PDA

View Full Version : Let's break the record!!

T Scott
09-18-2005, 11:30 AM
I was noticing that according to the home page, the most users we have ever had on the site at one time was:

"Most users ever online was 276, 10-08-2004 at 09:46 PM"

Let's see if we can break that record with an unofficial online meeting. Let's all try to be on the site one week from today, Sept 25 at 9:00pm Eastern Standard time. What do you think.....can we break the old record??????

André
09-18-2005, 11:36 AM
The server will probably go down... :D
Really not sure that the 276 number is for real. :friday:
Never saw anything close to that... :confused:

Farmer Ted
09-18-2005, 12:41 PM
The server will probably go down... :D
Really not sure that the 276 number is for real. :friday:
Never saw anything close to that... :confused:

I thought TT Admin said that high number was due to the search engine mining information or something to that effect.

Ric
09-18-2005, 12:57 PM
I thought TT Admin said that high number was due to the search engine mining information or something to that effect.
you are correct sir, Yes.

bigmac
09-18-2005, 01:17 PM

There's a huge and increasing numbers of web-crawlers and bots out there cruising all these various discussion forums. I own and administer two different V-bulletin discussion forums (it feels kind of wierd being on a forum here and not having admin privileges) and I'm always interested in the amount of bandwidth those search engines suck up. I note that many of them will send out several bots to the same site and the larger the site (more posts), the more bots they will use. About once a month, I get these huge spikes in bandwidth and it's always a coincidental occurrence of several bots cruising the site at the same time. I can easily envision a couple of hundred bots and crawlers on TMC forums, given it's huge size and activity.

Ric
09-18-2005, 01:21 PM
since you are "in the know", what does this mean to us clowns who not only don't have admin priveliges, but also no knowledge of the implications of these robots?

bigmac
09-18-2005, 04:39 PM
since you are "in the know", what does this mean to us clowns who not only don't have admin priveliges, but also no knowledge of the implications of these robots?

Oh, there really are no consequences to us users. These bots, spiders and crawlers are stictly for search engines like google (googlebot), MSN (msnbot) etc. Not long ago, before the search engine wars, the only way that a site like TMC would come up in a search engine is if someone's search on Google (or whatever) happened to include one of the keywords that the Admin physically put in the metatags section of this website's html header. Now, these bots will hit tihs site and go through each and every post and will actually allow the various search engines to match search strings to keywords and/or phrases in individual posts themselves. For example, type "swimsuit thread" into Google, see what comes up on top...I feel pretty certain it's not because TMC is paying Google to get that search string to the top of the search...

The consequences are almost entirely to TMC, in that all that search bot activity on this site contributes to its bandwidth useage. My guess is that, since TMC is so busy, it already has so much bandwidth that the bot activity is not an issue.

Ric
09-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Cool
kinda like dougs trailer search..................
Oh, there really are no consequences to us users. These bots, spiders and crawlers are stictly for search engines like google (googlebot), MSN (msnbot) etc. Not long ago, before the search engine wars, the only way that a site like TMC would come up in a search engine is if someone's search on Google (or whatever) happened to include one of the keywords that the Admin physically put in the metatags section of this website's html header. Now, these bots will hit tihs site and go through each and every post and will actually allow the various search engines to match search strings to keywords and/or phrases in individual posts themselves. For example, type "swimsuit thread" into Google, see what comes up on top...I feel pretty certain it's not because TMC is paying Google to get that search string to the top of the search...

The consequences are almost entirely to TMC, in that all that search bot activity on this site contributes to its bandwidth useage. My guess is that, since TMC is so busy, it already has so much bandwidth that the bot activity is not an issue.