PDA

View Full Version : I have the wrong size trailer

96prostar190
03-11-2013, 05:56 PM
I have a 96 Prostar and the trailer I have is for a 2001 trailer. I got a great deal on this boat and I've had it for a year now but I need to get it on the right size trailer. Any ideas where I can find one that is either A) the right size or B) have one made for the boat.

Thanks!90974

Ski-me
03-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Gig Harbor.....

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/3654841149.html

I don't know the difference between 2001 and 1996 though.

96prostar190
03-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Gig Harbor.....

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/3654841149.html

I don't know the difference between 2001 and 1996 though.
Hey man, thanks a lot for the reply with the Craigslist add. The problem with 2001 vs. 1996 is the length. If you look closely in the pic I attached the trailer is longer then my boat is, causing the wood on the trailer to warm... Lame.

Ski-me
03-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Oh yea. I can definitely see the big overhang for sure! It looks like the back half of the bunker is bending down under the weight of the boat.

Is there a big difference in length on the 190 for 2001 vs 1996? The 2001 you have....is it for a 190 or another model??

96prostar190
03-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Oh yea. I can definitely see the big overhang for sure! It looks like the back half of the bunker is bending down under the weight of the boat.

Is there a big difference in length on the 190 for 2001 vs 1996? The 2001 you have....is it for a 190 or another model??
I have the 96 Prostar 190. I think the 2001 is less then a foot longer... I think it's like 9-11" longer, nothing crazy but I probably don't want to keep driving my boat around on it.

What year is your boat? Looks clean!

Ski-me
03-11-2013, 07:02 PM
It's a 94' and we love it! I just swapped my single axle trailer for a double axle so "trailers" are on my radar lately. I'm restoring it now and it's looking pretty good so far!

If you are going to make a trade/sale, you might as well get the correct one. Just be patient and keep looking. I'm sure there will be someone out there try to get a double axle and then they have to sale their single axle. Just be ready... :)

Congrats on your 96.....just love these boats!

96prostar190
03-11-2013, 07:09 PM
It's a 94' and we love it! I just swapped my single axle trailer for a double axle so "trailers" are on my radar lately. I'm restoring it now and it's looking pretty good so far!

If you are going to make a trade/sale, you might as well get the correct one. Just be patient and keep looking. I'm sure there will be someone out there try to get a double axle and then they have to sale their single axle. Just be ready... :)

Congrats on your 96.....just love these boats!
Nice man! Well it looks great and good luck with the restoration!

Yeah so far I love the boat man! I hope to have it for a long time!

Take care!

88 PS190
03-11-2013, 07:35 PM
What does the front stop look like?

How's the tongue weight?

I like to set the boat back on the bunks so it sits nice, then check the tongue weight % and if that's all good you can usually have the front stop adjusted easily enough to get better use out of it.

I would just be guessing that yours is too far forward even for the 2001 hull.

If I was shopping a new trailer I'd get an aluminum one of the right weight, and customize it to my boat.

96prostar190
03-11-2013, 09:57 PM
What does the front stop look like?

How's the tongue weight?

I like to set the boat back on the bunks so it sits nice, then check the tongue weight % and if that's all good you can usually have the front stop adjusted easily enough to get better use out of it.

I would just be guessing that yours is too far forward even for the 2001 hull.

If I was shopping a new trailer I'd get an aluminum one of the right weight, and customize it to my boat.
In order to secure the boat with the pin on the trailer that's the best place it could go.

Did you have to get a new trailer for yours? I'm going to take a look and see if Mastercraft still makes trailers or not.

Cloaked
03-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Looks like the trailer is for a 205 model.

96prostar190
03-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Looks like the trailer is for a 205 model.

I thought so initially, but checked the serial number and it's for a 190... So crazy! I don't know how the dude I bought it from ended up with this trailer. I shoulda asked!

88 PS190
03-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Right, your pin needs to hit, but where the pin hits can be moved in most cases, it might require a welding shop to put a plate in there and some paint, but it can be shifted.

