PDA

View Full Version : A sad day at a boat show, and why mastercraft is dying

aelewis
03-12-2013, 01:53 PM
I cannot believe I am saying this, but read the below email I sent to a mastercraft dealer (Vina at Norcal Mastercraft) and I think everything will explain itself, so sad. .. .

Hello,

My name is Alex I am 25 yrs old and when my father called me to go look at boats in Sacramento, about a two hour drive for both of us I knew he was serious about buying a new boat. He is in the market for a ski boat, and was specifically only interested in two boats, a prostar 190 and the nautique 200. This may not seem like a big deal however he has been a lifelong mastercraft owner and buys a new boat at least every 5-10 years, and to be even slightly considering a nautique was sinful to say the least.

Therefore I called both superior marine and norcal to confirm that they would have representation of that boat there at the boat show. I called norcal as did he and my girlfriend in which we were told by three different people that the prostar 190 was not on the lot, but in fact it was already at the show. Needless to say when we got to the show no one answered the cell phones we were given to meet us at the gate, and there were no prostars at all.

We were very disappointed, and that only got worse. As we asked two different people, a woman in a tan shirt, and a man in an x10 with a black shirt that said mastercraft no longer sells prostar models and no longer the 190 specifically. This was odd since it is a very popular ski boat among tournament enthusiasts like us, and it is still on the internet as well. My father, my self, girlfriend and mother were infuriated. We left mastercraft immediately, and my father, again a lifelong mastercraft advocate went and sat in the closed bow 200 and got a price of 56,900 for a nautique with the 5.7L 343 horse PCM, zero off and metallic paint.

I hope this was just a comedy of errors, and that there are still prostars being sold through your shop, and that somehow there was a big misunderstanding. I would like to stop my dad from buying a nautique, but can only do so if there is a way that he can buy a prostar within reason.

thank you and please pass this too anyone else whom might have an answer.

--
Alexander Lewis

helton333
03-12-2013, 02:14 PM
You sound like a Democrat. Buy whatever boat you want (Oops sorry, let your dad buy whatever boat he wants).

bikenskijerm
03-12-2013, 02:14 PM
They person you talked to was a moron. I was at the plant in November and they had at least 6 prostars (including a 190) currently in production. This boat isn't going anywhere. Take a deep breath, relax, and buy a prostar.

TxsRiverRat
03-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Infuriated?

SMH :rolleyes:

aelewis
03-12-2013, 02:30 PM
I know that they still make the boat, but in california dealers are scarce, and to have one of the only ones say they do not make them is odd. And you are right, I have been calling around trying to sort the mess out. Thanks for the positive response.

On another reponse, thank you helton for your response, my father does want a prostar but was told they do not make them. And thank you I already have bought mine, a 2008 tt, not sure what politics has to do with it, and since my family lives in a different state than my father does it was an odd comment, but again thanks for your quick response it really keeps these threads lively.

Sodar
03-12-2013, 02:39 PM
I am almost 100% sure that NorCal MC is a X-series only dealer. At least, that is what they told me when I was up there a few years back. Either way, a ProStar 190 will need to be ordered 99.9% of the time. X-7's and 197 both sit on the lots for a LONG time... 190's sit for even longer.

There are 3 sides to every story and honestly, the 1/3rd I have heard does not add up.

I would like to close this thread. No good of it is going to come unless we have Nor Cal explain their side and then a higher being to translate your story and their story into the true story.

Good luck with whatever you choose to purchase.

Tristar Racing
03-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Whoa, a crappy boat dealer? I'm amazed...

I would figure a lifelong MC guy would take the time to do more research. Based on dealing with boat dealers my whole life, I always do my own fact finding. Just my thoughts...

aelewis
03-12-2013, 02:41 PM
I understand and thank you for your response, just confused on why they said otherwise. I understand that the boats sit, and we were ordering the boat in either situation. thanks

Sodar
03-12-2013, 02:44 PM
I understand and thank you for your response, just confused on why they said otherwise. I understand that the boats sit, and we were ordering the boat in either situation. thanks

Who cares why they told you. Maybe they did not want to sell you a boat? This could also go into the reason why they did not answer your calls at the show. The whole "my dad wants to buy" story probably made them think you were a fraud. If your dad wants to buy, then why doesn't he do the leg work?

