 hp (estimated).

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-VQtDG4Ncxyk/T7OonAq4FsI/AAAAAAAAFOo/zWqA2nyzh7w/s650/2007%2520MC%2520Water%2520Shot.jpg

Only reason I sold it was that I wanted a closed bow.

Beautiful boat!! Yea I was thinking last night on the older boats.. I could do rebuilds on a SBF 351 in a day if I needed to hahaha.. Super easy. The only thing that I don't like is the Carb setup.. In CA (where I'm from) there are lakes at elevation and I guess it wouldn't take long to figure out what jets to run but still something I'm considering. Doing a simple intake manifold/carb setup would be pretty cool though. Thanks for the advice :)

You're getting great advice here on a boat which may work for you. It's one of the things I really like about the TT forum - - - there is a wealth of experience here to draw from.

I will defer to the experts about what MC model may work best for you. I will offer the view that you should seriously consider used boats, especially if money is a bit of an issue. While buying something which is brand new is always exciting and often reassuring (you know that no one else has had a chance to abuse it or neglect it), there are many amazing used MC boats out there which have a lot of spirited, dependable hours left in them.

MC quality produces boats which live a long time - - - most often, these boats perform at levels which are unmatched among other cheaper alternatives. An older ProStar 190 or S&S in good shape will still turn heads and will produce a wake which is unequaled by most new boats.

However, patience is the key, in my book. I started looking for a MC about 3 years ago. I looked at a number of boats which were not quite right, then found a 2004 X-10 which was a great boat for us. I'm the only slalom skier in a family of wakeboarders and we like having a boat with enough room for 7-8 people. I paid about 1/3 of what I would pay for a brand new 2013 X-10, and apart from the upholstery issues which are common in this vintage of MC (and which I'm happy to have fixed/replaced), the boat is golden.

I certainly wonder what it would be like to buy a brand new boat and the newest MC boats are unbelievably beautiful. However, there are amazing used boats out there which may give you the size and performance you're looking for at a fraction of the price.

Yea I don't think that I'll buy new.. I'm usually a little skeptical on buying used, but most MC owners actually take care of their boats which is nice. :)

If you're thinking 214 check this http://www.redlinewatersports.com/2012-mastercraft-x14v/
I know the guy who had it for one season and he babied it. Save a little off new and have all the bells and whistles. Plenty of seating too. Love my brother's 197, but with a stated capacity of 7 it's hard to take friends for a ride without leaving people behind. 205 was a little better, and you can get one a lot cheaper than this. 209's are a good middle ground as well.
Good luck.

Thats a nice boat, but pricey for sure. I'll check out the 209's too.

Your pretty brave telling people you tube. :) It's a joke around here so don't get mad if you get ribbed for that.

Oops, I guess I just opened that subject up. I kid.. Good luck on your search for your tubing boat!! LOL.

Ehh I'm not worried. I'm like a professional tuber or anything ahaha.. Just like having fun, that's what it's all about ot me. I'm not new to forums, there will be people wanting to rip regardless of what forum I'm on lol..

On the SVT forums it's about people who "open track" or just say that they do, but when you mention apexing they have no clue what that word even means lol.. So I gotch ;)

I'm not a professional skier/tuber or anything like that.. The boat is simply to have fun on with my family/friends, get out on the lake etc. I'm sure that everyone here knows what I'm talking about.. I know that not everyone here is a professional skier regardless of what they say lol!!

mikeg205
03-13-2013, 09:10 AM

Tubing? behind an MC surely you jest... ;) http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked019.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angry009.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Ski-me
03-13-2013, 09:26 AM
East Texas has steered you properly. The 92-93 is the carb Ford 351. In 94 and 95, fuel injection was introduced but on the GM 350 engine. But they also offered the Corvette LT1 as well which might give you that little extra "something".... :)

The 92-95 205 is an excellent hull and provided you find one in great condition, you are far ahead of trying to buy a newer 214. The 214 would be your next step if you feel like the 205 is starting to get cramped. I have 3 girls and my 94 205 is awesome!

The 96+ 205's have a slighly different hull and are considered slighly less desireable for the ski wake but more desireable for the wakeboarding wake (when compared to the 92-95 era). However, it still does have a great ski wake.

Once you get closer to the 99-2000 model year, you need to really pay attention to the interior and the stitching. For some reason, this era had some problems. Whereas the earlier years did not. Good luck!