I had my factory trailer modified because it had that hinged bar which was garbage.

96prostar190
03-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Right, your pin needs to hit, but where the pin hits can be moved in most cases, it might require a welding shop to put a plate in there and some paint, but it can be shifted.

I had my factory trailer modified because it had that hinged bar which was garbage.
Hmm, never thought of that. Thanks for the idea! I'll have to take a look at that.

Barefooter92
03-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Looks like a 205 trailer to me. Not sure about the serial number but the MC plate on the trailer should clearly state if it is a 190 or 205.

...anyway the cheep and easy fix would be to take it to a weld shop and have them move the front assembly back until your happy with the fit, otherwise post it here for sale and use the summer to find the right 190 trailer for your length. Good luck. Interesting how some boats loose their matching trailer???

96prostar190
03-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Looks like a 205 trailer to me. Not sure about the serial number but the MC plate on the trailer should clearly state if it is a 190 or 205.

...anyway the cheep and easy fix would be to take it to a weld shop and have them move the front assembly back until your happy with the fit, otherwise post it here for sale and use the summer to find the right 190 trailer for your length. Good luck. Interesting how some boats loose their matching trailer???
I know right?! It's so crazy, I wish I woulda pulled my head out of my *** and asked him what happened to the original one! haha. It's def. a 190 trailer but you guys are making me question my self now. I'll have to look again tomorrow. Pretty positive it said 190... I guess we'll see.

Thanks for the help though!

88 PS190
03-11-2013, 10:25 PM
You see it more in the south.

Boats can stay in the water with no winterization, some are purchased with out trailer.

Others the trailers spend so much time sitting out in the weather that by the time you get to boats from the 80s or 90s the trailers have rusted and rotted.

Lastly trailers get stolen and they get damaged when blow outs occur.

96prostar190
03-11-2013, 10:31 PM
You see it more in the south.

Boats can stay in the water with no winterization, some are purchased with out trailer.

Others the trailers spend so much time sitting out in the weather that by the time you get to boats from the 80s or 90s the trailers have rusted and rotted.

Lastly trailers get stolen and they get damaged when blow outs occur.
Do you think this trailer will work for a while if I have to leave it on for a while? Like another year or two? ;)

88 PS190
03-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Trailer fit is primarily where the support is in relation to the stringers in the hull, so long as those are adjusted (most can be slid) then its safe.

Its more a question of: Is it a pain to get the boat on/off?

Does the prop get endangered by the trailer supports?

Does it tow safely? Trailer fit is important due to where the weight sits, you need a safe % of tongue weight, boat too far forwards puts more weight on the vehicle, too far to the rear you get a light tongue, which causes the trailer to buck like a mule and makes towing unsafe.

I would personally slip the boat back on the trailer, then measure the weight distribution, or atleast make sure the tongue isn't super light.

Double axles tend to resist problems better than single axles which don't balance well and buck back and forth.

My folks have a I/O on a trailer that is too big, and it darned near put me in a ditch a few summers ago when I was pulling it to the upholstery shop. Single axle, boat is too far rearwards of axle, yet is as far onto the trailer as the bunks allow.

Larger boat would extend much further forwards and get some tongue weight on the tow vehicle. As is the low tongue weight lifts the back of the tow vehicle. I usually put all my full fuel cans in the bow before towing it now.

Ben
03-11-2013, 10:45 PM
I would look into moving the now stop back as others have suggested.

You can load the boat that way at the ramp and make sure there is still ample tongue weight before having the mid done. Then the trailer should be good for a long time.

This is all provided you have validated the bunks fit the boat nicely in the "new" position.

That is what I would try.

96prostar190
03-11-2013, 10:46 PM
Trailer fit is primarily where the support is in relation to the stringers in the hull, so long as those are adjusted (most can be slid) then its safe.

Its more a question of: Is it a pain to get the boat on/off?

Does the prop get endangered by the trailer supports?

Does it tow safely? Trailer fit is important due to where the weight sits, you need a safe % of tongue weight, boat too far forwards puts more weight on the vehicle, too far to the rear you get a light tongue, which causes the trailer to buck like a mule and makes towing unsafe.