P.S. Your profile says you own an X-9 and that you registered here a month ago. Is the '08 TT a new acquisition?

bcd
03-12-2013, 02:50 PM
A dealer can make or break a boat purchase. Hopefully if you buy a new MC, it doesn't have any issues, but if it does, do you want that dealership working on it? If the dealer's a big problem before you buy the boat, they probably won't be any better afterwards. If the Nautique dealer is a better dealer, it would definitely weigh in on my consideration.

If you have a 2 hour drive to your dealer, you want to make sure that should you ever have to haul your boat there, it gets fixed quickly, correctly, and in one visit. Also, don't assume that since it's a new boat, there won't be any problems with it (regardless of which brand).

TxsRiverRat
03-12-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm so infuriated

aquaman
03-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Maybe they should take away the MCraft dealers cell phone and ground him for a week ?

Meanie :(

east tx skier
03-12-2013, 03:01 PM
They person you talked to was a moron. I was at the plant in November and they had at least 6 prostars (including a 190) currently in production. This boat isn't going anywhere. Take a deep breath, relax, and buy a prostar.

To be fair, there have been recent years when the Pro Star 190 was produced in single digits. For those of us who prefer closed bows, the market can be dry at times.

Of course, this being a new boat, probably easy enough to special order one. They haven't populated many showroom floors in years. Of course, a few years back, Mike at MC Charolotte ordered a black 190 for his showroom. He sold it in a week.

I was at my local dealer today. They had a sport 200 on the floor. I didn't give it a second glance. The engine was in the wrong place, it had a big ugly steel roll cage on it and the bow storage area was covered with vinyl seats. Useless for me. They are a great dealer and treat me really well even though they know I have given up on finding a boat I like in their showroom. My suggestion to the OP is to find a good dealer and never bother again with a dealer that is not interested in his business.

I had a somewhat nearby MC dealer in Dallas/Ft. Worth completely ignore me on a potential $1,000 plus parts order several years ago despite repeated phone calls. So I decided to take my business elsewhere permanently because life is too short for awful customer service. It's pretty painless. I recommend it.

Good luck in your boat search.

shepherd
03-12-2013, 03:05 PM
I called norcal as did he and my girlfriend in which we were told by three different people that the prostar 190 was not on the lot, but in fact it was already at the show. Needless to say when we got to the show no one answered the cell phones we were given to meet us at the gate, and there were no prostars at all.

If a dealer told me there would be a 190 there, and I drove 2 hours to see it, and it wasn't there.... I'd be pissed too and would most likely be buying the SN.

MASTIQUE
03-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Here's my take....NorCal does not order stock 190s. They want to sell what they stock and especially what has been in their inventory a while. The people you spoke to on the phone probably wanted to get you to the show to sell you on one of their X stock boats. Sounds like they had little interest in selling you an ordered boat since that would take time away from selling their stock boats at the show...I'd have your Dad call the owner or NorCal and explain he wants to order a 190 and get your quote. I would not even bother with what they "said" at the bait show, that could have been a hired gun any way. If you get nothing from the owner, call MC direct and ask then to help facilitate another dealer to handle the order. Remember ordering a boat wont get you left over stock boat show discounts usually..

aquaman
03-12-2013, 03:12 PM
You know, that's life.

If the dad buys a boat every 5- 10yrs.....which is a pretty big spread.

Then waiting a week or 2 to verify production is really not a big inconvenience ?

Is it really grounds to Switch to Nautiques ???

I think not.

aelewis
03-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Who cares why they told you. Maybe they did not want to sell you a boat? This could also go into the reason why they did not answer your calls at the show. The whole "my dad wants to buy" story probably made them think you were a fraud. If your dad wants to buy, then why doesn't he do the leg work?

