PDA

View Full Version : X45 owners

GoinBoatin
03-12-2013, 05:31 PM
How have your encounters with rough waters been? I'm leaning more towards and x45 over a 35 but several times a year we travel to the ozarks for extended weekends. The water there gets pretty rough from the cruisers. Should I be worried?

Mastercraftdave
03-12-2013, 07:17 PM
The X35 will handle rougher conditions better than an X45 no matter what because of the hull difference. i was bewteen the two of these boats however i love the layout of the 45 My X45 has been in 2-3 ft chop in a bay and it was pretty good. Its a million times better than the Malibu I had. best bet is to drive both boats out.

AZX45OD
03-12-2013, 07:39 PM
The X 45 is a still a very big boat and handles chop exceptionally well, especially the chop the inland lakes can dish out. I would base the purchase on layout and interior, which the 45 wins every time.

MASTIQUE
03-12-2013, 08:55 PM
I agree, love the ride and layout..layout...layout on my 45. Handles chop good (Lanier in GA) with no issues but the 35 will handle big water better as others have said but the 45 is big water capable by all means. Did I mention the 45's layout...it's tops!

RaeRay
03-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Mastercraft is coming out with a "X46" I know it sounds crazy, its base off the x45 with a deeper hual. May want to wait or talk to your local mastercraft dealer.

I had several X45's and now have a 55, I live on Lake Conroe, and she is rough on weekends. The 45 did ok, but if you dip the nose into a wave you'll find yourself standing in a foot of water. The 35 handels rough water only slightly better, the bennefit is the nose rides significantly further out of the water.

Cobra Rob
03-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Mastercraft is coming out with a "X46" I know it sounds crazy, its base off the x45 with a deeper hual. May want to wait or talk to your local mastercraft dealer.

I had several X45's and now have a 55, I live on Lake Conroe, and she is rough on weekends. The 45 did ok, but if you dip the nose into a wave you'll find yourself standing in a foot of water. The 35 handels rough water only slightly better, the bennefit is the nose rides significantly further out of the water.

I just moved to The Woodlands. I am about to probably take my X45 on Conroe this weekend. I have not heard the greatest thing about that lake. It has only ever been on the Willamette and Columbia rivers.

I grew up in Houston but I haven't been to conroe since I was like 12.

scott023
03-13-2013, 11:13 AM
The X35 will handle rougher conditions better than an X45 no matter what because of the hull difference. i was bewteen the two of these boats however i love the layout of the 45 My X45 has been in 2-3 ft chop in a bay and it was pretty good. Its a million times better than the Malibu I had. best bet is to drive both boats out.

I disagree. I test drove both in extremely rough water, and the 45 handled much better, hands down. IMO, the 35 doesn't do anything better than the 45...

RaeRay
03-13-2013, 11:17 AM
I just moved to The Woodlands. I am about to probably take my X45 on Conroe this weekend. I have not heard the greatest thing about that lake. It has only ever been on the Willamette and Columbia rivers.

I grew up in Houston but I haven't been to conroe since I was like 12.

Awesome, we will be out and about possibly Saturday, and for sure Sunday. Look for a Red Flake X55. Weekends it gets rough, Its a great weekday lake, and/or weekend party lake. The Game wardens are horrible though, so be prepared to be stopped for no reason.

Cobra Rob
03-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Awesome, we will be out and about possibly Saturday, and for sure Sunday. Look for a Red Flake X55. Weekends it gets rough, Its a great weekday lake, and/or weekend party lake. The Game wardens are horrible though, so be prepared to be stopped for no reason.

I am leaning more towards sunday as well.. See that's part of my issue. I kinda uhmmm haven't gotten it registered in Texas yet and it's even expired from Oregon.. I am trying to work on that right now but they want a damn pencil rubbing of engine plate. I am also curious about them complaining about sound level. We are usually cool about being ok around houses but I have about 5000W and the ReV410s

jdl xstar
03-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Anytime there is an x45 vs x55 comparison discussion, I whip out this picture i took at the miami boat show a few years back. Just shows how much higher off the water the x55 sits. Its a BIG boat.

GoinBoatin
03-13-2013, 05:26 PM
I guess either way I go its going to sit higher then my 20ft searay bowrider does. Waiting to buy a newer boat is not an option, my budget is 60k max

GoinBoatin
03-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Is there any difference between the 2006 and the 2009 models? I'm looking for one between those years? Other then being newer does one have anything better then the other?

Duane D
03-13-2013, 11:23 PM
I know the gel schemes/graphics are different, the '06 tower doesn't look as nice as the '09 but most claim that the '06 tower is the strongest MC has ever offered (me included since my X2 has that tower), and the '09 will have the VDIG digital dash with more electronics and ballast timers instead of on/off switches for the pumps.

My local dealer has a nice example of an '06 and they just sold an '09 or I would attach that link too...