I would personally slip the boat back on the trailer, then measure the weight distribution, or atleast make sure the tongue isn't super light.

Double axles tend to resist problems better than single axles which don't balance well and buck back and forth.

My folks have a I/O on a trailer that is too big, and it darned near put me in a ditch a few summers ago when I was pulling it to the upholstery shop. Single axle, boat is too far rearwards of axle, yet is as far onto the trailer as the bunks allow.

Larger boat would extend much further forwards and get some tongue weight on the tow vehicle. As is the low tongue weight lifts the back of the tow vehicle. I usually put all my full fuel cans in the bow before towing it now.
I've had no issues at all with it... driving it, getting the boat on and off etc... It's actually been pretty easy considering its the wrong trailer. I think the weights good also. The boats weight is supported I just worry about the wood breaking eventually in the back.

88 PS190
03-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Ya it looks hokey.

But instead of investing in a whole new trailer and all that it entails - have you considered just modifying the bunks a bit? You could simply make a wood block to sit in there if you were a hick, which would transfer the force of the boat down to the frame of the trailer.

If you wanted to do it nice, you could probably source a rubber block for the same duty.

Or cover a block in carpet then put it in there! That's the ticket.

88 PS190
03-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Also... a decent metal guy could probably cut the trailer, remove the rear, remove several inches of frame box, then attach the rear, grind and paint those welds.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-11-2013, 11:11 PM
How about posting a few more pictures of the whole boat and trailer along with some close-ups of the mid and front portion of the trailer. This might help settle things a bit. Too much speculation going on.

Ben
03-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Figure out where a similar boat is positioned on trailer relative to the axle and go from there. Without doing the math, i would guess a slightly longer tongue is better than boat a foot forward.

Tow vehicle selection will have impact on tongue sensitivity too. F350 won't care about tongue weight as much as a small SUV for example.

If the bunks are too long in back, you could weld reinforcements forward on the rear bunk brackets to prevent risk of the wood busting. Or shorten the trailer as suggested.

Either way, if the trailer is in decent shape, you can fix. Or use as is while you look for the right one. Just keep an eye on the rear bunks....

tdjaster
03-12-2013, 02:07 AM
I have a 96 Prostar and the trailer I have is for a 2001 trailer. I got a great deal on this boat and I've had it for a year now but I need to get it on the right size trailer. Any ideas where I can find one that is either A) the right size or B) have one made for the boat.

Thanks!90974

I had the exact same issue at this time last year. I bought the boat and the PO had just bought a newly used (misfit) trailer. I took it to a weld shop and had them move the bow stop back.

Here's the link to my thread about the work done: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48224

This changed the tongue weight from somewhere around 600 lbs. to somewhere are 200 lbs. Since the last set of updated pictures, I grabbed a $5 can of red Rustoleum paint and covered all of the welding and it looks great. If memory serves, the weld job was under $200...maybe $180 or something.

I am very pleased with my decision to move it back. Let me know if you have any questions.

96prostar190
03-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions. I will take more photos this afternoon and attach them to this thread.

Sounds like the best case is moving it back on the trailer! Ill play around with this as well!

Pics to come this afternoon.

96prostar190
03-12-2013, 12:51 PM
I had the exact same issue at this time last year. I bought the boat and the PO had just bought a newly used (misfit) trailer. I took it to a weld shop and had them move the bow stop back.

Here's the link to my thread about the work done: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48224

This changed the tongue weight from somewhere around 600 lbs. to somewhere are 200 lbs. Since the last set of updated pictures, I grabbed a $5 can of red Rustoleum paint and covered all of the welding and it looks great. If memory serves, the weld job was under $200...maybe $180 or something.

I am very pleased with my decision to move it back. Let me know if you have any questions.
Dude i read your thread and sounds like we had the exact same problem. Ill try what you did. That sounds best. As I said I'll add pics later today so you can see, but literally the exact same issues.