P.S. Your profile says you own an X-9 and that you registered here a month ago. Is the '08 TT a new acquisition?

Or perhaps they just wanted to get more people at the show and get a purchase of a different boat. The person we were supposed to meet that day was not there on saturday. My father did do the leg work, but since I skied collegiately I had more experience around those boats so I just helped him and checked in as well since he was confused about his lingo.
I had an x9 sold it to upgrade, the new boat is a nice medium between people capacity and slalom performance. Thanks for your input, great to see dedicated mastercraft people.

aelewis
03-12-2013, 03:28 PM
A dealer can make or break a boat purchase. Hopefully if you buy a new MC, it doesn't have any issues, but if it does, do you want that dealership working on it? If the dealer's a big problem before you buy the boat, they probably won't be any better afterwards. If the Nautique dealer is a better dealer, it would definitely weigh in on my consideration.

If you have a 2 hour drive to your dealer, you want to make sure that should you ever have to haul your boat there, it gets fixed quickly, correctly, and in one visit. Also, don't assume that since it's a new boat, there won't be any problems with it (regardless of which brand).

Definetely true, and the reason we had to drive so far was our current dealer is now only service and does not sell. He is calling the rep to find out for us. thanks

aelewis
03-12-2013, 03:30 PM
To be fair, there have been recent years when the Pro Star 190 was produced in single digits. For those of us who prefer closed bows, the market can be dry at times.

Of course, this being a new boat, probably easy enough to special order one. They haven't populated many showroom floors in years. Of course, a few years back, Mike at MC Charolotte ordered a black 190 for his showroom. He sold it in a week.

I was at my local dealer today. They had a sport 200 on the floor. I didn't give it a second glance. The engine was in the wrong place, it had a big ugly steel roll cage on it and the bow storage area was covered with vinyl seats. Useless for me. They are a great dealer and treat me really well even though they know I have given up on finding a boat I like in their showroom. My suggestion to the OP is to find a good dealer and never bother again with a dealer that is not interested in his business.

I had a somewhat nearby MC dealer in Dallas/Ft. Worth completely ignore me on a potential $1,000 plus parts order several years ago despite repeated phone calls. So I decided to take my business elsewhere permanently because life is too short for awful customer service. It's pretty painless. I recommend it.

Good luck in your boat search.

Thank you. I have seen your posts around and what you say always seems logical, thanks and our search continues.

93Prostar190
03-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Although this thread feels like a possible slippery slope, I will put in a good word for several of the good dealers on this Forum that would more than likely be interested in working with a buyer that wants a Direct Drive based 190/197 that may not be in stock.

I am sure they would also be willing to overcome the geography, and arrange delivery ...

Our friends at Tri-Lakes, Jim @ BAWS, Cincy MC, and the other many good dealers may want to reach out ...search the forum and you may find one to your liking.

I feel bad for you that the "local" experience did not bring up any results, but if you are really looking for a good PS 190, I think there are at least a dozen dealers nationwide that can help you if not dozens more. In today's world of electronic medium, you may not even need to ever visit the dealer at all.

Just to qualify (most know this already) I am not a dealer just a happy MC owner with great dealer support in the area and across the country.
\
Good luck with the search ...

Ok ... phew now back to less serious mode ..... tell your Dad to get power slot on a 6.0 Ilmor!

No tower ... just power. Peace.

aelewis
03-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Here's my take....NorCal does not order stock 190s. They want to sell what they stock and especially what has been in their inventory a while. The people you spoke to on the phone probably wanted to get you to the show to sell you on one of their X stock boats. Sounds like they had little interest in selling you an ordered boat since that would take time away from selling their stock boats at the show...I'd have your Dad call the owner or NorCal and explain he wants to order a 190 and get your quote. I would not even bother with what they "said" at the bait show, that could have been a hired gun any way. If you get nothing from the owner, call MC direct and ask then to help facilitate another dealer to handle the order. Remember ordering a boat wont get you left over stock boat show discounts usually..