Kweisner
03-13-2013, 09:45 AM
We are much like you--not hardcore but wanted a boat that was solid and chose MC based on outings aboard a friend's 197. We bought our own 2007 197TT w/tower last fall and could not be happier. Boat runs like a top and is solid in every way.

We're a family of five and the boat is rated for 7 pax, so we don't have a lot of extra room for bringing guests (although we can get four adults and five kids aboard comfortably). There's a terrific looking 2008 214 down at Bay Area Watersports that you might check out. . . price seems right at $40k.

98 Saleen Cobra
03-13-2013, 09:52 AM
East Texas has steered you properly. The 92-93 is the carb Ford 351. In 94 and 95, fuel injection was introduced but on the GM 350 engine. But they also offered the Corvette LT1 as well which might give you that little extra "something".... :)

The 92-95 205 is an excellent hull and provided you find one in great condition, you are far ahead of trying to buy a newer 214. The 214 would be your next step if you feel like the 205 is starting to get cramped. I have 3 girls and my 94 205 is awesome!

The 96+ 205's have a slighly different hull and are considered slighly less desireable for the ski wake but more desireable for the wakeboarding wake (when compared to the 92-95 era). However, it still does have a great ski wake.

Once you get closer to the 99-2000 model year, you need to really pay attention to the interior and the stitching. For some reason, this era had some problems. Whereas the earlier years did not. Good luck!

Great information. Thanks!! I didn't realize all the hull changes that they did.. Crazy!

mikeg205
03-13-2013, 09:53 AM

^^+1 - easty got it down as do many other here..

98 Saleen Cobra
03-13-2013, 09:53 AM
We are much like you--not hardcore but wanted a boat that was solid and chose MC based on outings aboard a friend's 197. We bought our own 2007 197TT w/tower last fall and could not be happier. Boat runs like a top and is solid in every way.

We're a family of five and the boat is rated for 7 pax, so we don't have a lot of extra room for bringing guests (although we can get four adults and five kids aboard comfortably). There's a terrific looking 2008 214 down at Bay Area Watersports that you might check out. . . price seems right at $40k.

I'll have to check it out.. But is it Blue with Yellow?? Post al ink if you can. :)

captain planet
03-13-2013, 10:12 AM

You're not going to see too many. The 214 came out mid 2007 and was also offered as a v-drive starting in 2009. So there aren't too many DD 214's to be had since a slice of the 214's were sold as v-drives. I know this shortage to be true because I've been looking for a used 214 for a friend. You are going to see prices for used 214's ranging from mid to upper 40's and up depending on how equipped. I'm not saying they aren't out there, it just depends on how far you are willing to drive to look at a used one.

gts-20
03-13-2013, 10:24 AM
I'll have to check it out.. But is it Blue with Yellow?? Post al ink if you can. :)

We love our Prostar 214. Here's a link to the one for sale @ BAWS that was mentioned before:

http://www.bayareawatersports.com/searchengine/Details.aspx?diid=7190868&bvdid=3121&type=AN&indid=1&sortCol=Length&sortDir=DESC&#

98 Saleen Cobra
03-13-2013, 11:07 AM
ahh that boat is perfect!!

mikeg205
03-13-2013, 11:14 AM
That's when I got my boat, when the wife said I could... Sad but true...

50K is too low for a new X14V, IMO Good luck!

always make sure the wife is ok with bringing another woman into the house... ;) :rolleyes:

VP46
03-13-2013, 11:19 AM
another 214... it's in detroit so might as well be on the other side of the planet but it meets your Sub 50k mark!

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/boa/3648150309.html

VP46
03-13-2013, 11:22 AM
BTW we bought a 02 x-star last season and with 5 kids and 4 adults there was ample room. that bota will do it all, ski, wake board, tube and even surf's fairly well. The best part about it is at ~20.7 feet it gives me ~3in to spare in the garage ;)

Perfect boat for us = 02 or newer x-star, X-1, or 04 and older x-2.

98 Saleen Cobra
03-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Awesome thanks for all the tips guys!! Keep them coming.. I saw a few Maristar 230VRS's that are beautiful too!! AHHH so many choices now!

-V-
03-13-2013, 11:43 AM
hey 98 Saleen Cobra, where are you stationed at?