On a side note, it looks like from those pics you were in new brunfels, we use to take our boat to Tx ski ranch for maintenance.

tdjaster
03-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Dude i read your thread and sounds like we had the exact same problem. Ill try what you did. That sounds best. As I said I'll add pics later today so you can see, but literally the exact same issues.

On a side note, it looks like from those pics you were in new brunfels, we use to take our boat to Tx ski ranch for maintenance.

You just about nailed it. The first pic of the boat sitting on the trailer is the day we bought it and that was actually in New Braunfels. The ones under the bridge are in Seguin.

Where do you live now?

Keep us updated on your progress!

96prostar190
03-12-2013, 04:09 PM
You just about nailed it. The first pic of the boat sitting on the trailer is the day we bought it and that was actually in New Braunfels. The ones under the bridge are in Seguin.

Where do you live now?

Keep us updated on your progress!
Oh nice dude! I've taken our boat out there a couple of times, actually got stuck on the ramp there when I had a 2WD truck haha. I'm up in Little Rock AR now for about two more months for work.

Your boat looks great!! I'm jonesin to get out of work right now so I can mess around w the boat. Ill make sure to post pics, anything u want to see in specific?

96prostar190
03-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Well as I thought, it is a 190 trailer. Maybe the tag is replaced but it looks pretty solid.

96prostar190
03-12-2013, 08:23 PM
dangit! These effin pics keep coming out sideways. Sorry.

Cloaked
03-12-2013, 08:50 PM
dangit! These effin pics keep coming out sideways. Sorry.
Rotate the pictures on your hard drive before you load them into the attachment manager of the post. This is not Burger King.... :D

And to ease your strees, the most casual observer can see that the trailer is not made for a 190 measuring ~19.50 feet. Period. No way to cheat a tape measure or the numbers printed on it. What is missing here? The tag is hosed, the trailer is not built correctly, or it's a trailer for a boat that is ~ one foot longer, say maybe a 205 at ~ 20.5 feet in length.....

Anyone home? :D :D (just kidding, but all aside).the trailer is too long... :D :D I'd buy a 205 and put on the trailer to resolve the issue...

Do not try to re-engineer the trailer. It is built to specs and federal requirements of the boating industry for everyone's safety.

96prostar190
03-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Rotate the pictures on your hard drive before you load them into the attachment manager of the post. This is not Burger King.... :D

And to ease your strees, the most casual observer can see that the trailer is not made for a 190 measuring ~19.50 feet. Period. No way to cheat a tape measure or the numbers printed on it. What is missing here? The tag is hosed, the trailer is not built correctly, or it's a trailer for a boat that is ~ one foot longer, say maybe a 205 at ~ 20.5 feet in length.....

Anyone home? :D :D (just kidding, but all aside).the trailer is too long... :D :D I'd buy a 205 and put on the trailer to resolve the issue...

Do not try to re-engineer the trailer. It is built to specs and federal requirements of the boating industry for everyone's safety.

Haha, thanks for the remarks... Maybe one day there will be a 205 sitting on there!

Stritt
03-12-2013, 09:03 PM
I agree....show us a picture of the whole side profile. 190 is a 190 give an couple inches....that looks more like a foot. If it is a 190 trailer then the front jack stand has been altered....Show us a picture and we can tell you for sure. Does the trailer feel tongue heavy? Either way, the load is off and should effect handling while towing. If all is correct I would bet the tag has been changed. I think the vin number is stickered under the trailer by the fenders if I recall......

96prostar190
03-12-2013, 09:09 PM
I've solved the problem of whether it's a 190 vs. 205 trailer, it is clearly one whole foot longer. The problem at hand is how to fix the problem. Looking at the picture the tag/serial number all match up for a 190 trailer. Now, it's obviously not right.

These are the only photos I have and I just took em today.