Great point and that is what it seems it turned out to be, just wanted to sit in one before buying for a change. Thanks

aelewis
03-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Appreciate the comment and will check those dealers out

rodltg2
03-12-2013, 03:53 PM
I was at the show myself on Saturday. No 190 0r 197 to been seen. However the Nautique dealer had (2) 200s closed and open bow and had (2) sport 200's one standard, one air nautique. That blue and black 200 was friggin sweet!

If your Dad decides to go Nautique, you can;t go wrong with Superior Boats. I've met the owner myself and he is doing alot for the sport. He has started a waterski and wakeboard club which I am a member of. He can get you a good price on the 200 I am sure.

east tx skier
03-12-2013, 04:04 PM
You know, that's life.

If the dad buys a boat every 5- 10yrs.....which is a pretty big spread.

Then waiting a week or 2 to verify production is really not a big inconvenience ?

Is it really grounds to Switch to Nautiques ???

I think not.

It is if he has a good local CC dealer. But it is not a brand issue. I would apply the same logic to a CC owner that did not have a good local CC dealer, but had a good local MC dealership. All of these boats are good. But a cr@ppy dealer (see my DFW dealer example above) would make it not worth buying that brand of boat if you had better local dealer support from another brand.

JohnE
03-12-2013, 04:09 PM
It is sad but true that the dealer is more important than the boat brand these days. I am surprised corporate doesn't place a higher importance on this fact. I know the dealers have a certain standard to maintain. That standard should be a bit higher though. There are a number of good dealers. And from what I've read the last 5 years the number of subpar ones has decreased.

gid
03-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Is it just me or do new boats seem very expensive; to the point I dont know how folks afford a new boat. 80k (average) for a boat. My first house was 42k (1998)

TxsRiverRat
03-12-2013, 04:33 PM
What did the Malibu dealer bring to the show

02ProstarSammyD
03-12-2013, 04:39 PM
And from what I've read the last 5 years the number of subpar ones has decreased.
I've got the stank of an MC in town lol. I doubt many had a hardcore ski boat there though. I couldn't find a single one at the raleigh show. Although I really don't know what one looks like. Could have been hiding behind the g23 or the x45.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-12-2013, 04:49 PM
I've got the stank of an MC in town lol. I doubt many had a hardcore ski boat there though. I couldn't find a single one at the raleigh show. Although I really don't know what one looks like. Could have been hiding behind the g23 or the x45.

Not all the dealers are slacking. Midwest Mastercraft put on their usual impressive display at the Minneapolis Boat Show.

Boats On Display Include

ProStar 197 - WTT Edition
ProStar 214V - Red Metal Flake, 6.2 Liter Engine, Tower
X-14V - Black and yellow, 4.3" display, 5.7 Liter Engine
X-2 - Med Blue, 5.7 Liter Engine
X-10 - Black and White, 5.7 Liter Engine, 4.3" display
X-10 - White and Navy Blue, 5.7 Liter Engine, Pro Pack
X-25 - Black and Green (though likely getting a custom wrap from MN Boat Wraps!)
X-30 - Med Blue and Black, Pro Pack, 5.7 Liter Engine
X-Star - 7.4 Liter Engine, LOADED!!!

GoneBoatN
03-12-2013, 04:51 PM
One of NorCal's two shops is local to me. I had purchased my boat from them and over the years have found them decent to deal with. For instance I had connector go on the power line to the fuel pump in the middle of summer. Every try to get your boat service quickly in July or August? I had the boat back in under 24 hours. I believe Vina is a store manager so I'm surprised to hear you were talking to her about the sale of a boat. If you are interested in buying one I would suggest contacting Tony as he is one of their sales reps in the Pleasanton location. Tony is a very low pressure kind of sales guy so don't take that for a lack of interest.

