PDA

View Full Version : Surf Tabs worth it?

jlbpropilot
03-11-2013, 10:08 PM
I recently purchased an x-55 without surf tabs. The boat is getting some maintenance done now and I am contemplating having the tabs put on. Do they make a big difference? Thanks in advance.

AZX45OD
03-12-2013, 12:50 AM
I assume you have the center plate already? This is the only one you need. I had surf tabs on my '45 and didn't feel they made a lick of difference. Not a bad thing, but not worth adding at this point. I left them off of my X30 and it surfs like a champ.

AZX45OD
03-12-2013, 12:58 AM
They were kind of fun to play with occasionally to level out the boat when cruising if the weight distribution was uneven, but not necessary and became just one more button to push and keep track of. Actually kind of annoying because then they would be out of balance and/or stay deployed and became a hassle. They couldn't be controlled individually. They were on a toggle where one lowers while the other raises and vice-versa-but not necessarily at the same rate. After a few toggles they would then both be partially deployed. Annoying.

Aric'sX15
03-12-2013, 02:05 AM
They make no difference IMO. don't waste your money! nothing like the surfgate or nautiques NSS.

FourFourty
03-12-2013, 09:54 AM
They make no difference IMO. don't waste your money! nothing like the surfgate or nautiques NSS.

x2 ^

Spend your money on ballast. A 55 will kick an awesome surf wave if you ballast it correctly.

Huskie05
03-12-2013, 12:09 PM
I recently purchased an x-55 without surf tabs. The boat is getting some maintenance done now and I am contemplating having the tabs put on. Do they make a big difference? Thanks in advance.

I own an X55 and I believe the surf tabs make it about 10% better. Sometimes we forget to set the tabs and when we remember it does clean up the wave. Not sure if it's worth the price, but glad I have them on my boat. If you are planning on holding the boat for a while and the price is not to bad, get them...

jlbpropilot
03-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Great thanks for all the input. Brings a tear to my eye when you all agree AND it saves me some money. Thanks guys.