PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Replacement - PrecisionStar??

98Prostar205
03-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Well, my pitot tubes are leaking at the transom where they enter the boat. I've been wanting to upgrade to some form of GPS speedo for some time so now seems like a good opportunity. So I've got some questions for my fellow MC'ers:

1 - What is the best way to seal up the 2 holes at the transom where the pitot tubes used to enter the boat?

2 - Anybody have the precision star GPS speedo sold by PerfectPass?

3 - Should I just go ahead and upgrade to PP Stargazer 3-event?

4 - What should I do with the other OEM speedo that will still be in the dash but not used? My MCOCD won't like a guage sitting there that doesn't work!

Ski-me
03-11-2013, 03:11 PM
I'd install PP Stargazer and then run a new tube and Pitot Pickup to the remaining Speedo if that's not working well now. I just re-sealed mine with some clear silicone.

In fact, I used one of the holes for my temp sensor for the lake water.

east tx skier
03-11-2013, 03:13 PM
1. 3M 5200 sealant.

2. Not I.

3. Yes.

4. Is the pickup the issue or is it the ballast tube that's the problem. If the former, just buy a replacement pickup and enjoy. I like a good analog speedo to compliment SG. Especially useful in river current.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Could do the whole nine yards and replace the insides with Classic Boatworks GPS conversions.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52268&highlight=airguide

98Prostar205
03-11-2013, 03:22 PM
4. Is the pickup the issue or is it the ballast tube that's the problem. If the former, just buy a replacement pickup and enjoy. I like a good analog speedo to compliment SG. Especially useful in river current.

I believe its just the rubber tubing between the pickup and ballast tube. I had the gas tank out to replace my exhaust flanges. While I had it out I thought I would put the boat in the lake and check for any other leak. Turns out water is getting in right around both tubes. There was already a large blob of clear silicone around the existing hoses but somehow water was getting in. I guess it is to be expected on a 15 yr old boat.

Where can I get replacement tubing?

thatsmrmastercraft
03-11-2013, 03:28 PM
SKIDIM has it.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=5100632

Ski-me
03-11-2013, 03:32 PM
And this too.....

This folds down so you don't accidentally snap your old one off while walking behind the boat in the garage.....:rolleyes:

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=769B

drschemel
03-11-2013, 04:05 PM
And this too.....

This folds down so you don't accidentally snap your old one off while walking behind the boat in the garage.....:rolleyes:

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=769B

I put those pitot pick-ups on my boat a few years ago. they are an upgrade from the original (which are no longer available anyway!) and if you saw off the upper part of the flange and elongate the hole on either side slightly, it will fit back in the same screw holes as the original came out of. The tube goes through a separate hole, so it remains the same.

east tx skier
03-11-2013, 04:26 PM
I put those pitot pick-ups on my boat a few years ago. they are an upgrade from the original (which are no longer available anyway!) and if you saw off the upper part of the flange and elongate the hole on either side slightly, it will fit back in the same screw holes as the original came out of. The tube goes through a separate hole, so it remains the same.

Yep. Just use the original holes in the boat, and drill holes in the replacement pickup using the original pickup as a guide. Ignore the top hole. Coat the screw threads in 3M 5200 and screw it in. Definite improvement. If they still work, put your old pickups up for sale. If I recall, I think I got around $75 a piece for my old OEM pickups. Like you mention, they are NLA and some people will pay the premium to keep their boat looking all original below the waterline. I prefer function over form.

98Prostar205
03-12-2013, 11:09 AM
I'd install PP Stargazer and then run a new tube and Pitot Pickup to the remaining Speedo if that's not working well now. I just re-sealed mine with some clear silicone.

In fact, I used one of the holes for my temp sensor for the lake water.

Which temp sensor do you have? I would like to install a stand alone temp sensor and I like your idea of using one of the pitot tube holes for this purpose.

east tx skier
03-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Which temp sensor do you have? I would like to install a stand alone temp sensor and I like your idea of using one of the pitot tube holes for this purpose.

I had the same thing done on mine. I have a Faria Depth Finder/Air/Water Temp Sensor. I ran the wiring for my water temp sensor through the tubing hole for the pitot pickup on the starboard side. Or, I should say, the mechanic who installed it for me did. I got a special sized thru-hull (not in-hull) depth finder pickup that fits the 2" hole from my old (no longer used) Perfect Pass paddle wheel. The depth finder pickup is flush mounted through the hole.

Air temp sensor is just tossed up under the dash.

Kevin&Annie
03-12-2013, 12:41 PM
We have a Precision Star on our boat. (it was on there when we bought it) I havent been impressed. It usually takes 30 minutes to triangulate and then only works on and off. If you shut the boat down and start it back up it has to go through that all over again. It doesnt take quite as long but still another 5 or 10 min before it picks up the satelites the second time.