I notice on their web site that all they have in stock is the X-series. I do not find that a big surprise as that (wake boats) is what mainly sells in our local market. I'm surprised to hear you were told that they had one when according to the inventory on their web site shows that they do not have one. I have seen new ProStars on their lot but only briefly. My guess is that they only special order them for those that want one.

GoneBoatN
03-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Not all the dealers are slacking. Midwest Mastercraft put on their usual impressive display at the Minneapolis Boat Show.

Boats On Display Include

ProStar 197 - WTT Edition
ProStar 214V - Red Metal Flake, 6.2 Liter Engine, Tower
X-14V - Black and yellow, 4.3" display, 5.7 Liter Engine
X-2 - Med Blue, 5.7 Liter Engine
X-10 - Black and White, 5.7 Liter Engine, 4.3" display
X-10 - White and Navy Blue, 5.7 Liter Engine, Pro Pack
X-25 - Black and Green (though likely getting a custom wrap from MN Boat Wraps!)
X-30 - Med Blue and Black, Pro Pack, 5.7 Liter Engine
X-Star - 7.4 Liter Engine, LOADED!!!

NorCal had all that at the Sacramento show minus the ProStars and the X-14V. I've seen them carry one or two X-14V's on their lot a couple of years back. Their WakeRootsRideShop had a large section of gear at the show. I got my daughter a new PFD while we were there. We were on our way home from Sugarbowl Ski resort and I stopped in at the show. NorCal provided me with comp tickets to get into the show.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-12-2013, 05:02 PM
NorCal had all that at the Sacramento show minus the ProStars and the X-14V. I've seen them carry one or two X-14V's on their lot a couple of years back. Their WakeRootsRideShop had a large section of gear at the show. I got my daughter a new PFD while we were there. We were on our way home from Sugarbowl Ski resort and I stopped in at the show. NorCal provided me with comp tickets to get into the show.

The guys at Midwest also have a huge pro-shop at the show as well. Nice to hear about the good guys from time to time.

rodltg2
03-12-2013, 05:03 PM

I must have missed the xstar, did not see it.

helton333
03-12-2013, 05:08 PM
My only point, and sorry for the offense seeing I was NOT the one that said MC was "dying" to a bunch of MC enthusiasts - is if Nautique is a better boat - buy it. Nobody is a victim over a boat they didn't buy.

corey
03-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the props mrmastercraft!

Sorry to hear about your issues but I assure you the ProStar lineup is alive and well. It seems like most of the ProStars are getting sold in the Midwest and East Coast at least on the new side. That being said there must be quite a few in your area, we sell a good amount of tune up kits/various parts esspecially to CA and alot of them are for 197's.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the props mrmastercraft!

Sorry to hear about your issues but I assure you the ProStar lineup is alive and well. It seems like most of the ProStars are getting sold in the Midwest and East Coast at least on the new side. That being said there must be quite a few in your area, we sell a good amount of tune up kits/various parts esspecially to CA and alot of them are for 197's.

http://forums.catholic.com/images/smilies/ani/ani_tiphat.gif

GoneBoatN
03-12-2013, 05:32 PM
I must have missed the xstar, did not see it.

When you walked straight back from the entrance, it was on the right hand side of all the boats they had there; would have been the first one you would come to as long as you were not approaching from the left side of the show floor. Pretty much center of their display because to the right of that was all their gear (wakeboards, PFDs, etc.) display. I still think I like the X-25 better but I would not turn down a X-Star if it were the right deal. :D

It was there Friday night. It was not on a trailer and was blocked up so that the bow was higher in the air, angled so starboard was a little higher than port.

TxsRiverRat
03-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Hey guys, what is the best cross over boat?

GoneBoatN
03-12-2013, 05:34 PM
...Nice to hear about the good guys from time to time...