JohnE
03-13-2013, 11:54 AM

The Blue and Yellow that's been for sale is sold. It belonged to McKevin here. I did notice that it was still up on only inboards. (Unless there is another for sale which seems unlikely)

98 Saleen Cobra
03-13-2013, 12:03 PM
hey 98 Saleen Cobra, where are you stationed at?

I'm stationed at Sector Mobile, AL.. Search and Rescue Coordinator here :)

The Blue and Yellow that's been for sale is sold. It belonged to McKevin here. I did notice that it was still up on only inboards. (Unless there is another for sale which seems unlikely)

No I saw it on here and it was beautiful.. The color scheme screamed Blue Angels to me.. Which is just awesome.. but ya it sold sadly :(

TxsRiverRat
03-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Ehh I'm not worried. I'm like a professional tuber

http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif

Well the 197 and 205 will still hold 10-12 people

:shocked::shocked::shocked::eek3::eek3::eek3:

Kweisner
03-13-2013, 01:23 PM
I would love to have that 214 from BAWS but just got my 197TT last fall and have only used it 7-8 times. Can't justify the effort to sell and buy again, but it looks like a beauty to me.

98 Saleen Cobra
03-13-2013, 01:32 PM
http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif

:shocked::shocked::shocked::eek3::eek3::eek3:

ahahahah damn it!! I meant I'm NOT a professional tuber lol!!! I need to not type late at night ahaha.

I would love to have that 214 from BAWS but just got my 197TT last fall and have only used it 7-8 times. Can't justify the effort to sell and buy again, but it looks like a beauty to me.

The 197's are really nice too!!

Rockman
03-13-2013, 01:33 PM
ahahahah damn it!! I meant I'm NOT a professional tuber lol!!! I need to not type late at night ahaha.

The 197's are really nice too!!

Only bad thing about the 197s is dunking the nose...

CC2MC
03-13-2013, 02:11 PM
If you were closer to the Montgomery area, I would say come join me in my 205. If you feel like making the 3.5 hr trip just let me know and I can meet you in the lake. Btw, are you planning on using this boat on a lake or on the bay? Just beware of some I those boats in that area with saltwater use bc things really tend to age much faster in salt water, even when we'll maintained.

LaRue
03-13-2013, 02:16 PM
here is a great looking 214V at Farmer City Illinois

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=36721

pram
03-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Tubing? behind an MC surely you jest... ;) http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked019.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angry009.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Tubing is not for the faint of heart

When there are 4 or 5 out at once

pram
03-13-2013, 02:35 PM
I would really like to take a turn or two behind a 214 and see what they are like. They are a really nice looking boat on the water

98 Saleen Cobra
03-13-2013, 02:42 PM
If you were closer to the Montgomery area, I would say come join me in my 205. If you feel like making the 3.5 hr trip just let me know and I can meet you in the lake. Btw, are you planning on using this boat on a lake or on the bay? Just beware of some I those boats in that area with saltwater use bc things really tend to age much faster in salt water, even when we'll maintained.

Well I might take you up on that. Thanks buddy

here is a great looking 214V at Farmer City Illinois

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=36721

Damn that thing is nice!

Tubing is not for the faint of heart

When there are 4 or 5 out at once

OMFG ahahahaha!!

I would really like to take a turn or two behind a 214 and see what they are like. They are a really nice looking boat on the water

That would be cool for a comparison

Kweisner
03-13-2013, 02:49 PM

Been there, done that!

But my three kids that were sitting up front thought it was a riot--once they got over the initial shock of sitting in the equivalent of a bathtub ;)

98 Saleen Cobra
03-13-2013, 02:56 PM
ahahahaha

JohnE
03-13-2013, 03:35 PM

I miss mine. You wouldn't be disappointed.

pram
03-13-2013, 03:36 PM

45's are fairly easy to shovel a couple gallons of water into also, or at least that is what I have been told :rolleyes:

pram
03-13-2013, 03:36 PM
I miss mine. You wouldn't be disappointed.

you ever skied a boat like mine in comparison?

JohnE
03-13-2013, 03:39 PM
you ever skied a boat like mine in comparison?

No. Late 80's prostars, tristar. Newer 197's and my 214. Soon enough will be behind the '97. What year is your 205? '94?

pram
03-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Mine is a 95, last of the great :D

TxsRiverRat
03-13-2013, 05:07 PM

Too late buddy! Hahahaha

We're a brutal bunch here!

Ski-me
03-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Mine is a 95, last of the great :D

True that!! :headbang:

mikeg205
03-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Too late buddy! Hahahaha

We're a brutal bunch here!

But we do it with love....

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/guns/flamethrower.gif (http://www.sherv.net/flamethrower-emoticon-466.html)

98 Saleen Cobra
03-13-2013, 05:23 PM
ahahaha You guys aren't brutal.. Go and take a look at svtperformance.com.. Those freakin guys eat people lol..