98Prostar205
03-12-2013, 12:59 PM
I had the same thing done on mine. I have a Faria Depth Finder/Air/Water Temp Sensor. I ran the wiring for my water temp sensor through the tubing hole for the pitot pickup on the starboard side. Or, I should say, the mechanic who installed it for me did. I got a special sized thru-hull (not in-hull) depth finder pickup that fits the 2" hole from my old (no longer used) Perfect Pass paddle wheel. The depth finder pickup is flush mounted through the hole.

Air temp sensor is just tossed up under the dash.

You have part numbers for this (gauge and xducer)? I have an unused opening in my hull just to the port side of the drain plug. This was used by the PO for the suction side of his ballast pump. Would this be too far forward on the hull to read while at speed?

Ski-me
03-12-2013, 02:14 PM

I did this one....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=35245&highlight=Faria

98Prostar205
03-12-2013, 02:27 PM
I did this one....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=35245&highlight=Faria

where did you wind up mounting your depth transducer?

Ski-me
03-12-2013, 02:37 PM
where did you wind up mounting your depth transducer?

Mine was epoxied to the bottom of the hull just next to the shaft. Mine is NOT a thru-hull type transducer. Just one that is epoxied to the inside. The temp sensor was positioned in the old pitot location and I reused the rubber tubing hole for the temp sensor wires.

If you already have a hole in your hull, some of the transducers have build in temp sensors too.

I just didn't want to drill through my boat bottom if I didn't have to.

The drawback of my water temp sensor is when I'm moving at full speed. Once the sensor is out of the water, it spikes up. As soon as you slow down and get it submerged again, it only takes about 30 second to aclimate to the lake water again.

Ski-me
03-12-2013, 02:40 PM
http://faria-instruments.com/transducers.php

I have the SN2010 transducer

You might want the SN0031 transducer

Ski-me
03-12-2013, 02:45 PM
http://www.boatersland.com/far-13852.html

This is the one that also gives you 3 choices:

Transom
In-hull
Thru-hull

88 PS190
03-12-2013, 05:25 PM
We have a Precision Star on our boat. (it was on there when we bought it) I havent been impressed. It usually takes 30 minutes to triangulate and then only works on and off. If you shut the boat down and start it back up it has to go through that all over again. It doesnt take quite as long but still another 5 or 10 min before it picks up the satelites the second time.

You should call PP - they support very well, it may be where the reciever is mounted, or a configurable issue. Other than that, you might consider wiring it to the aux switch so it can stay on while you boat.

east tx skier
03-12-2013, 09:55 PM
You have part numbers for this (gauge and xducer)? I have an unused opening in my hull just to the port side of the drain plug. This was used by the PO for the suction side of his ballast pump. Would this be too far forward on the hull to read while at speed?

First, what size is the hole. About a year after I got this specially sized transducer, I heard that others were told that it was NLA. But here's what I could find.

Faria white Depth/Water/Air Temp. gauge. Here's the tricky part, you need to order it with Part Number SN0036A, which is a thru-hull transducer with depth and temp that requires a 2" hole (this is different from the standard transducer, but the price is the same). You also have to order the air temp. probe separately because of the special transducer.

Good luck.

98Prostar205
03-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Just ordered my PP Stargazer 3-event today. Should be here Wednesday or Thursday!

Table Rocker
03-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Just ordered my PP Stargazer 3-event today. Should be here Wednesday or Thursday!
Where did you order from? How much? That upgrade is on my short list.

98Prostar205
03-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Ordered direct from Perfect Pass. It was $1349 and no charge for shipping. It better be worth it! I think I read every post on this site regarding perfect pass and the overwhelming majority seem to think that after having it they couldn't live without it. We'll see!

Table Rocker
03-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Ordered direct from Perfect Pass. It was $1349 and no charge for shipping. It better be worth it! I think I read every post on this site regarding perfect pass and the overwhelming majority seem to think that after having it they couldn't live without it. We'll see!That seems to be the unanimous opinion! Thanks for the info.

east tx skier
03-18-2013, 04:03 PM
That seems to be the unanimous opinion! Thanks for the info.

I would never be without some sort of high end cruise control. It makes an incredible difference.

Table Rocker
03-18-2013, 04:18 PM
I would never be without some sort of high end cruise control. It makes an incredible difference.
I would love to know for myself soon. I need to file my taxes and see if I am in the black or the red.

Hmmm, my wife's birthday is coming up and it might cause me to yell at her less while she is driving. ;)

98Prostar205
03-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Just got my tracking # emailed to me!! Its gonna be here Thursday!

98Prostar205
03-23-2013, 06:34 PM
Installed the perfect pass today. Hopefully the weather will hold out tomorrow and I can go play in the lake a little bit :). Here's a before and after.

charrison327
07-15-2013, 05:17 PM
that looks good.... i'm thinking about bitting the bullet and doing the same thing

JMLVMI
07-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Where did you order from? How much? That upgrade is on my short list.

Check out Skier to Skier...they have a decent discount (join their club by email) and seem to be very well-respected when it comes to speed control.

JMLVMI
07-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Just posted over on another thread...after today's missed opportunity to ski on a bluebird day due to lack of drivers comfortable with towing a skier (yet), this is one thing I'm not going to let stand in the way of my skiing anymore!