Exactly. I know I myself sometimes (confession - too often) focus on the bad stuff. Life is too short.

broncotw
03-12-2013, 05:43 PM
I cannot believe this thread has gotten way off topic... Aelewis comes here for help and he gets called names like “democrat” and some have blamed him for not doing his homework, etc. The horrible service of the dealership is the issue here…. I really do not see that Aelewis did anything wrong…

If he made repeated calls to the dealership and was told the 190 would be at the show -- and he drove two (2) hours to attend the show only to find NO 190's -- that's the issue – PERIOD! I am pretty sure he would of never departed his residence and traveled the two (2) hours if the dealership had been upfront with him….

If the dealership does not sell the 190/197 then they had an obligation to disclose this to him during his repeated phone correspondence with them. Not disclosing this would be unethical in my opinion…

It's not inconceivable that he would assist his father in purchasing a new boat. My mother is 80 years old and I assist her when she purchases new vehicles.....

If you are in the business of sales -- answer your phone or at a minimum returns the customers call.... What's the old saying? “If you do not take care of the customer someone else will”.....

Jerseydave
03-12-2013, 05:43 PM
As others have stated, some delaers will bend over backwards for you and others will not. You need one that can give you straight answers and one that can locate the boat you're looking for without a long list of excuses.
That being said, I've heard from a reliable source that MC may not be taking any more orders for the 2013 model year so if you want to order a boat it will be a 2014.
To me that says production cannot keep up with demand at this time (I assume sales are good.....Mastercraft is NOT dying!) Also very soon MC will be concentrating only on ski and wakeboard boats.....nothing else! ;)

GoneBoatN
03-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Hey guys, what is the best cross over boat?

Reminds me of the "all terain" snow skis I bought way back - they were equally crappy at everything.

My point being that if you are really into either skiing or wakeboarding and you have had a boat specifically oriented towards the thing you like to do most, you will end up disappointed with a cross over boat.

TOO-TALL
03-12-2013, 05:49 PM
I cannot believe this thread has gotten way off topic... Aelewis comes here for help and he gets called names like “democrat” and some have blamed him for not doing his homework, etc. The horrible service of the dealership is the issue here…. I really do not see that Aelewis did anything wrong…

If he made repeated calls to the dealership and was told the 190 would be at the show -- and he drove two (2) hours to attend the show only to find NO 190's -- that's the issue – PERIOD! I am pretty sure he would of never departed his residence and traveled the two (2) hours if the dealership had been upfront with him….

If the dealership does not sell the 190/197 then they had an obligation to disclose this to him during his repeated phone correspondence with them. Not disclosing this would be unethical in my opinion…

It's not inconceivable that he would assist his father in purchasing a new boat. My mother is 80 years old and I assist her when she purchases new vehicles.....

If you are in the business of sales -- answer your phone or at a minimum returns the customers call.... What's the old saying? “If you do not take care of the customer someone else will”.....

Well Said.......

GoneBoatN
03-12-2013, 05:49 PM
As others have stated, some delaers will bend over backwards for you and others will not. You need one that can give you straight answers and one that can locate the boat you're looking for without a long list of excuses.
That being said, I've heard from a reliable source that MC may not be taking any more orders for the 2013 model year so if you want to order a boat it will be a 2014.
To me that says production cannot keep up with demand at this time (I assume sales are good.....Mastercraft is NOT dying!) Also very soon MC will be concentrating only on ski and wakeboard boats.....nothing else! ;)

What else is there? :D:D:D

Jerseydave
03-12-2013, 05:56 PM
What else is there? :D:D:D

Hydrasport

adkskier
03-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Cant say he did anything wrong either, but just because of one fall through in my mind doesnt mean an automatic switch to another company, i spent over a year and a half searching down dealers and sellers looking for a 91-97 and finally after giving up one came to me on this very site and i drove from upstate NY to Virginia. 2 hours in my books would just be a routine trip one way to the lake ;)

vision
03-12-2013, 07:33 PM

Second the well said by broncotw. I also must commend aelewis for responding so politely to the more useless and mean spirited posts. Way to take the high ground.