I gotta go back and relook at all the models now. you guys brought up so many that I forgot about ahahaha!! I love doing this kind of re-search though. It's a lot of fun for me :)

Ski-me
03-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Basically, if you want to be in the $40k range = (X14 or 214)

If you want to be in the $15-20k range = (205)

I think the 197 is too small and only has a max capacity of 7 (legally). It's a pretty small front end.

There.....all done! :)

SunCoast 83
03-13-2013, 06:19 PM

Agreed. The 197 handles like a Ferrari but that low nose always finds it's way under the water. I really has to get used to that last summer when we got ours. I approach turn backs into our wake (picking up a skier) much different then my old boat.

You would be happy with a 197. Great boat with a decent amount of seating. I also like the 214 and looked at one last year while boat shopping.

The deciding factor for me was the 197's World Record Slalom wake and the fact that it would still fit into my garage. I also prefer direct drive.

It would still be a good tubing tug for the kiddos. :D:D

Shooter McKevin
03-13-2013, 06:24 PM
I just re-read the original post and noticed a couple things.

You were contemplating an X45 but thought it was to big and too much $$
You want a good family boat for cruising, skiing, tubing. You didn't specify if you are skiing slalom I don't think? (and if so how aggressively)

... $40K is about the right number for an 06 X2. That boat will likely be high on my list if I decide to upgrade. (assuming I'm ready to give up the slalom wake).

Just throwing out another option that might make sense for you.

For my situation my 190 is the perfect boat. Small lakes, lots of trailering, love to slalom and working on my wakeboarding. Towing mostly very young kids and beginners who can be really intimidated by a big wake. Frequently go out with 4 adults and 4 kids and have just enough space.

98 Saleen Cobra
03-13-2013, 06:32 PM
I don't ski slalom or aggresivly. Just recreational use.. Fun to get out on the lake, enjoy the water, tube and maybe some ski-ing. A 190 would be nice too but again that's a pretty small boat. I'm leaning towards the Prostar 214's or something similar.. :)

JohnE
03-13-2013, 06:33 PM
Basically, if you want to be in the $40k range = (X14 or 214)

If you want to be in the $15-20k range = (205)

I think the 197 is too small and only has a max capacity of 7 (legally). It's a pretty small front end.

There.....all done! :)

There was a time in my life when the 197 was too small. Right now it would be perfect. And that is coming from an X14. I picked up an older 190 for now but will be thinking about the 197 as a future upgrade.

Kweisner
03-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Agreed. The 197 handles like a Ferrari but that low nose always finds it's way under the water. I really has to get used to that last summer when we got ours. I approach turn backs into our wake (picking up a skier) much different then my old boat.

You would be happy with a 197. Great boat with a decent amount of seating. I also like the 214 and looked at one last year while boat shopping.

The deciding factor for me was the 197's World Record Slalom wake and the fact that it would still fit into my garage. I also prefer direct drive.

It would still be a good tubing tug for the kiddos. :D:D

Ditto on the 197's Ferrari handling and the garage length. For me, that was a big consideration (and I still have to put it in diagonally to get the door shut, but driveway isn't an option where we live). We also manage towing with a Sienna minivan due to relatively light weight. And the 197 looks like it's going 80 miles an hour even sitting still (but not so much when it's hitched to the Sienna)! I wouldn't worry about dousing the nose--just need to be aware and as always, hand never leaves the throttle while under way. Even if it happens, it drains pretty fast.

gchapman-tt
03-14-2013, 05:30 PM
This one is still available... 2012 PS 197 WTT w/ 6.0L
http://www.bhmtrilakes.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=03160059X3K14K2013J4I18I0 0JPMQ2678R0&veh=2983295

Thrall
03-14-2013, 07:30 PM
I don't ski slalom or aggresivly. Just recreational use.. Fun to get out on the lake, enjoy the water, tube and maybe some ski-ing. A 190 would be nice too but again that's a pretty small boat. I'm leaning towards the Prostar 214's or something similar.. :)

You could get a PS 209 for alot less than a 214. Has lots of room for a DD boat.
Or like Shooter said, X2.
If you don't slalom seriously, and you were already looking at V drives, there's more to choose from for used Vdrives less than 10 yrs old than DD boats, with the X2 being very popular, means lots of used ones on the market.
Has a ton of room for a 20' boat. Seats 2 families of 4 very comfortably. Much more so than the 205/205V hull.