'06 (not factory graphics on the back but you can see the tower)
http://watersportscentral.com/wsc/preownedboatsC.htm

Cobra Rob
03-14-2013, 10:31 AM
I know the gel schemes/graphics are different, the '06 tower doesn't look as nice as the '09 but most claim that the '06 tower is the strongest MC has ever offered (me included since my X2 has that tower), and the '09 will have the VDIG digital dash with more electronics and ballast timers instead of on/off switches for the pumps.

My local dealer has a nice example of an '06 and they just sold an '09 or I would attach that link too...

'06 (not factory graphics on the back but you can see the tower)
http://watersportscentral.com/wsc/preownedboatsC.htm

My buddy had an 06 - X45 and I have an 07 -X45. I can confirm on the tower. Even with the braces the 06 is a stronger tower with the dual crossbars. I would probably take the 09 though.

mpabreo
03-14-2013, 01:50 PM
There's no clear advantage of an x35 over an x45, other than price. However, many comments can be made about the advantages of the 45 over the 35. The 35 will handle chop only slightly better than the 45, but you have to be a trained driver to really notice. Did anyone mention that the wake of the 45 is extremely better than the 35? No comparison IMO, from a slightly biased x45 owner. Compare the sales #s of the two, there's reasons one sells much better than the other.

GoinBoatin
03-14-2013, 02:39 PM
I've decided on a 45 but the 07-08 is in my price range. I like the looks of those towers better. All of them I'm finding though have the 5.7L. I found an 06 with the 8.1 and 380ish hours. Just wondering if the older I go the less updated equipment ill lose. Make sense?

GoinBoatin
03-14-2013, 02:43 PM
This one 47k

ttu
03-14-2013, 02:51 PM
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/3612637912.html

GoinBoatin
03-14-2013, 02:56 PM
I emailed him last night, it has the 5.7

ttu
03-14-2013, 03:01 PM
this one i can vouch for

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52863

but's it a 06.

Thrall
03-14-2013, 03:41 PM
5.7 will be a turd in a X45 performance wise. Yes it will move the boat and if all you did was wakboard or surf, prop it all the way down and plan to burnt he same amount of fuel as a big block.
With the 5.7, a X45 won't handle ballast and tow duties AND cruising speeds well with the same prop.
You'll be wanting to prop it for the type of use that day (which typically is ALL uses in the same day, so not real practical).
Yeah it will work, but if you're dropping $60k on a boat you probably want it to perform as such.
By way of comparison, an X45 with the supercharged 550?hp engine and a middle of the road prop performed very similar to my X2 with a 350hp engine and a lower pitched pulling prop at 3000' altitude where my MCX was lacking jsut a little in power but the big boat had all it's ponies due to being forced induction.

Provided you are buying out of warranty, personally I would favor the 06-07 without the Vdig or BIG electonic systems (but I wouldn't turn down a nice boat that met all your criteria based on that).

Thrall
03-14-2013, 03:51 PM
this one i can vouch for

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52863

but's it a 06.

That looks like the best of all worlds for the OP. Low hrs, big engine, simple/solid electronics/dash, sturdy tower, no emissions bs on the exhaust, nice classic color scheme (unless you want loud), and $10k under budget.
That boat isn't even broke in yet and you got up to $10k to play with if you want a bigger badder stereo, added ballast, etc.

And if you plan on keeping it a while, the resale will be near the same as newer models. Once the hull becomes dated and the boat is 10+ years old, value will be based mostly on condition, engine hours and engine size, not whether it has newer or older gadgets.

imChad
03-15-2013, 01:03 PM
I totally have to agree with Thrall. The 5.7 is Okay at best. I am in the Denver area and at this altitude the bigger engine is a must.

Also my 08 tower is plenty strong enough. Not sayin the ladies are stressin the tower, but those hydrofoils can get heavy! Going on 3rd year with this setup with no issues.

PS. The pylon on the 45 is very strong as well.

PSS. MasterCraft should offer to buy these photos for marketing?

Whoo Hoo summer is almost here!

jdl xstar
03-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Heynoww.. Nice pics.

That one of you in boat reminds me of the guy in Billy Madison... :D

RaeRay
03-25-2013, 02:03 PM
I am leaning more towards sunday as well.. See that's part of my issue. I kinda uhmmm haven't gotten it registered in Texas yet and it's even expired from Oregon.. I am trying to work on that right now but they want a damn pencil rubbing of engine plate. I am also curious about them complaining about sound level. We are usually cool about being ok around houses but I have about 5000W and the ReV410s

Didn't see you out, You don't have to worry about noise on our lake at all! They are just out for drunk boaters

Cobra Rob
03-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Didn't see you out, You don't have to worry about noise on our lake at all! They are just out for drunk boaters

Went out on Sunday... I only saw a brand new X25 and a 08/09 X15