Purchasing a boat from another dealer, even across the country, is easy. But when it comes to warranty or other work, you can not beat having a local dealer you trust and who is interested in your business. I struggled with a similar problem. I ultimately changed dealers and brands. If there is not a MC dealer close to you that you feel is interested in your business, I would encourage you to consider all the ski boats that meet your criteria, not just the MCs. MC makes a great boat. But they are not the only manufacturer of great boats.

96prostar190
03-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Dude I've been increasingly disappointed with Mastercraft dealers! I have a 96 Prostar 190 and last year I had some issues with it and it was AMAZING how no one could help me or lead me in the right direction... Hence why I ended up joining this forum this year to figure **** out on my own! Good luck dude!

mmhsval
03-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Hydrasport

Hydrasport has been gone for a while now.

TxsRiverRat
03-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Thread greatness

east tx skier
03-12-2013, 09:48 PM

^^^^ I'll be over here with this dude. ^^^^^

medicmoose
03-12-2013, 09:57 PM
Second the well said by broncotw. I also must commend aelewis for responding so politely to the more useless and mean spirited posts. Way to take the high ground.

Purchasing a boat from another dealer, even across the country, is easy. But when it comes to warranty or other work, you can not beat having a local dealer you trust and who is interested in your business. I struggled with a similar problem. I ultimately changed dealers and brands. If there is not a MC dealer close to you that you feel is interested in your business, I would encourage you to consider all the ski boats that meet your criteria, not just the MCs. MC makes a great boat. But they are not the only manufacturer of great boats.

A little competition is a good thing!!

musicmd
03-12-2013, 11:09 PM

Me too.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-12-2013, 11:14 PM

Count me in too.

musicmd
03-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Thanks to the people who have given Aelewis good information here. That is what the forum is about.

I agree completely with the thought that dealers have to earn our business. I'm all for buying from a local dealer when it makes sense (and I'm lucky to have a great dealer here in Madison), however, I am extremely hesitant to deal with anyone who is misleading, difficult to reach, etc.

Promising something at a boat show which doesn't materialize (whether it is a 20 minute drive or a 2 hour drive) is a clear signal - - - we don't tell you the truth and don't feel the need to be honest with the people we try to sell to.

A dealer which does this doesn't deserve to get the sale. My recommendation is to seek out a MC dealer who will earn your business. Luckily, there are many of them out there.

rodltg2
03-12-2013, 11:18 PM
I would suggest buying a promo boat either way. I know of a few 197 for sale in CA.

Nautique seems to be the leader in supporting three event and have sold alot of 200's. Word on the street is that MC has something in the works. Unfortunately lately it's not the boat of choice right now. Reliability issues and wake have kept the 197 behind the others. I've heard some folks buy the MC because it is the worse wake and that way they are prepared if they draw the boat at a tournament. Makes sense but sad at the same time.

Myself I skied 3 different boats at a tournament and at my level 15-32 where the wake is mostly felt , the MC was by far the worst. Was it that bad ?, no. I would still gladly ski it every day.

My point is I guess is that MC hasn't focused on the 3 events market IMO. So maybe the deakers dont either. It helos if the owner is a waterskier. But that is gonna change in 2014.

Bouyhead
03-12-2013, 11:41 PM
I would suggest buying a promo boat either way. I know of a few 197 for sale in CA.

Nautique seems to be the leader in supporting three event and have sold alot of 200's. Word on the street is that MC has something in the works. Unfortunately lately it's not the boat of choice right now. Reliability issues and wake have kept the 197 behind the others. I've heard some folks buy the MC because it is the worse wake and that way they are prepared if they draw the boat at a tournament. Makes sense but sad at the same time.

Myself I skied 3 different boats at a tournament and at my level 15-32 where the wake is mostly felt , the MC was by far the worst. Was it that bad ?, no. I would still gladly ski it every day.

My point is I guess is that MC hasn't focused on the 3 events market IMO. So maybe the deakers dont either. It helos if the owner is a waterskier. But that is gonna change in 2014.