96prostar190
03-12-2013, 09:16 PM
I agree....show us a picture of the whole side profile. 190 is a 190 give an couple inches....that looks more like a foot. If it is a 190 trailer then the front jack stand has been altered....Show us a picture and we can tell you for sure. Does the trailer feel tongue heavy? Either way, the load is off and should effect handling while towing. If all is correct I would bet the tag has been changed. I think the vin number is stickered under the trailer by the fenders if I recall......
In my experience everything feels fine. I would have to take it and get it measured/weighed. I'm getting more and more frustrated that the guy I bought it from a year ago is a P.O.S. He was dishonest about a lot. I didn't know enough about the trailer situation when I bought it and I wish I would have!

88 PS190
03-12-2013, 09:21 PM

I know plenty of trailer builders who I would trust fully to perform structural welding on these trailers.

This forum is full of examples of folks adding swing away tongues, prop guards, prop guard rollers, replacing the bar on the older trailers with a real bow stop, fixing axles/brakes/shackles.

Obviously you want to do the job right, but it isn't rocket science it is trailer welding, which is something happening to trucks and trailers all around you on the highway.

96prostar190
03-12-2013, 09:26 PM
I know plenty of trailer builders who I would trust fully to perform structural welding on these trailers.

This forum is full of examples of folks adding swing away tongues, prop guards, prop guard rollers, replacing the bar on the older trailers with a real bow stop, fixing axles/brakes/shackles.

Obviously you want to do the job right, but it isn't rocket science it is trailer welding, which is something happening to trucks and trailers all around you on the highway.
Yeah man, I'm gonna do what I need to do. I just think it's a trip someone went through as much trouble as they did to B.S. this trailer and then lie about it.

Cloaked
03-12-2013, 09:26 PM

Obviously you want to do the job right, but it isn't rocket science it is trailer welding, which is something happening to trucks and trailers all around you on the highway.Welding is not the issue. I feel certain your friends could do the welding. But, it's each to their own...

You have a valid point.... about the things going on that are seen on the highway all around you... That is my point of safety precisely... Personally I do not care one way or the other, unless it's me or my family that is a victim of an unsafe or altered design application.

The trailer is still too long and the OP has not gotten resolution nor satisfaction from his concern... his sideways pictures are still sideways....Never let it be said that I jacked a thread...

$0.02

96prostar190
03-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Welding is not the issue. I feel certain your friends could do the welding. But, it's each to their own...

You have a valid point.... about the things going on that are seen on the highway all around you... That is my point of safety precisely... Personally I do not care one way or the other, unless it's me or my family that is a victim of an unsafe or altered design application.

The trailer is still too long and the OP has not gotten resolution nor satisfaction from his concern... Never let it be said that I jacked a thread...

$0.02
Agreed. I'm sure most people feel that way.

Cloaked
03-12-2013, 09:31 PM
Agreed. I'm sure most people feel that way.
I did not jack your thread... :D :D

It's small potatoes compared to the thread about the sad day at the boat show..... LOL.....:rolleyes:

96prostar190
03-12-2013, 09:32 PM
I did not jack your thread... :D :D

It's small potatoes compared to the thread about the sad day at the boat show..... LOL.....:rolleyes:

Haha, yeah man that sounded like a bad deal!

DemolitionMan
03-12-2013, 09:57 PM
This should be what you need.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/3658042649.html

96prostar190
03-12-2013, 10:00 PM
This should be what you need.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/3658042649.html
Hey thanks for posting that, someone else posted the same one but I didn't look close at it till just now. That trailer is CLEARLY a 190 trailer vs. what I have.

Thanks again, I'll shoot this guy an email.

tdjaster
03-13-2013, 12:33 AM
Oh nice dude! I've taken our boat out there a couple of times, actually got stuck on the ramp there when I had a 2WD truck haha. I'm up in Little Rock AR now for about two more months for work.

Your boat looks great!! I'm jonesin to get out of work right now so I can mess around w the boat. Ill make sure to post pics, anything u want to see in specific?

I don't know what it is about that ramp but you can't pull ANY boat out in 2WD, it's crazy!

My sister and her family are actually in Little Rock, I've been there many times.