I'm getting tired of waiting, what is it 12 years?!!. It's obvious where all the slalom gurus went. Just look at the Big Dawg tournament. Then again I'm a little biased, I've been down at Okeeheelee once a month this winter.

east tx skier
03-12-2013, 11:52 PM
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I'm getting tired of waiting, what is it 12 years?!!. It's obvious where all the slalom gurus went. Just look at the Big Dawg tournament. Then again I'm a little biased, I've been down at Okeeheelee once a month this winter.

The rumor is a 19.x' boat that is a pure slalom machine. I'll believe it when I see it.

east tx skier
03-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Nautique seems to be the leader in supporting three event

Probably true, but don't forget Centurion. Closed bow, all the way. :)

rodltg2
03-13-2013, 12:02 AM
I don't have have first hand experience with the Carborn Pro besides behind the line and it was smooth. Softest wake wake I have ever felt.

Going from that to the MC was a shocker.

With that said , I can't say I would prefer to own one over the MC.

On a side note I saw my problem child 04 197 on Sunday. It still going strong !

Aric'sX15
03-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Hydrasport has been gone for a while now.

Calling bs
http://www.hydrasports.com/

sand2snow22
03-13-2013, 12:13 AM
With that said , I can't say I would prefer to own one over the MC.

Why not? Please elaborate.

mramerman@gmail.com
03-13-2013, 12:36 AM
I am concerned about MC's commitment to water skiing and the 190 as well. I noticed the all new iPad application does not have the 190 merchandised.

While I opted for the cross over x14v, I count on flat wake hull / tournament r&d from the pure end of the ski market.

The lack of merchandise presence in key mar / comm channels seems suspicious.

Jerseydave
03-13-2013, 04:05 AM
New ski boat on the way, so perhaps that's why MC is not advertising the 190 much lately.

Hydrasport is not part of MC anymore, so now the manufacturing focus in TN will be strictly on MC boats.

Stritt
03-13-2013, 06:36 AM
If I recall the press release correctly, MasterCraft will be building the Hydrosports boats for Plantation Boat Mart for the foreseeable future. So, while MasterCraft no longers owns Hydrosports they are still the manufacturer.

captain planet
03-13-2013, 09:49 AM
What did the Malibu dealer bring to the show

.....hollow stringers! :D

captain planet
03-13-2013, 09:55 AM

I'll second that.....although I did take a stab at malibu a couple posts ago. Sorry, I couldn't help it, it's in my nature. :rolleyes:

captain planet
03-13-2013, 10:00 AM
The rumor is a 19.x' boat that is a pure slalom machine. I'll believe it when I see it.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

bobx1
03-13-2013, 10:28 AM
I think the thread got off on the wrong foot due to the following reasons:

1 - Winter tends to bring out the grumpy side of some people.

2 - Using "why mastercraft is dying" in a thread title on a forum owned and supported by Mastercraft tends to aggravate the condition referenced in point number 1.

3 - Calling out a dealer by name on the internet is generally a no-no unless the dealer can confirm the story as accurate. I am not questioning the validity of the story but people do need a chance to respond and hopefully the owner of the dealership in question can be made aware of this post and explain what happened.

With that being said, I do commend Mr. Lewis for taking the high road in his responses.

On a side note, I have switched brands out of dealer spite before (Ford to GMC as a recent example) and for some reason it makes me feel a little better.

scott023
03-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Count me in too.

Me too. No doubt about it.

mikeg205
03-13-2013, 10:51 AM
As in all posts like this - the truth lies in the middle - I don't like the title of the thread...either. Unfortunately in every industry a sales cycle goes awry and a prospective customer gets treated poorly. Something went wrong in the conversation - but the issue was with the dealer and prospect not this brand. It also could have been an issue with an employee not the dealer...either way it's too bad the experience went south.

The last thing anyone needs is a poor experience when plunking down big $$$ for something that's supposed to be fun.