The biggest issue with the trailer will be tongue weight. If you're okay with that, then you're okay with the trailer...besides the fact that it looks weird. As you read on my earlier post, I had over 600# on the tongue, which was not good. I tried for several months to find some kind of a fortuitous trailer swap but it wouldn't happen without me shelling out a couple grand and I wasn't down with that. I'm perfectly happy with the way my trailer turned out.

Also, an unexpected bonus was that the extra long tongue provides a little more space to walk between the truck and the boat.

Barefooter92
03-13-2013, 08:36 AM
Well the problem is obvious...you have a short PS190!:D

Very strange indeed.

Ski-me
03-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Hey thanks for posting that, someone else posted the same one but I didn't look close at it till just now. That trailer is CLEARLY a 190 trailer vs. what I have.

Yea, but your trailer clearly states it's also for a PS190 so if correct, your trailer and the CL trailer should be identical. :confused:

If he was near by, I would just pull yours to his house and compare. I just can't imagine the 2001 190 is that much longer than your 96. :confused:

Ski-me
03-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Just looking at the manuals for the two years.....

2001 190 Boat Length = 20' 11-1/2"
1996 190 Boat Length = 19' 5"

Over a foot difference!!

etduc
03-13-2013, 11:07 AM
A full side-view to compare to other's 190s, on trailer for comparison, would be helpful. For weight proper distribution. You don't want a too light tongue weight, as it can cause towing issues. Mainly, porpoising at high highway speeds.

This is a easy fix, for any welding shop. Much cheaper, than new trailer, for an old boat.

Look at other's 190s, for side views. There's probably some of Kyle's boat, on various threads.

Like other's have mentioned, it is probably a 205 trailer, with a 190 tag.

etduc
03-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Here's a few, I borrowed, from the forum. Last is a single axle 205, for comparison.

Duane D
03-13-2013, 12:32 PM

Here is an advertised one in GA for sale too. Not sure what it looks like, but is $1k less than the other one posted...

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/boa/3670677725.html

thatsmrmastercraft
03-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Here is an advertised one in GA for sale too. Not sure what it looks like, but is $1k less than the other one posted...

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/boa/3670677725.html

That's a great price as long as it is solid.

96prostar190
03-13-2013, 12:50 PM
When I bought the trailer he did say it was for a 2001 190, just as the tag and serial number state. So if a 2001 prostar is a whole foot longer, that makes sense. I guess for now ill hang onto it.

Thanks for posting the one about GA, ill look into that one as well.

I think the best option for now though is re welding the front of the trailer. Your pics helped a lot amd give me a good idea. Ill have to check the tongue weight. You said yours was 600#? What's it suppose to be?

Thanks everybody for your help!

96prostar190
03-13-2013, 01:11 PM
I don't know what it is about that ramp but you can't pull ANY boat out in 2WD, it's crazy!

My sister and her family are actually in Little Rock, I've been there many times.

The biggest issue with the trailer will be tongue weight. If you're okay with that, then you're okay with the trailer...besides the fact that it looks weird. As you read on my earlier post, I had over 600# on the tongue, which was not good. I tried for several months to find some kind of a fortuitous trailer swap but it wouldn't happen without me shelling out a couple grand and I wasn't down with that. I'm perfectly happy with the way my trailer turned out.

Also, an unexpected bonus was that the extra long tongue provides a little more space to walk between the truck and the boat.
I know man! That day we traded the truck in for a 4X4. Couldn't believe it!

Barefooter92
03-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Here's a few, I borrowed, from the forum. Last is a single axle 205, for comparison.

ETDUC: Where did you find that first picture? I think thats my boat! Oops sorry thats a 190! Looks good though

96prostar190
03-13-2013, 01:14 PM
ETDUC: Where did you find that first picture? I think thats my boat!
Your boat looks great man. I wish my boat had your colors!

etduc
03-13-2013, 01:15 PM
ETDUC: Where did you find that first picture? I think thats my boat!

Go to top of the page. Click on showroom, then click prostar. Then it is a manual search.
It was posted by: bailey78 (this forum)